[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, anons serving/having served in armed forces: what was the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 8
File: c4.jpg (99 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
c4.jpg
99 KB, 500x334
Hey, anons serving/having served in armed forces: what was the place of semi-auto versus burst/auto fire in the combat doctrine taught to you?
>>
Conscriptboo here.

Generally full auto is for clearing out trenches and indoors, never saw that other than on paper, spent all my time on forest.

In my case in small long range recon patrols full auto was used to burn through mags when surprised or detected by enemy so they would think they ran into a bigger enemy troops than they really had and us few guys would have more time to pack our stuff and haul ass out of there.
Pretty much there was only two modes, never fire and just observe or go full retard and run away.
>>
>>29353320

U.s. Army Infantry fag here

Semi
>for everyday use
> mostly accurate fire while machine guns make most of the covering fire
>great for CQB, put every round right where I want it

Burst
>redheaded step child
>more common than full auto, less useful than everything
>the saw is down, get some heads down
>we need go sound like a bigger force than we are
>doctrinally, used during trench clearing. But full auto would work too...

Full auto
>it's going down
>I'm yelling giiimmmbbbeeerrrr
>can be used same way as burst + more
>once almost had the PB overrun. Exact fire command was "wax that ass".
>can either be a really useful thing, or some dumbass can just be dumping huge amounts of ammo on nothing
>>
Bundeswehr fag here

We use autofire almost never. Maybe dump a mag arround the corner before entering a room. Or when someone is really in your face. Other than that its quick semiauto only most of the time 2 in a row. So you have one accurate hit and the second one immediatly behind it still on target but not in the same place so you have more stopping power. Full auto is for retards that cant aim. You gonna waste alot of usefull ammo when fullautoing. Its rarely used also when your lmg cant fire, so someones taking his role and lays down fire but thats it.

>inb4 sry for grammar
>>
>>29353320

Enlisted, SwAF here.

Full retard is only used for really close self defenc if you dont have the time to shoulder your weapon. Or sometimes in QCB, but thats not really a thing for us as we are located in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>29353320
I would tell you, but it says confidential on the handout!

DOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO
>>
>>29353320

POG here

Only shot the M16A2 on semi.
>>
>>29353320
Never served, but I own a few FA NFA items and I've shot/discussed the role of burst/automatic in real world situations with friends who were servicemen.

Full auto is only useful for supressing fire and limited applications in CQB. You're pretty much wasting ammo in all other situations. When I go to the range I pace myself and still go through a 420 round can in an hour.
>>
Russian here, they told us to use it when our commander tells us to.
>>
>>29353320
Swiss POG Sergeant here
Full auto isn't even really trained anymore (As an armorer we did it once in training) but when i was training new recruits (NBC-soldier, why is a longer story) we didn't do it, although i would have liked to do it
the AA cannons i worked with later were full auto only
>>
>>29353320

British Army infantry fag here

Semi (Or 'Repition as we call it for some odd reason) is for any engagement where you need to put down accurate rounds in order to keep the enemy suppressed or kill him. 95% of the time the selector is on 'R'.

Full retard is for when one person needs to throw 30 rounds of hurt in a short space of time, like clearing a trench or room. Still trained to fire in 3-5 round bursts else you tend to burn through ammunition damn quickly. Never used at ranges of more than about 50-75m.

Fun fact, if you have your bayonet fixed on an L85 and you dump a magazine into a target, you have to wait a good 10-15 minutes if you want to remove it. Brilliant bit of design there.
>>
US Army AD soldier with 8 years TIS. Burst is for being overrun and that was the last thing I heard about that.
>>
>>29355254
That bayonet part is neat, it would deal +15 fire damage on hit.
>>
>>29355254
what are the british military's views on americans?
>>
File: 1431921899256.jpg (11 KB, 171x208) Image search: [Google]
1431921899256.jpg
11 KB, 171x208
>>29355269
>>
>>29355254
Are you implying there is anything wrong with our wonderful, perfect kit mate?

That'll be an AGAI for you
>>
>>29355461

I spent two tours using it, and get fucked if anyone think it's perfect.

