[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sorry for being a new fag but are bolt action rifles still popular
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 1459808045771.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1459808045771.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
Sorry for being a new fag but are bolt action rifles still popular among the gun community
>>
>>30002346
Yes. I personally own two for precision shooting, as a semi-auto rifle of the same cost would be far less accurate.
>>
Nope. Once the semi auto became widespread in the 60s, the bolt action market dried up completely. That is why you'll see ww2 milsurp recommended on here so much, as very few new bolt actions have been produced in the last half century.
>>
>>30002377
Do you have any recommendations for a new gun owner? I frequently use shotguns but yhey arent my prefrence for hunting
>>
>>30002463
Not him, but what do you want to do with said rifle?

Light weight hunting gun? Long range target rifle? Close range target shooting?

Do you have caliber preferences, are you recoil sensitive?
>>
File: ww1rifles.jpg (151 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
ww1rifles.jpg
151 KB, 1200x1200
I would agree that bolt action rifles are the least popular category of firearms. Part because a lot of them look too similar to really stand out. Most WW1 bolt actions are more recognizable. If they are "still popular" depends on if you are a "fudd"
>>
>>30002346
Are they a gun?
>>
>>30002487
Im not recoil sensitive, would prefer medium to long range for hunting, any caliber is fine. Also im in ny
>>
>>30002630
Anything from Tikka, Weatherby, or Savage is likely to do the job well.
>>
>>30002644
Thanks
>>
>>30002346
Actually odd to see this as I'm looking at a Lee Enfield mk4 no1 at the moment since nugget market dried up.
>finally not a poorfag and can't find a gun I like.
>>
>>30002346
Yes. Go look at the product lineup for any major firearms manufacturer.

>>30002463
Try a Savage bolt action with removable magazine in any moderate-power cartridge, like .243 or 25-06 or 7mm-08. Put a Burris scope and a good leather sling on it and you are set for life.
>>
>>30002630

Caliber wise figure out what your hinting and find out what the smallest recommended caliber is for said beast.
>>30002644
Great places to start.

Depending on what range you are shooting and how you define long range hunting 10x might be way to much glass. Personally I don't take shots past 400 yards even if I consider that close range, and know I can make them, the bullet fairy can be cruel sometimes.

If you want to get into long range shooting, I would recommend this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwG-D0HjCBQ

, if you can last through 2 weeks worth of educational vids then you have the drive to actually be good at it, and will go in understanding shit most people take years to feel out.
>>
>>30002503
>too similar to stand out
Yea, because the 500 ARsand 200 AKs at the range don't all look exactly the same
>>
I love mine
https://youtu.be/iAPHmPjYH7Q
>>
>>30002346
by anyone worth their salt yes. the arg fag community speaks too loudly though. deluded """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""operators"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
>>
>>30002346
Deer hunters use them almost exclusively, except where rifle hunting is banned and they use 12ga shotguns. There are a few people that hunt with ARs or SKSes, but that's more of a /k/ demographic thing.
>>
File: ek am 5-22 004.jpg (45 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
ek am 5-22 004.jpg
45 KB, 640x480
If i'm not using my flintlock for hunting, i'll be using a bolt gun in .25-06.
>>
>>30003567
>flintlock for hunting
That's impressively hardcore. How close do you have to get to land an accurate hit?
>>
>>30003575
Mine is a longrifle, so about as far as i am skilled with it. That said, i never shoot anything more than 50 feet away. woods are too dense to even bother.

but even a smoothbore is capable of usable accuracy up to 80 yards.

Only real hassle is if your locktime is out of wack for whatever reason, the flash will scare off your prey before the bullet leaves the barrel. That's why i always test my pan before a hunt.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.