[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm ready to take the plunge and get my first handgun. After
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: GLOCK_19.jpg (105 KB, 582x399) Image search: [Google]
GLOCK_19.jpg
105 KB, 582x399
I'm ready to take the plunge and get my first handgun. After firing a few at the range, I settled on a glock no no one's surprise, but I have a few questions:

Gen 3 vs 4: is there any real reason to get one over the other?

New or used: The sights on the gen 4 I rented weren't very good, and I hear that ex-LE g19s often have good sights on them, but I can't find a single one in stock on any website under $600 and none of my LGS have them in stock. Should I just get it new and get used to the standard sights?

How does FFL transfers work exactly with handguns compared to just buying one?

Thanks guys.
>>
>>29484567
All sidearms should be Glocks and all Glocks should be Glock 19's.

I have a Glock 19.
Do you have a Glock 19?
>>
>gen 3 vs 4
Literally no reason to get one over the other apart from personal preference. The differences are minimal but if you really want to split hairs handle both before you buy. The best option is to buy whichever is cheaper.
>New or used
Depends. You can get a new glock for $500-550. You can get a used glock for $450-500. Does the extra $50-100 matter to you? As long as it wasn't beat to shit it'll still work just fine and you can replace every single part at your leisure or as needed making it good as new.

FFL transfers are exactly the same as just buying from a shop, except with an extra step first. You need to tell the gunshop you need a transfer and to send their FFL information to whoever you're buying from, and then they'll ship it there. Easy peasy.
>>
>>29484626
Listen to this guy, anon. He knows what he's talking about. Though if you do buy a used fun, make sure it's from a reputable source (a close friend, family, an actual real, deal gun shop, or a gun show). I wouldnt recommend buying from some guy you've never met or a pawn shop.
>>
File: 1348281153136.jpg (8 KB, 251x249) Image search: [Google]
1348281153136.jpg
8 KB, 251x249
>>29484626
>>29484716
Where's a good place to buy one used? Every place I go to either has gen 4s new for $600 or gen 4s new for $600 that are out of stock. It's getting pathetic.
>>
>>29484626
This guy knows mostly qhat he is talking about. Gen4 has easily modable grip which comes with the gun and an easier recoil spring.
>>
>>29484746
Do not go to brick and mortars. Brick an mortars do not have the stock and userbase to compete with online distributors and as such will always overcharge comparatively. Sad, but the way it works.

If you want a private transfer, look on armslist. Used glocks go for 450 there all day long, and there's always room to haggle. Gunbroker is also a great place, as you can sometimes sneak away with a hella good deal via auction. Lastly, check slickguns for glock listings, they'll link you to the best deals on the web.
>>
>>29484746
Check slickguns everyday... There's usually some good Gen 3 deals on there, but you just gotta keep an eye out
>>
>>29484801
>>29484806
Thanks guys. I'm definitely gonna try armslist then. I'm always hesitant to use ebay-like sites and private sellers, but I guess I have to get over that for guns.
>>
>>29484968
Just to note, gunbroker is nothing like ebay. It's incredibly safe but I understand that the stigma is hard to get over.
>>
>>29484567
I bought a Gen 3 at academy for $540 and some change out the door (state has a sales tax it was $499 before that). I've ordered stuff online and had it shipped to my local gun store before but I find it to a pain in the ass.

I like being able to take my gun home the day I buy it, not wait for it to get shipped and then have to go pick it up.
>>
File: 1452504424212.jpg (72 KB, 651x768) Image search: [Google]
1452504424212.jpg
72 KB, 651x768
>>29484583
Now THIS is a shitpost.
>>
>>29485741
no anon, he's talking about transcendentally
>>
>>29484567
>I hear that ex-LE g19s often have good sights on them
no they dont
well they did when they were new but nightsights are almost worthless after 7 years and most posurp will be very dim or dead by the time you get your hands on it
if you dont like glock plastic sights replace em yourself or buy a new gun with nightsights preinstalled
>>
>>29486004
What sights would you recommend that don't cost a fortune?
>>
>>29484567
I recently bought my first gen 4 and like it a hair more than my gen 3s. The beaver tail back strap does it for me, and I prefer the texture. That said, a gen 3 is no slouch but I'll probably be buying gen 4 from now on. For reference I have a 26,17c, 30S and 35 in gen 3, a 43 and a 19 gen 4.
>>
>>29486411
Ameriglo CAP or idot pro
>>
>>29484968
Just remember, check the laws in your state. Nevada charges 8.15% sales tax on all transfers, so if you get it sent, you get bent over at the transfer, rather than the point of sale. Its a shit show, but what ya gonna do.

I preferred the Gen 4. I hate Glocks. But the 17 Gen 4 was nice with the large beavertail backstrap.

I carry revolver. Only way I'll ever do it. Ruger LCR-X.
>>
>>29487071
I'm in Michigan. Hated the state until I started buying guns.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.