[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
.22 LR for Self Defense
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 11
File: NAA_BLACK_WIDOW_0707-1_1.jpg (14 KB, 671x415) Image search: [Google]
NAA_BLACK_WIDOW_0707-1_1.jpg
14 KB, 671x415
I'm sure this thread has been done to death but as a recent /K/onvert im interested in serious opinions.

Wife cannot shoot anything heavier than a .22 LR accurately due to being very petite, even with regular professional firearms instruction (not me) at local range.

I bought her NAA Black Widow (pic very related) and she is delighted, hitting ten ring with it @ 15 yards. Using HQ .22LR ammo never a misfire - she is confident as fuck and ready to throw down if necessary. Why would I ever want to transition her to .38 when she has already tried it and hated it? RFK was taken down by a .22 short, the LE from "The Thin Blue Line" was taken out by a .22 short as well. Innumerable people have been taken out by .22LR body shots at close range and I know from a friend's experience that getting shot by a .22 is immensely painful and debilitating, even if it is in an extremity (in his case the leg), what's the point of pushing women into "serious" self protection calibers if it means they can't handle them effectively and would be afraid to use them?
>>
.22 mag.
>>
>>30005438
From a 2" barrel there is no ballistix advantage and a lot more flash and noise fuxing up follow up shots. I did some research:

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22mag.html
>>
>>30005425
>Wife cannot shoot anything heavier than a .22 LR accurately due to being very petite

911 in speed dial and training to find the nearest corner to hide in because she's a bitch
>>
If you're going to use a .22 LR for self defense you may as well not even bother and just ask the intruder/rapist/murderer nicely to leave you alone and hope they take so much pity on you that they leave.
>>
>>30005438
/thread
Just tell her it's a .22, but it'll be slightly more powerful.

There's no doubt that you could kill or at least deter someone with .22 LR. It's still a metal projectile traveling close to (or exceeding) the speed of sound, so it might take a few shots to the body or one to the head, but it'll definitely stop a person. .22 mag will just do it better
>>
>>30005454
faggot detected
>>
Get her a a really cool .380 to transition. She'll be OCing an Obrez in no time
>>
>>30005460
OK how many "intruders" have you shot ?
>>
>>30005466
That's cute. Anything to add?
>>
>>30005476
Yes, you suck cocks.
>>
File: swearengen.jpg (12 KB, 290x260) Image search: [Google]
swearengen.jpg
12 KB, 290x260
>>30005476
by choice
>>
>>30005425
One of Dad's friends is an ex-Navy frogman who would up in SEAL Team Two, and he has a teeny tiny wife too. When their neighborhood in San Diego started to turn sketchy, he bought her a Ruger Mk. II. Dump mag center of mass then reload, and he made her practice. Like hitting the bad guy with buckshot one at a time.

So have her practice firing as fast as she can, then reloading the little bugger. Use hypervel hollowpoints. She'll be fine.
>>
>>30005471
Have tried it all, she is really not able to handle .380 unless slow fire single action. She can rapid fire single action .22LR with 2 handed grip like a motherfucker - am looking for real gunfighter knowledge not queer teenagers dropping "knowledge". Thanks.
>>
>>30005425
Same reason as people push women into revolvers--they're dumb.

My wife is also petite, also has difficulty with any kind of larger rounds and dislikes using them immensely. She's still more than able to rack the slide on any handgun once she was shown the proper cross-body motion to do it. Yet dolts insist that "women need revolvers".

Same concept.

>mind, I wouldn't use .22short, there was a case study where it literally just stuck into a guy's forehead without penetrating into flesh. The guy stopped his attack, so it still hurt like a mother, which was probably good for him as the guy who shot him was ex-Green Beret (who was given a lot of shit afterwards for using a round that didn't take the guy off the streets permanently).
>>
>>30005501
Thanks, great point but Ruger MK2 was her first "fun gun" and we bought @ Cabellas but she wants something more concealable she can take with her and it's still a large "holster" gun - the Widow disappears in her pocket.
>>
>>30005535
Link to case study? My wife can rack too but watching it I just cringe, if I were and assailant at <5 feet I would just step in and take it away. That's what I'm afraid of - I want her to be able to pull and shoot and she can with .22LR.
>>
>>30005501
Yup, this is what I (>>30005535) did as well, with an SR-22.

