[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well it looks like FN is finally going to be moved out of th
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6
File: image.png (154 KB, 740x247) Image search: [Google]
image.png
154 KB, 740x247
Well it looks like FN is finally going to be moved out of the limelight along with KAC...Kraut based weapons when?

http://www.armytimes.com/story/military/2016/04/01/army-picks-heckler-koch-sniper-rifle-replace-m110/82526646/
>>
I just don't understand desu. I get replacing M14s or whatever DMR the army used to use with an AR10, but this is simply replacing an AR10 with an AR10. They tout the QD suppressor as a feature, but M110s have them too. The weight loss isn't impressive either since the M110 barrel is like 3 inches longer than the G28s and has a bunch less plastic parts. What an inscrutable waste of cash.
>>
>>29530870
Well because M14's are outdated and a new one ha not been made for over 50 years, and 110 is Remshit.
>>
>>29530870
M14 was not a great choice but they made do with what they had.

M110 was an excellent replacement for a variety of reasons.

It seems that this new rifle is not offering anything except a new HK contract (along with their 416 and IAR contracts)

I am a fan of pistons but the M110 had no issues. Now we have a heavier and less accurate weapon for the sake of a minor increase in reliability and a major decrease in logistics.
>>
File: IMGP3769-1.jpg (414 KB, 1500x996) Image search: [Google]
IMGP3769-1.jpg
414 KB, 1500x996
>>29530751
i want them to sell it on the civilian market. fucking krauts i want to give them my money but they wont let me
>>
>>29531049
They do
>>
>>29530870
see>>29530996
It's literally nothing but a complete waste in money. The only thing this new gun offers is a forward assist
>>
File: 1458788681930.jpg (189 KB, 2387x993) Image search: [Google]
1458788681930.jpg
189 KB, 2387x993
>>29531064
i don't want some neutered version without a chrome lined barrel
>>
>>29531118
>implying you cant buy and replace the barrel
>>
>>29531118
Doing that shit was literallz one of the biggest fuck yous in the civvz gun market
>>
>>29531185
The barrels are amazing either way.

If you dont have full giggle there is little purpose for chrome lining. Would you rather have better life during full auto or accuracy?
>>
>>29531185
HK loves to fuck us over.
>SL8, UMP, MR556, MR762, HK91/93/94
>>
>>29530996

there were reliability issues withe the M110s, as well as it throwing the last round in the magazine.

nothing that's necessarily fixed with a HK, though.
>>
>>29531185
If the MR556 had the chrome line barrel I'd own one.
>>
>>29531185
>>29531347
Is it possible to stick a milspec AR-15 barrel in it somehow?
>>
>>29530870
This contract is basically just to keep HK alive
>>
>>29531118
I wish this burnt bronze and FDE meme would end really soon.
>>
>>29530751
>KAC
>H&K
>FNH
To be honest they were going to end up with a pretty fucking awesome gun any way they went.
>>
>>29532066
we just need another war inna jungle or in temperate forest to bring back OD green and Woodland.
>>
Daily reminder that HK was the ONLY company to petition the government in an attempt to stop the 89 import ban.
>>
>>29531226
You know that shit is because of German export laws and American import laws, right?
>>
>>29531259
I used one and never had any reliability issues. In fact I own the same exact model I used in the army and have some 8,500rds down the tube at the moment and never had an issue.

I bought my wife's son an MR556 and he had no issues, but I dont think that the HK417 is any much of an improvement at all and is if anything less reliable and less accurate at a logistical cost.
>>
>>29534414
>my wife's son
You're just memeing, right?
>>
>>29532042
They should have moved most of their manufacturing to the US years ago anyway, Obendorf should just be fulfilling European and German G-36, MP7 and MG4 orders.

They need to move their shit sooner than later, bring most of the tooling to HKUSA, get the fuck out of obendorf, make guns in Switzerland or the Czech Republic because Germany fucking hates H&K
>>
>>29531118
>>29530751
Is this a new thing, to have guns with mismatching colors? Is it that difficult to give them a uniform finish?
>>
>>29534446
This. HK's failures are it's own fault primarily and the fault of the British firm that owns them.
FN wasn't going to rest on it's laurels and allow HK to take the market.

