[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
18 yr old interested in Army Special Forces
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 5
Hey guys I'm an 18 year old and I'm considering enlisting in the army program that lets you go to special forces training after boot camp. I'll be 19 July 13th. I feel emotionally prepared as both parents are dead, mom when I was 7 dad when I was 17, dads death was traumatic because I picked up his dead body, saw blood from his nose shoot out as his head flung back, and set his body on the floor and saw it fall limp like a ragdoll, then felt his sternum bones crack under the pressure of my hands while performing chest compressions. I handled the situation fairly calmly for a 17 year old. I was also sexually and physically abused by an older friend from the age of about 8-10; I don't know if that's really relevant. I guess I'm trying to say is I'm very desensitized at this point. I really do feel like all I need is a year and a half training period, I'll train physically and mentally. Can I get any and all advice /k/?
>>
First off, all that shit you just posted? Never bring it up again. It offers you literally zero advantages.

Secondly, sure, go for it. But don't expect to make it.
>>
You don't have to be desensitized to be SF. Your experience means nothing. Being physically able and mentally strong to keep going even when your body does not is what matters. Having dead parents doesn't put you ahead of the SF game compared to all the guys who do have living ones.
>>
>>29135153
Well how do I better prepare myself to make it instead of just expecting to?
>>
>>29135134

You're going to wash out of every MOS but trash man and cook.
>>
>>29135168
Be physically capable beyond your peers. Follow orders.
>>
>>29135171
What's your MOS?
>>
>>29135168
You must be a god. Run like a motherfucker. Lift like a motherfucker. Do calisthenics like a motherfucker. Swim like a motherfucker. And then do it all over again with more and more restrictions on yourself. Then, when you are at selection, you will laugh at the puny attempt they call physical activity.
>>
>>29135134
got about two sentences in before i decided to not read the rest. no one cares about your edgy dead parents story faggot.

special forces is for intelligent, well adjusted, motivated people who would be successful in the civilian world. you belong in the regular army, if at all.
>>
>>29135168
work out, work out, work out, then work out some more. dont even start the enlistment process until you have a 300 APFT. but the fact you havent even done the basic googling required to figure this out on your own makes me doubt if special forces is for you
>>
>>29135247
Becoming more self sufficient would be part of the mental training process I was talking about
>>
>>29135241
It's not impossible to become totally adjusted and self-motivating within the span of a year and a half
>>
File: 1428872534810.png (344 KB, 394x497) Image search: [Google]
1428872534810.png
344 KB, 394x497
>>29135134
Nice story jackass, guess what; Nobody gives a flying fuck.

Don't try and join SF with that attitude and definitely not at that age.

Just become a fucking muhreen for 10 years then try.

Maybe when you toughen the fuck up, you'll get a second look

Those "Army programs" that promise to naive kids that they will be oper8rs in 2 years are LYING. They reject everyone but note down who MIGHT make it in 10 years time.
>>
people will tell you its "all about heart" and you dont need to worry about fitness. dont listen to those people. you can look up the statistics, chances of getting selected is strongly correlated with PT score.
after you are in shape, you can worry about memorizing army knowledge bullshit (armystudyguide.com), studying for whatever specialty you want, buy an AR and practice shooting similar to an army marksmanship test, and language learning.
keep in mind your overall chance of success is like 10%, but if you actually do all that it would be 80-90%
>>
>>29135280
this is straight up not true. 18x's chance are lower than someone starting the program after already being in, bu plenty of people do it.
also OP is trying to do SF, why would he become a marine.
civilian detected
>>
>>29135283
That's all doable in two years
>>
>>29135338
no shit its doable, the question is if you are going to do it
>>
>>29135344
SIR YES SIR. FAGGOT.
>>
>>29135346
stay out of the army bud
>>
>>29135351
See you in two years.
>>
I am close friends with a former Green Beret jump master (I don't know official terminology, dirty civilian here)
And I asked him about how he prepared for military enlistment. He played college football and double majored in political science and economics then got a masters in policy school. He kept working out with his football team in school and went 18b eventually.
His advice to me for SF training was "nothing can prepare you. Become as physically fit as possible and don't speak a single word unless spoken to. Once you get into Ranger school or GB selection be as unconventional as possible"
Not sure what that means but hey the dude didn't get where he did by being a normal grunt.
>>
First of all it's Basic Training, you're not going to be a Marine. Second, looking at the qualifications to be a basic "special forces" guy is a joke compared to the other branches. I'm not saying any one is better but you should just stay out, you'll be better for it.
>>
>>29135134

