[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ruger SR Series
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: ruger-sr.jpg (96 KB, 825x589) Image search: [Google]
ruger-sr.jpg
96 KB, 825x589
Did Ruger discontinue the SR series? I've looked everywhere and cannot find any of them. I've asked several gun stores about ordering one and they said their distributors are out as well. I talked to one guy who told me that Ruger hasn't "officially" discontinued the SR series, but that they've essentially been discontinued because they aren't making them anymore and are trying to sell the Ruger American as a replacement.
>>
I bought my SR40C less than two months ago, and there were several other SR series Rugers on the shelf beside it.

Dunno what to tell you, m8
>>
Depends where you live, Ruger SR-Series fell off the roster in California a long time ago.
>>
I haven't really looked at these new in a long time, but I see them constantly on the used shelf.

SHIT LOADS of people bought these as a first carry gun
>>
>>29920846

The SR9c is one of the most popular handguns after the glock and shield. They're damn fine guns, and I legitimately can't believe the company would ditch one of the few well-received entries it's hand into the semi handgun market. The improvements on the E series are also pretty fantastic.

Are you talking about the SR9/40, full size? Maybe they're harder to find because of the E series and C series getting the majority of the market share from them? Maybe they've gone to batch creation instead of continuous production for the full size.
>>
>>29920846
I wonder what rugers game plan is...the Ruger 1911 has be oddly really successful and along with their revolvers, the only thing they lack is a reputable modern 9mm in polymer and it seems they were hoping the American pistol would be it as their glock and S&W M&P challenger.

The SR series was meant to appease CA's handgun roster but the micro stsmping goal post moving pretty much killed tge one thing this pistol had going for it.
>>
Is the SR1911 not included as an "SR series"?

It's odd to me that they'd call it that, but on their own site and lists its not listed in the SR category.

Which funnily enough I see available in every gun shop I go in
>>
>>29920926

The SR series doesn't include the 1911, no.

SR series refers to the striker fired, double stack polymer weapons with a bunch of safety features (LCI, mag disconnect, manual frame safety, drop safety, trigger safety) you either don't mind or vehemently hate. I'm the former, but I could do without the mag disconnect.

The 1911's just a decent mid-range 1911. SR is only on there because it ties it to RUGER instead of being incredibly generic, which it is.
>>
>>29920894
I live in Kansas which has the most freedom respecting gun laws in the country.I would go so far to argue that we're probably the only state that actually respects the 2nd amendment.

Missouri can suck my dick though because I live in the KC area which straddles the border and its illegal to carry in Missouri without a permit, but you can't get a permit as a Kansas resident. I have to know where I am at all times and be careful not to carry if I cross the border. The tax system also sucks. Taxation without representation. I pay taxes out the ass to Missouri because my place of employment is on that side, but I can't vote in their elections because I live in Kansas. Thankfully, based Kansas comes through once again and gives me tax credit for what I pay in Missouri.
>>
>>29920904
you figured their ruger 1911s would suck? Only thing i've "heard" is qc issues but it wasn't nearly as bad as negative as remlin and rems qc in general.
>>
>>29921001
Not suck, but much like with AR-15's...another 1911 on the market in a market flooded with 1911's?

Well turns out they gained some distinction from the crowd.

I'd like to have a Ruger 1911 over a genuine colt.
>>
>>29920973
>most freedom respecting gun laws in the country.I would go so far to argue that we're probably the only state that actually respects the 2nd amendment.
arizona and alaska compete
>>
>>29921055
Is there any reason or just some fuddlore?
>>
>>29921001
>>29921055
Dude, the 1911 is my go-to gun. They did some strange magic where they have features from $1200 guns for like $650 or $700.

Honestly, it is probably because the 1911 market is so insular and expensive, but they have done well because it is affordable while not being pot metal. I really wish they would make them in 9mm and I'd keep one around for my kids, they're good enough for that. The lightweight Commander-size is awesome.

Frankly, the AR-556 has been a huge totally sold-out hit, too. I would have had one but I think they made a mistake with it not being chrome-lined, but otherwise it has it all down the line.

>>29921108
It's hard to quantify, but again, it has features you'd be missing on production Colts or Springfields for $900-1000 for like $600-700. Very good build quality, and I grew up in a Ruger fanboy house, but that's me. They have good customer service, they give a shit, and they provide good stuff at good prices. There's just something really all-American about a Ruger 1911, I don't know.
>>
>>29921055

I'd still take a Springer. Loaded, RO, or whatever. Operators are nice, but not worth the money. I've handled both, and nothing about the ruger stood out to me as anything other than really generic.
>>
>>29921116

Why over a colt? Any reason?
>>
>>29921116

wait i can't read. Sounds like you're a ruger fanboy. i love rugers too, but i like their wheelguns more. i do like my colt faawty-faave though
>>
>>29921137
Well, offhand? To be frank, I still want a Colt and barely have time with them compared to the Rugers in regard to 1911s. However, like I said. It's like $750 or $800-like for entry level Colt with GI sights and whatnot, while $750 gets you Novak sights, lightweight, extended safety, backstrap/frontstrap stippling, etc. on the Ruger for similar build quality.

