[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are you allowed to legally shoot someone in self defense? Like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 7
File: image.png (32 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
image.png
32 KB, 633x758
Are you allowed to legally shoot someone in self defense? Like if I was standing outside someone's house in the pitch black middle of the night waiting for a ride or something and someone walks up to me and I step away and point my gun at them and say "sorry I don't know you so you stay away from me" and they step towards me can I shoot them?

If someone is drunk and I'm just talking to them normal and all of a sudden I say something that makes them flip out and they start talking about fighting me. Can I step back a few steps and pull my gun out and get in a firing position and warn them if they come near me I'll shoot and they step towards me can I shoot?
>>
Probably
>>
No, self defense is illegal. Anyone that says otherwise is a federal agent attempting to set you up.
>>
Not in either of those situations, wtf

I pray you don't CC
>>
>>29458430
So when the fuck can you do it? After someone's already punching you in the face trying to rape you and probably has you on the ground and grabbing your gun while you're trying to get the safety off?

How the fuck can you not shoot someone if they walk towards you in the dark or with violent intentions when you tell them not to? What's the point of self defense if you have to sit there and get attacked before you can even do shit
>>
>>29458441
Pretty much. In NH, which is pretty good about this stuff, there has to be a clear threat of death or serious bodily harm to yourself or someone else. Firearms self defense is considered a last resort option to prevent rape, seirous injury, or death.

So it has to be someone threatening to kill you, and have the means to do it, I.e. a knife or gun
>>
>>29458467
Well you said prevent bodily harm and if someone is threatening to fight me and then they step towards me they are obviously going to fight me

If someone is approaching me alone in the dark when I tell them to back off they obviously don't have good intentions and no ones going to pull out a knife until they are up close

What if there's multiple people
>>
Here in calicuck it's basically only if you or some other innocent person are going to be seriously wounded / killed if you do not shoot
>>
>>29458441
Both of those examples would be fine to draw imo, if it seems shady it probably is.

Also never let some punk try and fistfight you, dudes die every single day with one punch knocking them out and they smack their heads on the ground.

Don't let some dumb shit on the internet tell you that you can't figure out if something is shady and react in kind.
>>
>>29458486
That's what I'm saying someone could come punch me while I'm holding my gun up and then they could either grab my gun or start stomping on my face and I bleed out and die alone in the dark whereas if I shot them center mass they would stay alive and be able to call an ambulance
>>
>>29458483
How the hell do you know if you're going to be hurt or not without it being too late? The only time literally anyone says they are going to kill you is if they are robbing you with a knife to your face alreaxyb
>>
>>29458481
Anon, you're autistic.
Think of this in a way where you're in a Jury and the defendent has only his own testimony to say it was self defense in a position where he didnt retreat, no bruises or any damage, and where Jamal is dead without any presence of weapons. And Jamal is white you racist.
>>
>>29458522
There you go again, clouding the issue with facts.
>>
>>29458481
SERIOUS bodily harm. As in, you'll be in the hospital for a couple weeks if it happens. Not just some frat boy throwing punches.

Best way to think about it is, how am I going to justify the death of another person to a jury of 12 people? How can I prove that I NEEDED to kill this man to stop the threat
>>
>>29458524
The reason I don't have injuries is because I shot them...

Why would I randomly shoot a stranger in the dark? And I can tell the police that they were standing in x position when I told them not to walk towards me and they're body is laying in y position because they kept walking towards me and I felt threatened

Also you guys are all assuming a single shot is a death sentence they will more than likely be alive and I'd probably call authorities after and say this guy was either approaching me without talking or threatening to fight me and I didn't know if they were stronger or not but they have a bullet hole
>>
>>29458536
Well how the hell do you prevent a rape then? If you wait to shoot they already have grabbed both your arms and probably found your gun and will just throw it
>>
File: 1458790409852.jpg (16 KB, 365x450) Image search: [Google]
1458790409852.jpg
16 KB, 365x450
Reminder that you should spend the rest of the day watching massad ayoob videos on youtube.

