[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
IN-CAR HANDGUN SAFES
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 10
File: Gunvault.jpg (242 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Gunvault.jpg
242 KB, 1200x1200
I'm buying a new car(subaru outback) I'd like to buy a safe to keep a handgun in the car, preferably near my emergency pack in the cargo compartment.

I prefer to draw and shoot left-handed.
and I'd like to keep a spare box of ammo for it in the safe as well.

what safes do you guys consider to be good for this?
how do these sort of things usually attach to the vehicle?
are they really all that secure?

also. we could talk about how you guys store your guns.
safes? cabinets? hidden compartments in things? under pillows or couch cushions?
>>
File: skip.gif (2 MB, 209x213) Image search: [Google]
skip.gif
2 MB, 209x213
>>29702012

>subaru

just wait til you have to service that shitty cvt 'transmission'
>>
>>29702069
bitch I'm getting a manual
>>
>>29702012
OP I have a serious question for you.

Have you Googled this subject yet?
>>
>>29702069
Manual is obviously superior.

But what specifically is wrong with CVT transmissions? I've only heard that they're shit, not why.
>>
>>29702069
Bigger problem with Subies are their garbage headgaskets. I had to replace mine stupidly early.
>>
>>29702138
briefly, however I find that I prefer more personal interactions with people who might actually know things that I wouldn't out of experience.

>>29702147
they lose a little bit of fuel economy and are complicated to repair (secondhand from a drunk ranting mechanic, possibly wrong.)

>>29702184
...why didn't I come here for car advice while picking my new car instead of /o/...

aside from the head gaskets do the cars themselves last as long as people keep telling me(indefinitely, with reasonable maintenance)?
>>
>>29702210
>aside from the head gaskets do the cars themselves last as long as people keep telling me(indefinitely, with reasonable maintenance)?
Oh yeah, the headgaskets are really the only bad maintenance issue I've had. Just keep up with normal maintenance and inspections and it'll last you forever. My '08 legacy has close to 275k miles on it and still runs great.
>>
>>29702235
ah, good.
>>
>>29702210
>just looking for personal interactions so makes a thread

I guess that's fair. If you'd prefer to draw and shoot left handed then you may not actually want to store your handgun in the trunk. But if you're sure that you do, then a safe that can be bolted down is what you want.

If not then there are other options for storing a handgun in the driver/passenger area.

You'll need to distinguish which you're going for, if you haven't already.
>>
>>29702266
well, that gun is going to be if I need to use my emergency pack(like a bug-out bag, but for things like getting stranded in the middle of noplace, or for spur of the moment overnight trips, etc.), or if I'm spending the night away from home and need to store my gun/cash/valuables I'll be using the same safe I get.

if I'm going to be carrying for myself, THAT gun is going to be up in the front.

data on either type of safe is what I'm looking for here.
>>
>>29702235
>>29702254
The upshot to the head gaskets popping early is that most good mechanics will do a lot of "while we were there" maintenance work at the same time like checking/replacing related engine components like timing belts, valve covers, the clutch, etc.

It's an annoying, expensive fix that happens abnormally early with Subarus, but ends up extending the life of the car in the long run.
>>
>>29702322
In that case, if I were you I would go with something like this:
http://www.gunvault.com/mv500-std-microvault.html

Here is an "article" with 2 more options.
http://www.mrcolionnoir.com/right-to-carry/why-i-dont-keep-a-gun-in-my-car-anymore/

I don't have personal experience with gun safes in the car, I just lock mine in the glove compartment, which isn't a good idea. But the more I look into your options, the more it looks like a pretty simple purchasing situation. I would go for something that will stay in the car if someone steals it, meaning "no weak cable locks." If that is or becomes a worry point for you then you can simply buy a much thicker cable from any motorcycle gear store.
>>
>>29702505
...they all seem a bit small, if I could get something about 1.5x the size across all three dimensions would be best.

