[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you reload, /k/? I've been looking in to it and I can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: ktakesashit.jpg (48 KB, 534x681) Image search: [Google]
ktakesashit.jpg
48 KB, 534x681
Do you reload, /k/? I've been looking in to it and I can't really see any benefit to it. I can get 500 rds of good quality 5.56 for $140 from my local reloader and it would cost me about that to make the same amount, not to mention labor and actually buying all the shit to do it.

As for building precision/match ammo, it seems that factory ammo these days is just as good, if not better than handloads, and cheaper as well.

Not trolling, I was actually thinking reloading sounded like a kind of nice and relaxing way to satisfy my autism, but I need /k/ to justify it.
>>
>>29352303
>Do you reload, /k/?
No, when my gun is empty I buy a new one.
>>
>>29352303
>5.56

Nah, just buy it and sell the brass to someone who does.

Reloading is typically worth it for more expensive/exotic rounds.
>>
>>29352732
Nice.
>>
>>29352303
I used to reload, but simply don't have the time anymore. Reloading can be a lot of fun, but don't buy into the BS about saving money because you wont. That is unless you're reloading expensive/rare ammunition (.338 Lapua, 7.7 or 6.5 Jap, 30-06, etc...)
>>
>>29352792
What kind of prices do you get for brass? I've been saving mine recently, and I thought about bringing a broom with me to the range to sweep up brass everyone leaves behind and sell it for scrap metal. It's a public range owned by the state, so no one would care.
>>
>>29352879

My range picks up and sorts brass out and resells it, I can get a few thousand cases of 9mm for $50. There are a few .380 and .40 cases mixed in there too cuz they sort it by hand, but well worth the money.
I don't think selling the brass as scrap metal would be very lucrative but I admit I'm not an expert in that area.

>>29352862

With more common calibers where bulk supplies are cheap, you can save money over the long run, but it does take quite a while to pay itself off.
And sure, reloading is a time investment, but it's also therapeutic.
>>
i do it mainly because i enjoy the process also i like being able to produce my own ammo if the markets go crazy again.
>>
>>29352879
.08, more for rare or processed less for 9mm and shit.

Yes i reload, not a lot. My production is small because like everyone else it is cheaper to buy plinking ammo than it is to reload it from what my current setup is.

The reason I do like reloading is the ability to create different rounds, Traccers for the same price as 55gr, 69smk cheaper than new priced.

I also do it because I'm the only one in my friend group who does, someone has to know the shit.
>>
>>29352303
>As for building precision/match ammo, it seems that factory ammo these days is just as good, if not better than handloads, and cheaper as well.
No, it isn't. Loads have to be tailored to the specific rifle. It's not enough to have them simply be consistent. Reloading is not optional if you want to do precision/long range shooting.

As for cost effectiveness, remember that your savings go up as you diversify your ammo types, particularly if you shoot moon ammo.
>>
>>29352303
>28cpr for illegal reloads
wew lad
>>
File: 423081.jpg (121 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
423081.jpg
121 KB, 880x660
>>29352303
I was gonna start reloading 5.56, but realized I'd be putting myself at a loss economically. But there are still upsides. You can make your own custom loads and not be bound by the stuff that manufacturers sell.

Not to mention, if it seems like it'd be fun for you, fuck it, go for it. I'd figured it would be a good way to chill out and decompress for a while besides going to the range. I'll probably start once I have some more disposable income
>>
>>29352862
I save a good deal of money reloading 9mm, .223, and .308. Then again, I'm a Canuck, and all of our gun shit is more expensive.
>>
>>29352303
For general consumption of common calibers, reloading has never been really worth it, short of casting your own bullets. The difference for most people is measured in minute of pop can.

I only have time to reload 200 rounds a year anymore, but it is worth it for things like 25-06, 7mm Rem Mag, and 300 Win Mag, where absolute consistency is needed for hunting and paying someone to do it would cost $3-$4 a round and still suck. Unless you have a progressive press, shoot a great deal, and your time is pretty cheap, reloading 223 or 9mm isn't worth it. Loaded ammo is 31cpr, bullets are 8-10 cents, primers 2 cents, powder varies. Brass isn't worth buying, but can be 5-10 cents, depending on what it is. Fudds pay extra for a Hornady headstamp.

Reloading shotshells is even less worthwhile.
>>
>>29352953
>reloading 5.56
If you do at some point, get a progressive. Reloading ammo that you blast through quickly is mind-numbing on a single stage.

And on that note, the usual advice of "don't get a progressive as your first press" is stupid. If someone can't figure out how to use a simple progressive press, they have no business reloading. Unless you're clinically retarded, you won't have any issues.

The only reason not to get a progressive is cost or if you're only reloading a box or two of precision rifle ammo.
>>
Also mil surplus brass is cheap as shit and easy to process with a few additional tools
>>
>>29352963
>Reloading shotshells is even less worthwhile

The main reason to reload shotshells is to stuff stupid crap in them.
>>
>>29353306
Don't really need a reloading rig for that, just open the shell, pour out the shot, stuff whatever you want inside, and glue it up.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.