[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Boot Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 9
File: IMG_3870.jpg (163 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3870.jpg
163 KB, 1024x768
My boots (pic related) have the treads worn to nothing. Today I nearly face planted into a tractor pushing it into my garage after slipping on some wet leaves, so it's time for them to go - but I don't know what to get in replacement. What's a good place to try on new boots? Are there makes / models I should look for or avoid? Just something to wear all day, every day.
>>
File: 1442591123295.jpg (50 KB, 710x700) Image search: [Google]
1442591123295.jpg
50 KB, 710x700
Fits like a glove, good dry traction, waterproof.
>>
>>29216636
So I can sort of make out the "Harl_ Dav_"...but what model boot?

Also...Danner, Red Wing.
>>
>>29216740
>Harl_ Dav_

..Harley Davidson?
>>
>>29216750
I'm assuming so, yes
>>
>>29216740
Harley Davidson, after a few years, well, there used to be tread anyway.
I checked /fa/'s catalog to see if they had any ideas but fuck, there is something wrong with those people.
>>
>>29216882
>/fa/
>having any knowledge of quality boots
Pick one.

What's your budget? Good boots aren't cheap but they are worth. I used to wear Timberland and Red Wings. Still wear some Red Wings. However, made the jump into custom White's and they are well worth it imo. Lots of people will recommend Red Wing, Danner, Lowa, Salomon, Merrell. All good, you just need to figure out your preferences and applications. I wear Merrell Moabs most days for work but have been eyeballing some Salomon hiking boots.
>>
>>29217039
$200 would be about my upper limit. Weight is also a non issue. Some people think it's important that boots don't weigh anything, but I really don't care as long as they are comfortable.
>>
>>29217081
You can find decent boots at that budget. I'd take a look at your local Red Wing dealer and have them measure your foot. Poke around and if you see a boot that fits your budget, get it. I personally would go for a good year welted boot as they can be resoled. Otherwise, check out Danner and Thorogood on Amazon.
>>
File: 1371793827882.jpg (87 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1371793827882.jpg
87 KB, 500x500
>>29216729
>>
>Trying to find everyday shoes comfortable enough to walk around in
>Fucking 11 1/2 5E size foot or some shit

I'm fucked. Blueberry fucked.
>>
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 287x176) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10 KB, 287x176
>>29216636
How tall you want these boots? I love my boots tall. To where it borders on obsessive (don't own short boots)

For my money:
Every day: Frye. See pic related. Own these exact ones. Last for EVER. Durable as fuck.

Dressy: Fluevog Keatons (in the brown, not the purple, you goddamn fruitcake) shown in followup post, possibly the most comfortable boot I ha e ever worn. Feels like soft-handed women are holding you up by your feet. But I assume from the soft materials it could bot be worn every day.
>>
File: detail.jpg (30 KB, 710x533) Image search: [Google]
detail.jpg
30 KB, 710x533
>>29217875
Muh Keatons.
I wear these out shootin.
>>
>>29216636
redwings friend. i wear a pair of 8" slip-on style with a good half inch of tread on them. i dont slip, theyre comfortable and only cost me about $220
>>
Look at some Bates boots. I've had the same pair for the past 3 years and they are still holding up.
>>
>>29217875
I have a pair of Fryes that were my fathers and the soles finally gave out a month ago
>>
File: boots.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
boots.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
pic related. the Fryes on the right are old af
>>
>>29216636
Get 5.11
>>
File: bilde[1].jpg (251 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
bilde[1].jpg
251 KB, 600x800
The only boots I own are Muck Boots. I mostly wear goretex trail runners and gaiters if needed otherwise.
I've always felt clumsy as shit in boots, are they honestly worth the trade offs for the ankle protection when you're hiking?
>>
>>29218253
70's vintage? I have a pair of Frye's exactly like those that belonged to my father when he was in college. I prefer my black harness boots nowadays though.
>>
I work in a shoe repair shop and I can tell you that honestly if you really like those, you can simply get them resoled for ~$100. The combat boot style sole would suit those well without looking too faggy. Harley boots are pretty tough in my experience, so it may be worth looking into if you're particularly attached to those. A lot of people don't like them, but those nike goadome boots are by far the most comfortable boots I've ever owned and can be had for under $200. Biggest problem with them is that once the sole is worn down the bubbles go too. Took me about 2 years of working outdoors to get mine that bad though.
>>
>>29218360
see
>>29218185
>>
File: Junglerunners.jpg (7 KB, 295x171) Image search: [Google]
Junglerunners.jpg
7 KB, 295x171
>>29216636
Dear OP.

I recommend Belleville jungle runners, or some type of Belleville boots. I own a pair of mini mils, and Kyber goretex and love still after 1.5 years them.
If you are eurofag I dunno.
>>
>>29218365
>>29218365
offhand do you know if Carhartts are resolable? my tread is not aggressive enough, and I need to upgrade the shank to be inflexible?
>>
>>29218661
They should be, but I would check in on your local repair shop to see what options they have in ways of different soles. There's no shortage of cobblers out there, so don't get discouraged if you can't immediately find what you want. Shouldn't be more than $120 if you're shipping it out btw.
>>
>>29218365
I've never had any strong feelings one way or another towards boots. But given these cost less than ~$100, there's no real point in getting them resoled.

>>29218632
>>29217990
>>29218006

Going to look into all of these, especially the Bellevilles & Gates which look perfect for my needs. I'm kind of nervous about buying boots online with expectation that they won't fit. I wish I could find a dealer that sold them locally.
>>
>>29216636
If the leather is in good condition, is there a cobbler in your area? I know it's a dying tradition, but you may be surprised. Also a great place to buy nice quality belts.
>>
File: boot.png (2 MB, 937x1189) Image search: [Google]
boot.png
2 MB, 937x1189
just got these, they are p comfy. KEEN master race work boots though
>>
If the outsole of a boot is glued to the midsole it is not resoleable
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.