[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw this could have made the UK's naval unstoppable.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 21
File: pykrete-aircraftcarrier.jpg (71 KB, 604x411) Image search: [Google]
pykrete-aircraftcarrier.jpg
71 KB, 604x411
>tfw this could have made the UK's naval unstoppable.
>>
An iceberg with an airstrip on it?
>>
>>29376588
Is that an iceberg?
>>
>>29376588
Are you high OP?
>>
File: 1.jpg (3 MB, 3755x2513) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
3 MB, 3755x2513
>it travels to a climate warmer than 28.4 degrees Fahrenheit
>mfw
>>
>>29376588

Would this be a remotely feasable idea today?
>>
>>29376598
>>29376596
It's pykrete.

Doesn't melt as fast as ice. It took a whole summer for a test boat in Canada to melt. That boat was a minute fraction of the size of the proposed design.
>>
>>29376626
A melting boat is still insanely stupid.
>>
>>29376634
It was gonna have a huge cooling plant complete with ducting throughout the ship to keep it from melting.
>>
Project Habakkuk

idea was: using Pykrete(14 percent sawdust or other form of wood pulp and 86 percent ice by weight (6 to 1) to create a huge ass carrier and very cheap cost to use against U-boat

Prototype was build in Canada, however later found out that Pykrete can't support it's own weight plus problem with engine design

Project abandon at 1943, the ice that use to make the prototype took 3 years to melt
>>
>>29376649
>>29376626
>>29376619
Glad to see not everybody on /k/ are retarded :^)
And yea, it could still feasibly work today, provided there's a huge funding for it
>>
File: 4chin (11).png (2 KB, 209x215) Image search: [Google]
4chin (11).png
2 KB, 209x215
>>29376596
>>29376598
>>29376616
>not reading file's name
>durr hurr are you high
>>
>>29376626
I think pycrete has more of a use as quick shelter and defenses in cold area than anything else.
>>
>>29376717
well yea, they are also widely used in ice-sculpting and such

but such a cheap and hardy resource that can be made with little to no efforts have no combat usage is a huge waste
>>
>>29376730
If I didn't live so down south, I'd do bullet testing on it. I'd imagine the other /k/omandos might be able to use the knowledge somehow, or we could add it to the ar/k/hive.
>>
>>29376754
its pretty easy to make really, get some sawdust and put them in a mold with water, freeze it in the fridge and then test the slab of pykrete out yourself
>>
>>29376776
Wasn't the one with newspaper instead of sawdust more effective ?
>>
>>29376776
>>29376786
We need to do a /k/ R&D department.
>>
>>29376790
Remember the potassium, k, filled exploding bullets? Exploded once they were in ya.
>>
>>29376808
We could be unstoppable if we had a research department.
>>
File: 1449985795229.jpg (93 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
1449985795229.jpg
93 KB, 540x720
>>29376822
We already are
>>
File: 1381779803049.jpg (986 KB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
1381779803049.jpg
986 KB, 3264x1840
>>29376822
well it does exist we are just not vry organized...
>>
>>29376790
>>29376808
>>29376822
Yes. A military unbounded by bureaucracy, and international law...
How does one go about starting a military company?
>>
> /k/ R&D facility
> Half of the scientists are just here to throw ballistic charts at each other stating how their snowflake caliber automatically trumps every other one.
> The dragon dildo testing facility has the highest number of attrition of scientists, yet it's still the most requested MOS

> Le magical place
>>
>>29376855
You go...to outer heaven
>>
What do y'all think the next innovation in warfare will be ? eg - intermediate cartridge, assault rifle, machine gun , etc.
>>
File: rZQLQra.gif (2 MB, 889x500) Image search: [Google]
rZQLQra.gif
2 MB, 889x500
>>29376871
>>
>>29376715
I hate to break it to you, but a huge piece of pykrete floating in the ocean would be an "iceberg"
>>
>>29376903
Caseless shit, if it works out, won't be a breakthrough IMO.
The bullpup, if they get the shit sorted out, could work.
>>
>>29376641
If only you could make a ship out of something that didn't melt and thus require a huge cooling plant and ducting taking up space...
>>
>>29376929

Well, that rules out nuclear then.
>>
>>29376929
Why do you think it was scrapped.