>Special Forces.

No.

But you can become rich as fuck with your sociopathic tendencies and edgy outlook, then do some ninjutsu in Tibet and maybe, just maybe you will be hero the Gotham needs.
>>
>>29135422
10/10 ebin - obie :DDD

No but seriously I'm going for it worst case scenario I land in the army and the GI Bill covers my dream of being a forensic psychologist fuck anyone
>>
>>29135134
Ok first,,,never mention al that shit you posted again.
Second I will offer you some advice frm the perspective of someone who failed out. I almost made it but I spazzed out and got peered out.
>Enlist as Infantry
The 18X program is either going away or already gone, in any case SF hates those guys and fails them on purpose. I saw that first hand.
>Run, ruck, flutter kicks and push ups
How far do you need to ruck or run? ALL THE WAY and do it fast. 2Hrs, 6 miles with at least 80lbs (less in selection but this will prep you for the other shit). Be able to ace the APFT and know that they will make you do all kknds of PT in selection and do it while wet and covered in sand
>start as Infantry
Most guys come to selection as 11B, those that dont are at a severe disadvantage (scout MOS is helpful too)
>Never quit
Thats what the instructors at selection are trying to make you do.
>remember not every task they give you is possible to succeed.
They judge you on how you adapt to failure.
>Dont spazz out on your shit bag team mates
You have to work with people you HATE. They all told me the guy I spazzed on was a shit bag but I crossed the line when I screamed I hope his kids die in a fire. (He got booted to for shitbaggery)

Good luck.
>>
>>29135134

Make sure to tell the recruiter your story which seems EXTREMELY TRUE.
>>
>>29135291
>plenty of people do it

Give me the percentage of successful 18x candidates. Then give the percentage of 18 series guys who had at least two years time in service. Then look up the definition of "plenty".
>>
>>29135910
It literally is true. I live with my older brother.
>>
>>29135134
If you tell anyone that story they will think you are an edgy faggot and kick you out.
>>
File: CG_Shadow_11.png (4 MB, 2079x3722) Image search: [Google]
CG_Shadow_11.png
4 MB, 2079x3722
>>29135134
>All this spaghetti

Dude everyone has baggage and it sucks for everyone, but none of that shit is relevant. I don't know where you're getting the idea that desensitization is necessarily a desirable trait in a soldier.

I met a lot of dudes in college who were various flavors of milfag and many had families. You have to be able to justify what you do to yourself, that's far and away from feeling nothing.
>>
>>29135791
Thank you.
>>
I cant remembet the last day whete I didnt browse K, but I can remembet that every "interested in joining sf, heres my back story" has never made it. Apart drom that weirdass brit 'sas' giy who posts once every 2 years lol.
>>
>>29135280
>destroy your joints for 10 years in the muhreens, then try out for SF and wash out because your knees are ground to dust and your back is fucked up.
>>
>>29138605
I really don't fucking care about anyone before me, dude.
>>
>>29138856
the "i'm better than everyone else who tried the same things" attitude is a big red flag for the cadre. humility is a must.
>>
>>29138873
I will try to the best of my abilities to prepare myself mentally, physically, and as a man for special forces training. It's all on me to make the necessary improvements.
>>
>>29138856
You will fail then.
>>
>>29138898
What does what I said imply about me that suggests I'm not fit for SF? Personality traits can be fixed. Please. All advice in this thread I've written down.
>>
>>29138917
jesus just go post on shadowspear or some shit you're too boring for /k/
>>
>>29138917
Place everyone else in your unit above you. Their well being takes precedence. Selflessness. Jump on a grenade to save your three buddies.

