[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Competition & Practical Shooting General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: some guy.gif (297 KB, 1070x610) Image search: [Google]
some guy.gif
297 KB, 1070x610
Competitive/Practical Thread

Previous >>29173736
>>
>>29198547
What shorts are those?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-Wn_nRLyII
>>
>>29198547
Kydex gets here for my holster tomorrow
>I'm so excited

Who here
>Steel Challenge
>>
Has anyone ever done "one gun" matches, specifically tactical carbine? How is that?
>>
>>29199545
Nobody? World speed shooting championship?
>>
>>29198547
Like, six people on /k/ actually shoot competitively

These threads ALWAYS die with a handfull of replies.
>>
>>29198547
How do you guys practice with a pistol?? Do you have a few homemade targets and practice drawing and hitting a few targets as fast as possible? Do you move and shoot too?? Pls respond.
>>
>>29200453
For steel challenge I practice a lot of dry holster work and fundimentals at home since the draw is a great place to save time.

At the range I practice first shot from the holster accuracy and speed as well as target transitions and shooting targets at 100+yds to make me feel more comfortable with the 35yd shot in one stage.
>>
>>29200673
How close did you start with with your first shot from a draw?? 10 yards or is that too close?? Not a complete novice with a pistol but I've never practiced drawing and shooting.
>>
>>29200952
Depends on target size. For a paper plate I usually go 10 yards to warm up, once I'm under a second I move it out to 15 and stay there, second-fifth targets are put further.

For 18x24 targets I'm usually at 25-35
>>
>>29200427
Do you accept tips?
>>
>>29201494
Only if it's not a wad of singles. Why?
>>
>>29199795
I've done a decent amount of IDPA carbine. Match director sets up a decent amount of transitions though so it still requires two guns.

IDPA is slower and has an emphasis on choreography and cover.

It's entertaining for sure and a decent environment to test out to see how your gear works. There's still gaming, but not as much as USPSA
>>
>>29201732
What kind of belt do you use for competition?

Deciding between a regular style reinforced leather gun belt or a more competition style inner-outer belt.
>>
>>29201928
>gaming
Does this mean cheesy competition stuff that's only to shave time but not necessarily real-world practical?
Just going off context clues, could be way off.
>>
>>29201963
That's absolutely correct. All of them have some level of gaming. Why? It's a competition with rules and ranks. In a competitive setting, people are always going to try and do what it takes to be on top.

IDPA tries to limit by adding lots of limitations to magazine capacity and how far your gun can be strapped from your body, optics on pistols, etc. It's done a lot to prevent gaming but it's also limited it's appeal. It also has a lot of appeal to those who want some concealed carry practice and low cost of entry for equipment.

There's no HIGH SPEED LOW DRAG ELITE OPERATOR only shooting competitions out there. There's always a limitation to how you can set up your shooting matches and still maintain appeal.
>>
>>29202033
Intredasting.

So does IDPA ban all optics & lasers?
>>
>>29201928
Damn. Im a sub 21, so I was looking for something not needing pistol
>>
>>29201950
I would say it depends. If you want to start gaming like JJ and stuff you'll want to run those velcro double belts like so http://www.doublealpha.biz/double-alpha-competition-belt

If you just want to go out and have fun, git gud with your gear without messing with the open class shit. Just bring enough mags/ammo and whatever you normally shoot with and get as good as you can with it.
>>
>>29202109
Yeah, it's really lame. They need to catch up with the times. No lights/lasers and optics on handguns. They say they have an emphasis on conceal carry but lots of people carry those on a regular basis. My carry gun in it's current configuration isnt technically IDPA legal. It's kind of silly considering the technology these days.

USPSA has allowed carry optics. So that means you can run optics without going full race gun. It's got a low turnout, but at least they recognize it.
>>
>>29201950
>more competition style inner-outer belt.
Do this unless you're practicing with your EDC, trust me.
>>
>>29202163
why? bls give more than "trust me", i dont know you

>>29202124
what kind of gaming does jj and others do?
>>
>>29202195
>>what kind of gaming does jj and others do?

Want to look cool like jerry miculek? Want to shred a course like that recent keanu video?
Go buy competition gear.

You want to just go play around with your EDC gear and git gud? Just go and do that.

This is what I did though.
Shot with whatever gear I had. I bought extra mags and a holster. Just went to the local clubs and shot. Eventually bought a couple mag pouches and stuck with that for more than a year. Figured out exactly how I wanted my set up and then bought it after trying my first match two years ago. It'll take time to figure if you what kind of matches you want to shoot if you shoot them regularly and then what kind of gear you want to set up for after that.

Beyond that, the decision is up to you.
>>
>tfw the only way to get something like this in your area is to buy and set everything up yourself
>tfw 3 grand into steel with another grand being spent this year on hostage targets
>tfw finally getting people into the practical side of handgun shooting
>>
>>29202246
>want to be jerry miculek
>want to do ur edc
In between, nerd. My EDC is a pocket 380, I want to use my full size 9mm in a sensible & practical configuration and OWB holster.

>>29202306
Get members and set up a membership fee to fund shit. Set that precedent from the get go, if you let them mooch at the start, when you eventually start charging a club fee, everyone will bail.
>>
>>29202385
I have land that some of it is set up on, but I'll take a couple steel challenge sets with me to a country range I like to go to.with friends. I may at a later date set something up if I get a lot of interest from other people, but right now it's just for fun.
>>
>>29202195
>why? bls give more than "trust me", i dont know you
External belt allows better support of gear and makes it easy to position, as well as throw on/off as needed without changing location of holsters or other gear.

>>29202385
>In between, nerd. My EDC is a pocket 380, I want to use my full size 9mm in a sensible & practical configuration and OWB holster.
Not him but, you can rock a good kydex OWB and mag pouches on a carry belt in your pants, or get an external belt with a drop holster like a BladeTech-pro and a duty sized 9mm and basically be "Practical/Tactical" competing. It's not full retard racegunning, but it's definitely a step beyond a normal carry rig.

Either way, an external belt is more comfortable and you can just strap it on for range day.
>>
>>29200427
RIDF here.
I shoot IPSC shotgun. Got teams medal from Shotgun World Shoot 2015 in Italy.
>>
>>29202784
Gear? Stories?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.