[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it legal to shoot down planes that fly through somebodies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 245x205) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 245x205
Is it legal to shoot down planes that fly through somebodies personal airspace? Do stand your ground laws apply to this?
>>
>they will never bring back large caliber AAA

~____~
>>
>>29566653
I remember some hicks shot down small drones with cameras flying over their property and they were completely legal in doing so.
>>
>>29566653

If you own a large enough property and are sure that your rounds are not going to endanger someone else, yeah.
>>
>>29566653
Isn't there some kind of regulation from your faa that say you/were the owner of somme undred of meter of airspace above your house?

I believe i read it in a newspaper about that guy.>>29566721
>>
>In the United States, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has the sole authority to control all public airspace, exclusively determining the rules and requirements for its use. Public air space is classified as the 'navigable' airspace 500 feet AGL (Above Ground Level).

>Specifically, the Federal Aviation Act provides that: "The United States Government has exclusive sovereignty of airspace of the United States." The act defines navigable airspace as "airspace above the minimum altitudes of flight…including airspace needed to ensure the safety in the takeoff and landing of aircraft."
>>
>>29566653
>personal airspace
>implying you have any
>>
>>29566669
Velocity > shell size

> 35mm hyper velocity sabot ETC boosted EM auto cannons filling the sky up too 100km altitude with death.

>mix in lasers & missiles

Airforces become obsolete except for stealthy low altitude strike craft.
>>
>>29566852
See
>>29566846

It's yours until you hit 500' AGL.
>>
>>29566892
>plane flies below 500'
Can you legally shoot it down if it's a threat?
>>
>>29566922
Not sure how you will ascertain that it is a threat.

But if you had a 100% reason to shoot it down, and others (your jury of peers / judges) also saw the reason as being legitimate, then yeah, you'd be perfectly fine with shooting it down.
>>
>>29566922
>>29566960
Though, if it's at 501' AGL, then it's FAA & USAF territory.
>>
>>29566886
that gave me a boner
>>
>>29566960
>plane is flying towards my house 50' above the ground
>if it hits my house it might hurt me and my family
>I can shoot it down with my deck gun (have a tax stamp) and kill the plane's 600 passengers instead
>>
>>29566653
If only we had the balls to fully enforce our 2nd Amendment so we could own private AEGIS systems with advanced Patriot batteries and CIWS...for extended home defense.
>>
>>29567000
If a passenger jet is flying that low its probably in the process of crashing anyways.
>>
>>29567012
Or landing
>>
>>29566653
You do not have the same property rights to airspace above your property (which only extends to 500ftAGL IIRC) as you have on the land itself. There are significant legal distinctions there. There is literally no situation when you can unequivocally shoot down a drone or aircraft above your property unless it is actively posing an imminent threat to the safety of yourself, your family or your property.

>>29566721
>I remember some hicks shot down small drones with cameras flying over their property and they were completely legal in doing so.
This isn't accurate. The FAA has not yet issued regulations to definitively govern these situations, and that "hick" and the several others like him which have cropped up over the last 18 months have either settled out of court or their cases are still ongoing. While there were no criminal charges brought, all those civil cases will still establish a legal precedent in the absence of FAA regulations.
>>
>>29566922
In Canada's airspace, any aircraft is banned from flying over "blasting zones" at mines.

You could have a A380 flying about, and get foogassed by some cantankerous miners, and the Transport Canada Aviation Department would lay the blame on the pilots / airline.

The average Canadian though couldn't do that.
>>
Yeah this >>29567023. Some outsourced poo-in-loo architect placed the runway right next to my house. If I don't shoot the plane down, everyone will live. If I do, they die.
>>
>>29567023
Then you have some shitty real estate...

And if it's near an airport, the FAA zone around it might be lower than the 500' AGL.
>>
>>29567006
>China decides to invade
>Ching chong we drop in 30
>gets shot out of the sky by bob down the street for flying above his home
>>
>>29567042
Don't forget said Chicoms getting nuked by American civilian owned ICBMs for "continental castle doctrine".

If only the 2nd Amendment was truly unbound irllike it was supposed to be.
>>
>>29566922
>Can you legally shoot it down if it's a threat?
You better be goddamn sure. If a legally defined aircraft (read: not currently civilian drones and suchlike but piloted aircraft) is downed by you, there WILL be a federal investigation involving several agencies, they WILL turn your shit inside out, and your life WILL be miserable for up to years while the mess is sorted out. It is definitely nothing to fuck around with.

