[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In most militaries, why do most people have their rifles all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 11
In most militaries, why do most people have their rifles all set up differently?

Some guys have optics, some don't, some guys have Peq 15s, some don't, little differences like that.

Do they have choice on what they can put on their rifles or they have to like earn the privilege to have these differences?

I always thought that everyone was given the same rifle, and there all told to set it up the same way.

Also, why does the US use Peq 15s? Are lazers really worth the money to give a shit ton of soilders when they can just aim instead?
>>
>>29907146
Peq-15 also has an ir laser, for use with night vision, and when clearing buildings, an acog, with its 4x magnification, isn't really appropriate, so a laser with a pressure switch is used
>>
>>29907173
Why don't they use Eotechs or some form of red dot?
>>
File: 1418445519694.jpg (16 KB, 532x418) Image search: [Google]
1418445519694.jpg
16 KB, 532x418
>>29907186
>red dot
Are you retarded?
>>
>>29907186
Different missions require different kit. I know marines will use acogs with their m16a4s. Usually super high speed low drag oper8tors will use eokeks. Sometimes you'll see basic bitch soldiers with aimpoints and shit, but like I said, it depends what the mission is
>>
>>29907146
>Also, why does the US use Peq 15s? Are lazers really worth the money to give a shit ton of soilders when they can just aim instead?
peq15's are fucking rad, especially with nods.
>>
>>29907213
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aimpoint_CompM2

Are you?
>>
File: 1462472477002.jpg (9 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
1462472477002.jpg
9 KB, 255x255
>>29907213
are optics like aimpoint comp not a red dot sight?

lemme guess, i didn't use your correct super operator terminology and triggered you autsim?

kek anon go kill yourself
>>
>>29907856
Obviously never served.
>>
>>29907882
>m-muh cowekt tewimowogy

anon you know what were talking about, fuck off with your petty shit you pathetic crybaby
>>
>>29907856

Trying to use a red-dot through NVG's, even weapon mounted ones, is god awful.

PEQ's:

>Let you aim in the dark - because while red lasers are hard to see in daylight, IR lasers are very visible in NVG's
>Let you show your buddies where you are aiming and signal
>Allow you to wash out enemy NVG's with the IR illuminator strobe, if you are unlucky enough to have an enemy with NVG's.
>>
>>29907882
thank you for your service
>>
>>29907882
I'm currently serve and I don't see your point...?
>>
>>29907882
>obviously never served
>thread is literally asking about why the military does something a certain way

no shit retard, and you can fuck right off with that " I served " crap without posting proof
>>
>>29907146
Probably because you're looking at non-infantry units.

Infantry units (from my experience) have a pretty strict standard for equipment. The only thing that may or may not change randomly is the optic, depending on how cool your command is with you using something different.
>>
>>29907929
so what are the guts in my pic, anon?
>>
>>29907929
I was a grunt marine and basically this.

Pogs didn't even get acogs on my fob. I even had a chow hall marine ask me "hey what type of gun is that?"

>m249

I just replied "you should of fired it during MCT, you tell me." Pogs.
>>
>>29907985
Looks like two M4s, one ACOG, two m203s, and some old style PEQ.

>not nomenclaturely correct
>I don't care

My guess is the dude in the back is probably a team leader or something. They tend to call dibs on the nice optics if there aren't enough.

>>29907990
Any time I get a "we're basically infantry" I ask what the barrel change time on a mk19 at a cyclic rate is.

>hint: mk19 don't "overheat"
>>
>>29907213
>>29907882
Jesus christ you are literally cancer
>>
>>29908099
I meant guys, not " guts " or what you took as me misspelling " guns ", since one guy hinted at them not being infantry.
>>
>>29907146
don't the US use tan gear with UCP?
>>
>>29908099
That's cool, I have only been cross trained on the Mark 19.