It was gonna be basically unsinkable and able to field medium bombers on it. It was an insane idea, and I would expect nothing less from the Allies or Axis during WW2/
>>
>>29376942
We agree that nuclear power and pycrete megabarge would go together like PB&J, right?

The cooling needs of the barge would be easily powered, virtually indefinitely, by nuke. It's not like nuke containment is impossible to keep cool and insulated. Honestly, the make up of the ship could be explored as emergency cooling incase it goes fukashima.

I think it still has a place in this world, but not the same place that was originally intended.

Remember it is STILL cheap as fuck to make giant mega structures that are structural sound out of pycrete, relative to other materials.

You could almost make your own micro country.
>>
>>29376918
well no shit, but the proper term is the pykrete carrier

and in the original project, it was planned to be more of an artificial island that would be immune to torpedoes and have full air/naval and ground capabilities
>>
File: HEAT GUN.jpg (49 KB, 909x265) Image search: [Google]
HEAT GUN.jpg
49 KB, 909x265
>>29376926
caseless is the more likely future but i'm more inclined to vouch for energy-based weapon, something like a portable ADS for infantries would be fucking sick
>>
>>29376626
What happens if it gets hit? Wont the ice shatter a lot easier. Metal tend to stay together.
>>
File: 2l5ic2.jpg (66 KB, 800x496) Image search: [Google]
2l5ic2.jpg
66 KB, 800x496
/k/....how do we make it shoot dildos
>>
>>29377072
No. You're wrong about everything. You have a bad understanding of the most basic middle school physics. Go read about it.

Basically pycrete super carriers were unsinkable by WWII standards, they would have required very specialized weapons to be made or extreme overkill by any other standard. Even by today's standards, they are alot harder to sink.
>>
>>29377072
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzhFnNY0OQI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7ju8iKex9o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Dz9jI2kyM

it was even planned to be torpedo-proof with a 12m thick wall, and the hangar roof could withstand a 1000kg bomb

Pykrete is cheap, strong and a good alternative to steel spare for it melting problem and the enormous construction cost
>>
>>29377136
that might have been a bit too harsh, even I find myself perplex at how a composite material can possibly be so mind-bogglingly strong sometime
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 574x256) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 574x256
>>29377072
Memes would stay real
>>
File: Trump.jpg (455 KB, 4272x3204) Image search: [Google]
Trump.jpg
455 KB, 4272x3204
>>29377167
BUILD A WALL OUT OF PYKRETE
>>
>>29376949
The english researched all kinds of crackpot ideas of making something out of nothing, they had very limited resources, and usa wasnt the fallback recourse that it bacame later
>>
>>29377015
Fill this stupid anon in on something, what exactly would be the advantage of caseless ammunition?
From what I've seen, the ammo still requires the projectile, powder, a container to hold both.
>>
File: 40k (15).jpg (92 KB, 480x678) Image search: [Google]
40k (15).jpg
92 KB, 480x678
>>29377238
Well, as much as I enjoy having energy weaponries, it would be a completely new beast that we possibly wouldn't have any proper control over comparing to time proved chemical-propelled projectiles, not to mention the various logistic issue with as basic stuffs as replacing our current stocks.

It's basically boil down to whether we should continue to improve on our current level of limited tech or we should pour vast amount of budget in something new and potentially unreliable.

Given the way politics works overall, they will definitely stick with the former option. Cause why would you fix something that isn't broken?