>>29566960
>But if you had a 100% reason to shoot it down, and others (your jury of peers / judges) also saw the reason as being legitimate, then yeah, you'd be perfectly fine with shooting it down.
Unfortunately, with certain provisions of the Patriot Acts, firing upon an FAA defined aircraft would often NOT mean a jury of your peers. If they (any one of several Federal agencies) determine that it was a terrorist act, or even SUSPECT IT, rendition, extra-judicial detention, any one of a dozen other unpleasant things are on the table. And all you can do at that point is enjoy the ride. You don't even have free access to legal representation.
>>
>>29567042
LAND

OF

THE

FRWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>29567034
What's the next step in your master plan?
>>
Hey guys, what about Recreational nukes?
>>
>>29567094
Ux4
>>
>>29567107
>skeet nuking
>>
>>29567132
I was driving to work the other day, and some dipshit used a recreation nuke a couple blocks away, I had to change my fucking commute.
What a joke
>>
>>29566653
>personal airspace

you sound like an angry liberal dyke bitch

YOU ARE VIOLATING MY PERSONAL AIRSPACE HATE CRIME HATE CRIME

you should probably be ashamed of yourself for this post.
>>
>>29567253
It's kind of hilarious that when you compare the way people talk on the far left to the way people talk on the far right, everything starts looking scary similar.
>>
>>29567094
getting caught.
>>
>>29567266
christ i know. you sit around on /pol/ for long enough and you can't help but notice this. they don't though. it's a bit what the fuck.

maybe they all need to just get together and fuck.
>>
>>29567290
>maybe they all need to just get together and fuck.
A good, solid hatefuck has solved a surprising number of problems through history.

Maybe we need to just figure out how to set up a hate orgy for the most radical idiots on both sides. Stage it once a year in all major cities. Make it a national holiday. Political Hate Fuck Day. Consensual sexual psuedo-violence for the win!
>>
>>29567107
oh yes.
we would have to make new forms of game to hunt with nukes.
>hunting leviathans with 5kt bombs dropped like buoys around it
>>
>>29567319
>hunting leviathans
You know, I think one of the biggest subsurface drivers for /k/ as a microcosm and the western world in general is the fact that there aren't any monsters in the world anymore. No one expects a Kraken or Leviathan on their nautical maps of far off lands anymore. In killing all our monsters with science, it feels like we've killed our dreams.

Fuck. The fuck did that come from?
>>
>>29566653
>/k/ is just /pol/ with guns

This is one of the dumbest things I've heard on this board
>>
>>29567341
your soft, cliche-ridden brain
>>
>>29567361
>your soft, cliche-ridden brain
Sure. Maybe.

Or you can stop and think for a moment how much time and energy /k/ spends humorously, ironically or seriously woolgathering about:
>shooting home intruders in self defense
>Red Dawn type situations
>MEG threads and the anons that post in them thinking they're going off to slay dragons like a bad USMC commercial
>alium/skinwalker/etc threads
>STALKER fantasies
>even nationalistic shitposting
In all of these, there are Big Bads or Big Suck to overcome and master. I don't see it being psychologically that much different from Here Be Monsters, just on a much more subconscious level.
>>
>>29566886
That made me hard.
>>
>>29567342
>implying /pol/ is nogunz
>>
>>29566653
as a land owner in most developed countries you dont own the land below or above your house
>>
>>29567822
>below
Weeeeeeeeell that's a whole different can of worms. Mining/mineral rights are a whole byzantine specialty of property/real estate law, because it's generally such a pain in the ass to deal with. It's only simple if you 100% own them or 100% do not. There are a thousand permutations in between.

Generally you have "rights" to or "lease" the airspace above your property to a certain altitude above ground with fair use clauses for landing or low flying aircraft, etc. Sometimes you "own" it with those federally/state mandated fair use things built in.

Either way it amounts to the same thing: you don't have exclusive rights to the airspace above your property and god help you if you do something that has even a wiff of terrorism (like shoot down a manned aircraft).
>>
>>29567036
If you live within 5nmi of a class E or higher airspace the class E extends all the way to the ground. It's the magenta area on a sectional.

Other airspace (like that above your house) is class G, and in some cases it extends to 1200ft AGL. Well, unless you live near an airport.
>>
>>29567266
Being extreme and generally ignorant is what the two sides have in common.
>>
>>29566922
you can't shoot trespassers on your non domicile/curtilage land without them posing a threat to your personal safety so i'm gonna say probably not
>>
so if we can't shoot aircraft and shit and cars are probably also out of the question, can we shoot people?
like that one 20mm self defense anon said, you can use anything in self defense.
and personally, I wanna see what a 88mm flak gun does to someone.
>>
File: image.jpg (103 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103 KB, 1280x720
>>29567896
I DRINK YOOOOOOUR MILKSHAKE!!!!
>>
>>29567822
You're right, I don't live underground and have land above my house
>>
>>29566922

If you can't prove beyond a shadow of doubt that it was directly threatening you with serious harm, you better be prepared for the assfucking of your life.
If it crash lands and kills some more people in the process, nobody will even care why you shot it down, you're getting assfucked forever and ever, period.
>>
>>29567682
You're welcome
>>
File: 1446167531605.jpg (47 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1446167531605.jpg
47 KB, 720x720
>>29566846
>tfw can't buy up land around U.S.strategic bases and then shoot down Russian open skies spy planes
>>
>>29569401
if you got that much money to spend I'd suggest you buy an island in the south china sea (or heck, make ONE) and troll the chicoms
>>
>>29569644
If I could I would
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.