[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Get deaf or die trying.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: magnum-force.jpg (53 KB, 476x302) Image search: [Google]
magnum-force.jpg
53 KB, 476x302
After seen the levels of noise that shooting anything above a 9mm/.45acp produces...

Would you choose a Magnum/10mm/.356sig for self or home defense? I shot a 9mm+P once inside a house once and had my ears were ringing for an hour. And TheYankeeMarshal said at Youtube that a single .357Magnum shot without ear protection broke his eardrum...
>>
>>29889300
Sorry for the stupid writing, on the phone and so.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyNvbeCTRO8
>>
Better to be deaf than dead. Soon enough medicine and science will be able to give you bionic ears, idk how long until they can give you a bionic life.
>>
>>29889300
>choosing a pistol for home defense
I SHIRG DIRG BIRD GIR IBRJDH

How bout you put on earpro?
>>
>>29889317
Been deaf can mean ending dead...

I think that i would rather not expose myself to anything louder than a 160db 9mm or .45acp
>>
>>29889317
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ym1ybKPC8Y
>>
>>29889319
OP here. Living downtown in an appartment, i know i could go shotgun but prefer to use the same gun (or guns) i carry and train with. Dunno.
>>
>all those ideots using shotguns and rifles as their HD guns not realizing they'll blow their ears out causing extreme pain that will affect their performance

HELLO 911, I JUST WHAT? HELLO OFFICER YOU WHAT?
>>
>>29889344
Not sure if you were using the apartment for some kinda overpenetration issue nonsense, but, it's nonsense.

Fair enough that you prefer to use the guns you train with, kudos, but why not train with a long arm too?
>>
>>29889366
Not overpenetrating, but the bulk of a long gun and the no need for long range make long barrels look silly.

I know how to shoot rifles quite well, no so shotguns since i never tried one, but cant see how thats useful in a very confined cc scenario. A little 9mm carbine might be... but i feel just ok with a pistol.
>>
File: 13127tn.jpg (12 KB, 380x239) Image search: [Google]
13127tn.jpg
12 KB, 380x239
>>29889383
I mean long gun in terms of any firearm used in two hands. If I were to say long rifle, I'd mean a rifle with a long barrel generally meant for further out ranges.

A barrel doesn't just mean range, it means a huge spike in velocity, which means a huge spike in overall kinetic energy. While KE isn't a direct measure of lethality, it definitely has a much greater potential for wounding your target.

Pistols are pretty much what you see is what you get, unless you're using something ungodly large. You hit a vital or you don't. A long arm on the other hand makes much more of an impact, the temp cavity expansion is so rapid it can damage organs and carry bone fragments with it even if it's not directly contacted by the projectile. Choosing a pistol cartridge is choosing to ballistically limit yourself, and while I admire you for sticking to what works best for you, it's worth noting you're giving up a better option on a pure physics level.
>>
For indoors id use 45 acp or a .22lr rifle with a non retarded mag capacity of 25+

9mm is right on the point of causing perm ear damage with no ear pro

Shotguns and 5.56 carbines are a nono unless you TRAIN putting on your earpro before sweeping the house

Shorter barrels are louder than longer barrels

You niggers dont know what concussion waves are indoors. They will fuck your shit up

I feel sorry for the guy using a muzzle break on his hd rifle

have fun flashbanging urself in the ass
>>
So what can you do indoors to not fuck your ears? Is .22 viable? Suppressors? Throwing on earpro means you can't hear shit, unless you get the expensive electronic kind and that's too much reliance on technology for my tastes.