You will gain more information doing that than asking here on google+
>>
>>29458441
The point is that we're not trusting egocentric little cowards with deciding who needs to be shot.
>>
>>29458549
What if they're just walking down the street and you happen to be in the way?
are you gona make them cross just to be sure?
>>
>>29458566
Again you're assuming that a single bullet is a death sentence it would be enough to stop them in their tracks while I call the cops
>>
>>29458577
No dumb fuck that's a crowded street I mean if you're standing out somewhere dark and waiting for a ride and there's a single house nearby no lights or anyone else and they just start walking up to you and you draw your gun and just say sorry i don't know you and I'm waiting for a ride so can you just leave
>>
>>29458536
DO NOT TAKE ADVICE FROM THIS MORONIC FAGGOT

If you live in a free state the most you'd need is the reasonable thought that you were under threat of bodily harm.

Punches thrown by "frat boys" have put into a coma/killed more people than you can count.

DO NOT get into a fist fight if you can help it, real life isn't the fucking movies.
>>
>>29458536
And since courts are human and thus fallible, also ask yourself if it's worth getting nailed for manslaughter if they get things wrong.
>>
>>29458565
This
Buy this book too.
>>
>>29458591
Where did I say crowded street? Can someone not walk down the street at night without bad intent? if they're walking towards you across the street then sure assume the worst.
>>
>>29458583
Are you implying that no one has ever been killed with a single gunshot?
Or are you implying that a single gunshot has always stopped a threat?
>>
>>29458619
A single gun shot is probably just as fatal as a random assault
>>
>>29458616
No I mean if you're alone in the pitch black with no one around but that one person and they came out of their house to come at you

You're retarded because a street in town with a sidewalk has buildings and other people around and shit there's not really any sidewalks or random people walk g where there's no street lights or houses
>>
>>29458549
>I felt threatened

Fuck your feelings.

There must be an actual threat for it to be self defence. If you simply feel threatened, then get a pacifier instead.
>>
>>29458643
If its pitch black then what the fuck will a mugger care about there being buildings and houses nearby?

and yeah if somebody randomly comes out their house up to you then you can be ready to draw.
>>
>>29458549
>why would I shoot stranger in dark
Implying that no one has ever been shot I'm the dark
>more likely to be alive
>>implying

>police investigate
>position x's and y's are so vague that it could be a random shooting or self defense
>jury finds out
>defendant can't prove its self defense
>defendant is convicted of 2nd degree murder
>>
>>29458655
Fuck that noise, maybe that's required in whatever bullshit state you're from but around here If some shady punk is walking up to me at night with nobody around then I'm gonna pull out my gun at the very least.
>>
>>29458711
Sounds like a quick way to get yourself shot
>>
>>29458727
Yes, mugging armed men at night is indeed a good way to get shot
>>
>>29458711
Look out people, we've got ourselves a real, live Internet tough guy here.
>>
>>29458737
>implying they won't be armed aswell
>>
>>29458395

from what you said it sounds like in the first situation you drew for no damn good reason and may have in fact instigated something in your paranoia. If I am correct you really should not be cc'ing
>>
what the fuck has happened
>>
>be random pedestrian
>walking home late at night after volunteering at a soup kitchen for homeless kittens
>notice in the pale glow of a street lamp ahead, some guy is shuffling uneasily
>as I get closer, realize he is mumbling incoherently under his breath
>he notices me, starts staring like a deer in headlights
>see dark patch form on his trousers
>sweat forming on his brow, he manages to cough out "I-Im waiting for a ride"
>okay, good for you I guess.
>suddenly pulls gun out of nowhere, while shouting "I d-dont know you, p-please leave"
>raise hands to show I'm unarmed, don't want to escalate the situation
>is that a spaghetti stain on his coat?
>tweaker magdumps into my chest
>I bleed out on the cold tarmac while a gentle rain cascades softly down
>troubled youth explains to cops that he was justified in killing me because "it was dark" and "I didn't know who he was"
>prison
OP, taking into account your advocacy for drawing on random passersby, would you describe yourself as a well-adjusted individual?
>>
>>29458737
Dude it's no fucking hope, the majority of people on /k/ right now are either unemployed liberal trash or euro scum that want to make you feel bad for attempting to defend yourself.

Come back later
>>
Jesus fuck my ass
>>
>>29458780
ive always wanted the name hugo
>>
Jesus fuck my ass again.
>>
The bottom line is, if you are sure somebody if threatening your life you can draw, if not and you draw anyway, you are now threatening their life.
>>
>>29458796
>feel bad for defending yourself against someone who was walking towards you in a very scary scary way
>>ban assault walking
>>
>>29458395
The bottom line is if they're white, they're probably alright.

If they're a nigger pull the trigger.