During Ranger training, the cadre would through a duct taped MRE in the middle of our formation and yell, "Medal of Honor drill!" Everyone would try to dive on it. The one who got the "grenade" was rewarded. They stood outside of the formation while everyone else got smoked.

Point being - your life belongs to your team. It is no longer yours.
>>
>>29135134
I just finished selection as a 19 day non-select.

What are your questions?
>>
>>29139009
>thinks dodging a smoking is selfless
You're too retarded to live
>>
>>29135134
You're not "desensitized"
Your experiences won't give you an advantage
If anything, your post reeks of mental instability rather than toughness
>>
>>29139102
You're a civilian.
>>
The psych eval is pretty extensive. It was a long time ago but IIRC testing and interviews with the SF psychs lasted about 5 hours. If you exhibit any mental or emotional traits that indicate you're not a suitable candidate you won't get selected. A large number of questions involved reactions to different scenarios. I passed answering honestly and I'm no sociopath, so I suspect someone who is numb to emotional pain and suffering won't be a good candidate. They want soldiers who can think rationally and analyze the consequences of their actions. They'll also ask you the same questions over and over but worded differently. They'll catch you if you're trying to manipulate the test.

There was no 18x when I went through. You had to have 3 years time in service to be considered. Enlist as 11B or 19D if you're serious and get some experience learning the basics. SF is no place to learn basic unit drills. Master land nav, weapons skills, and PT. Next you'll need approval from your CoC which will be the first line of defense to weed out non-qualified candidates. If they don't think you have what it takes, then you probably don't.

Enlist Airborne at a minimum. Get that out of the way and figure out whether or not you have the balls to do it for a living. Once you start jumping night mass tacs you'll find it's far more dangerous than you think. You need to know for sure. Hell, even Chris Kyle was terrified of jumping and that man was damn near fearless.

Once you get selected the Q course is more mental that physical but one goes with the other. Physical pain just doesn't mean as much to the folks who make it that far.
>>
To add to my post above
19D - 1986-1992
18D - 1992-1997
>>
>>29138917
Write down this then.

You're not gonna make it because you're immature and mentally unstable. You're not well adjusted to the civilian world and you'll probably not adjust well to the military world.

Just get help or help yourself. Why don't you get a job, grow a bit older and get an understanding for the real world and figure out who you really are and then start thinking about joining. Because damn, right now you're like a fifteen year old and you'd probably not even make it into the army.
>>
>>29139385
To add to this post, if your experiences are true then you'd most likely be nothing but a liability for your team.
>>
>>29135134
18D here. The fact that you think your weird fucking childhood is s redeeming quality, you don't stand a fucking chance. You sound like a weirdo that'd get peered if you miraculously pass the psych eval.
>>
>>29139360
ODA?
>>
>>29135919
Not op, but success rate of booties making selection (not counting training dropouts) is about 2%, 18xray is the single greatest 11b recruiting tool ever created. The average SF soldier has attempted selection 5 times.
Smart people sign with the Rangers for the pay bonus, or interrogations to have a head up on being army standard bilingual and then attempt selection.
>>
>>29135791
>3 hours for 12 miles. Most finish around 2:15-2:30
>>
>>29139095
Based on what people are saying in this thread, how do I not get peered(what's your advice to me)?

Any tips or pointers on preparing mentally and emotionally?

Any general advice at all, anything and everything, for hopeful future Special Forces soldiers?
>>
>>29139442
And "forced march" means run downhill, range walk uphill.
>>
>>29139459
Be a cool guy and be able to move a shitton of weight during team week.