I'm just wishing for an alien invasion/warp explosion or whatever so we can start pumping out las rifles and joining the IG.
>>
>>29376754
>I'd do bullet testing on it
Prepare for bullets bouncing off and hitting spectators

>[Mountbatten] fired at the pykrete to give an idea of the resistance of that kind of ice to projectiles. The bullet ricocheted off the block, grazing the trouser leg of Admiral Ernest King and ending up in the wall.
>>
>>29377280
given the proper distance and safety precautions, it most likely wouldn't happen

plus I wouldn' be surprise if the Brits exaggerated the whole ordeal as propaganda
>>
>>29377297
You really should illicit some basis in reality before posting such bold (stupid) assumptions.

Do you even know how well the general public knew about pycrete, if at all? You don't? Okay, fuck off. No one is interested in grammar and punctuation free hachet-job theories.
>>
File: 4chin (4).png (19 KB, 237x203) Image search: [Google]
4chin (4).png
19 KB, 237x203
>>29377326
Buddy, I started this thread so I probably have at least some basic idea about shits coming out of my mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzhFnNY0OQI

Like, I just defended the idea of the pykrete through-out this thread but the idea that it can deflect bullet is obviously grossly exaggerated.

How about YOU do some research next time before yapping eh?
>>
>>29376588
Except, as stated by the wiki, every attempt in hot waters led to a catastrophic failure of this material.

Sure it's really tough and could have its utility. Building a base in antarctica out of this seems like a great idea for example.

But attaching concrete and steel stuff to a block of wood pulp and ice seems like a very wrong idea. Leaks will happen whatever you try. Thermal conductivity works both ways.
>>
>>29377345
Except they did make a stable model before. I strongly believe that given enough time and funding, the pykrete air carrier can be a real powerhouse in naval warfare (or revolutionize warfare in general).
>>
>>29377361
They made a stable model and realized it doesn't work.
>>
File: recommended for you.png (930 KB, 727x725) Image search: [Google]
recommended for you.png
930 KB, 727x725
>>29377343
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/about-this-show/what-is-pykrete/

First google result.

Now tell me, are you sure your youtubers really made it the right way? The correct ratios? I'm not saying it's hard, but pykrete is well documented as bulletproof.

I will fuck raw, and then fuck you dead.
>>
>>29377414
>pykrete is well documented as bulletproof.
At what thickness, and what did they shoot it with?

Genuinely curious. Seems like a good way to cheaply fortify a semi-permanent FOB in the colder parts of the world. Ship the material and molds, and engineer some way to quickly freeze it in slightly-above-freezing environments.
>>
>>29377113
GUILLIMAN'S GHOST!
>>
>>29376994
/K/ommando burg when?
>>
>>29377648
Just do the construction when it is freezing. But T barriers are already pretty good, and work anywhere. Pykrete is buoyant, concrete is not, that's the biggest plus it has over other readily made easy build stuff.

The factors that make it buoyant are potentially exploitable in other ways, but I don't see it being better than concrete for FOBs.

Can you think of any landbase fortifications where you'd need the walls to be as tough as concrete but light enough to float? Building in a bog is the only thing that comes to my mind.

If you want the specs on the stuff but are worried about spoopy propoganda, just look at the original design documents that were never being viewed by anyone but the designers. The stuff didn't take off very much, the demonstration that almost seriously hurt that admiral was witnessed by more than a few people. And you can make this and test it, just make sure you do it right. Also I think there are improved variants with paper or some shit now.
>>
>>29376588

Unstoppable *at sea*. By the time the full-scale model could be built, they wouldn't have needed it to establish naval superiority in the Atlantic. By that point, they knew they'd need ground forces more, and the project would have sucked up a lot of resources that ended up being used in D-day.

Right weapon, wrong time in the war.

China's ended up doing something similar with their artificial islands recently. Concrete, I think, but the general principle is the same. The concept is a good one, it's just that you need the right strategic problem for this to be the solution.
>>
>>29377361

It would work, but why build one?

The US depends on its CVs having high strategic mobility. Ability to traverse the Panama Canal is a major plus.

