[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
highvelocity rounds and rifles 5000 fps plus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: _Leopard2HEL_11.jpg (71 KB, 800x618) Image search: [Google]
_Leopard2HEL_11.jpg
71 KB, 800x618
now k many people say it cant be done to have a 5000fps plus bullet they say barrel wear will be too excessive but what if you don't use steel what if you use something like tungsten or a tungsten alloy sure it will be heavy but still it should work in theory, case capacity is no restriction as we can easily neck down large cartridges and we have really fast burning propplents now so tell me k what is keeping me from having fun
>>
>>29757473
look nigger
most of shit can be done

at the same time it maybe not realistic, safe economic to do it

and enjoy ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++p+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

round next to your face
>>
>>29757473

>what is keeping me from having fun

Basic grammar, for one.
>>
>>29757516
let me tell you something anon grammar does not matter when one carries a 5000fps plus machine of death. I will make you accept my lack of punctuations and other grammar things ohh look I made a grammatical mistake right there. bite me
>>
>>29757473
diamond being the hardest metal why don't we make barrels out of diamonds ?
>>
File: 1430427156494.png (176 KB, 872x1000) Image search: [Google]
1430427156494.png
176 KB, 872x1000
>>29757536
>>
>>29757473
>use tungsten alloy in a barrel
lmao no, that is not what you do.

Part of the issue with moving something that fast down a rifled barrel is the heat, not from the actual propellant that pushes that chunk of metal, but instead it comes from a fuckton of friction that heats the barrel. With friction also comes wear and I'm sorry, but even the most well-lubricated surfaces will eventually wear down if given enough time. Obviously friction complications (both the mechanical and thermal) are bad for something built to contain a controlled explosion, it's why large bore weapons like tank guns and artillery are actually several "sleeves" that make up a barrel, the inner-most is the designed to resist those forces as best it can but they do need factory rebuilds from normal use.

You simply won't get around barrel wear, it's just that most of the forces in conventional firearms never experience that level of abuse until late in their operational life. Sure, if you have a barrel that can fire a hypervelocity slug safely it'll be cool, but expect such performance to come with parts wear. In short: deal with it, you cannot have your cake and eat it too.
>>
>>29757551
I beg to differ...

I'm pretty sure you're confusing diamonds with my dick.
>>
>>29757473
It's a matter of friction more than anything else, keep in mind the barrel is steel and will hold up to the heat a lot better than the heavy metal projectile you are pushing down it. also the speed of gas expansion isn't much over 5000fps, so you are looking at some pretty efficient power transfer to even get above 4K.
having a barrel and chamber strong enough is not the issue, it's having a low enough friction coefficient that the projectile doesn't exit the barrel as a liquid. this of course is dealing with traditional firearms design.
NASA has guns that will do 23,000 fps, but they use smokeless to compress helium behind a burst disk and then fire a saboted projectile in a vacuum chamber, not really a good rig for hunting. I think they are called Light Gas Guns, if you want to look them up.
>>
>>29759840
>>TL;DR
>>Gases from smokeless powder only expand so fast.
>>Friction melts bullets.
>>
>>29757570
as it is, some magnum rifle barrels will only last a few hundred rounds before either becoming inaccurate or losing velocity to the point of asking why you aren't using non-magnum
>>
Why not just have this kind of ammo and treat barrels as disposable?
>>
Best that we can do with current tech:

Long, smooth bore barrel. Vacuum sealed.
Sabot rounds, fin stabilised, minimal contact with the barrel like an air rifle pellet.
Hi temp tolerant polymer driving band.
Slow burn propellant in a seperate chamber.
Burst disk to release gas at the highest pressure.

That can get you up passed 10,000 FPS, once an hour or so.
>>
just make a light gas gun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgyG414-bAs
>>
>>29757473
You have it all wrong. Smooth bore with a sabot and shit tons of powder
>no rifling to wear down
>tanks use it and we know tanks are cool
>shoot what are essentially arrows at your enemy at stupid velocities
>>
>>29757473
if you have money, you can have any kind of gun that you want to shoot, it's just if you have the cash or not really
>>
>>29757473
>what if you use something like tungsten or a tungsten alloy

Because you can't make a barrel out of it
It's too hard
>>
>>29757551
Because diamond isn't a metal
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.