I did almost buttfuck the Iraqi police with one because they rolled up on our convoy in the middle of the night. We were trying to catch Syrian smugglers and the Iraqi cops were spotting for them. I could hear the damn camels, just couldn't see them.
>>
>>29907146
You spend money after each round an when you respawn you'll get the attachments you bought.
>>
>>29907146
We use la-5's (not peq15's any more) because it's hard to aim at night without one. Duh. Everyone on my team has on their m4 at minimum a flashlight, la-5, and choice of optic between eotech, elcan, or aimpoint t1. Some guys roll with an eotech magnifier. I had one too but that shit starts to get fucking heavy after a while. Especially with the garbage Daniel defense 14.5 uppers we have. I also have a suppressor on mine but not everyone does.
>>
>>29908362
Were you SF? Those are some nice attachments.
>>
>>29907813
Yeah, using the PEQ15 with NODs was wonderful for simulating "A Day in the Life of Stevie Wonder".
>>
>>29907916
only thing he's serving is McDonalds fries.
>>
>>29907146
B/C soldiers have always been playing fucky-fuck games with their rigs and rifles. With rifle squads, if you have a designated marksman expect him to have all kinds of dumb shit tacked on to his rifle.
>>
>>29908362
What's wrong with the DD Uppers?
>>
>>29908884
Sounds more like Rangers

>>29908131
I've no clue. Could possibly be nasty girl infantry unit at a training event, they're also pretty ate up sometimes.
>>
>>29907146
Because shooter comfort is more important then uniformity, at least at any real unit. Uniformity doesn't matter much if you can't shoot well.

Also it depends on what the unit has to issue. Sometimes they don't have enough lasers for everybody to get one so only leadership will get them. Same for optics or anything else, it just depends what they have.

>>29908362
Where are you at that's using Aimpoint T1s? We never even got them due to not being authorized by USASOC because the field of view was too limited.

Everybody at my unit is using either an EoTech XPS or Elcan at this point. Also our Arms Room somehow got a Vortex Razor optic though nobody has taken them up on mounting it yet.
>>
File: Got em.jpg (7 KB, 267x323) Image search: [Google]
Got em.jpg
7 KB, 267x323
>>29908986
>>
>>29907146
>In most militaries, why do most people have their rifles all set up differently?
They don't. COD is not real life
>>
>>29907929
>Infantry units (from my experience) have a pretty strict standard for equipment.
Nope.

Infantry units have a bit of leeway because of doctrine basically saying "what someone is comfy with is probably good". You can get aftermarket sights off a list, basically. It mostly looks the same, though, and is just minor differences between manufacturers. Kinda like getting aftermarket boots, really.

But if you're on a ship or doing force protection or whatever, you are stuck with the standardest of standard rifle with the standardest of standardest furniture and optics, because they're not concerned with function -- the basic sights work, and what they want is for you to look like World Police and deter people from starting shit through sheer presence, not be OPER8ORZ ready to get into raging gun battles over literally nothing.

>>29907990
>people at basic didnt get wild aftermarket shit
wow you dont fucking say
>>
>>29907146
Ideally everyone (speaking for infantry units) should have a IR laser/PEQ-15, but if for some reason there aren't enough to go around it usually starts with leadership and experienced people then trickles down. Optics are typically the same way with guys that have more pull will get the better shit. Things like the M203 are given to those assigned to that position in the fireteam (stays the same guy).

Lasers are extremely useful and almost mandatory for night operations. It is the only way to aim your rifle while using night vision. It is used for signaling (referred to as "roping") to other friendlies, and for high powered IR flood lights it is used for sniping at night. There are other uses for having one but I'm not going to list them all.
>>
>>29909588
How is that not exactly what I fucking said?

If you consider shit like vfg's and slings "equipment" you're beyond my help and I wish you a meaningful career of painting rocks.
>>
>>29907882
thanks for your service
>>
>>29909672
>How is that not exactly what I fucking said?
I feel as though you are implying a lot more freedom than there actually is. It's less "buy whatever, it's cool! Just don't spend all your CoD funpoints in one place!" and more "Well, you gun has to have a 2x optic on it that meets this long list of ISO points. Luckily, here's a shortlist of what you're allowed to get before you get it."

Again, like boots. You can get whatever boots you want, but the legit approved boots list is literally only a page long for the Canadian army. For the Navy and Air Force, it's even shorter. Weapon sights are basically "the usual ELCAN scope, or the ELCAN scope as made by someone who licensed the ELCAN scope design but slapped a red dot in it somewhere instead of a sloppily painted german post thing."

[spoiler]im only being aggressive because its late at night and i fucking hate /k/ i dont even know why i post here anymore[/spoiler]
>>
>PEQ-15

I'm confused, since I joined the Marines at the very beginning of 2013 I've seen nothing but PEQ-16s except on a few POG's rifles.
>>
>>29909713
>grumpy because late and on /k/ for some fucking reason

Are you me?

