[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Compound bow vs. recurve bow which is the true king of archery.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: compoundvrecurve.jpg (126 KB, 1200x1500) Image search: [Google]
compoundvrecurve.jpg
126 KB, 1200x1500
Compound bow vs. recurve bow which is the true king of archery.
>>
>>29763478
Kind of depends. Recurved works great for some types of shots but compound bows are better for precise shots since they're easier to hold at full draw.
>>
Compound bow is more effective.
That said, bows are not used in such a harsh way today, that it really matters.
Its really whatever. Your main limitation is draw weight for hunting, or accuracy for target shooting anyhow.
>>
>>29763478
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

Stop what you're doing and watch this video, before you make any of the wrong decisions or buy into the hype that is modern archery. Lars Andersen has studied the actual historical texts that warrior archers learned from, and compiled a style created from accurate, practicality driven teachings. Modern archers will want to load you up with all kinds of compounds bows, sights, quivers, carbon fiber arrows, etc. These are all generic consumer products that will not actually help you grow as an archer, rather hinder you by building bad habits and reliance on them.

Seriously, don't fall into the modern myths of archery, the study is changing and Lars is leading the way, following him is following thousands of years of far more effective archers than we can hope to become today.
>>
>>29765345
Every fucking time.
>>
>>29765345
I mean I think this is probably bait since I know archers got butthurt at this guy but I just don't give a fuck about bows
>>
>>29765345
kill yourself
>>
File: 1449429210871.png (587 KB, 625x918) Image search: [Google]
1449429210871.png
587 KB, 625x918
>>29765345
sigh
>>29763478
it depends what your using it for, both can be used for hunting if thats what you plan on doing, but like i said it all depends on what your preference is and what its for.
>>
Compound bows get about 69 Joules of energy. A 22lr CCI stinger from a rifle gets over 200 Joules.

A freaking kids toy delivers death better than a compound bow.

>current year
>using a bow
>>
>>29765382
Ayyy w/ that Dom for the win
>>
>>29765395
>.22lr
>firearms are toys
>2016
>>
>>29763478
Depends on use, mainly.

I have yet to find a recurve that can sling an arrow with a 125gr broadhead at 300+fps which higher end compounds will do.

Hell they are already surpassing the 350fps range and well on the way to 400fps which I think we will see in production before 2020.

For hunting, the compound really is key. It lets you put an arrow exactly where you want it with maximum power behind it, allowing for greater distance and better killing potential. With the right broadheads and arrow speed, errant bones and the like become less and less a problem.

Recurves on the other hand certainly require more skill from the user, as they lack similar power and have no let-off to allow you to hold for extended periods of time. In comparison I've stayed at full draw on a weary buck for upwards of several minutes and still was able to make a clean shot.

I hunt with both because I enjoy each for what they are. But comparing a compound to a recurve is like comparing a modern tricked out AR15 to a brown bess. The compound is just flat out better at slinging arrows and doing so accurately.

>>29765345
b8

>>29765395
>energy all that matters
A wound from a 300fps arrow tipped with a modern engineered 125gr broadhead is as damaging to tissue as a lot of big bore rifles. I've produced some horrendous wounds over the years with a bow.
>>
>>29765345
Fucking beautiful.

10/10 here's your (you)
>>
>>29765345
Not this copy pasta again
>>
compounds have modern tech that lets you hold all fucking day at full draw due to let off, this also helps if you dialed that thing in at 70# and even if you have shit form, you can just weirdly struggle that fucker until you're at full draw and 70-80% of the weight is gone. They are also much smaller in size so you can move around with them much easier.

But they are much more complex than recurve, takedown, or traditional bows. You'll need extra equipment to take apart a compound and you need to know how to tune it if you use dual cams and the timing goes out the window.

Trad/recurve/takedown/etc are much more simpler system. If something goes wrong, you wont need as much tools to fix or replace a takedown bow.
But, you better have some good arm and back muscles because you'll be pulling and holding whatever pull weight at all phases of the draw. Also, they are much larger/longer than componds in general, so you're going to hit some tough spots if you take them around the woods a lot.

Also, depending on how you will use the compound bow, it can be much more forgiving a platform than traditional bows when it cones to your form, namely due to the advent of mechanical releases and of course the whole letoff vs muscle/bone-to-bone/technique to hold/aim/breath/etc at full draw.
>>
>>29765395
Martial arts go up to 2000N.
Weapon arts go up to 3000N.
Normal bullets is in 800-2000N range.
Newton alone isn't interesting. Also that bow projectile arc is super sexy.
>>
The king of archery is the archer. Not the bow.
>>
>>29765395
>energy=damage
>>
>>29765525
>a broadhead does as much damage as a big bore rifle

No it doesn't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1vk2SsWRdA
4:15
>took like 30 minutes to bleed out to death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcl0H2ZxtAk
1:35
>instantly dead

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/pony-nanaimo-arrow-idiot-shot-shetland-bc-1.3288017
>some asshole shot a pony with a crossbow
>the bolt/arrow went straight through
>pony survived with injuries

You really think a 30-06 would have done the same damage to the pony? Get back to the real world buddy.
>>
>>29765395
Just so you know, kinetic energy is pretty meaningless as a measurement of a bow/arrow's lethality.

