[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could this be a real thing and shoot satellites all day erryday?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9
File: shuttle-doorgunner.jpg (21 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
shuttle-doorgunner.jpg
21 KB, 350x350
Could this be a real thing and shoot satellites all day erryday?
>>
>>29538871
The Outer Space Treaty bans any country with space exploration capabilities from using Biological, Nuclear, and Chemical WMDs in orbit or in space.

However. The US has been interested in kinetic bombardment utilizing solid tungsten rods being dropped from orbit using the Earth's gravity to achieve terminal velocity. Simulations put the impact force comparable to the blast seen at Nagasaki. This would also not violate the OST because the rods are simple inert objects. The US called the project "Rods from God".
>>
>>29539086
>The Outer Space Treaty bans any country with space exploration capabilities from using Biological, Nuclear, and Chemical WMDs in orbit or in space.

Bullets are not biologial, nuclear, or chemical WMDs and could be used to shoot satellites or other spacecraft
>>
>>29538871
>>29538882
i think theres some sort of treaty in place that says we can't bring weapons up there
>>
>>29539117
Who gives a fuck is there a celestial check point that's going to be frisking our astronauts
>>
>>29539086

Oh yea, because America totally has a history of respecting treaties?

And I fucking hope we aren't spending money on kinetic bombardment... that shit is ludicrously expensive and not worth the results.

I totally do not in any way believe that they will flatten a city like the WW2 nukes did.
>>
>>29539110
>>29539117
Conventional weapons are allowed in space. But mostly useless given the lack of atmosphere to dissipate barrel heat.
>>
>>29539144
yes it's called gravity and a primary reason its retardedly expensive to put weapons in space at the moment
>>
File: Anime-planetes-dvd-cover1[1].jpg (23 KB, 250x350) Image search: [Google]
Anime-planetes-dvd-cover1[1].jpg
23 KB, 250x350
yes, but you will be part of a space debris company. using lasers to vaporize small stuff and push larger stuff into falling orbits.
>>
File: nope, i cant do this anymore.gif (159 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
nope, i cant do this anymore.gif
159 KB, 300x169
>>29538871
>will there be a space shuttle door gunner?????
No.
>>29539117
>there's a treaty against space weapons!
No.
>>29539167
>Planetes
Great anime.
>>
File: space_retard.png (31 KB, 977x128) Image search: [Google]
space_retard.png
31 KB, 977x128
>>29538871
just gonna leave this here
>>
>>29539145
I mean, we were already using low level kinetic bombardment in Vietnam with the Lazy Dog bombs. Simple pieces of steel shaped into a bullet design with no charge or guidance dropped by buckets or in clusters from regular bombing height.

From 75ft up the bullet sized pieces of steel hit the ground with the force of a .50 caliber round and penetrated 24 inches into the Earth.
>>
>>29539202

Quit shaming the dummies.
>>
>>29539159
>But mostly useless given the lack of atmosphere to dissipate barrel heat.

I don't think you understand how cold space is
>>
>>29539145

A telephone pole sized rod made of tungsten is a hell of a lot cheaper than an atomic bomb, and I'm very sorry you don't believe that but your lack of understanding the physics of something that big, heavy, and penetrating falling at terminal velocity does not change what actually happens.
>>
>>29539220
I don't think you understand how the vacuum of space works.
>>
>>29539220

I don't think you understand how heat dissipation works.
>>
>>29539261

Are you saying that -300 degrees can't cool off a barrel?
>>
>>29539159
>>29539220
>>29539261
99% of barrel heat dissipates via the air
radiative heat dissipation is inefficient as fuck.
>>
>>29539281
>what is a vacuum
>>
>>29539281

How's it gonna cool off, dumbass? The heat doesn't just disappear, it has to have something to transfer to.
>>
>>29539281
Air pressure air cooled to -300 degrees will cool whatever you like.
Fuck all cooled to -300 degrees will do fuck all.
>>
>>29539238
>A telephone pole sized rod made of tungsten is a hell of a lot cheaper than an atomic bomb
citation needed

I don't have the math worked out right here, but the kinetic energy of that telephone pole at terminal velocity is around the same as the energy released in the detonation of the smallest nuclear device ever developed.
>>
>>29539110
what happens when the primer explodes and ignites the powder in the case?
>>
>>29539342

If you're saying all chemical reactions are the same as chemical WMDs then you just committed a warcrime last time you shot some rounds at the range
>>
More or less, yeah. Not any time soon.
The current line of thought is aircraft launched missiles to shoot down satellites. Sometimes ship launched.