And I'm tracking all that shit, I would post a picture of my blue cord or something but my phones being fucky
>>
>>29909746
Army uses 15's because the 16's light fucking sucks and we have surefires.
>>
>>29909756
It's rare but I've seen some guys with LED lights on the 16s which improve it a lot, unless you're talking about the laser.
>>
>>29909771
Like I said mate, Army.

I fucked with one once, laughed at how shitty it was, and handed it back to the Marine.
>>
>>29909588
Thanks candy ass.
>>
Sometimes the company only has X number of this and Y number of that. For instance we have [numbers are rounded] 80 M4s, 60 aimpoints, and 2 ACOGs. So that's where the issue comes from, the equipment you discuss is given out at the company level. Its dependent on what they have. Also there is a high level of modification for your uniform and weapon, short of modifying physical performance of the weapon, anything is possible. I had the only grip pod, tan rail covers and a magazine pouch for the buttstock I added. I could go buy an eotech, but those are gay. I couldn't buy a different twist rate barrel and use that.

bleh
>>
>>29907146
Sometimes it has to do with simply not having enough optics or lasers. If you've got 30 guys with rifles, but only 20 optics or lasers, then well somebody isn't getting an optic or laser. This is an ongoing issue and really the simpliest explaination. Especially when you look at early and mid Iraq pictures, back when that stuff was just coming out.

These days most everybody has lasers and optics because our supply has gotten around to it, but not everybody might have the newest ones. So you see a unit and some have PEQ-15s while a few stragglers have PEQ-2s, because it's all that was in the arms room. Same with optics, usually the Aimpoint was the most purchased optic for units in Iraq, but going into Afghanistan, the ACOG became the optic of choice. So a unit retrofitted for Afghianstan might be able to supply half or a quarter of it's guys with ACOGs and the rest with Aimpoints.

As for dispersing, that's less to do with personal choice and more to do with the choices of the company commander and platoon leadership. Often, if a unit has not enough ACOGs, the team and squad leaders get them first, followed by the rifleman, and then the grenadiers for what's left.

Sometimes a unit with an existing stock of Aimpoints will opt to buy magnifiers rather than investing in new ACOGs, and thus be able to give more troops magnification.

Then you get oddball optics like the occasional Eotech or shortdot in an armory. Those might be swapped out for optics in the same category as what would be on the soldier's TO&E.

As for lights, slights, grips, and stocks that is all user preference within whatever confines the company leadership deems acceptable.
>>
>>29908156
They use what they have. It's not like having new uniforms magically changes all your gear to a different color. If you had a green bag and nobody issued you a different one with your new uniform, you keep using the green bag.

I wore multicam and saw bags and pouches in UCP, tan, green, black, grey, M81, and DCU worn. Plate carrier colors ranged all over. Standard ones were multicam, saw a few unlucky people stuck with UCP ones, my unit used a mixture of tan and flat brown ones, Rangers used green ones.

Nothing is universal.
>>
File: 1461503850375.jpg (108 KB, 433x419) Image search: [Google]
1461503850375.jpg
108 KB, 433x419
>>29908986
KEK
>>
>>29907906
>>29909675
Anytime, citizens.
>>
File: 1462397482117.jpg (17 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1462397482117.jpg
17 KB, 320x320
>>29910660
im gonna lick your silly little nipples you cum loving saucy boy
>>
File: Designated_Marksman_Rifle_2.jpg (45 KB, 504x378) Image search: [Google]
Designated_Marksman_Rifle_2.jpg
45 KB, 504x378
>>29909004
It's not dumb, it's comfy.
>>
>>29907146
its not a matter of choice, its a matter of what your assigned role is.
Typically your lower ranks make up machine gun teams so one guy gets a M-240B and his assistant gunner gets an M-4 w/PEQ15, Aimpoint. Usually Sergeants get the M-4/M-203 combo and SSG's/Squad leaders get ACOGS. Or if there are enough to go around everyone will get an ACOG or whatever optic the unit was given by big Army.
In PSYOP we are given a little bit of choice in the matter, between Irons, CCO and ACOG and as a team leader (we deploy as three man teams) I can take a 203 or assign it to someone. The Army likes the PEQ's because they have an IR laser and illuminator so you can use PVS-7 series night vision and still shoot with accuracy. They also serve to ID targets for your guys and other units to shoot at with the illuminator or emblem cap on the laser (after market accessory makes a symbol like a skull or some shit) so you can say "shoot/bomb here."
If you have the CCO and PVS14 series night vision you just keep both eyes open and your brain puts the red dot on what you are looking at so you dont need the PEQ....but you still need the PEQ for target ID

