[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fuck AR manufacturers, they all try way too fucking hard to be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: 1456209879701.jpg (3 MB, 3072x1728) Image search: [Google]
1456209879701.jpg
3 MB, 3072x1728
Fuck AR manufacturers, they all try way too fucking hard to be the ultimate COD/Tactical/Mall-ninja rifle. All but a few fail at being "the very best." They all pretty much ignore the innate weight and balance advantages of the AR-15 platform. There's basically no off-the-shelf AR's in older patterns. Despite there being 200+ companies, your choices are limited to low end M4 clones, or AR's with 50 rails, and absolutely no attention paid to balance or handling.

This is why I'm into AKs, at least there's some fucking variety. Ak's you can readily get a rifle that approximates every common pattern, AK-47/Milled, AKM, AK-74, Yugo, AK-100, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love my BCM/DD AR-15's, but it'd be nice to have some options. All I want is a fucking simple handy AR-15 with some god-damned iron's, yet the market is fucking barren.
>>
>waghh waghh waghh bitch piss moan waghh im stuck in the 80's waghhh fucking mall niggers waghhh muh carry handles

You're a fucking idiot, shush, noguns
>>
File: 1443621081644.jpg (119 KB, 981x654) Image search: [Google]
1443621081644.jpg
119 KB, 981x654
>>29471375
FN15 rifle
>>
>>29471375
>Buy an AR
>Mount irons
>????
I don't see what's so hard about that. You can configure it how you like
Also
>This is why I'm into AKs, at least there's some fucking variety.
>32 shades of cold war surplus AK with iron sights
>variety
>>
>>29471402
A4's are ok, but the gov't profile barrel balances like shit, and the extra weight at the front does nothing regarding heat. Also the A1 LOP is better for off hand shooting. The A2 grip nub is annoying. The A2 style sights are pretty nice, but the earlier A1 style is about on par.
>>
>>29471444
RPK, Krinkov, and PSL's all handle quite differently. 1.5mm, 1mm, and milled receivers all have pros and cons.
>>
>>29471444
>You can configure it how you like

Not OP, but part of what makes me snore over AR's is this fact.

BCM ads are a great example. It's two diagrams of "Look at all this shit you can stick on your rifle."

Not to say I don't understand the value of attachments, but I'm so tired of being beaten over the head with this fact. We get it. How about you get on with creating a version that I actually like, instead of making more shit to stick on it.
>>
>>29471446
You can totally get a pencil barreled upper and slap it on a lower. That's the reason to do ARs, you can have anything and everything just how you want it.
>>
>>29471444
>>32 shades of cold war surplus AK with iron sights

>UltimAK tube
>Zenit rails
>Magpul handguards
>MWI Keymod handguards

I think part of what he is saying is that he embraces individuality like a hipster. Each rail system option has a different aesthetic to go with its function, while 95% of AR handguards look the same.
>>
TBQH I would cum for a chrome lined slab side AR with fixed carry handle with a 1/12 twist but I'm broke. All I have is my PSA 16 inch pencil profile with a rail and bayonet, 1/7 twist. ;_;
>>
Just build your own, jackass.
>>
>shits up /arg/ with this shit then makes a thread
lmao
>>
File: 20150720_223122.jpg (869 KB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
20150720_223122.jpg
869 KB, 2560x1536
>>29471375
Rock river arms sells good a2's
>>
>>29471483
Barrel profiles, triggers, and sights really affect how the gun shoots. Having 50 different clamp on attachments is dumb. A rifle isn't a fucking multi-tool.
>>
File: m16a1 style ar15.jpg (49 KB, 800x259) Image search: [Google]
m16a1 style ar15.jpg
49 KB, 800x259
>>29471375
>>
>>29471375
The A1's handguards were shit and broke after a while of use. The flash hider was poorly thought out for prone usage. Grip varies, but I thought it was better than the A2 poker-grip. Nonadjustable length of pull is inferior unless the stock is the perfect length for you and your shooting conditions are static always. Shitty optic choices for the A1 carry handle means that you don't get much to choose from when getting your rifle to fit you best. Terrible options for foregrip or bipod, so you're stuck with a non-freefloated handguard that can affect the point of impact slightly with changing conditions.

If you want a fucking retro AR, build the damned thing or buy a Colt SP1 and move on with your life. The AK evolved a shitload, too. And Yugos are objectively retarded with their proprietary bullshit and lack of chrome lining to harden the barrel. Could be fixed with nitriding, but it's still not as good as a high quality steel with the same treatment.
>>
>>29471375
this is what we call a tactifudd
>>
>>29471554
>A rifle isn't a fucking multi-tool.

I'll agree with you to an extent, because no one can argue effective range.

The rifle should be as multi-function as is practical. I'm not saying it's acceptable to have 10lbs of shit stuck on the rifle. I do, however, endorse QD attachments and offset sights for this reason.
>>
>>29471565
I already have dedicated rifles with high end optics. I wan't something simple, without the bullshit. Not every rifle has to have a scope.
>>
>>29471547
>1:8 twist
>good
>>
>>29471590
build it
>>
>>29471590
Buy an SP1 or get a parts kit and A1 clone lower and quit bitching. Just because you want them to do the work for you doesn't mean they have to comply, faggot.