I can't even get her to confidently hold a Marlin 60, but the SR-22 is no problem and frankly, some CCI Mini-Mags are going to wreck a person's day especially when you can dump 12 per mag.
>>
>>30005552
It's been 2 years since I've read it, and I don't recall where, sorry. Mind, .22lr is a different beast than .22short.

(And there's not really much reason she should need to rack barring a malfunction--keep the fucker loaded with one in the chamber.)

Hell my biggest problem is having gotten the purple color to try and make it more appealing to her (failed attempt), which in the process makes it less intimidating for a perp... bleh.
>>
>>30005579
Any Idea what the lowest trigger pull DAO 380 ACP pistol is ? Again, I want to train her to pull and shoot instinctually, so a light trigger pull would be important if I did try to move her to .380. Thanks.
>>
>>30005612
Why DAO? Why not something like the Sig P238 if you wanted to try moving her up in caliber?
>>
>>30005622
Please explain - our neighborhood is changing :)
>>
>>30005538
That's all fine. She wants a cellphone sized gun, she has one. Have her practice rapid fire and reloading anyway.
>>
>>30005425
Just have her use whatever she is best able to handle. If she has a hard time racking the slide, have her carry with a round chambered so that it isn't an issue.

She isn't one of those women who carries in a purse, is she? Because that shit is dumb.

I still think you need to keep her at it with other calibers, but .22 will kill an assailant just fine if need be. Maybe see if she can get into a makarov. My girlfriend is a 4'11" 100 pound chinese girl. She handles a makarov just fine, but it took some practice. 9x18 is a slightly more snappy .380. Ammo isn't always easy to find, but you can pretty much always find it online, so just buy 500 rounds and reorder when you drop to 100 rounds or so.
>>
>>30005629
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_Sauer_P238
Can carry it cocked and locked (safety on) and fire it SAO then.

Otherwise, I don't know the answer to your question re: smoothest DAO, BUT I would suspect it is the new LCP Custom, with the red trigger.
>>
>>30005622
Also, to eliminate excess manual processes, I know that we should all be warriors ready to take on the world but she is not, I wan her to have the simplest and most teachable shooting experience so it become 2nd nature with drill.
>>
>>30005425
.22lr has killed plenty of people.

Most cases of armed self defense do not end with a shot fired anyway.

Most of those cases where a shot is fired do not end in the death of the attacker.

.22lr is not the most reliable caliber and being a rimfire is more likely to have a missfire. A revolver helps mitigate this risk as the process to keep on shooting is simply to keep on shooting.

A .22lr revolver for self defense is better then trying to use your car keys.

Try getting her to give a .380 or .38 a go but if all she shoots well with is a .22 then use that.
>>
>>30005654
>4'11" 100 pound chinese girl
pics
>>
>>30005660
>I know that we should all be warriors ready to take on the world but she is not
Brother, do I ever know that feel.
>>
>>30005681
Thank for saying so - trying to educate a middle class white girl from the "burbs" is tough enough. I don't want to make her unsure when she is so close to realizing self defense autonomy.
>>
>>30005661
Thanks, that's kind of what I think. I know I'm in the minority but I'm looking to hear from anyone with realistic self defense experience, if possible.
>>
>>30005655
Thanks, will look into it. :)
>>
File: crucify them all.jpg (18 KB, 480x712) Image search: [Google]
crucify them all.jpg
18 KB, 480x712
Goodnight all, some goods info. I will "lurk Moar"
>>
>>30005713
You think that's bad? Try educating a Korean whose country has basically no firearms culture or ownership, outside of the mandatory 2-yr conscription for men. Especially when that same girl is easily startled, not a fan of loud noises, scared of shooting larger calibers, and far more sensitive to pain than yourself.

But I try. Lordy do I try.
>>
>>30005425
Why not try a .327 magnum revolver with whatever outdated .32 ammo you want? You could easily adjust the recoil with different ammo, would be far more powerful, and would be a lot more reliable.
>>
File: Ellifritz_Incapacitation.png (35 KB, 500x319) Image search: [Google]
Ellifritz_Incapacitation.png
35 KB, 500x319
>>30005460
Horse shit. If what she can handle is .22lr them it's not much worse than any other handgun caliber.
>>
>>30005831
I feel you. Asianz are not my thing tho - they all seem to be "acting" to me. If you found a great one wherever you were stationed I am happy for you, seriously.