What >>29539086 says about the treaty is true but it only works as long as there's no real interest in space. If China starts sending up armed spacecraft with soldiers, everyone else with the capability will. Armed space soldiers might be a reality in as little as the next 50 years, it all depends how it plays out - stuff like exploting the resources of the moon would play a huge part.
>>
You have to use so much energy to get that telephone pole into space it isn't even worth it.
Ounces are expensive.
>>
>>29539145

It's a piece of metal the size of a telephone pole. At terminal velocity it would be devastating. But guess what? It wouldn't be moving at terminal velocity, it would be going much, much faster. In the neighborhood of 15,000 miles per hour. I did not miss a zero.

Velocitas eradico, motherfucker
>>
>>29539305
Is water/coolant coooled possible?
>>
is anyone considering the spacejunk this produces?
I'm not an envirofag but putting a ma deuce in space and then just letting the brass from it fly around at 17k mph to punch holes in ISS windows isn't the best thing.
plus if you miss, that bullet just keeps going until it hits something.
not all that good.
>>
>>29539626
It's worth it the moment someone else does. Do you think MIRVs are cheap?

But I don't think it'll happen to be honest. It's too vulnerable as a system, unless you build hundreds of separate launchers.
>>
why don't we just pump oxygen into outer space?
>>
>>29539707
Oh yeah, this. We're already risking it with the current amount of space junk, any more and traveling to outer space, or just using near earth space, will be impossible without a clean up operation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_syndrome
>>
>>29539731
This has to be bait
>>
>>29539731
space already has trace amounts of oxygen in it
>>
>>29538871
The problem with blowing up satellites is that the debris doesn't go anywhere. It just scatters in orbit.

Once there's a critical mass of space debris in Earth orbit we will quickly get a chain reaction of shit crashing into shit that turns our sky into an unusable, perpetual bullet storm. That means not only our military, but all of the planet's civilian communication, navigation, and weather technology is gone. We are back a the pre-industrial age as far as that goes.

The Chinese blew up a satellite once as a test and it sent NASA quietly apeshit.
>>
>>29539220
>>29539281
Jesus.
/k/ never ceases to amaze.
>>
File: 1434342342071.jpg (16 KB, 268x265) Image search: [Google]
1434342342071.jpg
16 KB, 268x265
>>29539663
Actually, a Lewis gun might work great in space if you figured out a way to make the plumbing circulate water in zero g.
>>
>>29539933
Mount it to a jetpack and have a closed water system with electric pumps. That'd work. Lot of gear and shit that could go wrong though.
>>
>>29539731
>>29539763
Fun fact: if the space between the Earth and the Sun were (suddenly) filled with air, the Sun would be as loud as a train horn next to your head.
>>
>>29539205
>>29539238
>>29539661

I'm back to reply.

I don't give a fuck what the math says, unless whatever the rod hits puts up a SHIT TON of resistance, it's not going to be able to unleash all that atomic bomb level energy fast enough to level a city.

It will likely sink down into the earth deep as fuck, and dissipate its energy across however far down it travels after making a crater a few hundred feet across. It likely will not blow down strong buildings within a kilometer radius in my uneducated opinion. It will absolutely fuck everything in the immediate vicinity though and the shock wave and blast would fuck shit, too.

The earth will absorb the vast majority of the rods energy and cost an ungodly sum to put in orbit where everyone with a telescope will see and blame America every time a meteor hits.

All that when we have perfectly serviceable nuclear bombs that would do the job better, cheaper, and safer than the multiple launches and countless hours of space walking.
>>
>>29539281
to disperse heat you must transfer it form one medium to another, ex our atmosphere, water.etc. The issue in space is that it is technically cold but only because there is nothing there to transfer heat
>>
>>29539968
Just a train horn, I mean that's still loud as a motherfucker. Damn, I figured ear rupturing levels. The more you know.
>>
>>29539959
Closed water loops are actually very reliable once water tight. I built many custom loops in computers that haven't leaked since I started making them 5+ years ago. The only problem with closed water loops is the pump, and those things are stupid simple. As long as air doesn't get in the pump, it's fine.
>>
>>29539970
we can easily put 10-30 tons in leo (low earth orbit ) with our current rockets. You disguse the launcer as a military communications sattilite then when needed you drop the pay load. One of the hardest issues is actually guiding it on a moving target due ti interference caused by reentree
>>
here is a link to a ground based kentic missile system known as losat developed in the 90s
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d09c54fbac
>>
>>29540003
train horn next to your head would rupture your eardrums

i always figured it would sound like a NASA scale rocket launch going off millions of times next to your head
>>
>>29540030
its a few 100 pounds of tungsten moving at mach 5, really it could kill any tank frontally even an abrams
>>
>>29540006

