[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was he actually a good general?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 10
File: 01-washington.jpg (18 KB, 363x500) Image search: [Google]
01-washington.jpg
18 KB, 363x500
>>
Good leader yes.

Not good tactician.
>>
>>29744046
He was considered good enough that the British offered him Ohio to rejoin the His Army.
>>
>>29744046

Absolutely. He Cucked the Brits hardcore.

The problem was they couldn't transfer troops fast enough. They didn't have Humvees.

Then like the great Cincinnatus of Rome he laid down his power to enjoy the American Nation he created.

America? Fuck yeah. All other Nations BTFO. You are allowed to be our Ally, but you know who Big Daddy is.
>>
>>29744046
He will kill you in your sleep on Christmas.
>>
>>29744049
This.
He was a brilliant leader. He understood the value of good officers. And used, (or allowed them to use) their knowledge and skill on battlefield situational tactics.
>>
File: america.jpg (73 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
america.jpg
73 KB, 800x600
>>29744078
>Colonial keks
>>
Faggot piece of shit who lead an invading army into Pennsylvania in order to kill people for not cutting the government a share of their whiskey business.

Literally a tyrant as bad as King George himself.
>>
According to some historians, no he wasn't that great of a military strategist and nearly compromised the entire revolution several times because his ego and greed was in the way.
>>
>>29744103
I don't know who you are or what you're about.

But I could murder you and have friends that are worse. Don't ever fucking imply anything otherwise or get corrected.

I've seen men die and could easily kill you.
>>
File: 1385208271182.jpg (3 KB, 125x123) Image search: [Google]
1385208271182.jpg
3 KB, 125x123
You swapped one overlord for another, and today you're ruled by corporations and have two nigh identical main political parties.

>>29744046
No, he was a good leader - good at using people of skill and letting them use THEIR skills effectively. He was mediocre at everything else.
>>
Not sure but he was a big guy
>>
reminder to non-Americans that George Washington was offered the chance to be King of America, but he turned it down in favor of establishing the tradition of presidency
>>
>>29744142

This.
>>
>>29744142
this is what happens when liberals teach history, they twist it to hekp them slowly tear down our nations heros and our values, all for nothing other than because they themselves could never aspire to be greater than they are.
>>
he was OK.
He was fantastic at running colonial intelligence, though. Which feeds into good strategy and tactics.
>>
>>29744588
Literally the most important quality of a general
>>
>>29744046
Depends on how you mean it.
He was a superb leader, inspirational figure, and a very brave man who would march in front of the rest of his troops at times.
But he was by no means a brilliant tactician, nor did he win a large majority of his battles. He rallied the troops, and won the fights that help decided the war.
I'd say he was superb, but for those that think of a general exclusively as a strategist/tactician, no.
>>
In the way Eisenhower was.

Now who was Washington's Patton?
>>
>>29745480
Not the only one, you simpleton. Read the other posts itt.
>>
>>29745553
that gay guy
>>
>>29745572
Being at the top means his foremost responsibility was making decisions based on his subordinates' input, not concocting his own. It's called the hierarchy of responsibility. He may have made mistakes but he was human.
>>
>>29746152
>was human
apotheosis.capitolrotunda
>>
File: image.jpg (137 KB, 1710x840) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
137 KB, 1710x840
>>29745016
Yeah, it was definitely my public school teacher who told me about how George Washington led an army against tax resistors.

Every single public school,history curriculum is sure to point out the ways in which our founders betrayed the revolution in effort to protect their power.

It's not like you have to actually go out and study shit yourself to find out about Shay's rebellion or the bonus army, or the battle of Blair mountain, or the bombing of black Wall Street.

Take your simple-minded hero worship the fuck out of my country.
>>
https://youtu.be/l7iVsdRbhnc
>>
>>29744286
lolwut? i really have no idea what you're even talking about. did you forget to take your meds this morning?
>>
>>29744046
Knew how to mobilize, which is a staple for every army.
>>
>>29744046
You wouldn't be here, able to make this post, if he wasn't.
>>
>>29744046
Well we won didn't we?