Britain no longer has its empire. For that matter, this applies to nearly every country capable of building an aircraft carrier other than the USA. A much cheaper helicopter carrier is the best way to cover lots of ocean in a cost-effective manner that's proportional to the threat picture and the assets you're using the carriers to defend.

China's in the power projection business, has spare cash to blow (aka the US national debt), and wants to get in the naval aviation business. OK, finally, bingo. But their main area of operations is in the South China Sea. Oops.

Most of the advantages of Habbakuk can be reproduced with other composite materials like concrete. In WW2, an invincible aircraft carrier that would last for three years was attractive. Now, you want something that'll last longer in warm waters. And, sure enough, China's building artificial islands out of fiber concrete composites.

It's a great idea, but it's situational. China's idea is excellent. A good enough solution that's very well suited to the strategic problem they want to solve. I wouldn't mind the USA building one or two... but I can also see why we don't.
>>
>>29377238
Weight, cost, simplicity of weapons.

Container is literally made of propellant.
>>
>>29377177
>giant icewall on the canadian border
and now my watch begins
>>
>>29378020
Ice doesn't float because it's "light." Ice is really fucking heavy. It floats because it's full of air pockets.
>>
>>29378249

Patrolled by mutinous, kissless virgins? Our country finally has a use for all the pathfinder and eclipse phase players!
>>
>>29376649

Sounds like it would have been an absolute joy to serve on.
>>
>>29378354
Well that's oddly specific. If I fix that to say
>rpg players
Does it now include you? Careful your /tg/ is showing.
>>
>>29377280
If that's true, that's some crazy resistance.

This could be valuable knowledge to our northmen /k/omrades.
>>
>>29378440

Yes, yes it does. I was trying to stick to the ones who still wear all black and don't get laid. /tg/ is /k/'s bastard offspring anyway.

Reminder: /lit/ gets really drunk and goes home with /k/. She wakes the next morning and slinks back home in shame, never to speak to him again after the best sex of her life.

Nine months later, /tg/ is born. /lit/ resents having to be the mom, especially since /tg/ is more talented than her, so she looks the other way when /d/ and her live-in boyfriend /x/ start molesting /tg/.

And in case you're wondering, /pol/ is the herpes each of them has.
>>
>>29378575
So that means /out/ and /tg/ are half-brothers?
>>
>>29378845

Cousins.

/k/ is /out/'s old racist uncle who knows more about the outdoors than /out/ is comfortable admitting.

(Actually, /k/ is /out/'s uncle is where the whole family tree thing started. It kind of spiraled out from there. And /pol/ gets to be herpes lesions, which is flattering compared to what they deserve.)
>>
>>29378897
But that's wrong you nigger.

/k/ and /an/ had a kid named /out/.
>>
>>29378299
>is dis nigga serious.jpg
>>
>>29378299

Yeah, this is totally physics true. That's why icebergs sink to the bottom of the sea and ice cubes sink to the bottom of my glass.

Seriously, can it be possible that someone is this stupid? I just don't believe it, even in the age of Bernie Sanders.
>>
>>29378967
This is correct.
>>
>>29376708
Heres your (You)
>>
File: 1457578819285.gif (453 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
1457578819285.gif
453 KB, 420x420
>>29378299
Ice floats because the it displaces more mass than it has. This is because water uniquely crystallizes into a larger volume that it does when liquid.

So your sort of right, but you said it all fucked up.