I want to bolt one down on the cargo-space someplace if possible, but these "loose" safes might do the trick.
>>
File: 1449422723013.jpg (116 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
1449422723013.jpg
116 KB, 1280x1280
>I'm buying a new car(subaru outback) I'd like to buy a safe to keep a handgun in the car, preferably near my emergency pack in the cargo compartment.
>what safes do you guys consider to be good for this?

OP, it's called a holster. They often look like this (pic) and you get to carry it on your person at all times.

Unfortunately, there's some drawbacks to this. You won't ever get your gun stolen from you which seems like something you want to happen.
>>
I use a "gun bunker". It's low profile enough to slide under the drivers seat and store one gun. The cable goes around the seat bracket. Made out of 14 ga. sheet metal I believe. Spring loaded door with a weird dimpled key lock. Probably wouldn't stop someone with serious tools, but would do fine against the smash and grab threat.
>>
>>29702732
...the only holster I own, that didn't wear out makes me look like I took a great big dump in my pants.

>>29702753
I might go out looking for something like that.
>>
>>29702732
you know a lot of workplaces and schools don't allow ccw, right? I'd agree on your person would be the safest, but sometimes you do have to just leave your weapon in your car.
>>
>>29702766
>...the only holster I own, that didn't wear out makes me look like I took a great big dump in my pants.

So buy a better holster? What kind of gun do you have? I'm willing to bet you didn't even bother with buying a sturdy gunbelt.
>>
File: 1459860540370.jpg (29 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1459860540370.jpg
29 KB, 320x320
>>29702776
>you know a lot of workplaces and schools don't allow ccw, right?
>workplaces
>schools

and your point is? You don't work at a federal building or a post office you faggot.
>>
>>29702766
I recommend it. I was in the same boat and shopped around for awhile. A lot of the other safes on the market are 16 ga. and higher, which wouldn't stop shit. I found the thickest safe I could and bought it. About $130 but worth it.
>>
>>29702778
>I'm willing to bet you didn't even bother with buying a sturdy gunbelt.
honestly, no. I let a gunshow dealer swindle me for a clip on...

I have the CCL and open carry is legal where I live now, so I really should be getting a new holster...

>>29702790
or a bar, or (which applies to me) the oil industry.

those places either disallow or are not legal locations for weapon carry...
>>
>>29702819
What kind of gun do you have?
>>
>>29702790
My point is:
Carry at a workplace that doesn't allow it = fired
Carry at a school that doesn't allow it = suspended/expelled
Not all of us are neets douche.
>>
>>29702819
A good gun belt will still improve a clip-on holster. Bullhide belts make them.
>>
File: 1446736126006.jpg (18 KB, 311x357) Image search: [Google]
1446736126006.jpg
18 KB, 311x357
>>29702845
>b-b-but they won't let me carry!!1

Are you some kind of faggot?
>ruger lcp custom
>desantis holster
>keep it in your pocket and don't talk about it period

I understand school because you may be expelled and the one you go to may do some bullshit random patdowns since you type like a nigger not carrying at your dead end shit job? Typical subie owner.
>>
>>29702830
S&W M&P 40c

>>29702866
will the do anything to hide the dump-in-pants factor?
>>
>>29702924
>M&P40c

Kydex appendix holster and a good belt like an ares. It's doable.

Really depends on how big you are and what you typically wear on a daily basis. You can easily get away with it if you live somewhere where jackets and sweaters are the norm. Appendix carry gives you fast access to a gun whether you're standing or sitting down inside a car and helps conceal the gun better than any other method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1ddVlhpzmE

This guy carries an m&p9c appendix
>>
>>29702753
one more thing, the gun bunker is able to be bolted down as well. There are holes drilled in the bottom if you choose to.
>>29702902
Don't be a dense fucking fag. Assuming your fatass isn't seated in a chair for 8 hours, someone will eventually notice. Is it gay as fuck that people would care? Yes. Is it worth losing your job over? No.
>>29702924
The dump-in pants thing sounds like a holster problem.
>>
File: 1433208343233.jpg (21 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1433208343233.jpg
21 KB, 800x600
>>29702967
>Is it worth losing your job over? No.

