[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me out here /k/. My uncle is pretty much ready to kick the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Savage-99-1.jpg (26 KB, 1000x197) Image search: [Google]
Savage-99-1.jpg
26 KB, 1000x197
Help me out here /k/.
My uncle is pretty much ready to kick the bucket at this point. I was over at his house today to help him with some computer stuff, and we talked about my grandfather's rifle, which will be left to me.
Unfortunately, since it was only in passing, I only got a little information about it. It's a Savage 99, bought in the 50's, and uses a cartridge that isn't made anymore.
I was hoping to get an idea of what this might be exactly (Google has shown me a bunch of different rifles for the Savage 99), and what cartridge this is. He said he had a couple boxes of rounds, but they would have to be reloaded to get anymore as far he knew.
This will turn me from nogunz to onegun, so any help is appreciated.
>>
>>29955780
It shoots the savage .300 which you can still buy online. It's a fun brush gun but the round is hard to find since there are better rounds out there. Get it, clean it, cherish it, and when you get the chance put a few rounds through it.
>>
Bumping. I should also note that the gun was bought on layaway in the 50's, so it would be safe to assume that it was a recently produced model at the time.
>>
>>29955780
The 99 was made in a number of calibers. Do you happen to know which one this is?

>This will turn me from nogunz to onegun
Not a bad start, it's a very good rifle.
>>
>>29955780
most likely a savage cartridge, they made several of em. .300 savage, ,303 savage, etc. if you can examine the guns or the boxes, youll get a actually clue.

Your grandfather has a great taste in rifles, I would love a savage in .308 or .30-30
>>
>>29955868
I assume due to the fancy loading mechanism that other .30 rounds can't be used?
>>
>>29955903
Not yet, I haven't got a look at it yet. I'm just hoping it's the least special snowflake of the bunch. How much does reloading usually cost, if I went to a gunsmith?
>>
>>29955910
.300 Savage was the basis for the .308 Winchester (basically 7.62x51mm NATO), and I'm almost positive that all three uses a .308 projectile.

You don't need a gunsmith to do handloading, but you should probably consult some guides and ask a friend if it's your first time reloading cartridges.

If it's in .300 Savage, you should still be able to find that, even if not too common in the US.

I think that some variants were available in .30-30, and if yours is, you're in luck, because that's still popular.

>>29955910
How do you mean?
You can't shoot cartridges that don't fit, no, this isn't like a revolver where you can use shorter cartridges, all the chamberings available for the 99 are for bottle-necked cartridges as far as I'm aware.
>>
>>29956081
You need some special implements for reloading though, don't you? Although it sounds like no matter the case I can just buy more rounds.
I also essentially was asking if there is a modern equivalent to .300 Savage, but now I see it's still for sale anyway. Apparently it's popular in Europe since it is illegal in most countries to buy NATO rounds (i.e. .308).
>>
>>29956136
Online is your best bet. I'm not sure where you are but cabelas and bass pro both usually have it in stock. Just not cheap and usually only in soft point.
>>
>>29956260
I've got Gander Mountain nearby. I live on the NY side of the PA border. I'd only be using it for plinking anyway, so details of the bullets would prolly go unnoticed for me.
>>
>>29955780
A quick Google search turned up seven different .300 Savage loads from five manufacturers. Assuming it's in .300 Savage, there's ammo available for it.

Getting ammo may not be a problem, though. 1955 was the first year the 99 was chambered in .308 Winchester.
>>
>>29956360
That would be lucky, I guess we'll see.

Thanks for the help everyone. When I get it (hopefully not soon, I'm hoping my uncle can pull through), I will be sure to make a thread taking it apart and everything.
>>
>>29956292
if for plinking you may want to buy a cheap .22 or AR instead.
>>
>>29956419
I've been shooting before, and my friend's rifle in .308 felt fine. Also, I'd be getting this either way.
>>
>>29956523
I'm thinking more for cost reasons, anon
>>
>>29956136
>I also essentially was asking if there is a modern equivalent to .300 Savage
Well that'd be the .308, which replaced .30-06

>Apparently it's popular in Europe since it is illegal in most countries to buy NATO rounds (i.e. .308).
Military caliber laws are in -some- Euro countries, France and Spain for instance, but a lot don't specifically resrtrict on that basis, Germany, Finland, UK, Scandinavia, Czech Republic, you can get .308, 7.92mm, 9mm Luger, .223, etc like anything else.
Germany has laws on cartridge length on semi-auto rifles, Iceland doesn't allow anything larger than 8mm (also no handguns or semi-autos), even antiques, France considered. 32ACP a military cartridge until the 60's or 70's

.222 tends to replace .223 for these people, 7.65mm Luger, 9mm Steyr and 9mm IMI often replaces 9mm Luger, 7mm Mauser has been used to get around laws regarding 7.92mm Mauser since it was invented after WW1, .300WinMag takes the place of .30-06, and so on.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.