[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do I really need to get a gun safe or is it just a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5
Do I really need to get a gun safe or is it just a meme?
>>
i dont fucking know, think for yourself faggot
>>
>>29166375
Depends on the laws of where you live. Just don't leave guns lying around in the middle of your house or whatever if you don't plan on getting a safe.
>>
File: 1447618177703.jpg (113 KB, 352x327) Image search: [Google]
1447618177703.jpg
113 KB, 352x327
>tfw that paranoia of leaving your guns when going to a trip outside the country for two weeks
>>
Yes, you must (MUST) get a gun safe of at least 180kg, and anchored by at least 4 (FOUR) bolts to the structure, whether by the base (eg. through concrete foundation or wooden floorboards) or the wall stud.
>>
>>29166417
Tbh this is good advice senpai.

I hide the heirloom in a special spot =)
>>
>>29166375
>mfw, it really is a meme

I wouldn't worry about it, Anon.
>>
>should I get a safe for my easily transportable high dollar value possessions

You tell me.
>>
>>29166439
Make sure you orientate it in a corner, with the opening side closest to the wall, so it can't be prised open, too.
>>
OP here, isn't it like ridiculously easy to break into safes though? Most of the sub $1k ones I've seen are practically made out of aluminum foil. Is there a point of you're not going to spend a fuck ton for a good safe?
>>
>>29166375

Around here, memes are memes because they're worth something.
Keep that in mind, anon.
>>
>>29166493
A safe is only to buy time because you should have a security system in your home in the first place. That being said, cheaper safes are relatively easy to bust in.

Any safe can be broken if burglars have an hour or two to themselves.
>>
Think about one with a good fire rating.
>>
>>29166413
This. I recently came back from a trip and ran straight to my safe to fingerfuck my guns.
>>
>>29166493
Most "budget" safes are literally sheetmetal cabinets with drywall built in (if it claims to be fire rated). If a criminal was motivated to get into the safe, they could either cart it out with an appliance dolly, simply break into it with a 3' prybar, or angle grinder anywhere on the box. They're shockingly easy to get into, youtube will verify. Again, they're sheetmetal cabinets unless you pay used car prices for them.

That being said, safes are decent for keeping the average crackhead and drunken house guest out of so long as its locked and bolted to the structure. The really big (and good) ones won't be going into a sideroom where a casual tour of the house would reveal it. If your house is kinda small and a large (good) safe is going to be in an awkward room, then you're spending too much on toys and a safe, and should have bought a nicer house.

As someone who is involved with home invasions and burglaries (insurance) they either take the entire fucking safe if its under 500lbs, or leave it the fuck alone. I would hazard an estimate that 9 out of 10 safes are really just peace of mind and to keep kids away from guns.
>>
>>29166375
>it just a meme
What does this word even mean anymore?
>>
>>29166605
>to keep kids away from guns
This. This. This. It probably won't deter a determined competent thief, but it'll stop kids.
>>
>>29166375
I've had well-hidden guns ripped off. I'll never be without a safe again.
>>
>>29166670
What was your hiding spot?
>>
>>29166605

This guy has most the bases covered. I want to also emphasize that one of the best forms of defense you've got is not to tell everyone you fucking know that you've got guns.

Your doomsday scenario would be a situation where a robber knows you've got a safe and brings his shit to try and break into it. A would-be smash-n-grab thief isn't going to carry around tools like that and risk getting caught with them, unless he KNOWS he's gonna use them.

So, best line of defense, hide your fucking power level.
>>
If someone knows you own guns, and have them in a safe, and wants to steal them. Yeah sure they're going to get them when you're not around. An angle grinder can cut into one, a hand drill can poke holes in it. I could get into a gunsafe with some tools in my shed if I wanted to

The same is true about anything, if someone wants something of yours that badly that they're willing to break the law to get it, not much is going to stop them

A safe won't stop everything, but it will stop more than not having a safe.

It will stop a kid from taking them and thinking it'd be funny to shoot his friend with it, or a guy who broke in looking for cash from grabbing your guns and selling them to a pawn shop, or an antigun relative from taking them to a police buyback, or a depressed teenager trying to kill himself.
>>
>>29166687
Under the couch cushions.
>>
It really IS worth the investment into a good safe if you're going to collect firearms. Even if you only have a few, it's worth the risk mitigation.

If your guns are stolen and used in a crime, and you didn't even try to lock them up, then at the very least you're going to look like an asshole.
Insure your valuable possessions, and lock them up.

Please.
>>
Good advise:
-Buy a safe
-Hide the safe
-Bolt down the safe
-Get a safe alarm
-Hide the safe like a secret squirrel
>>
>>29170610
-Put your safe in a safe
-Lock the safe safe in a vault
-Hide the vault in a volcanic cave
-Hire a furry to dress like a dragon to protect your volcanic gun cave
>>
Please watch this video before buying a safe! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8
>>
>>29166444
Nigwalker detected.
>>
Its nice to have it also serve to shut up anti gun faggots and its a good safety and Police likes it

>hurr i bet ya got the guns lying all over the house
>>
>>29166605
What if I don't want a big house, anon?
My dream is to have a ~1000sqft ranch house with attached 1.5/ 2 car garage and 100+ acres of land.
>>
>>29168542
>antigun relative taking them to a buyback
Nightmare fuel.
Also theft
Felony theft I think?
>>29170588
That's a shitty spot.
>>
>>29170903

Have a loaded handgun on your person at all times and a shotgun or rifle beside your bed with a trigger lock on it when you're not around. Bury the rest in the middle of your 100 acres.
>>
>>29170903
Currently house shopping, and I just want an 800- 1100 sqft place, fuck empty space that needs to be heated and cooled.
>>
>>29170610
And then SHUT THE FUCK UP about having guns and a safe.

