[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good evening /k/ thinking of getting the M&P9 full size but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 12
File: MP9.jpg (260 KB, 706x527) Image search: [Google]
MP9.jpg
260 KB, 706x527
Good evening /k/
thinking of getting the M&P9 full size but wanted to know what your thoughts are? Have you ever had experiences with it? Pros/Cons?
>>
Have you shot one before?
>>
>>29939744
Not particularly, I ventured a guess that is akin to firing a Glock of same length? Which I have had the opportunity of playing with
>>
>>29939732
>pros
God tier ergos
Low bore axis
Very soft shooter
Reliable
Decent aftermarket
Stupid easy to field strip

>cons
Trigger needs a break in to be decent
Lots of people bitch about the stock trigger

Get one used if you can so it's already broken in
>>
>>29939732
Only have a shield so I can't give much input.

They're the cheapest non shit fullsize 9mm handgun you can buy. If you're patient enough, you can find LEO trade ins for $350 which is a ridiculously good price for one.
>>
>>29939781
The one I'm looking at is used.
Thanks for the pro/con break down, do you own one?
>>
>>29939762
I'd recommend you shoot one. The grip is rather different from a Glock. In angle and width. I was surprised to find a G19 wider than my FNX45T. Trigger feel too.

It's a decent quality gun at a decent price. There are good deals ever so often that bring them down to right around $400. Lots of aftermarket.

I carried a 9c for a couple years before slimming down. I currently have a CORE and it's performing well. Have good experiences with both. I think that the grip is too slippery and needs tape. Have used Talon grips to get more of a grip.

Grip for me is more comfortable than a Glock but ergos are always very personal.

If capacity is a concern, Glock is going to have M&Ps beat. 17 rounders are the biggest you can get. Buy S&W only, none of that promag trash. You can upgrade with a +6 base pad from Taran Tactical to get 23 rounds. So still shy of the G18 33 round mags.
>>
>>29939797
Damn thats a nice price, should you swap out a barrel if acquiring a used police trade in?
>>
>>29939808
No, just shoot it. Modern handguns will outlast you.
>>
>>29939808
Wouldn't be needed generally but it wouldn't be a bad idea to swap out the recoil spring if you do find one that looks heavily used.

You'll probably have to shoot +100,000 rounds before the barrel requiring any replacements. Ontop of that, S&W from what I hear has incredibly good customer service.
>>
>>29939807
$30 for the +6, is it worth it?
>>
>>29939825
>> Ontop of that, S&W from what I hear has incredibly good customer service.

It depends. S&W is definitely a call for service company. They're not very responsive to electronic requests in my experience.
>>
>>29939817
>>29939825
Noted, spring first huh, where would one find quality at fair prices?
>>
>>29939828
That's a subjective question. For most people, the 17 rounders are more than enough. Some people just want more for either shiggles or for competition. Especially if you're rolling USPSA.

I paid $70 for my 28 round Kriss mags. So it's all up to how many bangs you want per shooty stick
>>
>>29939801
I've owned several. The 9 is one of my favorite pistols. I just picked up the .45, which I've heard a lot of good about. I shoot them better than any other pistol.

If you pay more than $400 for a used one, you're paying too much.
>>
>>29939732
With an apex trigger swap it's my favorite full time polymer nine.
>>
I've got a full-size 9 with apex trigger and sear installed. It was my first gun, shoots nice, handles nice, good capacity, feeds anything I have given it. Although it's nothing really special, just kinda does everything pretty decently.
>>
File: received_1044180128929974.jpg (19 KB, 480x325) Image search: [Google]
received_1044180128929974.jpg
19 KB, 480x325
What do you think a good conditioned G19 go for?
>>
>>29939853
Also learn to clean out the striker channel. Its an often neglected spot and a dirty striker channel can give you light strikes
>>
>>29939840
Brownells probably. I'd hold off though. Honestly, I'd just spend the money to buy more magazines and ammo.

If you start having problems, then call S&W before you go out and start trying to troubleshoot.