>>30005851
This is interesting. Can you explain this to a neophyte? (I do not reload).
>>
>>30005661
>>30005729
Well statistically something like 97% of self defense gun use causes the assailant to bail without shots fired. They're not going to pull out a calipers and go "Aha! That's only a .22 caliber barrel! Gotcha, bitch." That barrel is going to look like a cavern thanks to tunnel vision.

>>30005713
Just as pepper spray is better than nothing, .22lr is far better than pepper spray. Baby steps. Let her get more comfortable with carrying her Black Widow and then see how she feels trying something else--maybe something that lets her fire those .22lr rounds off faster than a manual cocking for each shot allows. Or something with more rounds. Or hey, maybe .32 or .380 in the right gun won't be so bad (especially with good grips on it to help eat the shock). But since she's at a decent point anyways, I wouldn't try to push anything further on her unless she's receptive to it after shooting it. She's already got more claws than most women with the Black Widow--a more useful defensive assistance would be making sure she's got good situational awareness and knows good defensive response to a threat.
>>
>>30005889
It's okay, American girls aren't my thing (speaking as an American)--the current culture makes tying the knot with one far too risky in my book, prenup or no. Likewise, I hope you selected well and have a happy marriage.

>at least her father likes to go hunting with me when he visits
>>
>>30005879
Thanks 4 the graph, where did you find this? This confirms my own suspicions... thank you. The point I want to reassure myslef on is that choosing a rimfire round for self defense is, in certain circumstances, as good as a center fire round. I have nver experienced serious malfunction with high quality rim fire rounds (CCI).
>>
>>30005889
A .327 magnum revolver can handle the powerful .327 magnum (which is roughly as powerful as .357 magnum, but it can also handle any .32 caliber load that is less powerful, like the .32 h&r, .32 s&w, and 32acp.
>>
>>30005926
Yeah I get you - I'm sure you have to, if her dad likes to hunt you're way ahead of me LOL.
>>
File: 1c3f540e.jpg (36 KB, 799x596) Image search: [Google]
1c3f540e.jpg
36 KB, 799x596
>>30005509
A S&W 317 eight shot j frame or Ruger LCP would be a step up from the Black Widow. It would give her the option of eight shots and double action.
>>
File: concern.png (2 MB, 806x952) Image search: [Google]
concern.png
2 MB, 806x952
>>30005879
>32 acp is more likely to stop an attacker with one shot than 357 mag
>>
>>30005933
Are .327 available commercially ? I have never seen anyone and I've just "goggled" it.
>>
>>30005879
>>30005932
I wouldn't lean too heavily on that study, its methodology is widely considered pretty flawed.

Look, rimfire is generally fine especially in a revolver where it can't jam up all the rounds following it if there's a problem. Keep using CCI, Minimags are about the best .22lr ammo out there (look up ShootingTheBull410 and his .22lr Ammo Quest if you want to see details, I know he used a short barrel NAA revolver for doing the tests too).
>>
>>30005986
It's not a very common caliber, and I only suggested it because I do not know personally how much recoil this person can handle. I only recommend it because the .327 revolver itself can shoot any .32 cartridge on the market that you can find. I'm mostly trying to pimp the .32 revolver concept to you
>>
>>30005932
It's from a paper where a coroner compiled recorded shootings and categorized them. I remember that he said 9mm was skewed by the military's use of fmj ammo and he felt that .44 Magnum data lacked enough recorded cases to be definitive.

Here's the article.
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power
>>
>>30006057
Again, that data is next to meaningless. Too many unaccounted for variables. One-shot-stop is a foolish thing to strive for anyways when you can find case studies of guys taking 5 .357mag rounds to the chest and staying in the fight (and killing the officer who put those rounds there with a .22lr round despite the officer's body armor), and SURVIVING the fight no less. Keep shooting until the threat stops.
>>
>>30005964
It should be noted that many stops are psychological stops, that is somebody gets shot and goes, "Oh fuck, I've been shot." Because it fucking hurts.

