[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some of the best/craziest examples of a military us
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6
What are some of the best/craziest examples of a military using the landscape or non-military infrastructure to fight? I can think of the Germans flooding areas of Normandy, and the Soviets busting open the dam at Zaporizhzhya in Ukraine to stop the German advance. Can't really think of any others though, there's gotta be some...

http://www.rferl.org/content/european-remembrance-day-ukraine-little-known-ww2-tragedy/25083847.html
>>
>>29746164
Iraqi army burning the oil wells and creating an oil spill to stop air and amphibious attacks.

Environmental warfare is cool, but at the same time really crazy.
>>
File: static1.squarespace.jpg (205 KB, 1500x1112) Image search: [Google]
static1.squarespace.jpg
205 KB, 1500x1112
>>29746218
Ha yeah I thought they were just doing that to be total dicks, but I guess there is some strategic value there. Good stuff.
>>
File: Baghdad_etm_2003092_lrg.jpg (458 KB, 889x1200) Image search: [Google]
Baghdad_etm_2003092_lrg.jpg
458 KB, 889x1200
>>29746255
>>
File: Oude-en-nieuwe-waterlinie.jpg (102 KB, 520x591) Image search: [Google]
Oude-en-nieuwe-waterlinie.jpg
102 KB, 520x591
Instead of extending your forces of a long defensive line, just retreat and flood large planes of your country.
>>
>>29746385
That's assuming you have water and plains....

If you have mountains, avalanche that shit. It seems like you're pretty much fucked if you're a country like Ukraine or Kazakhstan or something. Just wiiiiiide open space.
>>
File: 3238125607_c77783a2d3_z.jpg (96 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
3238125607_c77783a2d3_z.jpg
96 KB, 500x375
Not really the same thing, but ya gotta love the Swiss. Brute force is fun, but I'm a sucker for creative strategies.
>>
>>29747053
do do do just a farm house nothing to see here.
>>
>>29746164
In Summer 1938, the chinese nationalists under Chiang Kai Shek created what's probably the deadliest deliberately created disaster in human history.

They decided to slow down the japanese advance by blowing the dikes in the yellow river dam. Low-end estimates are around half a million dead and 3 million refugees from that. It was also not all that successful as it only slowed down the japanese advance for a month or two. And long-term, it drove much of the population in northern China into Mao's camp because holy shit had the locals enough of the Kuomintang after that.
>>
File: Stuck-jeep.jpg (1 MB, 1364x1055) Image search: [Google]
Stuck-jeep.jpg
1 MB, 1364x1055
>>29747350
Daaang. Like the Stalin move in Ukraine. I mean, can't you release enough water in a controlled way to wash out low bridges and maybe flood low-lying areas enough to bog shit down for a while without killing a shit load of civilians? Even stalling an enemy for a few days to a week would be a good thing. Damn, son...
>>
Alexander the Great built a fucking rock bridge under enemy fire in order to make the island of Tyre into a penninsula so he could besiege it.

Americans and British developed and used dam buster bombs to flood low lands Europe under Nazi hegemony during WWII

In Stalingrad, Russian and German troops ratholed the entire fucking city, used the sewers both to resupply the frontline AND to make fucking attacks through. Similarly at Sevastapol Russian defenders holed up in caves for a long-ass time before succumbing to attrition.

In Somalia, tire fires were lit to communicate alarm to disparate armed groups and to attempt to obscure visibility from the air during the famed "Blackhawk Down" incident.

Fighting between Italians and Austrians during WWI in the Alps led to debatable use of avalanches as weapons to considerable deadly effect: (http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/soldiers-perish-in-avalanche-as-world-war-i-rages)

Americans attempted to cause extended monsoon seasons during their campaigns in Vietnam: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Popeye

At various times in history, especially during the age of sail, navies have sunk old ships in approaches to their harbors in order to create reefs that would prove dangerous to those not privy to their locations.

Difficult to find specific references, but I am 99% certain that Native Americans and other groups throughout history have caused large herds of cattle to stampede either to disengage with the enemy, to mask the movement of troops (dust cloud), or to cause destruction and disruption in the enemy ranks.
>>
>>29746164
Hills in general really.
>>
>>29747893
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tondibi
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.