[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Land mines thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8
File: mines.jpg (313 KB, 1024x679) Image search: [Google]
mines.jpg
313 KB, 1024x679
Post some explosive ordnance here. What is your favorite, or what do they use in your country today?
>>
File: download.jpg (5 KB, 200x215) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5 KB, 200x215
Other than c4, the m86 anti persuit device
>>
File: US_M18a1_claymore_mine.jpg (84 KB, 504x435) Image search: [Google]
US_M18a1_claymore_mine.jpg
84 KB, 504x435
What do you guys think of the Claymore? US troops satisfied with this anti-personnel explosive?
>>
>>29916024
Pretty simple device, works for what it does.

A lot of people love big explosions, but me, personally, I love det cord. You can perform artistry with det cord. Any idiot can plug into a 1000 pound C4 shot, but it takes finesse to blast open a locked box without damaging the contents using some det cord.

Though when it does come to large shots, water shots are hella cool. An improvised boot banger made out of 5 blocks of det cord and a 5 gallon water jug is pretty sweet. Toss it next to a locked freight container and watch that bitch asplode.
>>
File: anti-tank-mine.jpg (4 MB, 2850x1880) Image search: [Google]
anti-tank-mine.jpg
4 MB, 2850x1880
TM-46. Soviet anti-tank mine.
>>
>>29915976
How do you use these?

Do you throw them or do you have to place them?
>>
>>29916191
You pull the pin and toss it. After a delay it deploys tripwires that shoot out in all directions.
>>
>>29916214
So does it have some way of knowing which way is up? And does it have a charge on all sides so that no matter what it can launch in the air?
>>
>>29916486
Pretty much and it runs by detecting the ohms change so you don't have to trip the tripwire.
>>
>>29915807
Mines legitimatley terrify me. You can't fight them, you can't kill them, you can't call in cas on them, they don't fall asleep on stag and they never miss. You just suddenly find that your legs and your wedding tackle have turned in to a cloud of pink mist, safe in the knowledge that none of your mates are actualy going to come and help for fear that they'll step on another one trying to get to you.
>>
>>29916680
It's an extremely useful deterrent to attack, and yeah they are equally as devastating for their psychological impact.
The big problem is after a high-density minefield is planted in the dirt, it stays active until a coordinated effort is made to remove them, meaning they can continue to pose a threat long after the fighting has ended. WWII mines are still a very real danger in places like Egypt for instance.. A lot of countries do not have the time or resources to finance removal operations, so they blow up kids and construction workers to this day.
Personally I think mines have their place in war, but we need to use some common sense about deployment and clearing them in the aftermath.
>>
>>29915807
Can you imagine how morale breaking it would be to have minefields deployed on your EVERYWHERE?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_Denial_Artillery_Munition
>>
File: 1442614467434.webm (586 KB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
1442614467434.webm
586 KB, 854x480
>>29916089
>related
>>
File: 1377312677843.png (638 KB, 625x428) Image search: [Google]
1377312677843.png
638 KB, 625x428
>>29915807
good demining video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzCOZHnp_nM
>>
>>29916680
They're really not that bad.

t. A former combat engineer.
>>
File: 1462841474165.png (293 KB, 656x609) Image search: [Google]
1462841474165.png
293 KB, 656x609
A good mine is like a good fart.
It lingers
>>
>>29921185
Do you know if it is possible to have a large number of mines that could be disabled remotely, possibly sent some kind of secure deactivation code? Can something potentially be done to improve demolitions prospects for mines no longer needed after an armed conflict is over?
>>
>>29915807
I dealt with mines a lot for 6 years on active duty.
The M16 made me the most nervous when it came to arming and disarming because of the multiple safeties that can be tricky if you aren't careful. The PMA-2 and PMR2's were fucking EVERYWHERE in Bosnia. I do not miss those little fuckers at all.
My all time favorites were the 10 foot wide homemade claymores the serbs used. Big nasty bastards! They also put "sails" on the tilt rods of anti-tank mines so that they would detonate when helicopters landed near them.
>>
>>29922470
The majority of electrically initiated mines have documented bleed down timers for their batteries. So if you placed it without a secondary booby trap you know that after 'x' number of days, the mine no longer has power.