It will more than likely run fine until you're well into six digit counts of ammo through the gun.
>>
>>29939860
Gen 2 were going for about $350

Gen 3/4 should be about $400
>>
>>29939848
Well, shit...
>>29939853
So safe to assume you have an idea of what you're talking about
>>29939857
Sounds like money spent
>>29939863
I'll probably do a decent break down first thing
>>29939871
So mags and ammo it is!
>>
>>29939860
I would either buy a trade in for $350-$400. What's good about buying a le used glock is they generally have the plastic sights removed and I couldn't be fucked to buy a new glock and have to pay extra money for tritiums

Just be ready to jump on a trade in G19 if you ever find one, they are very desireable.
>>
>>29939857
this. I won't use any other polymer striker as long as I have my M&P's with the Apex kits.
>>
>>29939807
Who cares about capacity on a pistol? Carry extra mags, or carry a long gun.
>>
Anyone have an Apex flat faced trigger? It's an expensive upgrade.

Just wondering if it's worth it. I have a CORE setup so the break and reset are crisp. The trigger flex and pull weight is outright trash though... Makes me wish I had bought another FN sometimes but whatever.
>>
File: 1458100563583.jpg (86 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1458100563583.jpg
86 KB, 640x480
>>29939857
>>29939906
I keep teetering back and forth considering on getting the apex kit for my shield.

Would it be dumb to get the actual trigger instead of the trigger upgrade? I have literally no problems with the reset and slack but the two piece trigger is a little annoying.
>>
>>29939863
You aren't supposed to clean the striker channel on normal breakdowns. Thats how shit gets in there in the first place. Its supposed to be kept bone dry.
>>
>>29939926
That's what 1911 fanboys used to say with their puny single stacks.
>>
File: IMG_6926-Lg.jpg (184 KB, 1024x791) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6926-Lg.jpg
184 KB, 1024x791
Buy a usp9 instead.
>>
>>29939732
carried one for 3 years. good stuff.
>>
>>29939953
>>29939857
>>29939781

Quick question, whats with the mag safety? It makes using it a bitch doesn't it?
>>
>>29940018
You mean the mag disconnect? I'm quite sure you can easily disable this. Thankfully, it's not on shields
>>
>>29940028
Thats the one.
>>
File: IMG_4810.jpg (581 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4810.jpg
581 KB, 1280x1024
>>29939940
I suppose, it would work no problem but I guarantee if you were shooting stock vs full trigger kit side-by-side, you would chose the full kit. I can't really say anything else except that I'm more than satisfied in spending the money on the kits for my two M&P's.
>>
File: mynewshield.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1125) Image search: [Google]
mynewshield.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1125
>>29939940
Get the full upgrade. You might feel that you have no problems with the stock one, but you WILL be more accurate with the lighter pull weight and crisper break.

This is one one I bought: http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/trigger-parts/triggers/red-m-p-shield-action-enhancement-trigger-prod78716.aspx

I got it directly from apex (out of stock atm). I had my local smith install it for me, he charged me 60 bucks. All things considered, it came out to be about the same price as a Glock 43, but vastly superior in my opinion.

I'd have no problem recommending the upgrade to anyone. A bit pricey and involved, but worth it.
>>
>>29939732
Had one and a glock, the FNS platform shits all over both. I liked the vp9 and thought that was the best poly striker gun until I saw the torture tests...
>>
>>29940018
,,,mine didn't have one.
>>
>>29940099
I really want the full upgrade but I'm apprehensive on removing and putting back the sight. Not that good of a shot so rezeroing it can be a pain.

Can you get away with not touching the rear sight when installing it or is it something mandatory? The range I go to doesn't allow rapid fire so I might not really want the upgrade tbqh
>>
File: image.jpg (241 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
241 KB, 900x600
What I'm about to say may be a meme, but real police who have gotten into real gunfights (Jim Cirillo, for ex.) said, "it's funny that so many ppl say,'oh, that gun's too heavy', until you get into a fight and you'll wish you had the biggest gun with biggest caliber you could carry." I like my .45 1911 but I know it's not as reliable/light/ergo as my M&P 9 designed 100 yrs later! (Pic: not my gun/photo shows Crimson trace laser grip installed)
>>
>>29940469
What you said is true.

It's also important to realize that the opinions that people share about handguns are completely worthless. The only thing worth sharing is experience, and no one here has any experience to share.
>>
>>29940406
If the shield is anything like the full-size, then you will need to remove the rear sight to replace the firing pin block. The new sear will need the firing pin block to be replaced as it changes the timing of the trigger pull.