Lots of heavy lifting, and rucking. That's it.
>>
>>29139459
In terms of mentally and emotionally and all that bullshit, I've no advice.

I didn't find the course that challenging, honestly. I don't know anyone that really did. Of course it's going to suck, but it's not like some incomprehensable level of pain.
>>
>>29135134
Go to a shrink no one wants to here you bitch. PUSSY
>>
>>29139405

Yes until I crushed my ankle in a HMMWV accident. My last 9 months in ODB during recovery but they ended up giving me a medical. They were never going to put me back on jump status.
>>
>>29139262
False, but please continue to confirm my suspicions sonny
>>
>>29139636
Turn half right, assume the front leaning rest position and start exercising until I tell you it is 2017.

Fuck stain.
>>
>>29139534
Fight me beta
>>
>>29135134
I'm sure this has been said before, the Special Forces are highly sought after by almost all branches. There are probably 100s of military personal on a list waiting for their chance to push themselves to prove they got what it takes.

Basically, Special Forces is not something you 'want to try', it's something your dead set on completely and you'll break your own mind, body and spirit in order to gain that title.

If you're not 110% committed, don't waste your time
>>
>>29139626
Sorry. I was wondering which ODA you were in.

Hate to hear about your ankle.

When I was in LRS, two rangers behind me in the 130 ended up below me during decent. They were leap frogging. The last joe fell 110 feet. The 2nd trooper landed right on top of him. Broke his back. 1/75 combat vet. Surgeries UTA on his spine. He ended up killing himself with pain meds and JD since he couldn't be a part of the unit anymore.
>>
>>29135354
>see you in two years

Yep, as a private with an 11b mos in a mech unit because you washed out of airborne school.

You have a shit attitude son. You will be peered out.
>>
>>29139729
Well fuck man my dad was a crackhead alcholholic negligent piece of shit. that accounts for my attitude dude. Can you just tell me how to better my attitude rather than comment on how poor it is?
>>
>>29139747
>Well fuck man my dad was a crackhead alcholholic negligent piece of shit

So were the fathers of most kids your age in the forces. Suck it up, that's no excuse for failure.
>>
>>29139770
Sir yes sir..
>>
>>29139747
First, stop blaming others for your issues.

That's not what a team player does.
A team player says "yeah, i fucked that up. I'll fix it"

Long story short, you're still caught up on your dead old man. Now is not the time to make life altering decisions, especially when it comes to others' lives.

Do what the other anons have said. Get a real job, move away from your brother. Do what i did, don't join till you're 21 and set in life.
>>
>>29139747
Don't make excuses you moron. I bet you dollars to donuts there are plenty of successful SF guys with negligent crackhead alcoholic dads. The difference between you and them is that they take responsibility for their lives and don't foist the blame on their parents.
>>
>>29135168
In a proper sf unit the selection isn't about just meeting the physical requirements, it's about being able to keep going when everything has gone wrong and it isn't going to get better. If you smash the fitness the training staff will find more for you to do. They want to get you to the point where 99.99% of people will give up.

That type of mental toughness can take years to build up, as will the physical strength and fitness to keep up with it. Most of the guys who get into proper sf units (delta, sas) are in their mid to late twenties and have been in the army for 5,6,7 or 8 years already.

They are looking for the type of people who can be sent to deal with strategic problems on there own if need be. Not kids looking for some action.

My advice is join the something tough but not quite special. (Airborne, Para's etc) stick it out for a few years and start to think about selection after you have a bit of experiance doing something responsible like leading a firetram.
>>
>>29139944
>My advice
Which counts for exact shit since you've never been in SOF.
>>
File: image.jpg (997 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
997 KB, 1536x2048
>>29135134
You sound like a fucking autist weirdo.

Don't join the army, we don't need you or want you. Join a mental health group.
>>
>>29139725
ODA-021

Yeah, leapfrogging was one of the reasons I mentioned mass tacs are more dangerous than most people think. Too much can happen and it all happens in the dark. The closest I came to disaster was an M60 that hit the ground a few feet away from me. That pig actually bounced!