Having said that, the new kit that's coming in is nice. Virtus is actually a solid bit of kit, but I'm keen to see how it stands up to years of abuse.

>inb4 the legality of AGAI 67 is tenuous at best
>>
>>29355522
[AGAI INTENSIFIES]

You'll be claiming about our wonderful food next
>>
>>29355530
*complaining

Sorry, trying to fill the agai out with one hand
>>
Muhreen here burst might as well not exist for m16/m4 users full auto is used for short accurate bursts by IAR gunners, and of course 240s which will kill or suppress anything within 900m
>>
>>29355318

Not British, but in the CF a thing can be called "American proof" if it's impossible to fuck up.
>>
>>29353344

>Pretty much there was only two modes, never fire and just observe or go full retard and run away.

Just add "and then call in air support/artillery" and you have modern infantry doctrine in a nutshell.

Why do we even have infantry again?
>>
Semi auto is for controlled fire, and general surpression. Rapid semi auto is for surpression while teams are moving up/back.

For full auto, this Anon has a pretty good summary >>29353344
>>
>>29355605
in the USAF we call shit like that 'Army Proof'
>>
File: skeptied.jpg (23 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
skeptied.jpg
23 KB, 512x384
>>29355605

>Canadian armed forces

I'm surprised the Weedman hasn't disbanded you guys yet. It is 2016 after all.
>>
>>29353998
SwAF?
>>
>>29355701

Swedish Arab Facilitators
>>
File: 20160311_170838.jpg (844 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160311_170838.jpg
844 KB, 2560x1440
>>29355207
> 420 an hour
>>
>>29355540

We'll stop fucking wanking and concentrate then.

>>29355530
As a comment that also relates to >>29355318 the food in the 24 hour rat packs (especially the newer ones) are orders of magnitude better than MREs. I spent some time on my second tour working with US Marines and I was like a god when it came to swapsies with my curries and breakfasts.

Fuck, I enjoy biscuits Brown.
>>
>>29355788
Well, even.

Trying to post under my desk because the CO keeps popping his nose around the partition.
>>
>>29355530
The food in the messes is probably worse than the rats.
>>
Former 11B, on a rifle semi is pretty much used for everything other than to make noise and suppress. The two biggest players in actually dropping bad guys in most engagements are gonna be the ARs (automatic riflemen running an LMG) or the designated MM/sniper. The only time you're gonna be burning mags on full-retard with an assault rifle is if you're going full broken arrow or trying to make noise to amplify your threat factor during an assault. You can suppress in 90% of cases with rapid-fire semi-automatic fire, semi is also generally better for CQB contrary to what most people would think.

Unless you're doing singleton work or R&S with a small team you'll probably never have to use FA on a rifle seriously.
>>
>>29355788
>>29355866
To clarify, I was talking about the wonderful quality and quantity of food supplied in our clean, well run cookhouses rather than rats
>>
>>29355927

Ah, see I can't complain but I haven't eaten in an OR's mess in five years.

Then again the food at Bastion wasn't bad. I mean they could never get my eggs right but it's a minor complaint.
>>
>>29355977
Only the finest Sodexo quality!
>>
File: 1385208271182.jpg (3 KB, 125x123) Image search: [Google]
1385208271182.jpg
3 KB, 125x123
I'm going to bully infantry anon while I have the chance.

>be anon
>be in infantry
>do PT
>wake up
>eat breakfast
>see mashed potatoes
>the lads see it too
>tell the server to gizzit
>plates now full of mashed potatoes
>the lads know where this is going
>take trays back to seats

>the lads are quiet now
>a staff sergeant comes over, with a look of confusion
>"Hurry up and finish your scoff."
>Anon looks at the staff.
>Anon understands, that as an infantry JNCO, he's expected to maintain a high standard, that this staff cannot understand.
>anon takes the plate, and sticks it on his head
>anon begins howling "CDRILs!" at the top of his voice
>he stands on the table and continues howling
>the other lads follow suit, walking around the table, howling "CDRILs!" with mashed potato helmets
>the other units leave the mess hastily
>cadets who came to train start to cry for their parents
>in the corner of the room, a colour nods appreciatively and mutters "Good drills" under his breath, repeatedly.