I'd rather see them go out of business and have a firesale, only to be bought and moved out of shittier Germany.
>>
>>29534308
Yes they got fucked over hard by the Hughes amendment and the import ban, they were the hottest seller of NFA MG's before hughes, but that was then. HK has changed ownership and is now owned by a British firm.

HK is failing for 2 reasons:
1: Just focusing on small arms without much thought towards civilian markets - they could be more involved in the development of shoulder fired munitions and cannon

2. Not getting out of Import strict Germany, or even Europe entirely. Keep the corporate HQ in Obendorf for all I care, move the manufacturing to the US and better spots in Europe.
>>
>>29534429
Yes
>>
>>29531118
>i don't want some neutered version without a chrome lined barrel
They're polygonal barrels, of course they won't be chrome lined, that defeats the entire purpose of it in the first place.

Just don't shoot corrosive ammo out of it and you're fine.

>implying you would shoot corrosive ammo out of an ass-expensive rifle anyway
>>
>>29534495
>move the manufacturing to the US
Fun fact: that was the plan originally. Then reunification happened (which put a strain on the West German economy when they absorbed the bankrupt East German economy) and the US passed a bunch of gun laws, so HK abandoned their plans to make a US factory.

Up until that point HK was import-happy. Original HK semi-autos came in without issue, but they're outrageously priced now. Mostly because they weren't in nearly as high demand now as they were then.

Not that they shouldn't go ahead and do it, but they haven't been in the best of financial situations as of late. I wish they would, we all do. Whether it's price, laws or just pride, who knows, but it would sure be welcome.
>>
NEVER move hks production to the us.
getting it the fuck out of germany is one thing, but sending it to the us would fuck it forever.

the only good guns produced in the us are special snowflake guns. or guns made by european companies at american factories, for the us military.
>>
>>29534627
Thats not true.
KAC makes quality shit.
>>
>>29534450
upper is steel, so yes

>>29532066
>>29532091
shitty bronze is silly, but coyote brown and dark tan are pretty based, they work in dark woodland, winter, and especially snowy woodland. where pretty much any other color will fuck you.

but i agree, its the worst veresion of brown
>>
>>29530751
>Armytimes

Come on guys, the Army Times is a gossip rag that posts rumors or exaggerations. It takes tentative statements or plans and posts them as 9000% going to happen and happen immediately(!). It's the buzzfeed clickbait shit of the military.
>>
>>29534644
there are exceptions, military contracts usually means okay quality or better. but every european company that has moved to the us or been bought by us corps, has had worse products. american private weapon sales does NOT improve quality, its the opposite.

look at sphinx, walther, cz usa, us sigs, the jerichos, probably more that I'm forgetting.

to fix HK first fix the shitty us import rules, then the shitty german export rules,
by european standards HK guns arent that expensive
>>
>>29530958
>110 is Remshit

Are you actually retarded. Even if you didn't know what the M110 was, it's IN the Article. Jesus christ
>>
>>29534738
This is how you do it successfully
>move the manufacturing stateside
>retain as much as the of staff as possible with work visas or citizenship
>keep Hk in euroland with if need be but ideally make it independent/employee owned.

Also Beretta has Us manufacture but their product is limited so eh
>>
File: bajkoaabl.jpg (17 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
bajkoaabl.jpg
17 KB, 300x450
As a marine scout sniper who's deployed with the m110 and served as the chief instructor for one of our schools, I can attest to the m110 being a piece of shit.

Non adjustable cheek height a2 style stock

Ambidextrous magazine release = magazines ejected into the dirt when patrolling with rifle across body

No forward assist

Direct gas = dirtiest internals you'll ever see

Too much rail in unneeded places

Suppressor is 40 percent paper weight, and varies only slightly in how it mates with the rifle, ensuring no part commonality between mk11 .... Seriously, Fuck you kac

