[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Detachable Magazines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3
File: bolt-action-magazine.jpg (25 KB, 504x446) Image search: [Google]
bolt-action-magazine.jpg
25 KB, 504x446
Are detachable magazines a meme on bolt action rifles?

We all know what's good about detachable magazines, but when I really sit down and think about how I use my bolt guns, I wonder if they are necessary or just a convenience.

Anything I'd really need more than one magazine for I'd probably want a semi auto any way. The only thing I can think of would be those practical precision matches which might involve starting from an empty mag and/or engaging many targets in a single stage. Having a fixed magazine would certainly have a huge impact on your times.

but for hunting, plinking, or even innawoods shit, it seems plenty practical to have a fixed magazine and a sidearm for when shit goes sideways.

Carrying loose rounds in some kind of pouch or carrier would cut down on weight compared to the same amount of rounds in metal or even polymer magazines.

this is a thinly veiled question about what aftermarket stock/chassis I should get for my savage hog hunter.
>>
>>29567405
Anytime anyone asks "is ___ a meme?" I pretty much stop reading right there, this shit needs to die.
>>
Detachable magazines aren't necessary for anything except actual combat. You don't want a bolt action rifle for combat, you want a semi-automatic.
>>
Most states do not allow loaded long guns in vehicles. If you are hunting you can keep a magazine loaded and be able to load up quicker if you spot a deer while you're still in the truck.
>>
>>29567426
is saying "this shit needs to die" a meme?
>>
>>29567429
This, war time aside you basicly will never come into a situation where you have to reload a gun quickly
>>
>>29567448

You're a meme and you need to die.
>>
they're more convenient to load when the top is blocked by a scope.
>>
>>29567817
This.
>>
>>29567405
>implying anyone's opinion on detachable magazines will matter in a SHTF scenario.
>>
>>29567405

Depends. Some high caliber dangerous game rifles can hold just 3 rounds with standard mags.

Personally I'd never go below 5. This is where detachable mags become useful.
>>
File: 1459817353148.jpg (19 KB, 429x420) Image search: [Google]
1459817353148.jpg
19 KB, 429x420
I love my dbm bolt gun.

With a single piece scope rail and large scope poking rounds into a fixed magazine kind of sucks.

The dbm works great. I can pre load my magazines. It feeds great.

And gets my dick hard just like Judy Hops
>>
>>29568015
Please tell me which DGRs have detachable mags.
>>
>>29567405

Most hunting rifles have detachable 5 round magazines. It makes it a little easier to load.
>>
>>29567426
It's essentially turned into "if I don't like it it's a meme?" Or "if I do this will people on /k/ make fun of me?"
>>
File: 1457815487056.gif (3 MB, 400x286) Image search: [Google]
1457815487056.gif
3 MB, 400x286
>>29567405

>>29568249
>worrying what people on 4chan think of you

You're gonna have a hard time...

>protip: this is what people on 4chan think.
>>
>>29568285
I'm just deciding whether to get a bell and carlson stock or a chassis for my hog hunter.

the bell and carlson would need new bottom metals and need to be cut if I wanted magazines
the chassis is roughly the same cost as getting a stock and bottom metal and having the stock cut

I can always get the bell and carlson stock and install mags later on
>>
>>29567405
Looks like a Mossberg mvp. I have one and I like it. Came with one 10 rd mag and can accept AR salt clips.
>>
>>29567405
>Are detachable magazines a meme on bolt action rifles?
What the fuck does that even mean?

Also, I'd prefer to the ability to load with stripper clips to keep the gun trim, but whatever. Just because they aren't high capacity or semi-auto doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to reload rapidly.
>>
>>29568324
No one makes stripper clips in 300rum
>>
>>29568212

Almost all German and Japanese ones.
>>
>>29568324
>m-muh m-milsurp
>keeping my 9lb nugget trim

Shut up retard
>>
>>29567405
>Is X a Meme?
Shut the fuck up and never post again. These are the dumbest fucking threads. You don't know what meme means and you don't shit about anything else either.
>>
>>29569411
You're the only one talking about either of those things, you dumb motherfucker
>>
>>29567405
>meme

I wish /b/tards would remain on /b/ and not shit up /k/ with their stupidity.
>>
>>29569563
Show me the stripper clip guides on your remingshit 700
>>
>>29568312
I am in the same boat - debating on traditional wood stock vs a chassis for my hog hunter.

