[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How good is the 7.62 TOK cartridge?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: 7.62tok.jpg (45 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
7.62tok.jpg
45 KB, 480x360
I'm interested in picking up a CZ52 after learning about how reasonably priced most of them are. I saw someone mention 7.62 TOK in a thread in relation to a 9mm, but I don't remember him being too elaborate on the round.

Is 7.62 Tok a good round? Is the CZ52 a good pistol, or are the two cheap for a reason?
>>
File: 1410229318177.jpg (3 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
1410229318177.jpg
3 MB, 4000x3000
>>29277303
30 Tok is a fucking great round. Shit is hot as fuck
>>
>>29277303

CZ52 can't really handle the 7.62x25 cartridge. Just google "CZ52 kaboom", "CZ52 cracked slide" etc.
>>
Not as good as 7.5 FK

>yes I'm starting this shitposting meme
>>
>>29277323
>a roller delayed firearm can't handle 7.62 tok

what
>>
>>29277400
The action type doesn't really determine strength, how well it's built is what matters. You can size up roller delayed blowback to 7.92mm Mauser but if the gun and action isn't designed and constructed to handle it, it won't.

Also the CZ52 isn't roller delayed, it's roller locked.

The issue I've heard talked about is how the CZ52 was initially designed for 9mm Luger (which is true), but was under Warsaw Pact orders then converted to 7.62mm Tokarev in a less than stellar manner (this I cannot confirm).

People have been shooting them for years without trouble, so who knows, but if you want to stay on the safe side, stick with whatever surplus ammo you can find, as well as regular commercial ammo, S&B, Wolf, Brown Bear, etc.
Don't go playing around with no crazy handloads.

I've heard people talk about supposed hotter "subgun loads" of 7.62mm Tokarev, which are a complete myth, there was no separate loads issued for pistols and subguns of the same caliber, they would use the exact same ammo.
It could be that people heard about these loads and attempted to cook up their own variant of the mythical subgun load (sans steel core), and then blew up their gun because it was originally a pistol meant for normal 9mm Luger loadings and the conversion can't handle +P+ crazy horse loadings of .30 Tokarev.
I kind of wonder if that is where this all comes from.
>>
>>29277824
From what I have read/heard the subgun ammo meme came from Bulgarian surplus x25 which is very hot. The Bulgarians never adopted the Tok in large numbers so most of their production went to submachine guns anyway.
As a side note the 1952 batches of Bulgarian x25 surplus are extra hot. I lost a Tok barrel to some of that. I am just happy I did not fire that in my CZ at the time.
>>
>>29278068
Sounds logical.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>29277303
7.62 Tok is a great round. Low recoil, big muzzle blast, cheap and fun. Very fast (I read about a company offering a defensive load that hit past 2100 fps) and very flat trajectory. I CC a Tok erryday, so I trust it. And you can get some JHP rounds from Privi for CC, which I'll do when I "upgrade" to a Zastava.
>>
>How good is the 7.62 TOK cartridge?
nodoublestackmagpistolsavailable/10
>>
Off topic

7.62 Tok is based on the 7.63 mauser cartridge. 7.63 mauser is also the parent case of 9mm luger. Theoretically, could I rebarel a robust 9mm handgun for 7.62 Tok?
>>
>>29277303

Bought mine a year ago for $150 and never looked back except for the shity ammo they threw in that misfired a lot.

It is like the makarov but better in every way.
It is more accurate and precise because of its top heavy frame, the 7.62x25 has more kinetic energy than 9x18 and is lighter so you can carry more round, it is designed for one handed shooting as well, and it is a viable melee weapon.

It is also upgradable, I reccomend getting the firing pin and rollers.
http://harringtonproducts.com

Why have you not bought a CZ52?
>>
>>29280583
If the rim diameter is the same, I don't see why not. Good like finding a barrel though.
>>
>>29280604
I don't care about availability, I just wanted to know if it could be done
>>
>>29280497
Norinco makes a 7.62x25 sig clone that has double stacked mags but they had to fall for bait and got perma b& in burgerland
>>
>>29280583
Shoot yes but you will have a single shot on your hands since 7.62 tok is longer than 9mm luger so that shit isn't going to fit in the mag. Rechambering a 9mm largo to 7.62 tok can easily be done with a barrel change though.
>>
>>29280857
I wonder how popular those would be in the US. They're apparently pretty good. Probably going to snag a DA P762 for an alternate CC myself.
>>
>>29280592

Damn, where were they going for $150?
>>
>>29282944
Local gunshow in Oklahoma. The grips were in bad shape, lost their color and a tad bit of damage.

Last one I was at I saw am SVT for 1400 and 1080 of 5.45 for $325
>>
OP here, thanks for all the responses.
I had a further question since the cartridge seems pretty good. Are there any rifles, lever guns, etc. currently available in 7.62 outside of PPSH clones? I was told a small number of ar-15 upper exist, but couldn't find anything on them.
>>
>>29284388
Please let this be a thing
>>
>>29277388
hey mr vp9
>>
>>29277388
you fucking monster
>>
>>29284388
Someone should make a Type 79 semi-only
>>
don't put 10 53 Bulgarian ammo in CZ52s.
>>
CZ52 has three parts that need replacing.

firing pin and rollers.

http://harringtonproducts.com/firing-pins/

get new ones from here.

original rollers can get out of round, due to being too soft. Which can cause the pistol o kaboom.

original firing pin is cast and drying firing it will cause it to work harden the shoulders of the pin. eventually the pin will break.

other thing to worry about is the chamber. it isn't as sturdy as the Tokarev. the pin that retains the roller cam. the hole it goes in is a little too close to the chamber. So that is a weak point.

then there is the decocker. even though the pistol does have a firing pin block. the decocker should not be trusted. if the firing pin block or the sear assembly wear. the decocker becomes another trigger.

that said. I own one and I love it dearly. I even CC it in a Falco holster from time to time. It is a neat piece of engineering, even if they did pick crap metals.

bulgarian surplus ammo is steel core and 1500 fps. so IIIA vests and plates are defeated by it out of a pistol.
>>
>>29277303
I don't get it, why isn't there any word of good conversion kits for tok pistols into something new like 9x23 winchester and/or something massive like 9mm mauser?
>>
>>29284388
email Niccolo / Arsenal Firearms to chamber the new strike alpha? in Tok
>>
>>29277303
>Is 7.62 Tok a good round? Is the CZ52 a good pistol, or are the two cheap for a reason?
No, no, and yes.