Beat back the mighty British Empire. Yeah I would say we did pretty fucking well.
>>
>>29746583
Frame it however you want, but you damn well know that building a new nation isn't like flipping a switch. They set up a system that allowed for changes to be with good intention. Doesnt mean there's gonna be a smooth changeover or a magic tome that allows for it to be 100% viable at the start.

You sound like the type of person that would harbor resentment for your parents for decades for laying a strap across your ass even though loved you.
>>
It was Stephen Ambrose (who wrote Band of Brothers) who said Washington was not a great general because he didn't win most of his battles. But he was able to hold the colonial army together and keep them fighting for him when victory did not seem certain.
Washington certainly wanted to win the big battles, and tried to win most of the battles, but also realized what Robert E. Lee realized in the 1860's and Ho Chi Mihn realized in the 1960's. If you are fighting a foreign invader on your own soil, you don't have to win all your battles most of your battles. You simply have to outlast the enemy. If you can keep up organized resistance for seven or eight years and the enemy has not yet beaten you, they will usually give up..
>>
>>29748490
>Stephen Ambrose
there's our problem right there
>>
>>29744049
What this guy said.
>>
>>29745016
This. If you can't be the king of the hill...bulldose the hill.
>>
>>29744142
>Bullshit typed by a faggot who thinks a nation can pay its wartime debts with unicorn farts and children's laughter.
>>
Aside from being cukked by the French early on, he turned out ok. Learned from his mistakes.
>>
Was Washington actually bad at strategy/tactics? He did not have many decisive victories in his favor apart from stuff like Saratoga, but he wasn't pursuing a policy of trying to win decisive victories either. As one of the previous anons said, he won by simply making sure he didn't lose.
>>
>>29747082
>compares the state to parents and citizens to children
>calls other people liberal

wew lad
>>
>>29744046
he could have ben king and establish a monarchy, but he didn't. He's the man, man
>>
>>29746583
>Actually defending Shays' Rebellion

They were a bunch of proto-communists who wanted to debase the country's new, unstable currency by issuing unbacked paper money and to force the government to declare an extralegal amnesty of public and private debts.

While they did have legitimate grievances, they lost much of their credibility both among their contemporaries and the people of today by fighting to achieve such radical aims.
>>
>>29744286

What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>29748580
>calls other people liberal
Show me where faggot
>>
he led an army of farmers against the largest most powerful military force on earth.

yes he was a good general. generals should be judged on their achievements. he achieved an free and independent united states and was one of the only rulers in history to voluntarily relinquish his power.

at the end of the revolutionary war he could have easily crowned himself the new king, he did not. He gave his power to the new congress and representative government and was soon elected to become the first president of the united states.

Without george washington we would not be here speaking american.
>>
>>29748944
And if Stonewall Jackson wasn't shot by his own sentry, we would be talking German.
>>
>>29748731
>betraying the revolution
>ever

G T F O
T
F
O
>>
>>29748964
Literally how the fuck do you draw that conclusion?
>>
>>29748490

Robert E Lee launched two invasions of the North in the hopes of defeating the Union Army in decisive battles and bringing the North to the negotiating table, which ended with two major strategic losses.

He also deliberately chose to not launch a guerilla war after Appomattox despite being asked to by some of his officers,
>>
File: pizza.jpg (132 KB, 450x360) Image search: [Google]
pizza.jpg
132 KB, 450x360
>>29749087
Confederacy wins. US fractures into separate countries like Europe. Germany prevails as dominate western power. Got me an A in history thesis so there.
>>
Benedict Arnold was a hero of the great colonial cause of independence. Anyone that says otherwise is a liar.
>>
>>29749152
Your professor must be a fucking invalid.

>Germany prevails as doninate western power
Im curious how tha fuck you got to that conclusion
>>
>>29746152
>Being at the top means his foremost responsibility was making decisions based on his subordinates' input, not concocting his own. It's called the hierarchy of responsibility. He may have made mistakes but he was human.
That doesn't address anything I wrote.
>>
>>29749152

Well I give you a D.

