[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why wasn't the revolver mechanism used for long guns when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: SEND LAWYERS GUNS AN MONAY.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
SEND LAWYERS GUNS AN MONAY.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1600
Why wasn't the revolver mechanism used for long guns when it was so successful for handguns?

I'm not trying to start one of those "hurr durr I know better than Colt/the DoD/whatever" threads, but I am kinda curious as to how this came to be.

Cheers /k/ameraden.
>>
>>29583194
>Why wasn't the revolver mechanism used for long guns when it was so successful for handguns?
Cylinder gap
>>
>>29583194
Cylinder gap, it'd burn the fuck out of your forearm.
>>
File: russian shotgun wheelgat.jpg (78 KB, 800x258) Image search: [Google]
russian shotgun wheelgat.jpg
78 KB, 800x258
I think it was but the ATF didn't like it or something.
>>
File: image.jpg (259 KB, 1616x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
259 KB, 1616x1080
>>29583242
What does the fucking ATF like besides shooting dogs and telling us we can't own metal?
Fuck those dick ticks.
>>
>>29583242
You're completely wrong. The only thing that is banned about revolvig long guns is that revolving shotguns cannot be imported thanks to the street sweeper.
>>
They did, but because of cylinder gap you couldn't keep as much pressure in the chamber, which is important for distance shooting.

Same reason pump action rifles never were in big demand but bolt actions were. Whereas for shotguns, distance isn't much of a priority and a faster reload is, so pump shotties are ubiquitous and bolt actions are rare.
>>
>>29583273
kill fun
>>
>>29583289
I have a bolt 20 gauge, it came from the sears catalogue in the mid 60's
>>
>>29583194
The cylinder gap would spray burning powder onto your forearm. There was also the problem of a chain fire, if one happened all the bullets would go straight into your hand.
>>
>>29583194
Theres some bad info here. But the people mentioning cylinder gap is right. They tried it around the civil war but chain fires happened. By the time that was figured out bolt action was around then semi auto. Also the street sweaper was banned and imports of such weapons were banned. Thats why the 28 guage judge was never put into produxtion i believe.
>>
Another reason why revolver rifles were never a thing because the Henry Repeater was released before cartridges were widespread. The 14 rounds of the lever gun far out gunned a six shot weapon.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.