Sheridans burned in every once in a while when I was 82nd. Luckily they got dropped before we did.
>>
>>29140874
All the way, brother. Lean forward in the foxhole.
>>
>>29140194
Shut up you're the one talking down to 18 year old on an imageboard. Get fucked
>>
>>29140929
"When all else fails.....open up with the '60!"
>>
>>29139747
nobody cares, kid. once you turn 18 you dont get to use mommy and daddy as an excuse anymore.
>>
>>29141289
Well I've been taking everything in this thread into consideration and I'm going to start saying fuck my past entirely. If that's what I need to do like you guys are saying . I'm fucking doing it. I talked to an army recruiter earlier and he's talking to me about taking my asvab to see if I can get into airborne or not. I'm not dumb I recognise universals, and it's universal advice in this thread that I need to get the fuck over it. So I fucking will.
>>
>>29141442
Gonna need to stop being so petulant about it.
>>
>>29141505
Understood
>>
>>29141442
Just dropping in OP, but getting over it is the wrong way to phrase it.
>>29141505
This, and allowing it to be your defining feature. If you think /k/ is giving you shit, try living with assholes a whole lot worse that you can't escape.

The best advice I could give you OP is wait a few years before joining (U.S. Army isn't going anywhere), I honestly wish I had. You may have some life experience, but that doesn't necessarily equate to maturity, take that however you wish.
>>
>>29141639
I sincerely appreciate it dude but I'm fairly impatient. What could I possibly do in the meantime before beginning a military career?
>>
>>29141788
Get in shape, stay in shape and keep your nose clean.

Take some job for a little while that will help you do all of that, something manual labor. Having a shitty boss or work circumstance can prepare you for situations ahead where you simply can't quit.

Really advice I would give to anyone your age looking to join is look to develop yourself further as adult as much as you can before enlisting.

Granted you'll be serving largely with retards during basic, and throughout any military career. Nonetheless successful careers have been made out of being the lesser retard.

Good luck OP.
>>
>>29135134

That doesn't give you much advantage. Get super fucking fit.
>>
>>29135354

I'm not that guy, but I'm already in the army and with rank and experience. I will make you do iron Mikes with sandbags in two years.
>>
>>29135386

Civilian detected.
>>
Too much spaghetti up in this thread.
>>
>>29135134
Nobody gives a shit about your sob story, OP. We all have one. Go to another board looking for sympathy and attention.
>>
>>29141032
Here comes the hurt feeling police.
>>
>>29141442
You sound like a lot of the guys I want through OSUT with that dropped out during red phase and claimed they were suicidal. I'm not saying that you aren't exactly like them, but you're definitely acting like some of them.
>>
>>29144439
*went
>>
>>29135134
Sounds like you'd be better off in retail with how misadjusted you are.
>>
>>29144471
You're better off not shitposting too
>>
>>29140874
Wait the things burned when they hit the ground?
>>
I feel like we need to add something to the sticky for every dipshit who thinks they'll just go SOF, high school seniors graduate in a few months and i don't see this shit going away anytime soon.
>>
>>29139322
rotc guy here , i am majoring in poli sci and minoring in Russian and Farsi , i plan on going 37A until im at least 25 , during this time id pt like a mofo , when im old enough i would plan on going to sfas , do you think this is a good plan?
>>
>>29135134
Damn, fuck these faggots OP. Just do cardio and lift.

Sorry about your parents that shit sucks. All these little bitches will probably turn into winos when their mums die.
>>
>>29144683
burned means going very fast
>>
>>29135134
Go rangers not green berets. It's not what you think. Delta draws more from rangers as well. More direct action +3month rotationary deployments. GBs you go train other militaries for close to 2 year stretches to form connections.
>>
>>29135791
Top kek you are a Reddit tier faggot of the highest order
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.