One downside I have heard for detachable mags is that there is a chance the magazine will drop from accidentally bumping the mag release while humping through the brush and wildnerness.
>>
>>29567794
>never come into a situation where
>have to
>quickly

but its not like you will ever have a need for owning an ak or an AR

its not about need. never has been.

yes the detachable magazines are nice. on any rifle/handgun/shotgun.

no you dont NEED them for much but they do make reloading much faster and make shooting just a bit more fun.
>>
>>29570639
>make reloading much faster
reloading with mags is only faster if you have multiple magazines
which means you have to buy and carry multiple magazines
>>
>>29567444
Doesn't loaded mean one in the chamber?
>>
>>29567405

What are all these huge drawbacks that you see on a gun with detachable magazines?

Falling out while walking in the woods?
I gues the miltary should go back to stack then since magazines just fly out of the guns left right and center.
>>
>>29571566

of topic here but I couldn't post at first because I was apperently banned for 30 sec or whatever because of a post on /v/ (never been to) in feb 2014.

Are the mods drunk or are they banning wrong IPs from fucking 2014 now?
>>
>>29567405
Fuck yourself and die for the "meme" bit.

That said, on a day to day basis there's no point in it. The only way bolt actions are used today are hunting, precision shooting, and innawoods fuckery, neither of which benefit from the faster reload.

In a still realistic, but specific example, if you were walking around the woods trying to bag as many varmints while carrying as little as possible, it might be beneficial to have a deeper mag and not worry about loose rounds in your pockets.

In a fanciful autistic fantasy of shtf, the benefit would be if you had a bolt rifle and a salt rifle that both accepted the same magazine it would be marginally safer in keeping your bolt action feeding reliably in that if you have a follower or spring problem you just grab another magazine instead of having to find the right follower and spring for that particular rifle.

Still fucking stupid though.

>>29568324
only has nugget confirmed

poorfags like you always forget that there are more guns in the world than just nuggets, that are far nicer than your piece of shit- plus usually have scopes blocking the breech, let alone the lack of clip guides you neckbeard fuck
>>
>>29570687
god forbid you buy more than one mag and carry it you retard.
>>
>>29567405
Better for balance purposes than tube magazines and it's just more convenient. Less time spent reloading is more time spent shooting.
>>
There is no downside to detachable magazines.

When you go shooting, you probably only have a couple hours you can spend. The longer it takes for you to load your rifle, the less time you can shoot, which means you need more range days in order to master your shooting discipline.

If you don't care about how efficient your shooting sessions are, then there's still no downside to detachable magazines. On any good bolt action rifle with a detachable magazine you can still load cartridges from the top if you choose. You lose no functionality by having that feature.

I can understand not caring about the feature, but refusing to get a rifle with that feature is purposeless.
>>
a
>>
>>29571598
If you're on a phone, you might have been issued a banned ip this session.
>>
>>29571802
>In a fanciful autistic fantasy of shtf, the benefit would be if you had a bolt rifle and a salt rifle that both accepted the same magazine it would be marginally safer in keeping your bolt action feeding reliably in that if you have a follower or spring problem you just grab another magazine instead of having to find the right follower and spring for that particular rifle.
the benefit of a manually operated gun vs a semi auto is the manual gun will take whatever pile of shit ammo you have regardless of condition or quality
meanwhile a semi will jam with that same shitty mix of ammo
>>
>>29570687
>spend $900+ dollars on a bolt gun
>couple hundred on an optic
>another ~$100 for practice ammo in whatever special snowflake remchesterby magnum ammo it's chambered in
>an extra fifty bucks for extra mags is going too far though, don't be crazy
>>
>>29567405
It's just another option I guess and there's nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>29567817
this
unless you have a scout scope, you can't even load from stripper clips
>>
>>29572110
its not the money part thats a big deal its the carrying of extra mags during hunting part
loose rounds are lighter than an extra mag
>>
No major advantages but some nice options detachables provide:

>can have varying capacity
>can more easily switch between ammo types
>easier to load if you have an optic
>don't have to rack the bolt to get rounds out
>>
>>29572170
What's to stop you from carrying those extra rounds loose anyways? More likely than not you can still load from the top without ever removing the box mag.
>>
>>29571598
>doesn't know what a dynamic IP is
>>
>>29570723

Depends on where you are, really.

Some (US) states "loaded" means having the ammo and weapon in the same container.
>>
>>29571566
the drawbacks are increased cost to get the gun I have now to take them. the only other thing would be carrying multiple magazines add a bit of weight but that's not that big a deal
>>
Does the hog hunter use the closer together action screws? My 12FV is different than the 10t my friend has so I don't think I can use his accustock when he gets something better...
>>
>>29572578
4.41 inches
>>
>>29572066
This isn't a manual vs semi auto debate you retarded fuck
>>
>>29567405
Dude, OP, did you expect anyone to take you seriously?
>>
>>29574318
I've had plenty of answers to my question and plenty of bites on my bait. Its a pretty successful thread if I say so myself
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.