It's well regarded at this point that Colt pretty much overcharges for the pony, pistols or rifles. If you have the money, might as well still go Colt; I'm just saying I love the Ruger tons and it is pretty much the same damn thing for less.

>>29921141
It's like, your opinion, man. I like the Ruger wheelguns but their 1911 really hit it for me, somehow. Colt's great, I want a Colt, but I'm a fag that likes 9mm and if Ruger had a 9mm 1911, it would barely be a concern to me, that would be all I would want.

Also, I meant to mention this the first time around. Besides price or whatever, I seem to be able to find a Ruger 1911 on-shelf, ready to go at my local stores. If I find a Colt it's either used or like a $1900 Boutique model or some shit. Not much of a concern in the internet order era, but I am just saying, if you need convenience.
>>
File: WP_20151208_007.jpg (2 MB, 3072x1728) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151208_007.jpg
2 MB, 3072x1728
>>29920846
I've heard they're discontinuing the line as well, although I thought they would give more of an overlap until they've got more options for the American out. I don't know if you've been checking for used, but I don't normally see used ones for sale either. I wish you luck in finding one either way.
>>
>>29920904
>the Ruger 1911 has be oddly really successful
Nothing odd about it. The 1911 is one of the most popular handguns and the SR1911 is a good value - roughly the same price as a base GI Springfield but with more features. Great option if you don't want an RIA but don't feel like spending a fortune either.
>>
>>29920846
If they got rid of that stupid fucking LCI and improved the safety size/location this would seriously be one of the best striker pistols around...they got the aesthetics/ergos down pat. And while it'll never have the aftermarket or ninja appeal of Glock, it's Ruger so obtaining parts would never really be a issue...
>>
>>29920904

A 100% murican made gun based on a wildly popular design, with all the bells and whistles at a reasonable price is oddly successful
>>
>>29921137
You mean aside from Colt being a detached POS of a company whereas Ruger has been doing everything possible to listen to customer feedback and shit on Bill Ruger.
>>
They were everywhere when I was looking for one last year. The compacts are more common. It's harder to find the SR45 and it was the last model entry before the E's. I haven't heard anything about them being discontinued because they are well-regarded and popular. Which is the opposite of the American. If they have something new in the works that's great but the pistol is in a good place right now and they haven't discontinued a model before a replacement hits the market before, like with the P's.

In regards to controls, the C's and E don't have any external safety problems like the full size models. The full ones cut into some people's hands but the C is just a tiny thumb button that is placed perfectly to be clicked down as you draw and aim. They're also very skinny for a double stack and mostly ambidextrous so people with smaller hands gravitate to them.
>>
File: top.jpg (94 KB, 1400x425) Image search: [Google]
top.jpg
94 KB, 1400x425
>>29924650
isnt that exactly the 9e
>>
>>29920846
theyre not discontinued, nobody wants to stock them because they sell like shit
>>
>>29925653
Yeah, it's funny that Ruger apparently considers that hideous chamber indicator a "premium" feature or something. Only thing about the 9E is they downgraded the finish - not a huge issue I guess.
>>
File: photojack.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
photojack.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
>>29925657
>>
>>29920846

Traded a Taurus revolver for a new 9E a few months ago. They're still in production
>>
>>29920846
I bought a 9e last September and really love it. No idea what ruger is doing with the American series. They seem objectively worse than the SR series unless you count:
>Weighing more
>costing more
>coming in less calibers
>no compact option
>thicker and waay less ergonomic

Not to mention they hold the same number of rounds and despite using the same mags manage to not be interchangeable because the notch is cut in a different spot. I honestly have no idea why the American was made. Does it do a single thing better than an SR?
>>
>>29925590
>>29926726
>Ruger American
I sure hope they have some sort of SIG P250/P320 shit planned for this down the line with that serialized chassis, otherwise it seems like a dud. Utterly wasted opportunity.
>>
>>29920846
http://www.ruger.com/index.html

If it was discontinued it wouldn't be on their site. I remember when they took down the Red Label, it was a sad day.
>>
>>29920904
Odd how? By and large Ruger tends to make fairly reliable weapons with few exceptions (Red Label v2, old Mini 14s). In spite of their popularity most of their semi-auto pistols are actually quite rugged (I personally don't care for any of their original designs though).

I recently got an SR1911, my father and a friend of mine have had their's for years without any issue among them. For the price and features it's hard to beat.

Not sure what you mean on the SRs though, I haven't walked into a store in about a month, but I've always seen them just about everywhere I go.
>>
>>29921116
>I think they made a mistake with it not being chrome-lined
TBQH senpai chrome lining is nice, but it's not as big a negative as people make it out to be I think

>Don't shoot corrosive ammo (most .223/5.56 isn't)
>Clean your gun after you shoot it (as you always should)
>Don't store it in a humid environment (as you shouldn't)

The barrel will not degrade faster and it won't rust if you take moderate care of it.
>>
>>29920846
Just ordered four SR-9C's for my shop from davidsons yesterday.
>>
File: 1461096775843.gif (3 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1461096775843.gif
3 MB, 320x240
>>29920973
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.