>>29907186
>>29907224
No one in the military uses EOTECH anyore. The Military actually sied them over their sights being shit. There is now a recall om them so if you have one you can get a refund from the company.,,which I suggest you do because the sights are basically timebombs of failure. Sure you may not be jumping into Syria with it, but do you want to pay $550 for a sight that WILL go bad on you?
>>
>>29910440
>If you had a green bag and nobody issued you a different one with your new uniform, you keep using the green bag.
I kept using the older green ALICE pack because the UCP MOLLE pack sucks donkey balls.
>>
>>29910763
I still have and use my ALICE ruck. CSM and 1SG dont have a problem with it unless we are doing inspections.
>>
>>29910760
People don't shoot with bindin technique for PVS-14s. Everybody uses lasers. The monocle being on your opposite eye is for fast transition to close range where the NODs aren't useful and you are either using decent natural light or white light.

I really don't know what you are talking about with a PEQ displaying a skull. You use it in laser setting because you aim with it as well as doing target ID.

You must be POG as fuck to still be talking about PVS-7s.

I don't know why you mention the "new guys" as having M240s. Those weapon teams are the center of fire for a platoon and rely on strong and skilled users. Also, there are not a lot, your post makes it seem like there are many, while in a normal platoon there are usually about 3 M240s. Combat units have shifted from M240B to M240L for dismounted use.

Most infantry units do not assign the M203 or M320 to the team leader, but to a dedicated grenadier.

Eotechs still do and have been in unit armories. The company is being sued and units are being returned, but depending on the funding used to originally buy them, some can not be returned. If the choice is between irons or an Eotech, people will still go with the Eotech.

Also, namefagging is gay unless your identity actually provides something to the discussion. Yours does not.
>>
>>29910896
>The company is being sued and units are being returned
wait, what?
>>
>>29910933
Eotech (the company) is being sued and individual optics (units) are being returned to them. It's a huge deal that was all over /k/.
>>
>>29910896
Even army pogs have psv-14. We have those, 150+ m68s and only 98 m4s, mk19, pas 13s, ect...
203s are gone, only 320s. m4s are full auto now. I cant be certain, but my guess these people talking about having bunch of random optics are guard or reserve
>>
>>29910978
I'm the anon from way above who talked about units buying magnifiers for Aimpoints. That is something which did happen in combat units. As well as having a mild hodgepodge of optics including shortdots and Eotechs.

Remember though that was in the past. These days everybody has pretty much caught up to the m68 or ACOG standard. But the evolution of hodgepodge optics is still going on. It's just now the M68s and ACOGs are the "old" stuff being replaced or augmented by even newer gear. The cycle never ends.

Anyway, my post was meant more for when you see lots of variation in photos of soldiers wearing DCUs or early ACU pictures. Early and mid Iraq was not nearly as standardized and well equipped as today.
>>
>>29911012
I can get the old equipment point. Last week we turned in the old no serial vietnam promasks for these new serial m50 type . Im only knowledgeable from about 2010 foward and just haven't encountered it with optics yet i guess. My experience was always that optics are SI and are have been just as heavily monitored as the weapons themselves, so hearing they could just buy whatever with a gpc or something made me sceptical.
>>
>>29911109
The optics are almost never personally bought. Deploying units get funds at the bat or company level, which can be used to buy a wide variety of things. That's where shortdots, magnifiers, and Eotechs come from. They are on the books, not personal optics.

Also, in-country, things can get different. My unit in 2012 ended up with a bunch of off the books 10.3 uppers for our rifles. We also ended up with TA01 ACOGs. These were items that got passed from other units to us and stayed in-country, but some of which found their ways on to weapons used in the field.

You've also got small batch experimental optics like SKEETIR which was loaned to us for use. It was very carefully monitored and returned after deployment due to the expense.
>>
>>29911154
Gpc is the government purchase cqrd used for micro purchases by the unit. Its a 3500 limit, but with a memo signed by an O6, and some oco funds. Its not a problem. Depending on the unit, it can get pretty sketchy though.