For the record, this means that a specific volume of DOES weigh less than a specific volume of water.

fug me I shouldn't having to tell someone capable of using a computer how that works
>>
>>29378249
>Day 54 on the wall
>Stationed At Portal, Dakota, on the Saskatchewan border
>cold af out here
>fucking nothing goes on here ever, watched a dog run away for 3 days
>typical day, nothing going then suddenly over the crest of the fields, Canada's most dangerous animal
>the bull moose. a fucking pack of them, all male
>wtf
>had brief encounters in the past with them but managed to scare them off from popping off shots in the dirt
>realize its mating season and that they want to cross the border to fuck
>not about let some maplehockeynigger moose into my country and produce welfare moose
>radio situation to CO
>its too late. moose are now charging the wall
>give order to light these motherfuckers up
>its the Battle of Somme all over again
>complete slaughter
>whilst moving the bodies, local farmer drives by and surveys the aftermath
>a single tear rolls down his cheek
>"Sorry" he says, and drives off
>>
File: kill it kill it kill it.jpg (8 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
kill it kill it kill it.jpg
8 KB, 480x360
>>29380960
>watched a dog run away for 3 days
>stopped the moose caboose
>let the thing get away
such a terrible, terrible mistake
>>
>>29376588
>SIR! We lost track of the HMS Weight Loss!
>Just kidding, it's impossible to not track this trail of sawdust and other assorted wood based crap.
>>
>>29376588
W-what about british belly buttons?
>>
File: McMurdo_Sound_Glacier-iv.jpg (50 KB, 614x365) Image search: [Google]
McMurdo_Sound_Glacier-iv.jpg
50 KB, 614x365
>>29376588
hold up. instead of making aircraft carriers or ship with it why not just make massive aircraft carrier sized floating bombs with big ships motors on it to propel it? im talking, weaponizing icebergs. like this but the ones that are like 1 mile deep and pack it with more explosives then ever reasonable, and just push it towards some enemy dock. in a 200,000 ton iceberg you could carve cavity inside and fill it with say, 50,000 tons of explosives and aim it at coastel cities and bridges

what could go wrong
>>
>>29377113
>killme.jpg
>>
>>29377814
When you make the thread for it.
>>
>>29378354
>eclipse phase players
/epg/ doesn't play Eclipse Phase, though.
>>
>>29383219
It would be easy as hell to track. Every country with a surveillance satellite would be super suspicious of what these people were building icebergs for and everyone else would be suspicious when they don't follow the currents.
>>
>>29384291
well then you could use it as coastel defence water mines effectively. make a few, demonstrate them, then just push huge floating icebergs around targets and put the fear of MASSIVE bombs into them. then use them as miniture anti-air/radar stations since everyone avoids them like the plague

also, assuredly they would see and track them, but imagine a 200,000 ton iceberg with 90% of it under DEEP water. how do you stop it? the enemy could just start pushing massive icebergs at you and your be obligated to annihilate them before they got close, you could force your opponent to waste tons and tons of explosives and energy stopping them
>>
>>29384332
You could use it as a SUBMARINE BASE.
>>
>>29384347
hell YEAH. use the chunnel tunnel device to just carve massive holes near the bottom and you could have your submarines enter to restock/hide/refuel. ANY nearby iceberg could suddenly launch a few subs already at a deep ready stealthy depth. start pushing plain ones into strategic locations and bam, anywhere could be a sub hot spot. this guy gets it
>>
File: Chunnel-tunnel-boring-machine.jpg (33 KB, 300x227) Image search: [Google]
Chunnel-tunnel-boring-machine.jpg
33 KB, 300x227
>>29384375
>>29384347
apply this baby to the top and dig down, then when deep within the core, go outwards and make a cavity, and then make a few going straight out into the deep water for sub tunnels, this idea is bitchin rad
>>
>>29384385
>>29384375
It would be much easier to mold the hollow spaces during the freezing process.
>>
>>29384412
hmmm, probably. could make it like the ice palace in that awful bond flick
>>
>>29384347
>I'm just an iceberg, don't shoot at me silly buoys ;)

