[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Camping Gun
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: DSC_0279.jpg (3 MB, 3696x2448) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0279.jpg
3 MB, 3696x2448
Hel, /k/, so I'm going camping this summer and I need to get a weapon to take into the woods with me. The place where I'm camping has populations of mountain lions, wolverines, bears, coyotes, elk, and possibly moose (though unlikely). Since I'm American and not 21, I can't buy pistol ammo (FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU). I want to get a gun of my own to use, since my inherited guns aren't viable candidates for various reasons (way too valuable/hard to feed/ poor condition).

So far, my budget is pretty limited, ~$1000 max. Keep in mind I also want to use this gun for the long haul, so reliability and/or ergonomics are also important to me. So far I've looked at AK-pattern rifles, some lever actions, and also at a handful of AR-15s. I haven't really looked at shotguns because I have no experience with them, but I'm open minded.

>pic mildly related, in the same state as where I'm camping
>>
File: image.jpg (395 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
395 KB, 2592x1944
>>29486295
Do you have to be 21 to buy this if not this.
>>
>>29486295
>FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU
go back to 9gag we don't take to kindly to newfags here
>>
Marlin 45-70 not 2007-2014, with buffalo bore ammo. Or mossberg 500/930 and brenneke black magic slugs. Or a G20 glock. Or just bear spray and a subcompact 9mm.
>>
If you're after a cheap reliable and adaptable gun for camping/wildlife self defense or hunting then go for a shotgun. A 12 gauge with buck will take care of most things and slugs with do everything else. Plus you don't have to worry about magazines and storing them since they carry the shells internally and you can get sleeves that attach to the gun to carry more, with any spare in your bag.
>>
>>29487005
>recommends two guns using pistol ammunition

Reading comprehension dipshit.

Rest is right though, just carry a 12ga with slugs.
>>
Why can't you buy pistol ammo? Plenty of rifles use pistol ammunition.
>>
File: spooks being spooky.jpg (67 KB, 450x357) Image search: [Google]
spooks being spooky.jpg
67 KB, 450x357
>>29486783
get this with folding stock OP. So fun. So cool. Deadly.

pic related
>>
>>29488692
Some commie states are gay that way. Guess op lives in one.
>>
camp somewhere else
>>
>>29488664
You can buy pistol ammo if you say its for a rifle.
>>
File: Dont think too hard about it.jpg (79 KB, 780x586) Image search: [Google]
Dont think too hard about it.jpg
79 KB, 780x586
>>29486295
Just get a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 or Maverick 88 (really the same gun) for ~$200 dollars.

A 12 Gauge shotgun will take all forms of game on the North American continent: with the right ammo, of course. Buy 3" slugs for big game, and some #4 birdshot for small game such as rabbits, squirrels, birds, etc.

If you're concerned about weight/size then get the Maverick (18in barrel, lighter) OR just get the gun in 20 gauge. My first gun was a Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge, and it was maybe 4 pounds loaded up and very easy to maneuver; and 20 gauge slugs will still pump over 1600 ft-lbs of force into the target.
>>
>>29486295
SKS

You need remove antler/yipyip? SKS remove

You want cheap gun? SKS

You like wood stocks? SKS

You like iron sights? Has good iron sights

You like scope? Fuck you

You like stripper clips? SKS use stripper clips

You like tapco magazines/stock/rails/tacticool online things you see made for SKS? Rifle is perfect for you to kill self

You like bayonet? Rifle comes with bayonet

You like cleaning kit? Rifle comes with cleaning kit

You like lightweight rifle? Fuck you grow testes

You like weapons built for the rugged? SKS comes with the rugged

Good rifle. You buy.
>>
>>29488928
>mossberg 500
>with banana mag
hnnngggg
>>
>>29491413
This, sks is perfect for innawoods, and better for hunting than a shotgun or handgun
>>
Break action single shot shotgun. I think they sell under the brand name 'cottontail'

They go for about $110, and since its 12 ga, you can load it with a lot of different ammo. The fact that it folds in the middle also helps you carry it in a backpack.
>>
I just turned 19 and own four different handguns in four different calibers. I have almost no problems getting ammo regularly. Most big stores won't sell ammo to you but usually small gun shops will sell you some if you say it's for a rifle. Or get someone over 21 to buy it for you, it hasn't been difficult.
>>
>>29486295
Semi-auto 20 gauge shotgun.
>>
File: 1459333760706.jpg (250 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1459333760706.jpg
250 KB, 640x960
Not OP. Let's say that I'll be crossing many states and will be in public areas often. Would any of this advice change? I feel walking into town off the trail with an SKS on my shoulder may not look to good, especially with the typical folk that go on hikes and shit.
>>
>>29496963
I do that.

It makes me look like a hunter until people talk to me and realize I'm an autist

Nice thing about the wooden stock on the SKS is it looks like your normie hunting rifle to fudds and nogunz instead of an Assault Rifle Fiftheen with child seeking barrel shrouds

Maximum fudd if you OC a revolver with a Bowie knife on a leather pistol belt and a red flannel shirt wearing a leather cowboy hat
>>
ruger scout 308 or henry 45-70 if you want a quality woods gun thats not peasant tier.
>>
>>29486295
How much wait do you plan to lug in your pack? That will make your list pretty short, pretty quickly.

I'd suggest a Marlin .45-70 as a pack gun. Don't go with a pistol, if you're not experienced with it or plan to spend lots of time and money at the range pistols aren't what you're looking for.
If you want to go affordable, get a Benelli or Mossberg pump and fill it with 00 buck.
>>
>>29486295
Build your own ar. Make an ar pistol and then you can have a 8-11 inch barrel and just attach it to the side of your pack. Could easily be done for under 1k with a decent barrel too.
>>
>>29491413
>>29494820
Ivan, Dmitri, get back to guarding border.
>>
>>29498821
Fuck you Sergi, I sell SKS
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.