Companies and battalions are actually not formally funded. Budget only goes to brigades and its pretty much good faith pass that. You have alot of fiscal law dictating what you can buy and what "color of money" you use to buy it.
>>
>>29911224
Interesting. I didn't follow the money train above CO level. Just put in requests and did some pricing which we passed on. I presume all the companies item lists get combined in a mass budget at the top and then issued back down.

In any case, I inow that is how we got certain weapons equipment and optics. I have to stress that in the mid 2000s optics were not nearly as standardized and people were willing to push through more options to experiment.

Plus, old stuff also clutters up things. There are some pictures around of guys invading Iraq with 3x20 Colt tube scopes from Vietnam.
>>
>>29911322
>There are some pictures around of guys invading Iraq with 3x20 Colt tube scopes from Vietnam
It would probably suck to actually use but damn that would be aesthetic.
>>
>>29908928
Worked for me, you must of been in an area that didn't have enough light for the nods to pick up anything. Even then I've found it's a lot more helpful to have a pair of nods than not walking around in the dark like that, you'd never see your iron sites, peq you know exactly where that thing is aimed and it's ridiculously accurate pretty damn far out. I heard lasers were only good out to 50 yards, I was hitting at 250 as fast as I could pull the trigger and couldn't move my finger to shoot fast enough because there was freezing rain.
>>
>>29911224
It was interesting the kind of stuff we had to do in Iraq. I was in CJSOTF-AP J6 and basically ended up being the guy who did the purchase requests for my section. Anything small like cable connectors I could just look up the best price for a good part and hand it over to one group, and we got those reliably. NSN stuff required being submitted through supply and almost never came in. When our TVs we used for monitoring UAV feeds, BFT, etc., started going bad I had to put together a "three options" scenario of "What'll happen if we don't get them, how much three decent TVs would be at retail, and a 'no expenses spared' setup" to get approval.
>>
>>29907903
And you show your enemies where you are.
If you fight someone using NVG:s (and are competent) you better be restrictive as fuck with your IR-laser.
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1136x640
>>29911612
>>
>>29911661
That's why you only use momentary on and you slave the IR laser and IR flood so you white out the opposition's NODs when it's time to shoot.
>>
>>29910896
lol you must be new. Not just to here but to the Army. Really its cute.
Believe it or not but things in the Army are different now than they were a few years ago.
When the early PEQs came with filters that made symbols with the laser (X,^,0,arrow and the after market mods being whatever) units would use them to distingquish between fire team leaders/platoon leaders. When you wanted your laser you just flipped the cap off.
If you payed attention you would see that I said "lower ranks" not "new guy" for the 240, how often have you seen a SSG on the 240 doing a foot patrol? Also maybe your unit has the L model, but as shocking as it sounds the Army doesnt issue all units band new equipment all at once.
It sounds like you are someone who read what an Infantry platoon is supposed to do vs someone who has been in an Infantry platoon. Down range higher higher doesnt want SPC McShamshield running around with a 203 so that responsibility falls onto the fire team leader.
As for not shooting the PVS14/CCO combo, you must have really shitty NCOs for them failing to train you on this.
Honestly you sound like you are one of those guys who has been in a whopping two years with a slick sleeve, that thinks he knows everything because thats what Drill Sergeant said.
>must be a POG
well no fucking shit! PSYOP is not Infantry, but since you havent been in more than five seconds you dont know what PSYOP means. But my OTHER MOS is 11B, and wayyyyyy back in 2000 PVS-14s were not a thing yet.
>>
>>29911627
You can hit out past 300m with the IR laser assuming you can see the target.
>>29911678
I dont know what kind of NODs you are using but even my PVS-7's never shut down when exposed to light. Though I never had an IR laser or PEQ hit them.
>>
>>29911767
>You can hit out past 300m with the IR laser assuming you can see the target.
Yeah I was, just don't want to get too specific on here. I've missed shots at the range I mentioned in broad daylight when it was warm not shivering and I was dry. So I really like those things.
>>
>>29911732
Calling me new is rich. No, I did this shit for realz.

I have never seen anybody use shapes. If you're using the laser, you use the laser. If you're using the floodlight, it's close range and you don't need crazy shapes.

Your initial post made the implication of M240s being common to fireteams. Being that you entirely glossed over M249s while describing other members of a fireteam.