This is a great idea.
>>
>>29384444
but thats the diggery doo. if ANY iceberg could be one, then, imagine having to explode or destroy a couple 50,000 to 200,000 ton icebergs on a regular basis. eventually youd just avoid em
>>
>>29384466
It's the one that's not floating according to ocean currents.
>>
>>29384478
well then choose a target that is along ocean currents. pretty much nothing cool ever came of people going "it wont work" instead of "how do we make it work". get creative, nigga
>>
>>29384498
I just want a giant iceberg base for our military enterprises.
>>
>>29384517
heeeyy...what about attaching massive weights to the bottom and sinking them? then when ships go past or above it, detach the weight. suddenly, 50,000 to 200,000 tons rushes to the surface either ramming the under side or maybe causing enough waves and water disruption to disable or damage nearby boats. imagine nailing a submarine with a huge chunk of ice travelling from the bottom of the ocean. 200,000 tons of ice suddenly surfacing like a breeching whale
>>
>>29384575
It would give everyone on it the bends. gg
>>
>>29384582
or punch a mother fucking hole in it if you just froze some good old metal rods on the top. think BIG. hell, freeze a few water mines onto the top. if the impact of a 200,000 ton iceberg smashing the bottom of whatever your in dosent fuck your shit up, here comes the boom
>>
>>29384622
Too many complications. It needs a cooling system with internal power and at the ocean's bottom, it'll need to be pressure-proof. it sounds really, really expensive for a one-off weapon that might not even hit.
>>
10,000,000 pycrete carriers vs. the sun?
>>
File: make it work.png (40 KB, 1852x848) Image search: [Google]
make it work.png
40 KB, 1852x848
>>29384662
empty non metallic containers containing explosives and quite boyant, with either spikes or contanct rods to detonate contain explosives. if not full of explosives, just a super boyant air vessel that rises FAST. daisy chain it with other ones nearby, chain them together like a giant fish net. any sub or boat that triggers it is caught in either a giant chain fish net or rammed in the ass end with explosives or spikes. each one has a bouy above it with a line that triggers if anything pushes it hard enough or catches and pulls a trigger. or make them wireless activation and make the entrances of docks or vital areas literred with them. friendlys wont set them off but unknowns will
>>
>>29384662
Then just freeze the fucking ocean. You don't need a cooling system if the whole ocean is below freezing point.
>>
>>29384789
You could winch it down. The problem is making it light enough to be both very buoyant and cheap, but also rigid enough so that it won't just bounce off and skate on the bottom of the hull. Doing all of this shit sounds a lot more expensive than a couple of anti-ship missiles.
>>
>>29376851

Where does one buy those percussion plates(?)
>>
>>29384849
how about an empty vessel explosively cleared? like a ballast on a submarine. could be filled with water and simply float on the bottom, no winch or anything required. passing vessels trigger an subermarine style ballest that makes it suddenly ultra buoyant?
>>
>>29384908
How is it going to be guided?
>>
>>29384908
er, sit, not float. just be dead weight waiting to be set off
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 212x237) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 212x237
>>29378575

What the fuck kind of lore is this.
>>
File: make it work2.png (62 KB, 1852x1920) Image search: [Google]
make it work2.png
62 KB, 1852x1920
>>29384918
wouldnt be. the idea is that any one of them gets set off, the rest go off. if they are chained together like a giant fish net, itll just snare anything above it that isnt fast enough to get away before it surfaces. trapped in a metal chain fish net with explosives on the edges that will eventually contact you because you are in motion. as you try to break free, the edges of the line move and hit you
>>
>>29385038
sounds wasteful
>>
>>29385161
which part, the ballest part which is something every sub has and would be far simpler then a subs version? the water filled empty vessels that could be simply left over air tanks or literally anything possibly air tight? some wire to rig it up?
>>
>>29385203
daily reminder we already use bouyant devices floating on the surfaces attached to turbines that use the rising and sinking tide to pull a pulley and rotate that shit. just retroactively add explosives and chain them together. a few extra vessels, a few explosives, some chain....what?
>>
>>29382571
It could have made them unstoppable.
>>
>>29376588
Until it became time to go to the pacific. It'd have made Prince of Wales and Repulse look effective. :^)
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.