[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
building a remington 700
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10
File: 700 XCR Compact Tactical.jpg (21 KB, 1200x192) Image search: [Google]
700 XCR Compact Tactical.jpg
21 KB, 1200x192
Alright /k/, I recently ordered a remington 700 reciever, will the intention of building my own rifle. I do have some questions. So I know I'll need to take it to a gunsmith eventually, but what work can I do to help reduce gunsmith fees? Also, what tools will I need to do this work? I know that Krieger makes good barrels for the remington 700, is there anyone else to look at for barrels? Who makes a good one piece bolt? And finally, what stock do you recommend? I like pic related stock, but couldn't find a model number. Thank you for your help, and I apologize if I sound ignorant, as I am relatively new to guns.
>>
Also since it is relevant, here is what I was thinking for parts, but I am open to suggestions.
Barrel: Krieger varmint profile 308 barrel
Bolt: PTG one piece bolt w/ Stock bolt assembly
Muzzle brake: Snowy Mountain muzzle brake
Trigger: timney 510
Bottom metal: badger ordnance m5 dbm
Scope mount and rings: Leupold qd scope mount and rings
Scope: Leupold mark 4 LR/T 3.5-10x40
Stock: undecided, not sure where to begin
>>
self bump
>>
Please, I need input.
>>
File: 1395529988614.gif (2 MB, 381x434) Image search: [Google]
1395529988614.gif
2 MB, 381x434
>>29474964
Looks nice so far.

Don't get a laminate stock. Get a nice wood with burls all through it. Stain it and clear coat nigga
>>
>>29476124
Sorry I meant to reply to OP. >>29475937

>But it's 5:30am and I'm still awake drunk...
>>
>>29475937
These are questions you should've asked before buying the receiver.
>>
>>29476168
I get that, but I'd like to find the answers now, please.
>>
>>29476342
Your thread is bad and you should feel bad
>>
>>29476361
I do feel bad.
>>
Why would you need a smith?
>>
>>29476917
Because I'm not really sure about all the steps involved in final assembly, and I probably don't have the necessary tools.
>>
>>29475937
if your re-barreling, dont do anything.

you will want your smith to true the action and your new bolt,

then chamber the barrel.

then barrel the action.

lap the bolt

you can install the trigger, and scope base your self.

stock wise get a mcmillian or B&C that is pre inletted for the action, barrel and bottom metal.
>>
>>29475937
I'd say don't take possession of it and send it back from your FFL when you get the chance.

You'd be much better served with a tikka/sako build for what you're trying to do
>>
What are you going to do with this? Long range precision shooting? If so, why would you go to all this trouble and do .308 instead of 6.5CM, .260, 7mmRM, or 300WM as well as a 10x mag scope? If hunting, why varmint barrel?
>>
File: 20150915_165421.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20150915_165421.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>29478237
Shut up. A customized R700, even if OP wants to spend the dough, will beat the shit out of those at long range.
>>
>>29475937
what do you want to do with the gun? is it a precision rifle? a varmit gun? a big game rifle? are you going to shoot PRS style stuff with it? i can give you good advice, but my answers will depend on your answer.
>>
you should have bought a good rifle instead.
>>
Get a remage barrel and savage tools, and a go/no-go guage set in your choice of cal.

Having a barrel installed by a gunsmith will eat your lunch. Installing remage barrel at home... Way the hell cheaper.
>>
>>29478329
That's not true at all.
Op could spend half the money on a rifle that will meet or exceed his expectations out of the box instead of purchasing a rifle that requires $500 worth of work by a competent gunsmith just to make sure it's fucking square.
This is double true if OP plan to build a rifle himself, which it sounds like he shouldn't do.
There's a reason you almost never see a factory Remington action at any kind of match, they're pure shit nowadays. Even the premium line like the MLR .338lm are atrocious.
>>
>>29478865
Should have done a Howa 1500.
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 640x480
>>29478914
Howa, savage, tikka, sako, Ruger, FNH all make better rifles in the same price range as the remshit.

If op just wants an action there's even more options, you can buy a brand new surgeon action for around $1100 and that is literally a Godtier action.
>>
>>29478329
I don't find shut up to be much of an argument.