Arrows kill by penetrating and cutting, with more penetration through tissue resulting in a longer cut and more bleeding - this has nothing to do with energy transfer (where you want to maximise KE). You want momentum (i.e. mass x velocity) with minimal energy transfer (so the arrow slows down as little as possible while cutting),

The goal is for the arrow will penetrate whatever you're shooting entirely and fly out the other side, giving you a huge cut and holes in both sides of the body to speed up bleeding out.
>>
>>29765852
>sample size:3
LOL
>>
>>29765852
That was not the best shot with a bow and also somehow a very weak shot. I've never NOT had my arrow pass through entirely with a compound and only a few times with a recurve.

Last year I took a doe through the heart and she literally just went down like it was a video game, didn't even take a step.

I've also taken deer right through the heart with a 30-06 and had them make it 100yds.

I took my 8 year old nephew for a hunt in TX and he bagged a nice nanny doe with a .243 and that deer spun once before dropping instantly from a simple double lung hit.

Judging by that video, he spined the thing probably. I don't see any wound on its side at all, which to me coupled with the way it went down, means he probably hit high spine.

As for the horse
>near her lungs
So not a lethal shot in the least considering horsefaggots and how much they spend on vets and other dumb shit for their retarded animals.

I've been killing shit for a long time and yes I have seen some of my arrow hits be just as devastating as anything I've slung out of my 30-06. Though perhaps the worst wound I ever inflicted was with a .300wby which shredded both lungs, broke both front shoulders, and the deer just dropped in place. Ruined too much meat but I bought the damn rifle for moose but have never been lucky enough to draw a tag.
>>
>>29765852
This video shows why Norwegians dislike hunting with bows.
If you hit properly, its fine.
If you miss, the animal just runs of, permanently damaged. Or spends hours bleeding out.
With rifles the internal damage is at the least of a magnitude where it bleeds out in minutes.
>>
I want to shoot big heavy arrows out of a big heavy bow, where do i start?
>>
>>29766488
Back and shoulder training.
A bow thats hard to draw.
Go for it
>>
File: RageBroadheads[1].jpg (177 KB, 800x1217) Image search: [Google]
RageBroadheads[1].jpg
177 KB, 800x1217
>>29765880
>The goal is for the arrow will penetrate whatever you're shooting entirely and fly out the other side, giving you a huge cut and holes in both sides of the body to speed up bleeding out.
And the bigger the blades, the better the cut and higher the chance to sever something important.

At the same time, the bigger the arrowhead, the more erratic the flight path becomes, so flip-stye broadheads came into use, but had middling terminal performance compared to fixed designs.

The current big thing is slip-cam models that slide the blades rearwards and out, which uses the impact force more efficiently, has higher guarantee of proper opening, and allows for even bigger blades than on a fixed broadhead.
>>
>>29765914
I hit a big buck in the heart from ~60 yards with my .30-06 a few years back and his heart fucking exploded. When I dressed him I couldn't find it. Still haven't killed anything with my bow yet but I've only had it for one season.
>>
>>29766488
by not over-bowing yourself and starting small, learn to shoot correctly and work your way up as your body allows. work out. starting too heavy will fuck your draw cycle and make it hard to unlearn.
>>29767538
>Back and shoulder training.
this.
>>
>>29765345
Give it a rest already
>>
File: Steamsauce everywhere.gif (2 MB, 480x292) Image search: [Google]
Steamsauce everywhere.gif
2 MB, 480x292
>>29765355

To think that >>29765345 is NOT the same person that posted >>29763478
>>
>>29763478
ELB / Warbow. Erryday.

>>29765525
People will disagree with this, for good reason. But now imagine 75+ grams of half inch war arrow with a type 10 / lozenge bodkin from a 120lb long bow.
With target points on 63gram (~950 grain!) 1/2" arrows, ive split 2×4" pine on a regular basis.

>>29765345
Gr8 b8 m8
FUCK YOU STILL THOUGH.
>>
>>29767816

That's true about cutting diameter, and also the planing effect of a broad head with more surface area. Still, as far as severing something important goes, basically any shot inside the heart/lung zone is going to do that - obviously a field point or something is still going to be shit, but a comparatively skinny two-blade will work fine even without a massive cutting diameter. When you add to that that bow kills are heavily dependent on shot placement and that a fixed blade tends to out-penetrate mechanicals (especially breaking bone and stuff like that on marginal shots), at least for me that's a pretty good case for fixed blades.
>>
Really what it all comes down to:
Hunting: compound has more advantages

Survival: Recurve because you can replace the string without special equipment
>>
>>29765395
People hunt fucking elephants with compound bows.
There is this thing called penetration, nigger...
>>
>>29772195
Elephant hunting with arrows are usually combined with poison rubbed on the shaft of the arrow. Their skin is thick and arrows are small.
>>
>>29772225
You don't know fucking shit, and it shows.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.