This will be accurate 99.9% of the time.
>>
>>29458796
>OP vaguely explains a retarded situation where he wants to shoot someone because of muh feels
>/k/ explains to him why it's retarded and how it would most likely be received by the public

>>bunc-ch of li-libruls
>>
>>29458872
>/k/ explains

Reddit explains*
>>
>>29458441
What do you think the situation was with zim zam? Be prepared to get fucked with the lawsuit after if you draw and shoot in that situation you described
>>
>>29458886
Great retort
>>29458794
Also kek
>>
>>29458888
This is why I bought one of those money print hipoints in a private sale.

Always carry one to plant just in case.
>>
>>29458678
>be a girl
>guy starts walking up to you in the dark with no one else around
>>
>>29458919
Is OP a girl?
>>
>>29458949
I'm assuming the situation for both genders

Are girls allowed to pull guns more often?
>>
>>29458956
>>29458919
>>29458919
>guy walking up to you
>the mere presence of walking is threatening
>>on a slim concrete path that the girl is also on

If a person is really that afraid, I think crossing the street would be a better way to determine their intent
>>
>>29458956
Probably more likely to get away with it atleast
>>
>>29458956
check your fucking privilege, dick
>>
>>29458974
No retard I'll say it again

You're not on a sidewalk you're in the middle of nowhere with just trees around and shit and a single person starts walking up behind you
>>
>>29458796
See
>>29458611
T. The liberal trans person who posted it.
>>
>>29458987
Goddamn that's vague as fuck
This is worse than the
>1,000 WW1 soldiers vs 100,000 crusaders
threads
>>
>>29458989
The mentally ill shouldn't be allowed to own guns
>>
>>29458987
>just waiting to get picked up in the middle of nowhere with just trees around

can you just lay out your situation in clear detail? what exactly are you doing, where are you standing, whats around you, where the person comes from.
>>
>>29459028
What's it matter? You're in the middle of a bunch of trees next to a road waiting for a ride and some stranger starts walking up behind you and you turn around and kindly ask them to keep some space because you don't know

No street lights it's black at barely any cars going by no houses

I live in an area where I see places like that all the time
>>
>>29458395
Depends on the state. Some have Stand Your Ground laws intended for that sort of thing, others will need you to take it up with a jury.
>>
>>29459045
If you are SURE that they are walking towards with malicious intent then sure, if not and they're just passing over then you're gona look autistic.
>>
>>29459045
>kindly ask them to keep some space because you don't know them
>while waving a gun in their face
>cant fathom why people see this behavior as aberrant and unjustified
>>
>>29459075
Ok fine I'll ask to stay away one time with no gun. They keep walking. I pull gun and say please stay. They keep walking towards me. What do I do now?
>>
>>29458549
First, you tell the po po nothing.

Second, take a ccw class you soon to be felon.
>>
>>29459074
I don't have to be sure of anything because I can't read minds, if you walk up to me in the middle of nowhere not responding and acting shady then I'm going to take my gun out and make it known to bother another dude.

This is simple shit and completely legal.
>>
>>29459097
Shoot yourself in the fucking head because you're a giant faggot.
>>
>>29459116
So if he's dead just say he was saying a bunch of weird shit and wouldn't stop coming towards me and it looked like he was tweaking on drugs?
>>
>>29459126
So why make this thread?
>>
>>29458655
>There must be an actual threat for it to be self defence.
This is the case in no US state, and no European country for that matter, because it is de facto impossible for a victim to distinguish between "an actual threat" and "a fake threat" in the extent that you dumbass autists require.

The victims feelings are literally what makes or breaks a self-defense case.
>>
>>29459136
Hoping for an echo chamber circlejerk.
>>
>>29459097
Blow their ass to allah
>>
>>29459097
Anon you can do whatever the fuck you want, just know that it will be very, very difficult to prove it was self defense.
>>
>>29459132
Nope. Let the cops deal with the dead dindu and your only response to police questioning is "I'd like to speak with a lawyer".
>>
>>29459159
So what's the point of getting a gun for self defense when I can only use it in if I'm in a scuffle and have to fight over the gun with the person like some movie shit
>>
>>29459145
somebody walks right up to you
somebody pulls a knife out
somebody pulls a gun out

seems pretty easy to know if somebody wants to hurt you
>>
>>29459136
..I didn't make the thread you wonky cunt.
>>
>>29459172
If someone wants to hurt you they aren't going to walk up to you with a knife they're going to act nice and wait until you turn your back
>>
>>29459172
Dont waste your breath.
If OP was remotely capable of reading the mood, he wouldn't have made this thread to start with.
>>
>>29459193
so just pull a gun on everyone no matter how friendly they act :^)
>>
Luckily I live in a free state where brandishing isn't even a thing, closest thing would be menacing and that's a night in jail at most.

