[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /k/, I've seen lots of really bulky guns in fiction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
Hey /k/, I've seen lots of really bulky guns in fiction like XCOM that are supposed to look futuristic, but could there actually be some merit to this? Specifically, will it be a necessity in the near future to consider the radar cross section or thermal signature of small arms or personal equipment? Could this technology be developed enough that bulky equipment with stealth or radar shielding would be necessary, or is my guess totally inaccurate?
>>
bunp
>>
>>29332047
Bulky weaponry and body armor for stealth just seems impractical desu senpai
>>
>>29332136
You mean that the added bulk wouldn't have a benefit even if it meant increased stealth?
>>
It could be developed and issued, but that doesn't mean it will be used. Unless the bulk has a clear advantage that the guy using it can see, it will be ditched quick. Anyone can see the benefits of the dick protector on an IBA, but nobody wears the shoulders.
>>
>>29332166
That makes sense. Could radar that small and precise be developed in the near future? Would it be able to be used effectively on targets that small?
>>
maybe if the extra bulk make the weapon super silent while adding little to no weight. but i don't see why a "firearm radar " would be based on heat - seeking instead of sound.
because yknow, until it has been fired enough , the gun is cold. and when it's fired well, it make noise so you can triangulate the noise instead.
also electronics on small arms seems retarded
>>
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 503x292) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 503x292
The closest thing to what you're describing
>>
>>29332240
No, it wouldn't be based on heat. It would be based on electromagnetic waves, just like actual radar. I'm talking about masking the actual radar signature of equipment, like a stealth aircraft or ship.
>>
>>29332316
So wrap the gun in radar absorbing fabric. No need to hide the receiver in a PS4.
>>
File: 1422071758401.png (336 KB, 502x486) Image search: [Google]
1422071758401.png
336 KB, 502x486
Having radar at the infantry level to detect other infantry is like using a magnifying glass as a scope on a rifle.

The detection of infantry via radar is GREATLY reduced when you have these wonderful things called trees, bushes, rocks, assorted foliage, Bob Ross's Canvas and whatever the fuck else to create deadspace where the enemy can move, and that's not even talking about terrain variation in itself.

There is just too much shit on the ground moving at slow speeds / is in the way of emitting waves for it to even be remotely viable.

Picking up a fast moving projectile to calculate an intercept solution for an APS: fine.

Trying to find some guy crawling the fuck around in defilade through a series of ditches when vastly superior observation technology like thermals exist... why even fucking bother?
>>
>>29332381
Interesting... I was just reminded of two other technologies that were being developed at the MIT Lincoln Laboratory, I think the first one was some sort of ultra high speed topographical scanning software that could take images of enormous amounts of land in short amounts of time, something like 10 or 12 city blocks in the span of a couple seconds from a high altitude UAV, at like 10 gigabytes per second, and it could be viewed in real time with things like foliage and tree cover able to be removed in post. The other new technology was a laser that could pick out someone from a large crowd and read their pulse, blood pressure and temperature from a long distance away. Would either of those technologies have significant applications as real time detection methods for military forces? Or would they still not be fast enough without the direct line of sight capability of IR.
>>
>>29332290
Is that a match?
>>
>>29332511
Integrally suppressed concept by silencerco iirc
>>
Since most Scifi weapons (especially in xcom) are power based, I'm going to go with batteries and power delivery.
>>
>>29332381

Heat can be picked up pretty easily, anything hot and moving could pop up as a person.
>>
>>29332154
think about what you just said...
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.