Several hours later.

>the lighting has failed, due to being shorted by potato
>the infantry platoon have produced torches from cutlery sellotaped together, with a tissue paper head
>they've smeared mashed potatoes all over the mess, like some sort of unholy ritual, highlighted using ketchup satchets
>catering are tied up in a corner, while a colour draws penises on their faces, and mutters "Ally." and "dog's bollocks" to himself, proudly.
>in the middle of it all, anon sits on a throne of vending machines propped up by mess chairs.
>infantry csm walks in, accompanied by the engi staff
>anon is chastised for wearing a non issue helmet of mashed potatoes, in the mess no less
>he walks out, talking to the staff about how much better the served mashed potatoes were in his day.
>>
>>29356004

It's deliciously ironic that they sponsor the ARU and yet they don't touch anything Sodexho make.
>>
>>29353320
US Army here.

It was "Semi all the fucking time, burst is useless at literally everything"
>>
If automatic is useless why is it restricted from civilians
>>
>>29356169
Because it scares women and brown people.

Kinda like red cars, alcohol, brown people, and uniforms.
>>
File: oicunt10.jpg (553 KB, 648x864) Image search: [Google]
oicunt10.jpg
553 KB, 648x864
/K/anadian CF WOG fag here:

Semi-auto: Always

Full-auto: When on patrol and you get into contact and want to break contact. Guy in the front mag dumps and then runs to the back of the line, then the second guy in the line, who is now the first guy in the line, mag dumps and then runs at the back of line, repeat until far enough from the enemy while mag dumping to break contact. This way a lot of rounds flies in the enemy's direction and you don't burn through all of your ammo.
>>
>>29356097

Okay, so I haven't been infantry for a while, but I spent six years as a JNCO in the TA, and I can safely say that any colour I met was a fucking lunatic.

>be me, Cpl anon, taking my section through room clearing drills on the ranges at Pirbright, walls etc marked out with mine tape.
>Colour anon, one of our PSIs comes over to observe
>I see the lads get a bit tense and concentrate harder on looking slick
>see Colour moving around us, stepping over mine tape as he does
>As he gets closer I hear him whispering "I'm walking through fucking walls. I'm a ghost. Do I have a soul? Maybe. But I'm a ghost. Whooooo ghost."
>Colour anon walks up behind Pte anun, bellows 'boo' and then strolls off, cackling.
>>
Oh yeah kek, forgot about this but one time where there is pretty much always full auto fire is when new recruits visit the range for the first time and there is always that one guy who has his rifle on FA when shooting targets.
>>
>>29355696

Other way around, believe it or not:

The Conservatives cut $5 billion in defence and simply didn't spend anther $7 billion that had been allocated for new procurement in their frenzy to somehow come up with half decent budget numbers before the election period.

The outgoing CPC government let defence spending fall below 1% of the GDP, the lowest ratio in Canadian history since the early 1930s.

While the Liberals are going to push $3 billion new procurement until 2020, they are spending an additional $5.5 billion in veterans benefits and assistance, which is about fucking time.
>>
>>29353998
QCB....
>>
In 9yrs of service (anti-armor/heavy weapons), We where never "officially taught what to use burst for. I used it once with live ammo and that was for shits and giggles to get rid of 10k ammo in less than 2hrs. We used to get our assessment chewed if we used burst for any reason what so ever. We had enough machine guns in one platoon, the use of it was just unneeded wear and tear on our rifles.

We would, for shills, use it in MOUT training every once and a while just to see how we liked it. Or as OPFOR.
>>
Semi always, burst is for expending excess ammo at the range quickly so you can get to chow on time
>>
>>29355725
JULIAN, That you??
>>
>>29356004
where are you that uses sodexo? I'm at relatively poorfag state uni, and we have them too.
>>
Our service rifle is the G3. Full auto never.
>>
/K/anadian

Semi Automatic for basically everything.