I'm not sure how the gun will function without replacing that part, I would imagine if anything, it just wouldn't fire, or maybe the firing pin block won't engage if the sear releases the striker without a trigger pull.
>>
I had to choose between an M&P and a Glock
and I went with the Glock .

M&P parts and magazines are NO where near as common/available as Glock parts .
What you can find costs more .
If you plan on stocking parts/mags for multiple handguns parts and mag availability are a concern .
>>
File: thumbnail_IMG_1034.jpg (575 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail_IMG_1034.jpg
575 KB, 1280x1280
If you have any sense of aesthetics (like me) you will get the Pro instead for the extra inch which makes the gun flush with a flashlight...I seriously dont understand how people can tolerate having a flashlight that isnt flush with the rest of the gun, its quite horrid really
>>
>>29940707
>M&P parts and magazines are NO where near as common/available as Glock parts .

life isn't fallout dude. You can literally buy mags and spare parts online. It's literally a non issue.
>>
i like mine, but its my first handgun so i dont know shit. trigger is heavy to say the least but not the worst.
>>
>>29940406
Just get a gunsmith to do it man. Look up ones that are near you and call them. It'll cost you a few bucks, but it'll get done right. I would NOT recommend fucking around with a carry gun's trigger yourself.

>The range I go to doesn't allow rapid fire so I might not really want the upgrade tbqh

wat? The apex trigger has nothing to do with rapid fire. It just makes the trigger pull nicer, and the trigger safety better.
>>
>>29939732
M&P's are one step above a Hi Point. Don't waste your money.
>>
>>29939947
Yeah, 17 is enough for a pistol, since you will always carry an extra mag anyway. In most ways you would carry a fullsize you will either have a rifle slung on your shoulder or 2 extra mags at least.
>>
here you go:
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/654_910/products_id/718002823/Used+Guns/Police+Trade-Ins
>>
>>29940929
hi points arn't a waste of money though.
>>
Get a used USP =)
>>
How is the full size M&P9 for concealed carry?
>>
File: mp vs glock.jpg (444 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
mp vs glock.jpg
444 KB, 1000x667
>>29939732
While I hate it when everyone compares every pistol to a glock, really its just a glock with improved ergos to me. Like if a glock reshaped a pistol for more competition then just extending their slides and calling it a day
also >>29939781 is pretty spot on. I recommend an Apex trigger but ive heard the newer M&Ps have improved their factory triggers recently
>>
>>29940958
if you want an m&p9, jump on this shit.
>>
Top comfy, but shit tier trigger
>>
File: dillenger1911.jpg (48 KB, 809x680) Image search: [Google]
dillenger1911.jpg
48 KB, 809x680
>>29939732

I was looking at a Glock 34 but my FFL guy talked me into getting a CORE instead. I would recommend against getting an M&P myself.

The one area people seem to universally like about it is it's ergos. But to me the grip is like a old bar of soap. It looks like it's comfy, and you get 3 backstraps, but I never found a combo I liked. You can stipple it if you really like it and don't care about resale or put tape on it, it still feels worse to me than a Block.

Secondly the stock trigger, it sucks. You hit a huge wall where all the weight is, and it's hard to break without disturbing your shot. I dry fired mine a million times and it was still pretty crap. Eventually I installed an APEX flat faced trigger kit, with the lightest return spring. Now it does have a much cleaner break, but it still feels worse than say a stock CZ w/decocker, only it's 4# striker that you probably would never want to carry for legal/safety reasons.

Now for the positives. They are well built. Mine's functioned flawlessly. The controls are well laid out. You can do a take down without pulling the trigger (yes that's actually useful) But for my purposes it's just too big to CC and it's too poor a shooter for the range. I'd look into the compact maybe, or just other full sized guns especially if you don't plan to carry it.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>29943860
Can confirm that newer ones have improved triggers. My full size and compact were made early last year.
>>
>>29939950

> "Hey guys should I buy this truck?"
> No buy this sports car instead, anon

'fuck outta here
>>
>>29939781
Or better yet, get an Apex trigger
>>
put an apex FSS kit in it and you will love it.
>>
>>29940018
M&Ps have magazine disconnects?
>>
>>29947220
I think the fullsize and compact do
>>
>>29947365
California compliant Shields as well.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_812066_-1_780153_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y
>>
>>29947220
both of my Detroit police trade-ins did not
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.