Do you do F class shoots? Because I do. And like another anon mentioned a Howa targetmaster/1500, Sako/Tikka will net you much better results and a good bit cheaper than a remington base gun. The 700 model was at the top only in public opinion back before remington bought up. Now they fall far behind their contemporaries.
>>
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 400x400
>>29475969
For scope I'd say you're basically perfect. The mark 4 LR/T is a world class optic, I personally like a little more magnification but youll be fine out to 1000. Great glass on the 3.5-10.
>picture is from snipershide review
>>
>>29478329
A 300 dollar savage from Walmart can meet, if not exceed, a new Remington. You're literally paying for a name.
>>
>>29478157
Thank you.
>>29478301
Hunting for the most part, and I chose varmint barrel because I heard that if I get a lightweight barrel I could wander after a few shots due to heat.
>>29478329
I do want to spend the dough, I realize this may end up being a 4000 dollar gun, or more, but all my bills are paid, so most of my income is disposable.
>>29478690
Hunting deer, but since I'll be in dense forest, probably won't be able to see past 300 yards anyways.
>>29478736
I looked at rifles, and none of them had exactly what I wanted, and since I wanted to replace most parts anyway, this is cheaper.
>>29478770
Thank you.
>>
>>29478865
I see, I didn't know this, so even the recievers are bad? Because that was going to be the only factory part.
>>
>>29481558
you don't seem like you even know what you want. you'll most likely end up paying the price of a really good rifle except you'll end up with a frankenturd and lots of wasted time. get a tikka and replace the stock if you like.
>>
>>29481600
Yes... That's by and large the most shitty part requiring the most amount of work.
You really should research this more... Savage has a line of $700-$1200 'tactical' bolt rifles that will do everything you want and then some for 1/4 the price out of the box.

You're going to spend $3,000-$6,000 all in all for a rifle that can be easily be replaced by a $1000 setup.
>>
>>29482596
not only that, but if you are wanting a hunting rifle, why build a 10lbs rifle?

If you want a tactical or target rifle, sure.

but my ideal hunting rifle is 6 lbs. and doesn't need a detachable box mag. and would have a no 3 or no 4 sporter contour. with a 3-9 scope. in the sfp crosshair
>>
Lots of people trying to lie through their teeth to the OP. Look at top shooters. 30% have crazy expensive custom actions. The remainder have trued rem700s. Ill shit all over a tikka/sako/savage/anything with my 700 all day. I dont care how much money they put into their polished turd.
>>
>>29482680
The important thing to remember when you're hunting is that you're ideally taking one shot.
Any thermal distortion you'll see with a hunting rifle will occur after 3-5rds in rapid succession, unless you're hunting heards of buffalo or hogs it's a non issue.

Op I highly recommend you look at a few rifle lines to really see if there isn't something from a factory that suites your needs/taste.

>howa's catalogue
http://www.legacysports.com/catalog/mobile/index.html#p=2

>savage catalogue
http://m.savagearms.com/#/firearms/list/

>tikka catalogue
http://www.tikka.fi/sites/default/files/Tikka_Rifles_catalogue_2015.pdf

>Sako catalogue
http://www.sako.fi/sites/default/files/Sako_Rifles_catalogue_2015.pdf

>FNH catalogue
http://www.fnamerica.com/files/2313/8912/0037/FNHUSA_2014ProductCatalog.pdf

>Kimber catalogue
http://www.kimberamerica.com/media/wysiwyg/catalog-download/2014-KimberCatalog.pdf
>>
In all reality OP any cheap turd rifle will meet your need for deer hunting inside 500yards. Its all shooter inside that range.
>>
>>29475937

get one of them magpul hunter stocks.
>>
>>29482979
I wouldn't call a $1000 receiver 'crazy expensive'.
Do you have any source for that percentage or did you just pull it out of your ass like every other percentage on this board?
I'll give you a hint, there's more winners using stock savages than any other stock rifle.
>>
>>29482979
When has a factory Remington, let alone an entire team of factory rifles ever won the bisley cup, totaling 14 awards?
>remshit is just shit

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2009/08/savage-f-tr-team-world-beaters-on-a-budget/
>>
>>29482680
The primary purpose is hunting, but I also want to be able to do target shooting, so I need something that will pull double duty.
>>29483012
I'll be hunting deer mostly, but I'd also like to be able to hunt hogs, as they are a nuisance at my grandparents house in the south.
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 736x402) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 736x402
>>29483195
Look through the catalogues.
Howa & savage both offer a rifle that's basically tailored to your needs, the howa scout & savage hog rifle respectively. The only thing I'd consider changing on those two rifles would be the stocks.
>pic related, Howa scout .308

What kind of target shooting are you doing? The only time you really need a dedicated precision rifle is when you're shooting Fclass or similar types of competition.
>>
Promise any decent remington will shit on a high dollar savage.
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 552x301) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 552x301
>>29483263
Promises are worth about 2ยข compared to gold medals.

