[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RPR for a first gun?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: rpr.jpg (31 KB, 1006x271) Image search: [Google]
rpr.jpg
31 KB, 1006x271
I just heard about the new 6.5mm creedmoor Ruger precision rifle. I'm a no guns fag and always wanted to shoot shit really far away. Is getting a precision rifle for a first gun absurd? aside from it not being great for defense. 1,600 meters range for a bit over a grand is crazy.

Is maintaining one of these impossible for a noguns? Is the ammo crazy expensive? Are Bolt action ARs gay? Should I get something before this, I'm not in any rush?
>>
>>29752243
match 6.5 ammo is about the same price as match .308 (i.e. 1.00 a round.) There is nothing wrong with buying a budget precision rifle for your first.
>>
>>29752285
1.00 plus*, 140gr AMAX is similarly priced to 175gr FGMM.
>>
>>29752285
Cool, Do I have to use match grade or will that fuck up the gun if I'm starting out at like 100 yards.
>>
>>29752243

If you're noguns you couldn't hit shit with a 10/22 from 100 feet away, what makes you think a ruger precision rifle would let you hit shit from 1,000? Get something that you can shoot cheaply and practice the fundamentals of rifle shooting with for your first.*

*Unless you're rich as fuck and have plenty of money to blow on 6.5 creedmor
>>
>>29752243
It would be one hell of a good rifle to learn marksmanship on

Its a pretty solid idea, shame 6.5creedmore in Australia is unobtainium, its why im very much considering the 243
>>
>>29752308
You don't HAVE to, it is just optimal ...you just won't group as well.
>>
Nothing inherently wrong about getting an rpr, as the other anon said ammo prices are coming down and learning long range precision shooting is really fun, for starters though learning the basics (if you already haven't) is a lot cheaper with another caliber. Hate to sounds like a broken record but really a .22 rifle is a great start. Buy a bunch of ammo for it and go shooting or take a clinic. Once you have the basics down get an rpr and a decent scope and rings and make sure you install them properly
>>
>>29752327
>>29752356
Is maintenance any different/more difficult with precision rifle, could I damage it with inexperience?
>>
I pay $32 for 20rds of ELD-X Hornady match.

Op. To get that far your going to need a scope. Best bufget scope for your use would be a SWFA 3-15. But i would want a 5-25 (SWFA or Vortex)

In addition you will need a bipod.

Your all up start up cost will be

$1200 ish for the gun ( you will be lucky to find the 6.5 in stock or below msrp)

$65 for rings

$85 for harris bipod

$15 for bipod adaptor

$700-1400 for a scope

$125 in varrious supplies ( cleaning kit, ear and eye protection, cheap case)

A more realistic cost would be
$2190-2700 dollars starting from scratch, plus ammo.

Not saying dont do it. But that is a lot to drop on a new hobby.

A 22lr with a scope and bipod will teach you the basics fundamentals for $500 all i .
>>
>>29752406
Honestly the best budget scope would be a standard fixed 10x SWFA but a 5-15 would be perfect
>>
>>29752404
Use a one piece, preferably non metallic cleaning rod
>>
>>29752404
Yes.

You will want a bore guide. A solid ( not screw together) coated cleaning rod, brass jags and solid brass brush.

You only ever clean from the breach to the muzzle . you must protect the crown of the barrel or your accuracy will suffer.

Go watch the sniper 101 videos on youtube by tibersaurus rex(sp?) it is a great series.
>>
>>29752406
Are the ELD-X worth the price over the AMAX in your opinion?.

>>29752404
Unless you go full retard during barrel cleaning, not really. Most people use bore guides and special long cleaning rods.
>>
>>29752442
Yes the swfa fixed 10 or 12 would be an excelent choice.

If you go with a swfa you could be all set and ready at a price of

$1890
>>
>>29752479
>>29752454
>>29752442
What makes a good scope? Isn't it just magnifying glass and nobs?
>>
>>29752511
Glass quality/coatings, durability, tracking (accurate and consistent adjustments), and features.
>>
>>29752454
Over 500? Yep
Under nope.

I like them because of the consistancy. The sd on the factory loads ive used has been less than 10fps
>>
>>29752511
Clarity. tracking/repeatability, and holding zero are the most important.

Durability right after that, then magnification.

Like someone else said check out the sniper 101 videos. They are a great foundation by someone who knows his shit.
>>
>>29752454
Also , i dont know if it is a price point thing or what,but the 143gn stuff has been mich more concentric out of the box. Like 1-2 thousands total run out vs the standard stuff that has about 4 thousands of runout on my last 2 boxes ( from different lots)
>>
File: Savage 111.jpg (68 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Savage 111.jpg
68 KB, 600x450
>>29752243

If you think you're going to just pull it out of the box and start hitting targets at 1,600 yards I've got bad news for you.

Frankly its more gun then your skill we be able to utilize. If you want to get into long range shooting get yourself something like a Savage 111 hunting rifle in .308 for less than half the price (and it comes with a decent scope), get good with that (to the point that you can shoot at 500 yards with ease) and then consider getting something like a RPR.

>Are Bolt action ARs gay?

ARs are by definition semi automatic or fully automatic unless they've been neutered to satisfy the laws of some pussy government like BritBongistan or Australasia.

The RPR is not an AR, its just the same color.
>>
thanks guys, you've all been all been great for my questions. I'll check out the Savage 111 or a .22 of some kind.
>>
>>29752651
There's nothing wrong with learning on a 6.5CM. If he doesn't like it, he wouldn't have a hard time selling the rifle at all, but I doubt he wont like it.
>>
>>29752743
you could also check out the ruger american rifle if you can
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.