[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm getting a 1911 but I'm unsure as to which finish
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: Colt_Series_70_-_pic1.jpg (366 KB, 900x617) Image search: [Google]
Colt_Series_70_-_pic1.jpg
366 KB, 900x617
So I'm getting a 1911 but I'm unsure as to which finish I should get, since this is my first one:

I live in Houston and it gets real humid often, so should I go with the Stainless Steel or the Blued finish? What have yall gone with?
>>
I live out near Kemah. I have my blued one. It's not hard to keep rust off if you shoot/clean it regularly, even then it's not really that big of a deal. Run a rag with some gun oil over it every once in a while and it will never be a problem.
>>
>>29261092

How much have you paid for yours? I went on Gallery on Guns but they're seem really excessive compared to the ones on Gun trader
>>
>>29261163
Go to slickguns, find the 1911 of your choice, find best price and have it shipped to a dealer. Internet is your friend
>>
File: KimberSIIvzGrips4.jpg (751 KB, 1280x1006) Image search: [Google]
KimberSIIvzGrips4.jpg
751 KB, 1280x1006
>>29261060
I'm not wanting to push kimber here, just what I have, but up here in the midwest a blued finish would not last a day. If you're worried about rust go stainless of course, but be aware most of the barrels are rarely stainless and will need kept coated with something like boeshield t9.
>>
>>29261795

If I buy it from there, are they in new condition? Or am I going to end up being someone's used, beaten up series 70?
>>
>>29261795
Also protip, if you order from a state that doesn't have sales tax that more than covers shipping & ffl fee. Once you have a store & price in mind contact a dealer to start the process.
>>
>>29261848
So Guns-n-Ammo has a new 70 series for $815, just checked armsunlimited which has the same new Colt 70 series for $816.50 in stock and you wont have to pay sales tax. If series call them in the morning to confirm in stock, shop aroind for a local dealer that does ffl transfers (compare the fee cost), set up account at ______ website and order it. Should be to your dealer within a week. Go to local dealer, fill out paperwork, pay transfer fee, drive away with your sexy Colt and immediately to a range.
>>
>>29261060
My next purchase will be a series 70 or a Springfield Mil-Spec. Leaning toward the milspec cause SA custom shop prices are much lower for work
>>
>>29261060

Ruger SR1911. Cheapest reliable Stainless 1911 on the market right now at about $600-$650
>>
>>29263325
I like Ruger, wish they would follow suit like the GP Match Champion rather than Talo editions. Be nice to see a Mil Spec version and competition type
>>
>days later
>still can't decide between a parkerized SA loaded or a blued XSE
>>
>>29261060
lmao when you leave the gun shop you swing thru the trees with a bone thru ur nose to get to your mud hut, take a dump and wipe your butt with a pine cone and tell ur family goodnite by saying click click click lmao :D
>>
Stainless would help protect against rust but you should be coating all your firearms anyway. Wipe them down with some boeshield/corrosionx if it's a carry weapon or use EEZOX if you plan on keeping it in the safe.

renaissance wax also works wonders.
>>
File: series80 and rock island a1.jpg (977 KB, 2205x1275) Image search: [Google]
series80 and rock island a1.jpg
977 KB, 2205x1275
>>29261060
>>29261092
Sup houstonbros, friendswood here

picked up the colt today from a guy i met at the range for a whopping $560. i wasn't planning on another .45 but i couldnt let that one get away.

the RIA came from an online retailer almost 2 yrs ago for $420. its a good shooter, but it came from the factory needing a sight adjustment.
>>
>>29264190
forgot to mention, even here in this humid climate none of my guns have ever suffered for rust except when exposed to saltwater on hunting trips. just maintain and store your weapons well.
>>
File: image.jpg (167 KB, 1200x605) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
167 KB, 1200x605
>>
File: 1442870116229.jpg (86 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1442870116229.jpg
86 KB, 640x480
if really want a colt (some do, nothing wrong with it) look for a series 70 but you'll have better luck finding series 80

other than that basic stock GI models from Springfield, RIA, Ruger and Remington are ok. Id recommend going basic and built your way up to more custom parts as it can get expensive quick. If youre not a purist ive heard good things about Sig 1911s as well. The finish is up to you, blued will smudge and have prints easier though. Have you considered something in black like this?
>>
>>29264190
You lucky bastard. Pawn shop or classifieds?
>>
>>29264190
tfw league city tho
>>
>>29263325
>ruger.

Jesus, people still actually push them?

Get a Springfield. 3000 Rounds into my SS milspec and ive yet to have a single problem with it
>>
>>29265062
I have a Girsan 1911, $500, and it's doing ok.
>>
>>29265461
I hesitate to buy one because they are new here. Rock Island has a longer track record, cant remember the source but allegedly they are going to start production in Nevada. Girsan might be fine, same with MAC/SAM/ATI/Tisas/Iver Johnson but there isnt a long history to provide a track record. Typically I miss the bus on deals where new imports are sold cheap only to be marked up once the popularity rises. For under $600 I'm going SA Mil-Spec or Armscor
>>
>>29261060
Phosphate
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.