So you're saying sucking your boss's cock and making money for him is worth more than your life? Ok guy.
>>
>>29702967
>The dump-in pants thing sounds like a holster problem.
It probably is.

>>29702955
I wear a vest everywhere, yes I look dumb in lots of locations/contexts. but I can get away with it.

however, jackets are not common in my area. nor are temperatures below 70 degrees.
>>
>>29703025
> Needing to make money and pay the bills because you support yourself and others = sucking boss's cock
Yeah ok pal. Aren't you a little early to be summerfagging already?
>>
>>29703038
You should be good. A good rigid gunbelt will keep your gun oriented in the same spot you set it on and a good kydex holster will do the same and won't make your gun snag on to anything and kill you.
>>
File: 1448160526519.jpg (59 KB, 522x583) Image search: [Google]
1448160526519.jpg
59 KB, 522x583
>>29703099
Why is this even a problem? You're not taking your pants off when you're sucking off your boss, he is.

Keep making excuses as to why you shouldn't carry, you cuck. You probably get heat flashes from the thought of chambering a round anywhere outside of a shooting range.
>>
>>29702184
That's only the ej25 engine. They were the base engines in most subarus from 96 to 04. Any new/old/2.0 liter/6 cylinder ones won't have that problem
>>
>>29703181
>8-5 jobs are all dick sucking
>implying that all jobs aren't dick sucking
I don't get this meme at all.
>>
>>29703181
Hah you're blindingly retarded. Maybe one day when you're out of high school, you might wake the fuck up and see what real life is. And if you do end up keeping that attitude, well, enjoy being a faggot fucking neet and staying a virgin forever because you won't compromise and get a job.
>You probably get heat flashes from the thought of chambering a round anywhere outside of a shooting range.
I carry my pistol chambered and cocked everywhere else. Get fucked.
>>
>>29705405
I like to be armed for ever minute I'm outside my house.

Oh I'm sorry, the world is a peaceful european utopia where everyone is frandly and nobody is violent :-)

I genuinely apologize for angering you, sorry about being so blind about this very tranquil world :-)
>>
>>29705559
>I like to be armed for ever minute I'm outside my house.
As do I, but I can't 100% of the time.
Also, no reason to regress and apologize as a classic cuckold would.
>>
>>29702069
>constant variable transmission transmission
End yourself
>>
>>29702012
why theres a braile in that safe in OP's pic? why would a blind person would get a gun?
>>
>>29709437
its so you can identify the buttons in the dark and enter the code without seeing the actual box...
>>
>>29702184
I thought they somewhat fixed the headgasket problem on the newer engines.
>>
>>29702012
What state are you in?

>what safes do you guys consider to be good for this?
There is no safe that's good for this, because it's a terrible idea.
>how do these sort of things usually attach to the vehicle?
Like literally everything else in a vehicle, bolts.
>are they really all that secure?
See that tubular lock? Anything with a tubular lock is 100% garbage.

>OP wants a trunk gun
Okay, for what purpose?
>personal safety and self defense
Carry on your person, or not at all.
>survival gun
Ruger 10/22, a couple mags, and 30 cal can full of 22LR
>go to war gun
AR pistol, AK pistol, AK underfolder, AK sidefolder
223 > 545 > 762 > 308 > 54R

Handguns are for -CARRY-

I do have a shitty truck safe, but I'm not retarded so I only use it for going into the post office or county office.
>Don't be a dense fucking fag. Assuming your fatass isn't seated in a chair for 8 hours, someone will eventually notice.
No, no they won't. Concealed means concealed, especially if you appendix carry a single stack 9mm.
>>
>>29710847
>What state are you in?
Texas

and I also want it for keeping other small things secure inside my vehicle. like a handgun I cannot carry wherever I happen to be. or a couple bundles of emergency cash.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1461432130050.jpg (31 KB, 480x474) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1461432130050.jpg
31 KB, 480x474
Anyone prefer this ?
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.