M240Ls started becoming common for combat units dismounted in 2012. An infantry getting ready for deployment is getting that at least as early as NTC.

E4s absolutely carry M203/M320s. Commonly the team leaders do not carry them unless locally modified TO&E for a company says it.

Night engagements are consistently done with IR or night weapons optics at range. Only close range do people use standard optics and they aren't relying on NODs.

>>29911767
You absolutely can hit at 300 with a laser if that is what it's zeroed for.

You go around calling other people "slick sleeves", and it's neat that your "other MOS" was 11b. But you know if you were 11b in 2000 and switched Psyop that means you didn't deploy as 11b and are damn near a decade behind the times and you are the only sticking only to outdated training.
>>
>>29910760
Shit, Eotechs are bad now? How do they fuck up?
>>
>>29911322
Its like that. Unit livel is an allotment. Our susbde s8 has to deal with it alot because line units have priority so we will lose money we were supposed to have

>>29911660
The reason you didnt get your stuff is most likley that contracting sucked and a small dollar amont contract is pushed to the side. If it wasnt over 100k its a get to it when you can mentality
>>
>>29912023
>glossed over the 240
well no shit! OP is asking why some Soldiers carry different shit and why its not all uniform. But you seem to want to split hairs.
>didnt deploy as 11B
no shit. Do you know what PSYOP does? We deploy and attach to combat BNs to provide support down to the platoon level. IE doing foot patrols with the Infantry, Cav and what ever other unit the Army decided to give battle space to. I have kicked in doors with the Cav, ambushes with the Infantry and chased insurgents in a humvee with the Marines (we were in a 998, the insurgents had an Opal).

as for the laser symbols, that was circa 2004. It was a good tactic for directing fire. "Team A shoot here, team B shoot here" vs a whole bunch of dots bouncing around.

I find it terrifying that you are not being trained to shoot the CCO/PVS combo. It signifies a shift in mentality in the Army that is dangerous. You should master all of your equipment so that you are not caught off guard when shit gets fucked up. What do you do when your PEQ goes down? Shit son, what do you do when you run out of ammo? MACP teaches some good stuff, but its still based on the mentality someone else is going to comeshoot the bad guy.
>This isnt an infantry unit, we dont need a machine gun mounted in the truck
I heard that said in Afghanistan 2002. Same fucking pre-9/11 mentality trickling back into the Army.
>>
>>29912091
basically they dont hold Zero if the temp changes, the nitrogen leaks faster than it shoukd and they de-laminate. SOCOM sued them over this and theu are doing a 100% recall ontheir optics, just not telling people about it. I got my refund, took 4months though.
>>29912256
I forogot to add PSYOP to the name for that post. When I post in military threads I always post as PSYOP
>>
>>29912289
Out of curiosity and considering if you are still in, who are you attached to currently?
>>
>>29912332
I am still in. Currently with my organic unit. A Reserve PSYOP unit. We dont get attached to other units till we get down range (unless you are a PSYOP planner at brigade level) or go to NTC/JRTC
>>
>>29912432
Been to NTC or JRTC before?
>>
>>29912470
yes. Summer 2013 JRTC. Attached to 1-2 PIR no idea what Bn that was though
>>
>>29912470
what about you? whats your deal?
>>
>>29912289
holy kek that sucks man they were so badass
>>
>>29912590
NTC coming up. Just curious about that type of stuff I like any training event I can attend.
Did you get a deployment right after JRTC? I can understand maybe someone getting sent during peace time to events but it makes more sense to get people ready for an actual deployment.
>>
>>29912153
>The reason you didnt get your stuff is most likley that contracting sucked and a small dollar amont contract is pushed to the side. If it wasnt over 100k its a get to it when you can mentality
Anything we could get via direct purchase was pretty much golden, just the NSN stuff. Like we wanted a bunch of the MSA headsets because they did volume reduction on impact noise instead of total cut-out like Peltors.
>>
>>29912607
I KNOW!!!! I loved mine! It was a real kick in the nuts when /k/ first told me about it, I looked all over to try to prove it was a troll...but in the end the more I looked themore I found out that Eotech sucked.
>>29912619
Well those training centers are pretty much just big ass FTX's. The OPFOR is pretty good though. Its as close to the real thing as you can get without fast moving projectiles being involved.
I did JRTC to get retirment points...before I deployed to combat I got just a few FTX's at Ft Bragg and some additional training. PSYOP is a non-traditional type of unit so we kinda do our own thing.

