[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /k/, bit of a dilemma here. A friend of a friend sold me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 432016.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
432016.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
Hey /k/, bit of a dilemma here.

A friend of a friend sold me a new S&W Mp40 for pretty cheap after he heard I was looking for something I could use as both a cc and a home defender. I was nogunz and am still a poorfag so I didn't turn it down.

Problem is I'm unsure if an mp40 would be good for either. It seems like a fence-sitter since it's kinda big for a cc and I have no idea if .40 has good stopping power. Watching gel tests on jewtube only tells so much.

Tl;dr Got an S&W MP40 for cheap but I'm not sure if it would be good for cc or home defense. I know it's better than nothing but still.
>>
>>29480210
That is a dilemma.
>>
>>29480210
Its fine, anon. Don't listen to these /k/ommandos who only use H&K or SIG. I don't see why a .40 is something to sneeze at for home defense or CC. Save up and buy something that you like more that fits both roles. Until then be happy you have something.
>>
>>29480210
Bro it's a .40 handgun, if you shot an intruder in the midsection a few times they would stop attacking and die.

As far as CC just play dress up and see how it feels and looks.

/thread
>>
>>29480210
If your concerns are concealment and stopping power then you need to be shopping for holsters, belts, and ammo. Not a different gun.
Get a sturdy gun belt and a kydex/leather hybrid IWB holster and a few boxes of Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot and you'll be all set.
>>
>>29480210
It is fine.
The gun, the caliber, whatever.

The trick with concealed carry is to get a good holster and dress properly. Lots of people successfully carry full size handguns. I understand the being broke thing, but do not cheap out on your holster. Try some things, and don't be shy about sending things back that do not work for you. You have lots of of options.

Have fun with your new toy.
>>
>>29480210
A) All things considered, caliber is largely irrelevant; TRAIN
B) I'm sure they make 9mm conversions
C) It'll serve you well for self defense both in and outside the house

Make sure you hit the range to test it ASAP. Then start a training regimen

And if this is your first gun, congratulations
>>
My first handgun was an m&p40

It was way too big for me to CC. Stopping power is fine, have you shot it yet? It's snappy, but I wouldn't worry much about ballistics, if someone keeps going after a couple of .40 shots, they're probably going to do the same with .45.

I ended up trading mine in on a gen 3 g23, and I got a 9mm barrel for putting ammo down range. You could do the same with the mp40.
>>
File: IMG_20160222_181904.jpg (2 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160222_181904.jpg
2 MB, 4160x3120
>MUH SNAPPY RECOIL
GTFO

I own 3 .40s&w guns ans carry the same gun you have with an apex trigger kit.
>>
>/k/: Surprisingly helpful.

Damn. Thanks. I'll take all of this into consideration. Probably should have tossed this into another thread rather than take up space and make my own.
>>
>>29480319
>gen 1
HIT THE DECK!
>>
>>29480210
I own this gun, along with a PC Shield. It's a great shooter. A little big for CC. It's not heavy, but I found the width to annoy me after a while, and no matter where you put it on yourself, stuff like sitting down and bending over will remind you that it's there. You could carry it until you get something smaller, but if you like it, keep carrying it.

As far as caliber goes... it's a .40. All you need is practice. Maybe a trigger swap, since anything M&P outside of Performance Center triggers are sub-par. But it'll kill stuff dead just fine. Get a light on it if you're gonna keep it for home defense.

You made a good investment, brah.
>>
>>29480351

That's a gen 2
>>
Buy a 9mm barrel, extractor, and magazines. Then you have a m&p9. You don't really need the mags or extractor, but it will cut down on wear and increase reliability which matters for CC.

200 bucks and it will be like you have a new gun and can swap back and forth depending on ammo availability and whim.
>>
>>29480319
Sorry if I've triggered you Mr. Detroit Glock City PD. It's snappier than 9mm, and if you had reading comprehension skills, you'd realize that I kept .40 rather than going to a different caliber on a personal weapon.
>>
>>29480875
>9mm conversion.
I was looking at that, actually. Dumb question, but can the M&P40 convert up to .45? Having 3 different calibers to choose from would be pretty nice.
>>
>>29481079
Nope. Only 9mm, .40, and .357 Sig can be converted on the 9/.40/.357sig frames. You might be able to swap slides for a .45 but I don't know for certain if that works on the M&P.
>>
>>29481079
>>29480823 here. I want to add something to the conversion debate. Be careful with the extractor on the M&P. To take it out you need to punch out a pin. It's definitely the most aggravating thing about the entire gun.

They look different now, but the 2007-ish pins looked to be made of Vibranium. If you do decide to fiddle with it, look into aftermarket pins to put in there.
>>
>>29481079

>can the M&P40 convert up to .45?

Nope, the slide wouldn't fit a .45 ACP barrel.
>>
>>29481106
>>29481252
>>29481262
Fug. Fair enough I guess. I know this won't be the only gun I buy, but I was hoping to take the jew route to STOPPIN' POWA.
>>
>>29480210
.40S&W is a good caliber for shooting people. The M&P is pretty large for concealed-carry, but that is a quality gun and a good choice for home defense.
>>
File: IMG_20160222_181912.jpg (2 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160222_181912.jpg
2 MB, 4160x3120
>>29480955
>
wasnt talking to you fuccboi, I said that because that is normally what the .40s&w threads turn into.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.