7.62x25 is a marginal round. There aren't many hollow point loadings available for it, if any, and all the guns made to shoot this caliber were designed for FMJs, meaning they may not feed hollow points reliably. So, basically, you're left with a very light bullet (will stop at barriers) that punches a very narrow but deep hole in your target - not really ideal for self-defense. Add onto that, the fact that the ammo is pretty expensive (since you can't find cheap surplus anymore), and it's really not something you're going to want to plink with or use for self-defense.

As for the CZ 52, these guns have a lot of problems, and the gun you get may be somewhat unsafe to shoot or carry. Do more research on these guns. There's a reason why they're cheap.
>>
>>29286067
85-90gr is not very light its lighter than average but its not some 45gr frangible target round that will stop in most barriers, it will go through car doors/body, dry wall, and wood easily.
>>
>>29286067
OP here, nothing better to do.
Wolf manufactures hollowpoints, if I wanted them.
As per being expensive... no? I just looked at bulk and non bulk purchases. about .28c to .38c per round. Obviously not the X<.12c cost of .22, but I'm not too concerned as long as it doesn't go over .50c a round.

As per research being done I have. problem seems to be due to some parts being made poorly.
>>29285488
This anon mentioned where to get parts to fix 75% of the issues it has. Which I would like to thank you for BTW, anon.

I'll probably end up getting this pistol soon, and buying 200-300 rounds for it for the moment.
Still interested in other possible options though.
>>
File: 20150106_184333.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20150106_184333.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
Have one. Like it very much. It's a hot little round too.
>>
>>29286704
Considering that I carry 180 grain HST's, yes, 85 grains is light. The projectile velocity is not fast enough to make that little weight do much damage. It will stop at the first bone it encounters and fragment instead of penetrating to the CNS.

>>29286801
I would absolutely not trust my life to Wolf hollow points. If you want to bulk buy this shit, then be my guest. I don't really understand the point of pinching a few pennies on a gun if you have the cash drop on 1000s of rounds of ammo at a time, but whatever.

Of course, you could just bulk buy 9mm and you can find it for $.16/rnd as of right now (https://www.slickguns.com/category/ammo?caliber=1).

The more important number is what the ammo goes for in stores, though. 9mm can be found for as low as $10-12 per box routinely. I've never seen 7.62x25 for under $17 per box, and many sporting goods stores don't even stock it. Buying a gun chambered in a common caliber will save you lots of money in the long run.
>>
>>29281019
I would buy it no doubt, saw it almost 2 years ago and fell in love. Sig saur style in tok goddamn must be fun as fuck to shoot. Damn canadians. I always wanted a cz 52 its designed so sexy as fuck. If i ever see one with an additional 9mm barrel I'd pay top dollar. Saw one once on gunbroker but was broke college student le sigh.
End blog.
>>
>>29286067
How is it not good for defense? Because overpenetration? Fuck that homie fbi paperwork has stated overpenetration ain't no thang when dealing with 10mm. Thoughts?
>>
>>29287034
I mean by that logic 55 grain .5.56 is weak as fuck right velocity be damned?
>>
>>29287131
>velocity be damned
Re-read my post...
>>
>>29286067

It's pretty obvious you have no idea what you are talking about. That being said, I do think tt-33s are better than cz-52s.

Anyways, I have never had any problems with my tok feeding the long list of increasingly stupid bullets I have put through it. My normal handload is a 90gr Hornady JHP. I have loaded everything from 70gr cast bullets, to 120gr wadcutters with no problems whatsoever.

7.62 tok is a hilarious little cartridge, and it killed enough krauts and political dissidents that its effectiveness is well known.
>>
>>29287034
>Tula 9mm
Bra for reals bra. You probably pump unleaded 87 in a nice car you could barely afford huh bra?
>>
>>29287166
Don't be a faggot. Anon was comparing it against strel cased 7.62x25.
>>
>>29287144
>he disagrees with me and i can't address any of his arguments, what do i do??.
>i know! i'll just call him 'clueless' and hope no one notices

I've owned two CZ 52's but thanks for playing.
>>
>>29287216

>His argument about feeding problem clearly mcfucked

>better say he didn't address my arguments.

Sure you owned two. Sure you own guns. Don't you need sleep for school tomorrow, or do they let kids out for saint paddy's now?
>>
>>29287034
You really have to roll your own if you want good projectiles in 7.62tok.
>>
>>29287034
>>29287140
Except 7.62x25 has been proven to penetrate bone better than .45acp. Hell 7.62 has been proven to penetrate everything better than .45.
>>
>>29284388
There are purpose built AR-15s and AKs in .30 Tok that use PPS mags.

There are also semi-auto "pistol" rebuilds of PPS-43 subguns (stock welded close, then the open bolt replaced with a closed bolt, featuring a separate firing-pin, and the FCG now has a hammer and sear like an AK)
>>
>>29285488
>bulgarian surplus ammo is steel core and 1500 fps
We've already established that the CZ52 is kind of weak though and that the Bulgarian surplus would rape it
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.