[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was thinking about islands being considered 'unsinkable'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
I was thinking about islands being considered 'unsinkable' aircraft carriers and I was wondering. The main drawback is that the islands are immobile, but there are a ton of small little islands scattered around the Pacific, right? Couldn't you install large screw propellers into one of them and get it mobile so you could convert one into a mobile aircraft carrier? There'd be huge benefits to having a "ship" that couldn't be destroyed or sunk, and could field large numbers of carrier attack groups.
>>
How did I not think of this?
>>
Islands are connected under the water to the continental plates. They aren't just floating there. If this was possible we could have made california into an aicraft carrier before the rot set in.
>>
Brits are already on it.
>>
>>29539307
So like an anchor, right? Couldn't you just pull up the anchor connection from the plate, set sail, and then re-anchor somewhere else?
>>
>>29539307
why not cut the connection so that they can float?
>>
>>29539341
>>29539350
if im not mistaken those continental plates are massive
>>
>>29539230
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cesSRfXqS1Q
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 219x186) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 219x186
>>29539230
>>29539341
>>29539350
Massive bait or plain retarded, either ways I applaud you
>>
Holy crap, this is full retard.
>>
>>29539356
depends on the island anon. After all, their maximum width is only roughly that of the island right?
>>
>>29539341
Top kek
>>
>>29539350
>>29539341
>>29539230
Alright guys I realize this is bait but come on, it got old.
>>
Do... do you think an island would float if you somehow separated the entire fucking thing from the ocean floor?

Do you actually think that? I'm actually not sure if this is one of those instances where I glimpse the true depth of stupidity in this world or if you're just trolling.
>>
>>29539432
Well, no. The minimum width would be the island. It gets larger and larger below sea level. Think of it like a mountain, with the peak being the part above water.
>>
What if you sing and the island transforms into a mech and it flies away?
>>
>>29539341
You're on to something, let me call gliderman for his take on the situation.
>>
>>29539815
>>
>>29539230
Kek.
Not sure if you are an ass hole (a funny one) or a tard. Either way, please post more OP
>>
Concrete pontoons. It'll be a thing soon.
>>
>>29539230
Now that's what I call autism.
>>
>>29539230
Islands are just mountains underwater. If you can make it work with Everest, anon, I'll make it work with Japan.
>>
>>29539230
It's sad to see the mental degradation of a battleshipfag who finally realizes they've been BTFO.
>>
>>29539341
are you having a laugh?
>>
Well if the island is hooked up to the plate then we need to weaponize the ENTIRE CONTINENT.

With nanomachines and scifi bullshit. Like those floating continent platforms in 40k on Terra.
>>
>>29539341
Not quite, it's really more like resting on the bottom. With a regular ship, if you want more bouyancy you just pump water out of the ballast tanks. On an island, there is a bunch of water in the soil, so you drill wells to pump the water out of the soil, giving the island more bouyancy so it wil lift off of the bottom and float.

I'm a civil engineer AND a Navy veteran, so I know all about this stuff.
>>
>>29542913
Seems legit, Mr. Seamen expert.
>>
>>29539307
so if we cut the cord, california will sink with all the faggots on it?
why are we not funding this?
>>
>>29543252
because then the rest of the country would go bankrupt
>>
>>29543252 (Just F.Y.I., per capita, there are more fags in Texas by almost two to one. Four to one if you ignore San Francisco.)
>>
Now, seriously, If you hollow out a basalt island, seal any cracks with concrete, coat it in resin, and install some nuclear turbine powered pumps and propulsion, then mine it loose from the seamount underneath, theoretically you could do it... But that would be a seriously silly thing to do.
>>
-After all, they used to make Liberty Ships out of concrete...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_ship
>>
You know where every island is already, every airbase in japan and taiwan is going to be irbmed to death the instant war breaks, and all your fancy island ones are going to be cruise missiled and irbmed to death as well. The main defensive tool of an aircraft carrier is its inability to be located.

The reason the harrier was created was the fact that every airbase in europe was going to be destroyed by soviet missiles shortly after war broke out, islands are even worse because you cant even hide them.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.