[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Carbine & Scout Rifles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 12
File: carbine_and_scout_general_1.jpg (62 KB, 660x337) Image search: [Google]
carbine_and_scout_general_1.jpg
62 KB, 660x337
Hi guys! I've made a few attempts at getting scout rifle threads in the past but I recently noticed two things:

> The community often does not have a thread for carbines even though they are often mentioned in other threads.

> Our Scout Rifle community seems to be small.

Because of this I decided to try combining them together. Welcome to Carbine & Scout General ( C&SG1 )! I have no doubt most of us know what Carbines are but for those unfamiliar with Scout Rifles I'd recommend seeing the short article at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_rifle to learn about them.
>>
>>29568826
I'll go first.

Does anyone make a scout rifle in 45-70? I've been super curious.
>>
>>29568871
That would be cool but not that I know of. My advice would be to e-mail companies producing Scout rifles to ask. I just filed a ticket with Savage about one of their Scout rifles and one of the "related questions" that popped up was in regards to whether or not they can make a rifle in a caliber they don't normally do.
>>
>>29568895
I've honestly thought as far as taking a preexisting rifle, and rechambering it and modifying it to be a proper scout rifle in 45-70
>>
Great thread OP. I've been looking into a starting scout rifle for a while and my personal opinion is that the Mossberg MVP is the best starter.
>Detachable Mags
>replaceable butt stock
>rail mount
>iron sights

Plus having the two most commonly used calibers is always good.
>>
What guns are available or make a good base?

So far I've found:
Savage Hog Hunter and Scout
Ruger Gunssight Scout
Steyr Scout
Mossberg MVP Patrol
>>
>>29568871
Marlin Guide Gun.
>>
>>29569132
Go handle one. They are shit. Do either the savage or ruger.
>>
File: 27y4euu.jpg (33 KB, 714x519) Image search: [Google]
27y4euu.jpg
33 KB, 714x519
Too bad a lot of people think that the scout rifle concept was just some rigid set or rules as opposed to an idea of flexibility. I think people failing to realize that it was making the best of the times really throws a lot of folks.
>>
This does not need to be a "general" thread retard
>>
File: 1.jpg (28 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
28 KB, 500x370
Not everything needs a fucking general you autist
Its the cancer of the board
>>
Muh dmr
>>
File: 20121114_163243_HDR.jpg (560 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
20121114_163243_HDR.jpg
560 KB, 1024x768
>>29569739
Nigga I recommended it >>29569438.

Would be noice with a big can too, slaying pigs at dawn/dusk would be so much more fun with one.
>>
File: tmp_29629-100_3721-1043757898.jpg (69 KB, 480x328) Image search: [Google]
tmp_29629-100_3721-1043757898.jpg
69 KB, 480x328
>>29569792
That why I posted that one and not this one. Not like it was an argument. I think the intended use gives a lot more leverage than the whole bolt action, box mag LER scope. But once you move out of that it really does open up a bit much I guess.

Hmmm guess my phone is eating pics again..
>>
>>29569755
>>29569781
Cancer complaining about cancer.
>>
File: joebiden.png (119 KB, 480x375) Image search: [Google]
joebiden.png
119 KB, 480x375
>>29569781

the more generals the better, keeps topics contained and discussion relatively focused, you can get legit info from people who know what they're talking about.

I've gotten a lot out of /akg/ and surprisingly /arg/

it also typically keeps faggots like you in the b8 threads or shitposting about why (insert gun/caliber here) sucks/is the best ever
>>
>>29570063
>the more generals the better

Lol
>>
File: hownottoshitpost.jpg (46 KB, 500x324) Image search: [Google]
hownottoshitpost.jpg
46 KB, 500x324
>>29570076

eloquent retort
>>
File: image.jpg (102 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102 KB, 960x720
What's a good M14 scout mount?
>Tfw Scout Industries hasn't made the SVT mount yet so I can Scout out this sexy beast
>>
>>29569739
seriously
>MUST be .308!!!1
>MUST be this exact weight 1!!
>Semis just ain't reliable! Same for lever-actions!
>Muh stripper clips!!
>>
File: image.jpg (366 KB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
366 KB, 2000x1500
>>29568826
I have one. I like it. Shoots sub-MOA at 100 yards with that 150gr gx-whatever Hornady stuff.
>>
>>29569755
>>29569781
>>29570076

I guess the only threads we need are "9mm vs 45" and katanas or some shit.

I've been fascinated by the Ruger Gunsight Scout since my lgs picked one up. It feels nice, and I could use a.308 "beater" to add to the family. Anyone have experience with one?
>>
>>29570133
One thing I appreciate about the original scout concept is that it's an innocuous looking weapon. There aren't many (good) affordable semiautos that fit that bill.

If only the Mini-30 weren't shit, and the M1A weren't overpriced for what it is.

>>29570153
That's a pricey beater.
>>
>>29570153
You can have a thread devoted to discussing a topic but general infini-threads are fucking chat room circlejerks
Look at /arg/ and whatever milsurp general is
The only one that I agree should be a thing is /meg/ because the same question (whatMOSlolguise) gets asked too often
>>
>>29570203

the generals arent all circlejerk, there are plenty of anons who show up and ask how do i into the topic of the general

its also a lot of people who regularly post in that general shooting the shit with each other, which is better than people all calling eachother autistic faggots and reeeee-ing out because someone disagrees with them
>>
>>29569739
That's a sweet looking setup.
Almost comfy to a certain degree if you pair with some innawoods gear.
>>
>>29570181
It helps that it's used. And I take care of even my most lowly guns, so having a truck gun like that would be really nice for me.

>>29570203
>nobody's called someone else a faggot yet, so this thread must be shit.