Also how come no one's sued the ATF for ear damage?
>>
>>29889427
"You almost had me! Good thing you only shoot a nine!" Said no one shot ever. Even our hardest soldiers could go into shock after being shot with a .22. Obviously more bang leaves less to adrenaline and chance, but I just picture you standing in your living room with a nagant you can't turn because it's hitting walls and furniture because of a wound vector. Ever wonder why the jibouti shooty is practiced? Do you honestly feel a rifle could protect you as well as a pistol on the home? Ar15 carbine aside, you are not going to get that round on target near as quickly.
>>
>>29889457
200 dollar earphones are too techy next to potentially a 1000$+ firearm? Explain how this makes sense? How any edge you can give yourself isn't worth it?
>>
>>29889463
There's a strong fallacy in there mate. But if you don't want to listen to me listen to some medical professionals.

http://tacmedaustralia.com.au/why-id-rather-be-shot-with-an-ak47-than-an-m4/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXwPtP-KDNk

I'm not saying you need a super long rifle indoors, get the smallest legal package, train with it.

>>29889457
>expensive electronic
>70 buck peltors
Wat?
>>
>>29889457
You dont need your hearing dude you already know theres something inside the house so just use your eyeballs and do your sweep routine. fall back on your training
>>
This is why I am waiting on a pistol can.
>>
>>29889457

Someone once fired a .357 near my head at an indoor range. I was fucking with my ears, it was my fault/legitimate accident.

I was completely deaf for about a minute and then that ear rang for several months. Probably lost a little bit of hearing but nothing noticeable.

I've gone innawoods with rednecks who never use hearing protection, so I've fired an 8mm mauser, and SKS, a .45 and several .38s without hearing protection, and we were definitely dumping mags into some paper.

I dunno if your ears adapt or what. My hearing is doesn't appear to have changed, maybe some high frequency shit was lost.

But I definitely didn't get my ear drum blown out.
>>
Your hearing is going to be fucked anyways through adrenaline, ear pro and first shots
>>
Ive read they are removing cans off the nfa list
>>
>>29889472
How accurate are the electronic earpros? Can they tell you where a sound is coming from? Do they miss quiet sounds? Obviously the battery can go dead, but I'm asking these because my knowledge of electric earpro is lacking obviously.
>>
>>29889503
Ya nah
>>
>>29889516
Depends on the ones you get.

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/peltor-tactical-6-s-slim-line-electronic-headset.html?gclid=CKbd7KubzcwCFU88gQodl-YMIQ

I've got these guys, they're decent, not the best, but they do give a fine level of amplification and you can certainly tell what's coming from where. Dog just ran by barking as I'm typing this with them on, clearly heard her through the closed door run down the hallway.

Only downside right now is this very quiet yet constant white noise, it isn't bad or distracting, nor does it obscure my hearing at all, but I imagine more pricey versions may get rid of it.
>>
>>29889540
Google it
>>
>>29889595
I know about the hearing protection act but I just don't believe it will get passed unless republicans take over the congress and the white house.
>>
File: 1456183083668.jpg (107 KB, 399x482) Image search: [Google]
1456183083668.jpg
107 KB, 399x482
>>29889609
So be it.
>>
>>29889516
Some are pretty alright and the better ones you can calibrate. Feels like Sperry hero hearing. Still directional but not like natural heading of course.
>>
>>29889300
Who gives a shit about your hearing in such a situation? Chances of you ever having to shoot an intruder are near zero, what do you think the odds are of it happening multiple times?
>>
>Soldiers shooting hundreds of .72 caliber muskets at once while cannons fire in wars that last decades
>Most that's written is "eh lance corporal Old Fuck is kinda deaf but he knows when to fire and charge"
>People hunted and defended their homes with .50 to .90 caliber muzzleloaders with no complaints
>This was normal for like 500 years
>in 2016 numale twinks think firing a shotgun without $500 electronic earpro and muffs will blow out both ears and give them a TBI

Modern white people.....this is sad lol
>>
>>29889497
Ears adapt m8, when I was a kid shooting a .22 would really hurt my ears and when I joined the Army I thought I popped an eardrum shooting an M4 without earpro.
Nowdays after years of shooting it doesn't even bother me to shoot a 12ga or mosin without earpro.
>>
>>29889300
Good topic, anon. More people should think about this.