If you notice both .357 and.44 Magnum both have much higher lethality rates.
>>
>>30006132
>Because it fucking hurts.
And pain is scary. Especially with Hollywood showing guns to be far more lethal than reality.
>>
>>30006097
I don't disagree. The main thing I got from it was despite all the dickwaving caliber fanboys do for their favorite caliber, handguns are generally equally shitty compared to rifles until you get into big bore Magnum handguns.
>>
.25 ACP is the answer you are looking for.
>>
>>30006169
I got the same conclusion about handguns being anemic, but without the magnum exception. Unless you mean larger than .357mag, even .44mag.
>>
File: BulgarianMakTile1001.jpg (116 KB, 557x480) Image search: [Google]
BulgarianMakTile1001.jpg
116 KB, 557x480
>>30005425
>my wife can't shoot anything more than a .22 accurately
>She can shoot the lights out with a .22
>She has, in the past tried and disliked larger calibers

Is a single action .22 better than nothing? yes. Is a .22 anywhere near what I would consider adequate for defense of anyone I care about? no.

If she honestly can't shoot anything more, I'd opt for what >>30005501 or >>30005555 or a Walther P22, or an LCR .22 as they all offer significantly more firepower than an NAA.

I submit that perhaps her problem with larger calibers is that she is trying them in similar small sized pistols to those she has shot .22 in.

Consider allowing her to shoot a compact or full sized pistol with larger caliber such that the recoil will be more manageable.

I have spent a significant amount of time around full sized .357 magnum and .45 ACP full sized handguns and in my experience, both of those are significantly more comfortable to shoot than a subcompact .38 SPL or .380 ACP.

Consider, if she is at all capable of stepping up even a tiny bit up the caliber ladder, I would encourage her to try it again. Consider giving her the opportunity to try a larger pistol in .380 ACP or another caliber.

You might consider picking up one of the newly imported Makarov pistols as they are chambered in a caliber of very similar ballistics to .380 ACP (AKA 9mm kurtz), the(9x18 makarov, they are also significantly heavier and will thus will apply less snappy recoil.
>>
All these race traitors in this thread.
>>
>>30005425
just get one in 45-70
>>
>>30007025
i guess thats why the criteriea for most guys is shot to stop
>>
>>30006202
Yeah, that's what I meant. .44 Magnum, .454 Casull, .50AE and old school .357 Magnum, back when it was considered a large frame caliber among others.
>>
File: 1430833097820.webm (3 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1430833097820.webm
3 MB, 480x360
>>30006947

>giving a fuck about race and not tight asain pussy
>>
>>30007245

> Asain
>>
File: 1436862744765.gif (3 MB, 392x271) Image search: [Google]
1436862744765.gif
3 MB, 392x271
>>30007256

i'm on an androgynous imageboard idc about my speeelin
>>
how is a NAA single action a better choice than a basic ruger or buckmark 22 semiauto? not only are you choosing retard tier caliber for defense, but also retard tier platform
>>
>>30005425

My Mom is basically a tall hobbit. She can easily handle her 'purse gun' which is an 80's vintage S&W Model 49.
>>
File: So I shot her anyway.jpg (199 KB, 620x733) Image search: [Google]
So I shot her anyway.jpg
199 KB, 620x733
>>30005425

Well anyway if your wife is smart enough she will never get to use it.
>>
This post makes no sense. I hope your wife gets raped then pulls this and the attacker kills her with his problem solver.
>>
File: 22sss.jpg (180 KB, 600x466) Image search: [Google]
22sss.jpg
180 KB, 600x466
At least get her to try a LCR 22. If she can stand the trigger and carry it comfortably she'll have 8 shots in double action and a slightly more intimidating weapon.
>>
>>30005667
This pics for science
>>
>>30007298
>>>/b/
>>
>>30005425
I've seen a 15 yo 4'10'' ish adolescent girl with the upper body strength of a squid and very small hands handling a m&p shield accurately.

Your professional firearms instructor is crap.
>>
>>30005425
Get a ruger 10/22 rifle and get the drum mag that you can get from the store and once you do that proceed to get the automatic switch on it and make it full auto after hassling with tax stamps and shit.

When someone breaks into your home pull the trigger and watch as the guy turns into a dead guy in a matter of seconds.

Also make sure your using 22 hornets to increase the fear factor.
>>
>>30006947
>Not wanting an asian waifu that is into guns

What a fag
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.