Mines can be programmed to shut off or self destruct before they bleed down to no-fire levels of power.

A large number of mines like the Claymore are remote only, if you do not modify them, so if you placed, you can safely and easily unplace it.

As for programming mines. Yes, some more advanced mines have that capability, tough they are not widely used.

A DIY mine could certainly have a remote safe/arm setting if the maker wanted. Electrically initiated mines are set off by a compete circuit. If you program a code that would cause that circuit to be unable to complete when received, you've done it.
>>
If this thread is still up I'll post some info and pics of the next generation of mines.
>>
>>29916892
This, although most developed countries have mechanisms in their mines to render them inert passed a certain point in time, ranging for a few hours to months. Others have signed the Ottawa Convention ,which forbids their use in warfare.
>>
File: lengfeld3.jpg (14 KB, 192x251) Image search: [Google]
lengfeld3.jpg
14 KB, 192x251
>>29916680
>none of your mates are actualy going to come and help for fear that they'll step on another one trying to get to you.

You can only hope that you have as an enemy the Wehrmacht officer Friedrich Lengfeld around
he would help you
http://1-22infantry.org/history4/lengfeld.htm
>>
>>29918013
Are those mines on top of the striker of an F1 grenade? That's brutal
>>
So how dangerous is EOD work in general? I was a combat engineer so i only know about putting mines to the ground
>>
>>29931591

It certainly takes a lot longer to dig them up.
>>
Ask a croatian army pyrotehnician anything
>>
>>29931591
It's more organized and methodical than it looks. A lot of people have the "wildman" vibe from us, and we definately like to party, but when it comes to dealing with ordnance, we take it dead serious even if it looks like we are winging it.

With mines, it ain't too bad. We've got a lot of detection equipment that engineers tend not to have. If possible in an old mine field or a single mine that's movable, we just blow it up with a tiny bit of C4 somewhere safe and that's that. We also burn them with thermite if we need to.

As for IEDs and stuff, if we are running out of a truck, we've got robots and all kinds of toys. Rolling dismounted, we still know how to stay pretty safe with creative rope lasso tricks.

The big thing is that we get a very in-depth understanding of IED and ordnance function, and for IEDs we pore over trends in construction and tactics in the area. Makes us pretty good at predicting what is what when we see signs of an IED.

We train (or at least my unit did) on gear multiple times a week and are total autists about reading through obscure ordnance info that is available to us. Demo range about once a month where we are often encouraged to set up interesting charges or do shots against simulated targets. One unit had a hard-on for breaching so we made big door frames and everything to play with.
>>
>>29931798
Jel tlaka čistit mine?
>>
>>29927479

I can't find it right now, but in an old ass book about the history of militarized paratroopers there's a story of an American who was stuck in a tree, saw a German, and dropped his rifle when trying to pull it off his back.

Supposedly the German clamored up the tree, cut the American down, and handed him his rifle before walking back to a nearby farmhouse. The story even goes on to say that the German, speaking in perfect English, said something to the effect of "and if you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask."

No idea if it's bullshit or wartime propaganda, but a cool story nevertheless.
>>
>>29932062
Imamo manje od 10 milja plaću
>>
>>29915807
I once read a post about a russian mine system that hooked a bunch of mines to a central seismic sensor unit that could detect all sorts of different movement patterns happening on the ground
also it wouldn't just blow up the first mine you came across but let you wander into the deathzone and then blow you up
I didn't note down the name though and every google search turned up with nothing but a bunch articles about mine removal
>>
So how do you get thru minefield novadays? As a combat engineer i only used the sort of bangalore-torpedo-thingie. I have no idea how old it was, but i'm gussing there are better ways to do it?
>>
>>29933563
We don't really go through minefields in combat these days. The focus is all asymeterical fighting against IEDs or lone mines.

For dedicated anti-mine work outside of combat it's a preplanned operation. You draw the field up into lanes and clear the limits of a lane with a mine detector with GPR in it. Mark the limits of your lane and mark mines. If/when you hit a mine, you usually attempt to set it on fire with thermite if you can, or remove it if it's safe enough to get out of the field.

Clearing IED areas in combat is more expediant. You role with your detection and sometimes toss markers out, but usually the guys behind just step right in your footsteps.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.