[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rules of Engagement
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: afgan-cartoon.gif (37 KB, 558x433) Image search: [Google]
afgan-cartoon.gif
37 KB, 558x433
Hi /k/. Was talking to a friend a little while ago who recently returned from Kuwait, and we started talking about his experience. ROE came up and it kind of baffles me. How can the military and government justify the deaths of soldiers who die from using rules of engagement against an enemy that fights in dirty? Why should we be held to a higher standard of war when fighting an emeny that hides, in crowds of civilians, arms women and children, shoots our medics and attacks with suicide tactics.

No you shouldn't attempt to detain the guy who just tossed his rifle after shooting at you! That's retarded.

What if rules of engagement were selective?
>>
>>29334011
>Why should we be held to a higher standard of war when fighting an emeny that hides, in crowds of civilians, arms women and children, shoots our medics and attacks with suicide tactics.

.....because we're not them?
>>
>>29334011
obviously kill them. say they never dropped their rifle. If anyone objects kill them with said rifle and blame it on the guy who you killed. It's simple math really.
>>
>>29334011
Dude, it's kuwait. Don't let him act like he went anywhere hard.
>>
>>29334011

It's the fucking way she goes.

I think I killed a guy in Iraq, maybe 2.

>be in Humvee
>get shot at
>light up window with 50 Cal, (I'm turret gunner)
>nobody's shooting at me now
>drive away

>TFW I hate Arabs more than black people

They are deceitful horrible people.
>>
>>29334011
Look at Vietnam, seriously.

That shit can snowball pretty easily if you rationalize every engagement in such subjective terms.
>>
>>29334011

>Kuwait

What ROE? Telling Marines to not rape the locals is not an ROE. And I've served with Marines, they are damn fine rapist.
>>
File: cunt.jpg (10 KB, 239x211) Image search: [Google]
cunt.jpg
10 KB, 239x211
>>29334122
Bitch, Niggers are like 7 more badder than bomb people
>>
File: 51kgNKhgusL.jpg (37 KB, 300x430) Image search: [Google]
51kgNKhgusL.jpg
37 KB, 300x430
>>29334299

Don't get me wrong, I hate Niggers also.

Blacks are stupid. Arabs are a little more crafty. Plus they lie a lot. Somewhere in the Korran it says it's OK to lie for personal benefit. That's why everybody lies. Bunch of hypocrisy and dipshits.
>>
because they don't give a fuck about the soldiers & only seek to avoid embarassment
>>
>>29334268
>Telling Marines to not rape the locals is not an ROE.
As often as it happens they may want to include that.
>>
>>29334340
>Somewhere in the Korran it says it's OK to lie for personal benefit.
It's okay to lie to infidels. They don't tend to lie to one another, they just make their answers noncommittal.
>>
>>29334011
Remember what you fight for.

Also some plish SF guy said that the considered them more like guidelines than actual rules.
>>
>>29334347
If a Marine rapes you, you should do the right thing.

Thank him for his Service.
>>
>>29334367

Go take over England.

You're too poor to get to USA sok.

Atlantic Ocean FTW>>29334371
>>
Abiding by pathetic rules of engagement is the reason that America hasn't decisively won a war since WWII.
>>
>if it's brown gun it down
>>
>>29335170
We didn't have an ROE during Panama. We shot whoever needed to be shot. One time, I was positioned in overwatch with my 60 in someone's front yard. They came out bitching at me. I told them to go back inside or I would shoot them. They went back inside.

Alto! Baja tus armas. Manos arriba!
>>
>>29334011
>No you shouldn't attempt to detain the guy who just tossed his rifle after shooting at you! That's retarded.

>acquiring valuable intelligence by detaining enemy is retarded

Wow.

Also, lol Kuwait. The ROE in Kuwait is strict because the threat is low and because we are there by the good will of the Kuwaitis. If your guard force kills some Kuwaitis due to retardation, they're going to kick us out.

Likewise Iraq and Afghanistan late in the war. Their people government allowed our military presence via treaty. Piss them off by killing innocents and that ends.
>>
>>29334185
What do you mean? Can you give examples?
>>29335170
>restrictions on soldiers
>not poor depressed countries backed by rich angry countries
>not a lack of preparedness
>>
>>29334011
>Why should we be held to a higher standard of war when fighting an emeny that hides, in crowds of civilians, arms women and children, shoots our medics and attacks with suicide tactics.
To avoid becoming an enemy that hides in crowds of civilians, arms women(*) and children, shoots their medics and attacks with suicide tactics.
>>
>>29335627
>What do you mean?
Not him and my source is an Adam Curtis documentary (I can't actually remember which one right now, rather annoyingly, as it just briefly touched on this.)

I think it was something about reporting and targets (which makes me think it ties into 'The Trap') leading to something along the lines of:
>Someone shoots an old civilian woman
>Through a series of lies, half truths and checkboxes, by the time it's with some high-up bean counter this is registered as killing an ageless, genderless, enemy soldier.

Now whether that's accurate (and whether the inaccuracy is Curtis's or mine.) I'm not sure. (I'm also not entirely sure that's what >>29334185 was talking about, but I'll jump at the chance to invoke Curtis.)
>>
>>29334011
Because we are the good guys.
Errr....well we are ok guys.
>>
>>29335846
This is true at least with regards to drones. Any military aged male within close proximity to a target is considered an enemy combatant.
>>
>>29336074
This could hinge so much on how you define "close proximity".

A 15yr-old Arab kid watching and cheering on a mortar team definitely deserves it. Someone sitting in their house 15m away, maybe not.
>>
>>29334011
43. If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying.

ROE is politics getting the way of the military. "Playing fair" shouldn't be in military doctrine.
>>
>>29334340
Arab: tan dude with big nose and curly hair prone to lying to anyone not arab
Jew: not as tan dude with big nose and curly hair prone to lying to anyone not jewish
>>
>>29334096
>Dude, it's kuwait. Don't let him act like he went anywhere hard.
This.
>>
>>29336349
If someone gets hit by a bullet then he is in close proximity to a fight.
>>

Maybe you should think about military objectives and why some free for all ROE isn't applied.

Your butt isn't priceless to them. Otherwise they wouldn't ship you there.
>>
>>29336480
>"Playing fair" shouldn't be in military doctrine.
When it comes to battles between actual states, it's very reasonable to have rules.

Because you might be using the same soldiers in fights between actual state combatants and insurgents, it helps to avoid giving them relaxed notions about shooting civilians so that you don't end up in front of a war crimes tribunal for invading some tinpot shithole.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.