You're literally complaining about nothing.
>>
>>29471594
The only twist worth owning imo

Can reliably shoot 50-52gr to 77-80 grain projectiles depending on powder

1in9 will only do 75max
1in7 or 1in6.5 can fuck light bullets
>>
>>29471375
Why is that rifle's upper blue?
>>
>>29471628
Can you link me to a study or experiment about wist rates? I am stuck with 1/7 and want to know why my shit is fucked with 55grain at 100 yards when ARG is telling me its a negligible issue.
>>
>>29471375
Fulton Armory
>>
File: Twist_VS_Grain.jpg (104 KB, 762x331) Image search: [Google]
Twist_VS_Grain.jpg
104 KB, 762x331
>>29471677
here ia a real dumbed down chart
>>
>>29471530
I'd rather not wasn't time learning how to build a thing I can get prebuilt.
>>
>>29471731
you sicken me
>>
>>29471731

I want to have this attitude myself, but I keep thinking I would be better off putting it together on my own. Then I get exactly what I want.
>>
>>29471677
No I can't

But I have only had problems with keyholing with 50gr projectiles with 26.5 gr of varget out of a 1in8

They work find in cold weather but about 1 in 3 fucks up (keyholes) in the summer, 25gr works without issue

I have only put a couple boxes of 55gr through my 1in7 without issue, but 62gr - 75 would be better if your experiencing problems
>>
>>29471703
>FAR-15 Legacy Rifle Upper
>yes
>>
>>29471731
disgusting
>>
>>29471758
I have done bought 150 rounds of 55grain and nothing else is around me. Inb4 buy it online I'm under 21. Every retailer says I cant buy.
>>
>>29471483
>How about you get on with creating a version that I actually like

Well I'm glad to see that you AND OP are legit mentally deficient. The biggest draw of the platform is that the end user can make the rifle any way they want it.That mean old school receivers, moderators,triangle forends and pencil barrels too. If they two of you are so upset that you can't buy a XM16E1 or SP1 at Walmart then feel free to die with a shitcaked ass because nobody wipes it for you
>>
>>29471801
ive bought thousands of rounds online, they never ask for id. im under 21 too
>>
>>29471375
You can literally pick

>barrel profile
>barrel material
>barrel twist
>barrel thread
>muzzle device
>DI or Piston
>different gas system lengths
>surpressed and/or unsuppressed gas systems
>handguard length
>handguard material
>handguard design
>rail design
> optic or lack thereof
>carry handle or lack thereof
>sling attachment location
>sling attachment options
> buffer tube length
>buffer weight
>butt stock material
>butt stock size and shape
> folding/telescoping/fixed butt stock
> lower and upper receiver material
>lower and upper receiver weight
> bolt material
>bolt design
> BCG material
>BCG design
> trigger group
> safety style and material
> bolt catch design and material
> mag release design and material
>charging handle location, design, and material
> dust cover design and material/ lack thereof
> forward assist design and material/ lack thereof
>any accessory and mounting option your tiny brain could possibly ever conceive
>shit loads of different calibers
>All of these things in the color of your choice.

What more do you want, sperglord?

I can make a carbine that weighs 5 lbs and is less than 2 feet long and shoots 458 socom, or I can make a rifle that's fucking 3 feet long with adjustable risers and a match trigger that's Sub MOA that shoots 6.5 grendel, OR I can make a fucking battle rifle that shoots 308 and has nothing special about it whatsoever.

Complaining that the AR doesn't gives you no options to do what you want because they're too busy making stuff you don't want just means you're too lazy to look for it and want to be spoon fed.
>>
>>29471731
It's a fucking Lego gun. If you take the thing apart to clean it, you're 90% of the way there to knowing how to put one together.
I know this is just shitposting, I'm just replying because SOMEONE is reading this who actually thinks that shit.
>>
>>29471801
Try American eagle if you can find it
Or any milsurp 55gr, just buy 1 box at a time, see what works
It might not just be that it's 55gr, it maybe going too fast, due to the powder combination. When I slowed mine down a bit the keyholing disappeared

Avoid really cheap shit "if possible"
Drive to a different town
>>
>>29471854
Every round is American Eagle, I thought it was worth getting. In the town over is Tulamo .223 . . .
>>
>>29471893
Varmint or fmj
Flat base vs boat tail

That is usually considered 1moa ammo
>>
>>29471918
If you have a Walmart see if they have xacto or whatever that ppu stuff is for 30rounds for $10
>>
File: 1459186152349.jpg (54 KB, 679x516) Image search: [Google]
1459186152349.jpg
54 KB, 679x516
>>29471483
>waaah why can't you make more versions

having modularity requires a consistent platform you shitfuck. what would you want? no foward assist? there are slick uppers. pistol wells? they exist. can you actually explain your shit please? seriously. HOW DO YOU WANT MORE GUNS BUT LESS VARIATION?
>>
>>29471677

1:7 should shoot fine at 100 yds with 55gr. Sure there are better twists for that grain weight but at 100 yards? It should be fine.
>>
>>29471402
Is it better than the colt ar15a4?
>>
>>29471375
you would think with the retro market being the way it is Colt would bring back the SP1.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.