It's a stove pipe machine and routinely fails to fully lock the bolt forward after 100 rounds
>>
>>29536093
>>29534738
just looked this shit up. since was pretty sure all us military arms had to be produced in merica. and appearently hk-usa manufactures the guns. at least enough to please import gods. which probably means that thats the reasom why hk is so shit in the us. eu hk doesnt give a fuck.
that and of course merkel.
>>
>>29536136
I think the g28 has ambi mag release too. the mr762a3 does.
>>
>>29530870
M110s are ridiculously expensive, whereas HK's .308 is just pretty expensive for what I imagine to be very similar accuracy and reliability.
>>
>>29532091
I'm hoping for something like an arctic oil war so we can get some sweet white and light gray guns, honestly.
>>
>>29536346
norwegian army uses 417 as a sniperrifle. not dmr. and it shoots sub moa with regular real fuckin nato ammo. with match its pretty fucking accurate. i think it differs slightly from regular 417. but the g28 is probably the same
>>
File: scar_16s_large.png (146 KB, 519x370) Image search: [Google]
scar_16s_large.png
146 KB, 519x370
>>29536319

The newest models of hk everything has their left side magazine release protected by a little wall, but still can shoot your mag out if it hits the corner of a mag on your plate carrier, which happens more often than you'd think. I punched the pins on my sass in country after losing a full mag in a wadi.

Personally I think we should've gone scar H with a heavy 18" barrel with a surefire suppressor, SSR stock and giessele trigger, with the rest of the team running 12" and 16" dependant on operating environment on scar Ls

But what do I know
>>
>>29534495
>>29534467
>>29534467

Stop with this outdated info. The British sold it to a private group of German investors a while back, it's not British in any way, shape, or form now.
>>
>>29536295
Eh I'm torn between HK USA being shit because the US likes to cheap out on manufacture prices which is why our auto industry is shit OR because on the internet everything is shit depending on who is arguing and also what it is that makes it perceived as shit.

Hard to separat what's real anymore
>>
>>29534446
Doesn't the German state have some bullshit powers over their patents or something?
>>
>>29534450
It's called Two-Tone and it's old as fuck.

It doesn't really work with these colors though, you need a real contrast, like on a pistol, an OD plastic frame with a matte black slide, or a stainless steel frame with a blued slide.

Also I'm so sick of all these sand/tan colors on guns, flat dark earth, burned bronze, it looks so UGLY, I would rather they used the colors to make a camo pattern, at least that's a little interesting.
>>
>>29534626
I think it would be worth trying to set up shop to make and sell MP5 pistols and rifles in the US.

Maybe do a partnership with PTR, I heard they have been looking at 9mm tooling. Like providing PTR with "parts kits" and receiver flats for various guns, for a cut of the profits.
>>
File: 1435322433975.jpg (303 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1435322433975.jpg
303 KB, 1280x960
>>29530996
>I am a fan of pistons but the M110 had no issues.

The KAC manual says you can only fire 1 shot per minute with the M110 unless you're ok with degrading accuracy.
That's not so great in modern engagements.

Personally, I'd have gone with the FN...
>>
>>29536136
>Direct gas = dirtiest internals you'll ever see
That's cute, you should see the internals of a G3 or PSG-1, the Stoner gas-system is clean as fuck in comparison, and just because you're told to clean it a lot doesn't mean it can't handle the grunge, with an AR, you can basically use lube/oil as a substitute for cleaning and it'll work (not sure how conducive to accuracy this will be though).

Forward assist is overrated, but the double mag-release sounds kind of dumb.
7.62mm only suppresses so well in NATO loadings, but yes you could likely do better anyway.
>>
>>29534467
>British firm that owns them.
your info has been outdated since over a decade. HK is owned by private German investors.
>>
>>29536875
>The KAC manual says you can only fire 1 shot per minute with the M110 unless you're ok with degrading accuracy.
I'm pretty certain what that means is that as the gun gets hotter, you go from sub-0moa to slightly less sub-0moa, untill it cools down again (in a manner of speaking), warmer barrels means groupings begin opening up, for DMR purposes, this is probably not going to matter. Also it might be a disclaimer for snipers, you know how autistic that can get, you write an entry in a log for every shot, detailing EVERYTHING

I wonder if it isn't put there for lawyer reasons
>>
>>29536977
>I wonder if it isn't put there for lawyer reasons
it's probably to avoid what happened to EoTech. They write in what should be common sense so that the decreased accuracy from a warm barrel doesn't get turned into "THESE SNIPER RIFLES CAN'T SHOOT STRAIGHT" by some retard
>>
>>29536977

Yes, your POI will shift as the barrel gets hotter, but no, we don't write down rediculous data for every shot we take. Just atmospherics before we start shooting and as it changes throughout the day, DOPE, wind call, POA and POI.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.