[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Working at a gun store
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1461353902422.jpg (117 KB, 720x543) Image search: [Google]
1461353902422.jpg
117 KB, 720x543
Hey /k/ I just filled out an application at a local gun shop. Any gun store employees have any advice to share? I've seen peoples opinions of working at one go either way, but I like the prospect of being around things I love all day, so I'll give it a shot.

I know it's not guaranteed that I'll get hired, but there are some other local firearms related options I can try if this one doesn't pan out.

Thank's in advance for anything.
>>
>>30021052
When you quit you should put a round in one or two of the display guns
>>
>>30021081
This.
Also having worked at one for nearly 3 years you will see the worst of people and have very bitter outlook on the average gun owner
>>
>>30021052

>I like the prospect of being around things I love all day

No, anon. The quickest way to make yourself hate a hobby is to do it for money. Have you ever worked in customer service before? It fucking sucks, right? You see the stupidest, shittiest, most fucked up people ever.
This is the exact same thing, except now guns are involved.

I wouldn't do it.
>>
I've been working at one part time while I go to school. It's a range and gunstore and most of my job has me at the range.

Pros
>you get good deals (I've paid an average of 200$ under street price for the guns I've bought working there, some deals were better than others)
>ammo will be cheaper
>you get to fondle many many guns
>you learn a lot of shit about your state laws and NFA items
>you can shoot for free
>you can carry a gun (if that floats your boat)
>learn some cool shit from coworkers and the customers that actually know their shit
>you can become friends with regulars who have cool guns and let you shoot them

Cons
>prepare to be fucking swamped come election season or anytime nbc reports on a mass shooting. These aren't fun either, you get an influx of tards who know nothing about firearms yet think they're smarter then everyone else because they have the inside scoop on when they're going to be banned. They come in fucking droves with their families in tow
>you will deal with people who just can't handle guns safely. This means people will come in with loaded guns when they think they're unloaded and then get mad at you for telling them they made a mistake. These people will also tell you that a 380 and 38 are the same thing
>you will deal with creepers who will single you out because you showed them pity interest in their sporterized mosin etc
>you might get shot when you do a range walk through and somebody turns around excitedly with then gun because they hit a bullseye
>people will bring their families with them because it sounds like fun to go shooting for the day but no one has any experience with any firearms ever. Be prepared to teach all 12 of them basic firearm safety and answer questions like "why would I need a decocker?" Or "can a 380 go in 38 special?" Repeat this for hours on end

In the end it all depends on your outlook. The job might annoy me sometimes but the pros definitely outway the cons. Im very lucky imo
>>
>>30021679
I've been dealing with absolute fucktards my entire life, I live in an area notorious for the 'tism, which is actually why I feel decent about getting a job here as I have several things employers get wet over.

How can I stop someone from sweeping someone with an "unloaded" gun without sounding too dickish? I've never done it professionally before, I've just yelled at them. And is it necessary to educate them on every stupid thing they say?
>>
>>30021867
be in close proximity to them so you can go and prevent the gun from being pointed at anything important.
aka slap it out of their hands before they shoot someone
>>
>>30021867
holy shit, being around autistic people with firearms all day sounds like an absolute nightmare
>>
Academy gun seller here, it always warmed my heart spendin time with customers who had no clue about guns and they decided they were gonna get their kids guns too.

The same questions get repetitive though.
>>
I've been working at an LGS for about a year now and you will realize the stupid gun owners outnumber the normal/smart gun owners by alot. People will want a holster/magazine/whatever for they're gun and bring it in loaded while they swear it's unloaded. Our policy is if a firearm is out of its holster/case we will clear it immediately. When a round pops out of the chamber after they flagged you a dozen times just walking in theyll laugh it off while you want to slap the fuck out of them. Dumb people become dangerous when they have a gun.

But I get sweet deals on new/used stuff, I'm getting an Aimpoint PRO today at cost and a lightly used M&P 9 full size for 300.

Also if the sale seems sketchy just pass on it. It probably was. Remember that you're liable if you facilitate a straw purchase and there's video/audio or its an ATF sting. Just ask yourself how many times a gun shop has passed on selling a gun to you, that number is probably 0, if it's higher you're doing something wrong.
>>
>>30021969
>/k/
It's been a pleasant dream so far
>>
>>30021949
Guy who made the pros and cons post earlier.

Do what he said, firmly place your hand (not aggressively) over the top of the bag/box/container or gun if they try whipping it out. At the range we only want to check ammo, we don't want to check firearms for the fear of one being loaded when someone thinks it's unloaded. Always ask when they walk in the store if it's safe and unloaded because even its a small percentage of the time when someone answers "yes" you can avoid an accident by simply telling them to go outside and clear it.
>>
>>30021988
I got a job there about a month ago and I feel the same way. Every once in a while you get the idiots, but it's a pretty fun job all in all.
>>
>>30021052
It's a retail job. All retail jobs suck
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.