I think I might have been too generous saying it'll make a crater a few hundred feet... it'll definitely make a noticeable difference a few hundred feet around its impact point but I think the term "crater" is too generous. Maybe 100 feet of what we would call a crater.
>>
>>29540048
theres even a faster one hits at mach 6 plus http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/app4/ckem.html
>>
>>29540057
>>29539970
I actually talked with Oppenheimer about this.
rods from god are useless.
basically, it would be like dropping a drill bit from a crane into the dirt.
wouldn't really do shit.
now try the same thing with a firecracker (representing a nuke) and see what happens.
RFGs suck ass.
>>
>>29540057
more than enough to ruin the enimes day generally you don't want the massive collateral a nuke does. Nukes are like using a sledge hammer to cut open skin to operate on a patient . kentic missiles are more like a scaple utterly destroying the target and only the target
>>
>>29540109
>what is small yield weapons
>what is advanced targeting
we have variable yield bombs that can go as low as 25kt iirc.
also if you're using nukes, collateral doesn't matter too much anymore.
>>
>>29540101

I gotta agree with Oppen there.

I mean, yea the math says that if you throw a tungsten telephone pole fast enough it'll hit with the force of a nuke, but the target just can't put up enough physical resistance to transfer that energy.

That said. It's still a badass idea.

>>29540109

Nukes these days are allegedly much, much cleaner than the ones used on Japan. Something like only 5-10 percent of fissile material combusted in those bombs, probably less. These days the numbers should be in the high 90s, hopefully. I'm not an expert but I can hope lol
>>
>>29539086

Chinese and Russian are going to have a Lunar base with Nuclear capabilities. And the US will scream and holler and flop around and wail and cry and sanction and pout with the last ounce of its power, unable to stop others who advanced past it. That's what spending 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 dollars on NIGGERS got us.
>>
>>29539968
Sauce?
>>
>>29540160
back to your containment board.
>>>/pol/
do you even know how retarded hard it would be to not only build a lunar base, but put fucking nukes on it and give it launch capabilities?
and how much of a motherfucker it would be to get the launch codes and everything from earth to said base?
>>
>>29540207

We got an authority here.

When are you shipping out to basic?
>>
>>29540207

I don't know, how hard would it be to download digital pictures from a probe near NEPTUNE in the 1970s?
>>
>>29540274
>>29540282
fair enough.
but I don't think doing this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWZXinRwCaE
on the moon would be a walk in the park.
and that's not counting how you build said base and infrastructure.
>>
>>29540003
>>29540036
Actually, I was off with my math. Train horn next to your head is 150 db. A meter away it's 120 db. The sun would be about 125 db. Physical pain is said to be 130 db, but most people would think that 125 or even 100 db for half an hour would hurt like hell.
>>
>>29539707

Two things can't orbit at the same height at different speeds.

Gravity was just a meme film, none of that could actually happen.
>>
File: 1458576644804.jpg (17 KB, 640x406) Image search: [Google]
1458576644804.jpg
17 KB, 640x406
>Ctrl+F Salyut 3
>no results
You people should be ashamed of yourselves. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salyut_3#On-board_gun
>>
File: 1456220297832-k.png (593 KB, 1185x1029) Image search: [Google]
1456220297832-k.png
593 KB, 1185x1029
>>29541931
Did you just actually attempt to disprove ablation cascade in a fucking post on 4chan?
>what is force exchange
>what is orbital decay
>what effect does DeltaV have on orbital height

Plenty of thing move at different speeds at different heights, orbits aren't perfect.
>>
>>29542108
>I played KSP once
>>
File: 1769.gif (409 KB, 450x528) Image search: [Google]
1769.gif
409 KB, 450x528
>>29542223
>I'm smarter than an entire field of physicists with government funding

0/10 made me respond
>>
>>29539663
>>29539933
>>29539959
You still need a radiator the cool the water so it's still shit.
>>
>>29540004

yup, still though you are left with the heat problem.

Now you have hot water, and that creates a pressure problem too.

The best gun for space besides some laser handgun that as of yet does not exist would be a gun that I invented and am not at liberty to discuss because of reasons. It has very little recoil and the recoil it does have can be turned off sacrificing long term accuracy as a trade off for zero recoil short term performance.

Its quite expensive but the cost is mainly in the ammo for it fires what is in essence a smaller version of a HEAT round.
>>
>>29539086
Lasers aren't any of those, and they actually exist. Countries laze imaging satellites all the time.
>>
>>29542447
lasers still have terrible overheating problems and need massive cooling when powerful.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.