[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This cosmoline is REALLY on here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: Cosmoline-Gun.jpg (61 KB, 490x368) Image search: [Google]
Cosmoline-Gun.jpg
61 KB, 490x368
I'm cleaning up an smle, and the only issue I'm having with the cosmo is on the rear sling mount. I've put it in boiling water, heat gun, soak in mineral spirits for a day and trying to scrape off what I can. It's so in there that I can't unscrew the hinge piece because it's in there with the threads so bad, I've broken two screw drivers in a vice trying to open it. It's all dried on there, and I've never seen cosmo this stubborn before.

Any fullproof ways of getting this shit off?
>>
pic related, this is the piece I'm having the issues with.
>>
Acetone works quit well
>>
I remember my friend saying he had to soak his sks in brake cleaner.
>>
>>29341447
ed's red

basically the typical cleaners/removers--acetone, mineral spirits, kersone--in one wonderfully smelling package
>>
>>29341506
>"kersone"

I meant kerosene, I don't know how that happened
>>
>>29341447
Mineral Spirits and an old tooth brush. Soak for a day then brush.
>>
>>29341506
>ed's red
I've never made that shit but it sounds good
I bet it smells like heaven
>>
>>29341447
A brass brush might help, paired with a shitload of solvents . Nylon gun brushes ain't gonna scrape off 60 years of dried cosmoline. Just make sure it isn't brass plated steel wire of you value the finish
>>
Hey OP did I get that right? The sling mount is still in place at the stock right?

The problem you have: the cosmo is inside the wood.

Remove the rear part of the stock, put it in oven. That should liquify the cosmo that is now inside the wood and hard as a rock.

If you dont want or cant remove the stock: try to soak the hinge with real much WD0. If youre lucky it creeps down the screws and softens the cosmo a little. Good luck
>>
Hair dryer.
>>
>>29341621
Refer to>>29341474
>>
Throw it in the oven on some aluminum foil. You can cook that bitch clean, especially since you removed them from the gun and it's a non-essential piece where you could otherwise fuck up the heat treating.

Either put the oven on lowest setting for like 5 hours or preheat that bitch to 550 and let it sit for half hour.
>>
Just get some paraffin and a tiff brush, after soaking it a long while then get to work.
>>
File: Best Brown Paper.jpg (43 KB, 500x326) Image search: [Google]
Best Brown Paper.jpg
43 KB, 500x326
>>29342005
>paraffin
Don't forget the best brown paper.
>>
>>29341447
Gasoline has been my go to for cosmoline removal for years.
>>
>>29342142
Enjoy your well deserved cancer
>>
>>29342154
Kek. Like any solvent that will remove cosmoline doesn't have "cancer causing" ingredients.
You need a solvent to remove cosmoline.

>Implying I don't use 9mil nitrile gloves and do it outside.

Don't worry though faggot, the smoking 2 packs a day for the last 25 years will give me cancer.
>>
>>29341506
>memes red

Kys desu thanks in advance
>>
>>29342200
Enjoy you eminent demise you almost retarded subhuman. I sure will
>>
Methyl Ethyl Keytone
Works better then anything on the market. Just avoid direct contact with your skin and wear a respirator. The fumes alone will make your children retarded.
>>
>>29342126
Best rifleman.
>>
Best penetrating oil is automatic transmission fluid and acetone.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.