We had closer ties to France than Germany, which may or may not been Prussian at that point.
>>
>>29749172
Professor was German.
>>
>>29749207
France had already blown the Napoleon chance by the time the US Civil war was fought.
>>
>>29749227
>Foreign affairs

Thanks for the Statue of Liberty. She's an ugly bitch but I'll keep her.
>>
>>29744286
Geez Washington chill the fuck out, why do you always have to get like this?
>>
File: 1458167661209.gif (2 MB, 219x186) Image search: [Google]
1458167661209.gif
2 MB, 219x186
>>29744286
>>
>>29749183
I did though. You didn't write a fucking thesis.
>>
>>29744046

At Valley Forge his leadership held together a volunteer army that the Continental Congress couldn't afford to pay through the most brutal winter they'd ever seen with scant supplies and with nowhere near enough food to go around to fight for a revolution against the most powerful empire on the planet.

His tactics may have been mundane; but his leadership was legendary, plus he was 20 feet tall and made of radiation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7iVsdRbhnc
>>
>>29744142
So how else was the nation supposed to pay off the war time debt to other nations and investors? Have you actually ever taken a course on pre-civil war US history?
>>
>>29749491
this. motherfuckign this.
in the middle of winter most of the men had dysentery because all they had to to eat or drink was molasses to drink. they were all out of food and other provisions
Washington spent much of his own money at times supporting the war effort.
one night in camp he was on the verge of losing many volunteers and he had written a letter to try and convince them to remain, he gathered them in a tent and proceeded to read the letter, thinking it better to speak directly to them his words. in the middle of the reading he admitted that all the long years of his leadership responsibilities he had lost so much of his eyesight he could hardly read his own letter even with his reading glasses.
his delivery was reported to have been of such levity and deep sincere emotion that he brought himself nearly to tears and some of the men as well.
many of his men chose to stay because of this, seeing his own dedication and firm belief in the cause. even though they had no food, many of the men did not even have shoes in that cold harsh winter at camp.

Well that's what I think I read somewhere in an historical biography, something to that effect
>>
>>29750284
Well the continental army volunteers at least, since they couldn't be paid in government coin, they were "warranted" generous parcels of land in the new territories.
Part of the beginning ot the public land survey system and the disposal to the people of all the vast new lands we'd just acquired.
>>
>ITT

Not even Europeans can talk shit. Just suck Fat American Dick.
>>
>>29745016
>I AM A SOVEREIGN CITIZEN
>AM I BEING DETAINED
>AM I FREE TO GO
>is now the face of liberalism
>>
File: 709px-William-Tecumseh-Sherman.jpg (80 KB, 709x900) Image search: [Google]
709px-William-Tecumseh-Sherman.jpg
80 KB, 709x900
this thread is shit, burn it down
>>
>>29750284
Fuck the French monarchy. Back the republic. America should've exported Liberty around the world.

Should've supported the Haitians too.
>>
>>29744046
You don't get the name Devourer of Villages by being a pussy.
>>
>>29750723
I wonder what he'd think of that gold statue of himself in NYC.
>>
>>29750750
So we should have made our strained relations with France post war even worse?
>>
>>29749320
*Chuckling
>>
>>29744286
>SEAL pasta TL:DR version
>>
File: 1427443760851.jpg (125 KB, 1224x1445) Image search: [Google]
1427443760851.jpg
125 KB, 1224x1445
>>29744142
Goddammit anon, this is why we cant have nice things
>>
A good leader yes, Military mind, maybe... General? Not so much.
>>
>>29750785
There's a gilded statue of Sherman in NYC?

I mean, I admire the man's accomplishments and philosophy, but even on the winning side, is he the man you want to make iconography of?
>>
George was good at everything asside from actual combat. He had damn good logistics for what he could get and was a walking legend when it came to maintaining moral. His real saving grace were Green, Knox, and Putnam. Green specifically brought the most well drilled and organised militia in the country while Knox provided for the transportation of every single fucking cannon at ticonderoga to the siege of Boston in the dead of winter.
Up until New York the rebels were fucking invincible.
>>
>>29753409
Some people just want to immortalize some people that just want to watch the world burn.
>>
>>29744597

Wouldn't mind cuffing someone for using foul language in front of a lady, either.

Captcha: identify every river in the western hemisphere at least three times each.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.