Shitpost more.
>>
File: springfield_m1a_scout_squad.jpg (65 KB, 2100x436) Image search: [Google]
springfield_m1a_scout_squad.jpg
65 KB, 2100x436
>>29569132
Thanks; so far it seems to be a success. I'm glad I thought of merging the carbine and scout rifle communities and if this thread lasts to 300 posts I'll make a 2nd edition.

>>29569132
>>29569373
Right now I'm stuck thinking two things: Buy the Mossberg MVP Scout ( Not Patrol, they actually make an MVP Scout now ) or Savage Scout and practice on my own or save up until I have enough money to take a class at the Gunsite Academy and buy a Ruger Gunsite Scout ( RGS ). Part of me really wants to wait because I feel buying the RGS and then going on "vacation" to learn to use the rifle their way would make a surprisingly nice vacation and I'd get to meet others interested in firearms as well.

>>29569739
I personally think Pic Related is a great step in the evolution of the Scout Rifle. It is a bit heavy but it seems to be built/preform well.

>>29569781
If you don't like it why come in here and post? I made this thread to try to bring some of the /k/ community together. The two types of guns ( Carbines and Scout Rifles ) featured on this thread are guns often mentioned over /k/ but don't seem to survive if they get their own board. By combining the two communities like this I preserved one space in the catalog for another worthwhile topic instead of hurting the catalog by bumping two topics for two new topics that wouldn't last long by themselves.

So, what do you guys think of Inland Manufacturing producing replica WWII Carbine firearms ( with slight improvements to accuracy ) and are there any other companies producing decent replicas under $1000.00 today?
>>
File: 20151127_102315-1.jpg (776 KB, 2381x2100) Image search: [Google]
20151127_102315-1.jpg
776 KB, 2381x2100
>>29569132
Rattling mags are great

Buy a howa mini action
>>
Thinking of buying an SKS and setting it up like a scout rifle. Is $400.00 a decent price for a recently uncrated Yugoslavian SKS? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1mfe8P65HE
>>
>>29569480
I own a hog hunter and my step-dad owns the mvp patrol. I can say with conviction that the mossberg has better factory sights and stock.

savage gets the edge for barrel length and profile and maybe trigger but the mvp's trigger is adequate for what you are paying.
>>
>seeing the Mossberg MVP get so much love
I love it, it was my first gun and rifle, I only have the Varmint in 5.56, not the .308 version.
>>
>>29570986
>>29574224
>Mossberg MVP Scout ( Not Patrol, they actually make an MVP Scout now )

Have they fixed the mag wobble and feeding issues with the new model? If they have, it'll definitely be my top choice for a scout rifle. If the Savage didn't have proprietary mags I probably would have picked that, but affordable mags are a huge benefit.
>>
>>29574244
and higher capacity too
>>
>>29574244
Well this is the first time I've heard of the Scout version. It looks neato and if you have the cash go for it, I personally don't feel like I need another Mossy MVP right now.
>>
>Scout rifle
>"All around gun"

Hunters use glass mounted close to the shooters eye because it has a better field of view, is clearer and brighter to the shooter and allows you to observe your quarry in detail in the moments leading up to the shot. This has enormous value for confirming species, sex, presence of other unseen animals, age class and other factors influencing your desire to harvest/legality. Military and police sharpshooters use glass that's close to the shooters eye for the same capabilities, although their targets are obviously different. Competition shooters that value speed of acquisition use glass that's close to the eye because a reticle is easier to pick up in a bigger, bolder image, and great glass of all magnification ranges has never been cheaper or more widely available.

To recap

>LER scope worse for hunting
>LER scope worse for long range/tactical shooting
>LER scope worse for speed shooting
>Who the fuck is a "scout" and why do they like their rifles to be functionally worse
>>
Is there any rifle that comes with good iron sights, flash suppressor and takes ar10 mags?
>>
>>29575385
I like the concept of a scout rifle but scrap the LER scope. It can be a fluid concept.
>>
so you guys are going to post the same 7 pictures and the same scout rifle criteria every single day in every new scout general thread. oh good thank you for your service.

please continue though scout rifles are cool
>>
>>29575606

So, any sporter bolt gun in .308, .30-06, .270, maybe with iron sights? Which is like every damn one made pre 90's.
>>
>>29575799
they are coming back with the "scout" rifle craze, savage, ruger, remington, and mossberg make good candidates, but a lot of them have those gay forward scope mounts. You just need to buy a regular scope mount though

my personal vision of a scout rifle is a fairly lightweight bolt action in a full power cartridge that has irons, a nice barrel profile (medium bull is pretty good)
>>
>>29576861
Mossberg MVP then
it's got irons (not as good as the scout's ghost ring, but whatever) and a traditional scope mounting
or just get the patrol and mount your scope over the action and have some unused rail space
>>
do you mean carbine in terms of barrel length? are you specifically referring to manual action carbines?
>>
>>29575385
mate you dont have to worry about glassing yourself when shooting a light rifle in a big caliber while taking a quick off hand shot. the point of the scout scope is that its light as fuck and more accurate than irons with easy both eyes open shooting.
>>
Alright, so I've started to gather parts for my remington 700 scout rifle build in 308. So far I have the reciever, and I've decided to get a bell and carlson stock. My question is, what barrel profile is best for a scout rifle? And how do I mount the scope to the barrel? And is the barrel scope mount setup sturdy?
>>
>>29579700
you can do the same thing with a scope mounted over the bolt if is at low magnification.

LER makes for fucky balance and shit field of view. gee that will help target acquisition.

>>29579912
just put a light scope on it. I think leupold makes a scope "for AR15s" but it's fine for .308, it's like 14 oz in 3x9.

long eye relief has no place on a modern scout rifle
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.