Feels good
>>
>>29459218
I'm saying if you're like a chick in the middle of nowhere with a person just walking up to you
>>
>>29459267
If you honestly believe the dude is about to fuck with you then draw, if that doesn't deter him then shoot.

Simple.
>>
>>29459289
>>29459262
Double Wilfreds fuck yeah
>>
>>29459267
>hopelessly lost in countryside
>wandering long empty roads
>see girl standing by road
>approach for directions
>"Howdy stranger, you wouldn't happen to know the way to-
>*blam blam blam*
Okay
>>
>>29459170
In this incredibly vague situation, it will be extremely difficult to prove it was selfdefence. It will be erroneous to claim it to be similar with detailed self defense cases
>>
>>29459306
I don't need directions and I'm not shooting unless you get in my shit
>>
>>29459310
But if you report a rape it's too vague to try the dude. So you're just fucked
>>
>>29459328
read it again
>>
>>29459346
Ok I'll say no I don't know please leave I'm getting a ride
>>
>>29459340
>report rape
>Police investigate
>your word against his

>>No conviction

Or
>police investigate
>actually find evidence of rape

Conviction

Yes anon this is how the world works
>>
>>29459355
"Can I wait and ask your friend for directions then ma'am?"
>>
>>29459370
No one gets convicted of rape

Ever
>>
>>29459379
Yeah if you want a fucking gun pointed to your head
>>
>>29459388
"Woah okay then fine I'll keep walking you crazy bitch"
>>
>>29459145
>>29459145
Do you believe that this should be applied to the police where they shoot dogs because feel threatened?
>>
File: image.jpg (613 KB, 1439x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
613 KB, 1439x1936
>>29459381
>implying
>>
>>29459394
Yeah thats pretty much exactly what a mugger would say.

Good job ma'am, you're vigilance has thwarted a rape/mugging, keep it up.
>>
>>29459435
98% of rapists are not convicted
>>
>>29459442
Better than chancing it for a stranger who the fuck asks for directions like who do you know in this day and age that doesn't have 4g
>>
>>29459442
Nobody got shot, nobody got raped

Handled the situation well
>>
>>29459449
I thought no one ever gets convicted of rape?
>>
>>29459480
The original situation was outlined as a guy legitimately lost but yeah take no chances if you're a girl
>>
>>29459480
>No matter where I am I can always count on my phone to have a signal

You city faggots really cannot comprehend actually being in the middle of fucking nowhere can you?

But yes don't trust a stranger on foot in the middle of nowhere asking for directions.
>>
>>29459520
I'm op and rural and the one who posted that

I'm 6 hours from a major city and have 4g almost always if not if I walked about half a mile id get service somewhere

I have 4 bars and lte active right now
>>
>>29459539
>What is battery life
>>
>>29459546
Ok if a person is walking around the middle of nowhere with a dead phone they won't ask for directions they'll be aggressively pushing you to give them a ride into town
>>
>>29459539
I live in the suburbs outside of a mid sized city and there are a few directions I could start driving and not have ANY signal for fucking hours.

There's rural and then there's just nothingness where nobody can be bothered to put up cell towers because nobody fucking cares.
>>
>>29459573
Plus I have an outdated iPhone and my battery will stay good all day long as long as I don't play around with it all day

I can fall asleep with it at 10 percent and I wake up and it's still alive
>>
>>29459579
Yeah I live rural and I always have service there's one town where there's no service but they've been putting cell phone towers all over out here because the land is cheap

6 hours from a major city
>>
>>29459581
so thats the same for everyone then?
>>
>>29459594
Well if you don't have an iPhone and you're out in the middle of nowhere I would suggest you carry an extra battery in your wallet and I'm sorry
>>
>>29458395
Depends on the state.

It's well established that if you draw your gun and someone comes toward you its ok to shoot them, but generally only if you were justified in drawing your gun.