My defense/carry gun is loaded with 158gr. LSWCHP +P .38 special. It's the quietest respectable defense load (i.e. "pop, pop, pop") I've found and I can shoot it very accurately. It also has insignificant muzzle flash.

Even in a crisis, I don't want some nagging fear of the muzzle-blast to cause me to flinch, nor do I want to be too blinded or dazed to make effective follow-up shots.

I'm terrified of firing a .357 magnum indoors without earpro, I'm not terrified at all of firing my defense loads. That psychological difference alone makes my choice sensible.

Other good low-flash/blast choices include .44 special, .45 Colt or ACP. If you want more power, consider a carbine that shoots these loads. The barrel length will add velocity while further reducing blast.
>>
>>29891482
>People hunted and defended their homes with .50 to .90 caliber muzzleloaders with no complaints
Outdoors, with barrels that were often longer than 30 inches (reducing the perceived blast by 1/d^2). No comparison with a magnum fired indoors.
>>
>>29889435
This is why I sold my AR pistol to go back to a 16" midlength as home defense AR

2-4 inches won't mean much in compactness, but it will make a difference in flash and how loud the bang is.

I hate james peach yeagar, but he's right, your arms outstretched pointing a pistol is just as lobg as pointing an 18.5" barreled and full stocked shot gun and 16" rifle.
>>
>>29891549
Ears numb m8
It's not really a good thing.
How are you gonna be tactically aware with your damaged ears?
>>
>>29889516
You get what you pay for.

Of course you have to try tgem out but the more expensive one filter out background noise while cheap ones pick up the wind constantly.

----------

Regardless I have a pair of peltor sport tacticals near my bedside one in the kitchen, one in the garage and one in the tool shed.

Power tools and kitchen appliances be boisey, yo. Plus I have the beneifit of having hearing pro near by key entrances along with a flashlight
>>
File: 1462411294110.jpg (52 KB, 500x624) Image search: [Google]
1462411294110.jpg
52 KB, 500x624
>>29889300
Um, absolutely; I want the couple of rounds I'm gonna fire to have the following effects:

>kill whomever is hit
>daze & terrify everyone but me with a pants-shittingly-loud thunderclap
>be loud as fuck
>did i mention how loud i wanted it to be

Average gunfight involves two rounds per shooter on average (most shooters only fire once; the average is two because a small percentage double-tap or magdump). So, I want to kill two intruders and terrify the rest; I'll still have four rounds to deal with anyone unwilling or unable to flee in a timely manner, plus I can use that big honking barrel with the full-shroud underlug to beat the fuck out of whomever's still standing around with pistolwhips & muzzlestamps. And I've probably got two loaded either on me or next to my bed plus speedloaders (one's probably just a little ankle holdout).
>>
>>29891403
FBI stats say at least two shots, if not a mag dump when it comes to civilian home defense.
>>
>>29891482
You know that there is stories and troupes about deaf napoleonic war veterans, right? That's why in some old cartoons, sold soldiers have hear hirns they stick in their ear?
>>
>>29891482
Hell, some ancient roman soldiers and medieval knights have comented on ringing ears from bashing metal weapons and armor together along with screaming and yelling.
>>
>>29889300

why not just sleep with earpro on? helps you get to sleep better anyway
>>
>>29891482
Lets not forget WW1 vets who had to deal with near constant artillery barrage and auto matic gun fire.

Lots of those guys turned out okay and aren't deaf...
>>
>>29891482
>Soldiers in WW1 dealt with trenchfoot all the time
>in 2016 numale twinks think marching for 48 hours without changing socks will result in jungle rot

How you sound right now
>>
>>29889482
About as much if a fallacy as implying a rifle is the only acceptable means for indoor self defense I suppose.
>>
>>29892398
This.
>>
>>29892698
Never implied that, just saying you're giving up some seriously superior ballistics.
>>
>>29889516
The best ones actually amplify quiet sounds to a higher volume than you would normally hear, sort of like a gameear
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.