That's the big one. Don't tell everybody that you've got a safe hidden somewhere. It's an invitation to come have a magical treasure hunt starring your shit.
>>
>>29170933
>100 acres.
>100 acre woods

Welcome to you, and how do you do. Everybody's chambering at Glock Corner...

Fuck I'm old if I can remember the Welcome to Pooh Corner theme song.
>>
>>29166375
>calling things memes
It's a testament to the age groups shitting up /k/ since the huge influx of 12 and 13 year olds in 2012.
>>
>>29166375
buy one good and a small cheap shit one.
hide the good one and put the shit one in open sight.
>>
File: received_10153472718698435.jpg (36 KB, 508x509) Image search: [Google]
received_10153472718698435.jpg
36 KB, 508x509
I have a security cabinet so people don't mess with my guns and insurance if their destroyed in a fire. Unless you get some super high end commercial safe a thief can steal it if they want.
>>
>>29170588
thats a real shitty spot desu senpai
>>
>>29166375

https://youtu.be/ltK-bDbADa8?t=88
>>
>>29166375
Do you NEED to? That's your call, but your pic isn't anything more than a metal box that will keep toddlers from playing with your guns. If you are actually looking to protect your valuables you need to do some research and buy a real safe.
>>
>>29170861
>weaponseducation

That guy's the type of nigga to stare people down at the locker room
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (36 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
36 KB, 1280x720
what's /k/s opinion on concealed cabinets?
>>
Would a safe be recommended for someone who lives alone in an apartment?
>>
>>29174626
A safe exists to protect goods against fire or pilfery. If your goods are in danger of fire damage or being pilfered, then maybe consider a safe.
>>
>>29174626
Yes definitely. I used to bring bolts or other major but small parts with me on my longer trips and also of course all the papers (invoices, declaration because eurofag, club membership, etc. related to the guns. Now I just bring papers. Also it's very handful to organize and keep your guns in a good condition. You can control moisture and temperature, it prevents visitors from seeing the guns hanging around and it's good looking.
>>
>>29170861
>>29174237
Why doesn't he blink....
>>
>>29174361
this makes my wee wee hard.
>>
Get a safe. I was on vacation for a week and some faggots broke into my house and snagged a rifle and shotgun, some knives, and ammo. Also get a security system (you'll probably get a discount on your homeowner/renters insurance with one). Put your safe in a walk-in closet or other inconspicuous area. Having firearms stolen fucking sucks, even though they were covered under my insurance.
>>
>>29174361
>tfw no concealed safe
But is this door actually a safe? If yes, 8/10 would not try to steal, if it is not made of solid steel, 3/10 eventually your guns will be stolen by your little nephews.
>>
>>29176217
Nah it's only got wood behind the mirror and the lock is just a magnet. Was looking all day for a better one, but it seems you can only choose between concealed or security, not both.
>>
>>29166605
So you're saying if I want my safe safe, I should load it with five hundred pounds of lead?
>>
>>29177832
Consider the following:

Even if you were to use 1oz cartridges would would be large and expensive, you would need 8000 of those 1oz cartridges.

Say you used something common like 45acp, 1000 rounds is 45 pounds. Your safe would have to be rather large to hold over 10,000 rounds just as ballast. I've got a 50cal can of 45acp in my closet, 10 of those would eat up all the useful space of a safe for any guns larger than a pistol. It certainly wouldn't fit in the $250 budget cabinets.
>>
>>29178443
No, I just mean solid lead in the safe.
>>
>>29166375
Well. An OK safe is $1000. Before I bought a safe I looked in my closet and saw $10,000 worth of guns.

Then I went and bought a fucking safe.
>>
>>29166375
It may be law, depending on where you live.

While a determined theif can steal anything, I like to thtow as many obstacles and barriers to take up their time.

To the OP and all other snons out there, if you had 20,000 dollars in gold coins, would you simply leave it on the living room table or at the very least put it in a lock box hidden aways or a safe?

Concealment is valid, but locks and sturdy containers that deters those without tools is a must. Some safes are beter than others, but I feel evrn the most basic locker to store your gubs while away on vacation is better tgan just keeping yhem in cases in your closet that are easy and somple to just pick up and walk out the door in less than 0 minutes in a smash and grsb with maybe a few cliset checks, bed turnings and drawers pulled out.
>>
>>29166417
>>29166577
Tis a terrifying fear to have when away from your guns but such a relieving and pleasurable feeling to be reunited with them.
>>
>>29170610
First rule of being a firearms owner, is that you do not talk about your guns.

Second rule of being a firearms owner, IS THAT YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT YOUR GUNS!
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.