In WA you can draw your gun once someone has threatened you with unlawful force, so not the first situation, in that situation they can actually kill you legally, but in the second situation maybe.
>>
>>29459620
No idea what it's like in other states.
>>
>>29459620
Why would someone come to you saying "wait until I get to you I'm going attack you"
>>
>>29459620
Basically the same here, as long as YOU reasonably think somebody is posing gross bodily harm to either you or someone else you are allowed to return with deadly force.

It's more or less the same everywhere, most states have legal protections for people that shoot in self defense.
>>
>>29459675
Shit, in Texas you can shoot somebody whos stealing shit even if you know they aren't posing a threat to you.

Know the laws of your state amigo.
>>
>>29458481
Jesus Christ, anon, watch this AYY rab
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j4PS_8R5IE
>>
>>29458422
This
>>
>>29458395
You can only legally shoot when the penis in your ass is at its apex tumescence
>>
>>29458395
That first situation makes you sound like Bobby Hill going "That's my purse, I don't know you." It also makes you sound like a liberal idea of a gun owner, ready to shoot anyone that gets even a little too close to them. I feel like you would have a very hard time defending yourself in court when you shot someone for just stepping in your direction. If they threatened you or tried to harm you then I would find that understandable but drawing an imaginary line in the sand in public and just shooting anyone who happens to cross it wouldn't fly in most places. Hell, if you're standing outside someone's home it could be the homeowner asking what the fuck you're doing there. Overall, it's too vague a situation to really make a call but I don't think you'd be justified in shooting someone for being close to you.

The second situation sounds like a much more reasonable call for self defense.
>>
File: Dasbait.jpg (2 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
Dasbait.jpg
2 KB, 125x125
>>
>>29458441
Getting into a fist fight does not mean you can draw and fire on someone. If you honestly believe that the person is attempting to kill/seriously injure you (meaning not a black eye) then you can.
>>
>>29458794
>I bleed out on the cold tarmac while a gentle rain cascades softly down
beautifully written
also kek
>>
>>29458395
If you feel like your life is in danger, yes. And do not pull your gun on someone unless you are planning to shoot it.
>>
>>29458919
>Be guy
>Happen to be walking the opposite way on a street from a girl

Clearly a rapist, shoot to kill.
>>
>>29458987
>OH MY GOD THERE'S SOMEONE BEHIND ME WITH A SLIGHTLY FASTER GAIT.
>HELP, HELP, POLICE!

You should probably just not leave your home.
>>
>>29458502
Center mass has a high probability of killing them, dumbass

Which is exactly the point. You don't even draw, much less shoot, until the situation has reached the point of "I need to kill this person if I want to live to see tomorrow"

There's none of this shoot to wound shit. You can't guarantee any single gunshot won't be fatal so you have to assume, from a legal standpoint, that you are going to die unless the threat does first.

Likewise, you cannot draw until you know that NOT doing so will result in a high likelihood of you dying
>>
>>29458611

>what's new in guns and gear

>in a book with a 1911 on the cover
>>
>>29458441

> someone just walking towards you because OP suffers from severe Autism and spaghetti fits

> getting raped and beaten to death

ya totally equivalent anon well pointed out you fucking dunce
>>
>>29458549

Jesus fucking christ, OP please take a fucking CC course, you are a fucking danger legitimately if you think like that.

People like you are why I have to have a face to face meeting with my PD's chief twice for my license.

I really hope no one is this fucking stupid.
>>
>>29463280
Imagine how dumb the average asshome is and they are dumber then that.
>>
>>29458395
They need to have in thier possession a lethal weapon drawn. Otherwise it's against the law to use a lethal weapon on them. That means if someone is beating the shit out of you with their fists you're not allowed to shoot them. I'm sorry, it's a load of bullshit but that's the law. You can thank your local liberal for shit like this.
>>
>>29458395
If randoms walking around on the street dials your shit up to 11 you probably need to reconsider what you are doing. Keep an eye on people, sure, but you make it sound like you would ice a dude wearing headphones who happens to walk near you just because he didn't hear what you said.
>>
>>29462278
In fact, shooting to wound will get you fucked by the law.
>>
>>29459145
The vast majority of places require the reasonable man standard
>>
>>29458467

This, also keep in mind that even if not convicted in a court of law, a suspect can still be taken to civil court. They only need 2/3 of the jury to decide to sue the living hell out of you, and they can repossess pretty much anything you own to cover the debt.
>>
File: 1454638781076-k.jpg (158 KB, 960x948) Image search: [Google]
1454638781076-k.jpg
158 KB, 960x948
>>29463908

>side note this whole damn thread
Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.