Fully Automatic for close encounters of the third kind.
>>
>>29359273
Many British army camps have food supplied by sodexo

There's loads of conterversy at the minute about the state of food
facebook fill your bootz

>#prayforscoff
>>
>>29353320
>burst fire
At close range against moving targets or when using a machinegun.
>single shots
everything else

t. a finnfag
>>
>>29359665

I once had a stand-up row in the OR's mess with the Sodexho head 'chef' about what he was serving. Got a letter from someone at the MoD giving me a really half-hearted bollocking.

Here's hoping a bit of press will help.
>>
>>29353320
full auto in situations like when your platoon encounters an enemy while advancing through forest & the only way of bringing the skirmish to a quick end is a frontal assault (the basic idea is that in an un-planned skirmish the best option is to get your men moving quickly, whether to advance or retreat depends on situation, but staying put is the last thing a leader should do), or when there's pesky enemy aircraft overhead flying too low for real AA to target them & officers decide to use small arms fire from a whole platoon/company to try and get the aircraft gain some altitude, or when clearing a building room-by-room.
>>
>>29360020
forgot: Finnfag here
>>
>>29359696
don't forget "Valmistautukaa rynnäkköön!"
>>
Be USAF fag
Instructor taught us to charge the m16 3 times prior to switching to burst
Lol what?
Not listen to him because you only charge it 3x to function check
Be at range
Tell us to get magazines ready for burst
Guys next to me remind each other to charge three times
Shake my head
Get on firing line
Slap bolt forward
Switch to burst
Burst works
Dumb fucks next to me had double feeds because they charged their weapons with a round in the chamber
Look down range only 3 other people shot their rifles out of 20

I don't blame the shooters, I blame our instructors. I swearvwe get a bad rep because of our firing instructors.
>>
>>29362383
honestly I don't see why burst is even necessary, it only makes the operation more complicated & it doesn't take a lot of training to learn to fire 3-4 bursts on full-retard (if I can do it with a machinegun that has rate of fire of ~1150, I think I can do it with a rifle that has theoretical rate of fire of ~700)
>>
>>29355788
BISCUIT BROWN!!!
They did not tell us what they did in Phase 1, I still have some somewhere, no idea if it is safe to eat.
>>
>>29362544
Its for worse case scenarios, ie. When you pull the trigger on burst the enemy force is so massive you won't miss.

The army has full auto M4 but saves them for rare cases like a. broken saw. full auto m4 is wasteful expenditures of ammo.

I. can put a controlled group conitentky in NY target from battle drill 6 to a situation in 1a.I'm the 2 man because of it, I would never use. burst unless our saw went down and we need fire.
>>
>>29356097
>>29356485
>2016
>still calling blacks colours
>das rascist.exe
>>
>>29353969

is this why I've seen some German trigger packs with 2 round burst?
>>
>>29353363
M16A3/A4 and M4 do not have full auto. What were you using annon?
>>
>>29353363
I'm going infantry in a couple months, thanks for sharing brother.
>>
>>29353363
you;re retarded
>>
My uncle said his unit leader's rules were, essentially
>when ambushed, immediately switch your arm to full auto and dump a magazine
>then reload, switch to single, and do your job
>>
File: IMG_20160313_052436.jpg (551 KB, 912x1600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160313_052436.jpg
551 KB, 912x1600
>>29362773
A3 Is full auto navy variant of m16

And full auto m4 exists, rarely issue. When a saw breaks they might end up getting one to replace saw.

Just a fellow infantry bro defending the guy
>>
>>29362773
Uh, the A3 is actually full auto.

The A2, A4 and M4 are burst. The A1, A3, and M4A1 (and mk18, which is a BCM upper on an M4A1 lower) are auto.
>>
>>29362765
No idea. We have no burst option on any gun we are using
>>
Swiss doctrine:

semi auto always; most covering/suppressive fire is laid down with timed rounds from every man in the team
full auto is used only by the two LMGs in the team (2 per 8-man group)
>>
>>29362627

They are for blocking you up/making you shit, depending on who you talk to.

Add some squeezy cheese for a delicious lunch time snack. Or don't be a fucking crow and get some decent pate or something from Tesco and make a proper meal.

Also, biscuit fruit best biscuit.
>>
>>29362773
M4A1 has full burst, that's what the issued weapon is for the Army now

I don't know about Marine poorfags though
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.