You shoukd expect a lot of time outside. No showers and a lot of time in a fox hole. Dont get "killed" because they will make you fill sandbags if you do and its an article 15 if you have a friendly fire accident. Take a carton of cigarettes to sell for retard prices and some poweraid mix because drinking just water for a month sucks.
ohhh and save money before hand because lately they have been cutting BAS/BAH while guys are out there..,,if you get it that is.
>>
>>29907909
>I'm currently serve
>>
>>29912774
>Well those training centers are pretty much just big ass FTX's. The OPFOR is pretty good though. Its as close to the real thing as you can get without fast moving projectiles being involved.
>I did JRTC to get retirment points...before I deployed to combat I got just a few FTX's at Ft Bragg and some additional training. PSYOP is a non-traditional type of unit so we kinda do our own thing.
>You shoukd expect a lot of time outside. No showers and a lot of time in a fox hole. Dont get "killed" because they will make you fill sandbags if you do and its an article 15 if you have a friendly fire accident. Take a carton of cigarettes to sell for retard prices and some poweraid mix because drinking just water for a month sucks.
>ohhh and save money before hand because lately they have been cutting BAS/BAH while guys are out there..,,if you get it that is.
Bleh, I'm glad that we just did our pre-deployment training cycles at Carson. One of the benefits of being in an SF Group. Though we were also basically deployed half of every year up through 08.
>>
>>29912774
That sounds consistent with a lot of what I heard so far. Cartons for me, only the guy that always bums smokes off me regularly gonna hear anything about cash since last one he bummed saw him pull out a 5/6ths long butt and light up right after like I wouldn't notice.
>>
File: 1462760743507.jpg (158 KB, 908x1000) Image search: [Google]
1462760743507.jpg
158 KB, 908x1000
>>29912868
>I'm currently serve
>>
>>29912256
Specifically training to shoot CCO + PVS seems like a big waste of time. It's not that different from in the day. And the methodology doesn't work worth a shit if you have a magnified optic.
>>
>>29907213
>Aimpoints are not red dots.

Stop posting any time.>>29907856
>>
>>29912897
>deployed half the year up through 08
lol tell me about it! when I moved over to PSYOP we were doing 7months there 5stateside. I got burned out and ETS'd then signed up for reserves.
>>29912902
lol no the carton is just to sell, one wont last you a month. Quit smoking!
>>29912952
The point in training that is so when your shit breaks you can still shoot accurately. Its like doing Senpai fire on three round burst. Do you NEED to shoot it all the time? No, but you should know how to use it, so that the first time you need it, isnt the first time you use it.
>>
>>29912256
>You should master all of your equipment so that you are not caught off guard when shit gets fucked up. What do you do when your PEQ goes down? Shit son, what do you do when you run out of ammo?
This is some cowaduty shit.
>>
>>29913226
>not wanting to be able to effectively use all of your issued equipment
Tell me, were you born this stupid or did you have to work for it?
>>
>>29913094
>Its like doing Senpai fire on three round burst. Do you NEED to shoot it all the time?
Yeah, we had full giggle M4A1s, and we'd gotten through most of the stuff pretty early in a range day while I was instruction during a pre-dep course, so we did a cycle of having them "talk" controlled bursts in auto.
>>
>>29913343
so you grasp the concept of being able to use your equipment to the fullest then?
>I am jelly that my unit is not cool enough to have full retard M-4s.
Seriously though, what happened to the Army? We used to train on every weapon system and piece of equipment. Now its like we have capabilities that no one trains on because on their last deployment they didnt use it, so it must be worthless. Well thats unfuckingacceptable to me! Bayonets are not for D and C, they are for stabbing fuckers in the face and making the grass grow!
Its like the guy from Blackhawk Down that kept saying "you're not gonna need that" suddenly got put in charge of training.
>>
>>29913525
We also almost all wore tan Eagle Industries (MARCIRAS for large and the regular CIRAS for smaller) vests until a couple years after the IOTV, and even then if we already had a SPEARS issue vest we didn't have to take the IOTV.
>>
when my brother first deployed all the grunts had red dots and only the officers/higher up guys had Acogs so my brother went out and bought an acog for his M4
>>
>>29914461
I think you replied to the wrong post
>>
>>29908986
XAXAXAXAXA
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.