[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did I damage my blade?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: webcam-toy-photo1.jpg (49 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
webcam-toy-photo1.jpg
49 KB, 800x600
Hey, /k/.

I just got this beautiful Damascus steel knife, but I'm pretty new to the upkeep and I sharpened it too much. I found out you're supposed to sharpen it with two strokes and I sharpened it 10 times on every part of my Lansky sharpening device.

Will I have damaged or taken much of the blades lifeline?
>>
It's going to take a lot more than that to damage a knife. What you've done is make it sharp. Congratulations. Now it can cut things again.
>>
>>29709515

Oh god! You have sharpened it too much! It might have even been in danger of getting sharp enough to use as more than pocket jewelry! God forbid!

KILL YOUR SELF YOU MASSIVE FAGGOT
>>
>>29709576
I got it for a camping and hiking expedition I'm going on soon. I know it's a little flashy but it was the best quality knife I found that conforms with the UK's specifications for legal carry. Killing myself now, with my broken butter knife.
>>
>>29709515
A knife can be sharpened thousands of times, it will wear the blade down and once you get to the that thicker part of the grind it will need to be thinned out but it will take years of extensive use to get to that point
>>
No you faggot.

Is it a sharp piece of steel?

Yes?

Good. That's what it's supposed to be
>>
>>29709515
That's not Damascus, the recipe for Damascus steel was lost, that is just a knife with steel that has a pattern. Not necessarily a shit blade, just not Damascus
>>
>>29710341
Oh...one of these faggots
>>
File: $_1.jpg (60 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
60 KB, 400x400
>>29709515
Unless it has a Big crack or something, dont worry, it's not a knife designed to Take a beating, so it will work just as usual
>>
>>29710346
He's not wrong. What people call Damascus steel is actually pattern welding. We don't know for sure what Damascus steel was.
>>
>>29710566
I didn't say he was wrong, he's just an asshole. Does he go around to every "Damascus" knife he sees and say that? Even though I can see him crouched over infront of display case after display case slowly walking down and saying over and over
>That's not Damascus, the recipe for Damascus steel was lost, that is just a knife with steel that has a pattern. Not necessarily a shit blade, just not Damascus

He doesn't. So why should he here? Because he's trying to seem smart, but he just comes off as a faggot asshole. It's an accepted fucking term, so shut the fuck up (not you, him...unless you are him)
>>
>>29710585
Nah, he's not me

I wasn't doing it to sound like a pompous asshole, I was just pointing something out

And no, I don't do that to every pattern welded knife I see
>>
>>29710585
Holy shit, anon. Why is your asshole so tender today?
>>
>>29710596
>pattern welded knife I see
See? Right there. That's why you're a fucking asshole. Say Damascus. It's an excepted term for "pattern welded". Fucking say it and quit being a smug prick, you fucking autistic asshole.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 664x520) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 664x520
>>29710614
Take a chill pill my man, the two are interchangeable, though one is technically wrong, kinda like how a lot of people on here have an autism-attack if you mix up clip and mag
>>
Lol, set course for autsimo raeg!
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 480x360
>>29710614
Fuck, son. Did you lose your favourite Stretch Armstrong at the food court recently?
>>
File: 1454519936355.jpg (22 KB, 351x351) Image search: [Google]
1454519936355.jpg
22 KB, 351x351
>>29710585
>>29710614
Dude... calm the fuck down
>>
>>29710585
this
>>
>>29710614
>defending using words wrong

Maybe its time to learn what wootz is, then kill yourself?

Just a thought.
>>
>>29710566
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Damascus Steel, is in fact, pattern welded steel, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, Damascus-style steel. Damascus steel is not produced anymore, but rather another style of steel used in knifemaking made useful by the layering process, variety of steel used, and etching process to give it that pretty pattern.
Many knife users use steel that has been pattern welded in some way every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of pattern welded steel that we see today is widely called "Damascus" by the people who use it. There really is a Damascus steel, and these people are using it, but it is just the style, far removed from the real thing.
Damascus is the style: the look that used to be ubiquitous with the quality of the blade makers of Damascus. The pattern is pretty and an important part of the blade, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a quality blade. Damascus steel was traditionally used in combination with pattern welding: the whole system is basically "pattern welded Damascus". All the so-called “Damascus” blades are really just pattern welded.
>>
>>29710824
Nice post fa/g/got, made me smile.
>>
>>29710341
>>That's not Damascus, the recipe for Damascus steel was lost

Actually, we know now that the presence of carbide-segregating elements such as vanadium and molybdenum creates Damascus steel
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.