>high dollar savage
>$1200
You act like Remington's entire line is $700...

http://benchrest.com/archive/index.php/t-51200.html

http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10894

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/08/team-savage-does-well-in-can-am-fullbore-matches/
>>
:D :D :D love the remington fan boys. I work in the industry and remington pathetic. the fuckery of their QC is sad. Savage is a much better gun from a much better company if you only have $500 to spend. There is a ton of rifles that will poop on remingtons factory to factory and most likely modded but that brings to many variables. T/C, sakko, AI, Browning, Weatherby, even the new ruger precision rifles. remington a dinosaur.
>>
I must be reading this wrong. I cant find howa, savage, tikka or any other mentioned rifle action on this well known and highly respected pages article.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/11/05/custom-rifle-actions/
>>
File: image.png (67 KB, 640x505) Image search: [Google]
image.png
67 KB, 640x505
>>29483542
>custom actions
Funny how there's not a single factory Remington either.

Can we please not turn OPs somewhat helpful thread into the same tired debate we've had since 2004.
>>
>this entire thread
lel

>op buys 1 part of a rifle from Remington as part of a custom build
>OMG REMINGTON RIFLES SUCK
>OP SHOULD FEEL BAD
>BRAND X RIFLES ARE BETTER THAN REMINGTON
>>
File: Remington Quality.jpg (321 KB, 1024x1577) Image search: [Google]
Remington Quality.jpg
321 KB, 1024x1577
>>29483263
>>
File: Custom-Action-468x645.png (46 KB, 468x645) Image search: [Google]
Custom-Action-468x645.png
46 KB, 468x645
Funny how you didnt read the entire article.
>>
>>29483621
except those are all based on the remington 700 foorprint...
>>
>>29483340
You have got to be the biggest shill for Savage.
>>
>>29483666
So 5-10 shooters now represent a majority of shooters world wide?
How many of those 5-10 shooters in this single series actually won with there remshit?
How many of those R700 shooters had a factory action?
How many other disciplines top shooters see wins with Remington?
How many gold medals have been won with factory Remington's in this single discipline?

>How can you not comprehend Remington is sub par compared to literally every other precision rifle manufacturer.
>>
That ackward moment when a savage fag cant read.
>>
>>29483819
That awkward moment when there's more shooters on team savage than there are R700 users in that survey.
>>
>>29483858
I didn't see Savage on any of those PRS posts above.
>>
That ackward moment when you have more shooters and none of them are in the top tier.
>>
If I have the choice between a h&s precision, and a bell and carlson stock, which should I go with?
>>
>>29483958
HS Precision and B&C stocks are both made of a combination of compound materials in there resin. Both use fiberglass and graphite, while HS also has kevlar and carbon fiber to reinforce the structure. HS molds are going to be a lot more consistent as well, requiring little work to be done to the actual stock to get it to fit or freefloat. I recommend if you do go with HS to change out the recoil pad because the standard rubber pad is as hard as a rock. Also B&C's customer service is ass.
>>
>>29483884
>>29483913
Funny how those "top shooters" are in a single discipline... The precision rifle series.
Not Fclass
Not F/TR
Not 300yd benchrest
Not 600yd benchrest
Not 800yd benchrest
Not 1000yd benchrest
Not 1000yd Palma
Not 1500yd Palma

Like I said, what 5-10 shooters were using 2 years ago now make up a majority of the worlds top shooters across all disciplines according to /k/.

>>29483958
H&S makes some amazing stocks, not that cheap tho.
B&C have one of the best affordable stocks I've ever used.
>>
>>29484017
>>29484018
Looks like I'll be going with h&s then, thank you.
>>
>>29484303
Can't go wrong.
H&S made the original M24 stocks, they have a proven track record to say the least.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.