[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it true that officers don't really do the shooting they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: 20131220ax-10.jpg (73 KB, 620x332) Image search: [Google]
20131220ax-10.jpg
73 KB, 620x332
Is it true that officers don't really do the shooting they just direct the guys who do?

Debating if an Officer or enlisted rank suits me more. I want to operate but I don't want to be poor as fuck and get treated like shit (enlisted). I want to have fun, operate and be one of the guys not get stuck doing paperwork and be involved in petty office politics. But the pay and prestige of an officer is attractive, plus I might be too intelligent and mature to be enlisted.

I'm a brit gunowner if it helps.
>>
>>29892546
I think Apache gunners are officers, but outside of aviation you don't really need a degree to fire a weapon.
>>
>>29892546

Depends on your actual rank and who you've signed up with.

You might like to try the Royal Marines, as everyone is an operator in the Royal Marines, even the most REMF (read: pog) has served as a grunt for a minimum of two years in a front line regiment.
>>
>>29892606
You don't need a degree to be an apache pilot.
Source: I'm an apache pilot.
>>
>>29892546
our platoon leader, and his second in command didnt shoot, I always gave their ammo to my squad.
>>
>>29892546
>plus I might be too intelligent and mature to be enlisted.
No you are not.
>>
>>29892669
>his second in command
You mean the platoon sergeant?
>>
>>29892670

Whilst a little cringey, he's got a point.

Not my personal opinion, but squaddies are generally known for being crazy, immature thickos.
>>
>>29892546
Just go enlisted and if officer is an actual option for you, do that later on. Being prior enlisted will make you a better and more respected officer.
>>
>>29892723
Nothing of what you said is true. It's all on the individual.
>>
Nope, I was an officer during OIF. Had an M9 Baretta the whole time but let the grunts do the shooting for me.

Fuck those little bitches, I was the boss.
>>
>>29892767
>baretta
2/10 you tried
>>
>I want to have fun, operate and be one of the guys not get stuck doing paperwork and be involved in petty office politics

Don't be an officer then
>>
>>29892783
E-5 and above still gets stuck with paperwork and politics anon.
>>
>>29892677
probably the 2lt
>>
>>29892677
>>29892825
not american but probably the 2lt think thats equal rank at least
>>
>>29892825
>>29892834
In the American military it's
>company co
Captain
>XO
1LT
>platoon leaders
2LT
>>
>>29892546
If an officer is shooting he's generally doing it wrong.
>>
>lel officers don't shoot
How many of you have actually served? And of those how many of you have actually been in firefights?
>>
>>29892546

If youre British then yes, you will operate alongside your platoon.

I am friends with a few guys who deployed on Herrick as platoon commanders (and one returned as a Company 2ic) and they got plenty of bang bang. There's none of this 'I'm an officer I sit back and you do the fighting'

If anything we don't have the manpower to have that luxury.
>>
>>29892546
Aviators are officers, and pretty much any combat arms lieutenant or captain can be in harm's way himself, though his priorities will be more on directing the rest of his unit than shooting things himself. That's arguably more intense than being the enlisted man next to him because you have to keep up with more things mentally and are the one who's "actually" responsible for the outcome.
>>
>>29892546
>I'm a brit gunowner if it helps.

it doesn't help
>>
>>29892870
given this is 4chan I'd say .05 percent
>>
>>29892848
In the UK both 2nd Lieutenants and Lieutenants are platoon leaders
>>
>>29892880
Subalterns have literally never 'sat at the back'. In WW1, which for some reason has the reputation of cowardly officers sending men to die, being a platoon commander was one of the most high-casualty jobs of the war
>>
Just put in your time and make E-7. Once you're a senior NCO not many fuck with you
>>
>>29892694
Being a cringey, arrogant fuck is great way to turn everyone against you, enlisted and officers alike. An officer's job is inherently social. Piss poor self-awareness as OP has demonstrated is a no-go.

>>29892880
At least in the US it is commonly argued that a Platoon commander's weapons are really his men. If he's tunnel visioned in on his scope making the bang bang noises, he is not giving orders and positioning his men, or directing their fire.
>>
>>29892668
Any cool pictures based Apache anon?
>>
>>29892668
You ever got chopper gunner on call of duty modern warfare 2?
>>
File: image.jpg (523 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
523 KB, 2048x1536
>>29893904
A few
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.