[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it bad that war movies inspire me to enlist? Propaganda doesn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 10
File: Charlie-Sheen-1986-platoon.jpg (3 MB, 2280x1500) Image search: [Google]
Charlie-Sheen-1986-platoon.jpg
3 MB, 2280x1500
Is it bad that war movies inspire me to enlist?
Propaganda doesn't bother me, I just want to do something meaningful in my life.
>>
>>28500265
war isnt meaninful
you likely wont even be in combat and even if you are then you arent valuable or memorable, you are a soldier
you will get thanks once you get back and then no one will give a shit about your service until veterans day and you will be thanked just out of politeness that day only
>>
>>28500304
So military is stupid regardless what way you look at it?
>>
>>28500265

Become an EMT
>>
>>28500265
>Is it bad that war movies inspire me to enlist?

Yes, there is nothing glorious about getting hit by shrapnel or getting shot in the stomach. Soldiers get PTSD for a reason, shit is horrible.
>>
>>28500865

>work 50+ hour weeks watching people die for $35-45K
>>
>>28500265
They only people who can truly appreciate your service and whose thanks are actually meaningful are other vets.
>>
>>28500900

Right, I forgot the shitty wages our US colleagues get.

Sorry.
>>
File: killer.jpg (40 KB, 450x683) Image search: [Google]
killer.jpg
40 KB, 450x683
This made me want to be a Chinese hitman.

I got everything down except for the being Chinese and a hitman part.
>>
You are a fucking moron.

You think the only "meaningful" thing in life is military service? And in your case, since you're probably extra stupid--- killing people is what you think is "meaningful".

And before people call me an SJW or liberal feel-good retard, I carry a gun every day and am more than willing to kill someone to protect myself, friends, or family-- especially my new nephew. Do I want to? No. Will I if I have to? Sure.

How the fuck anyone thinks deriving meaning from their life fighting for a government that doesn't reflect anything resembling it's original ideals, people who don't give a fuck about them, and for very nebulous and nefarious "purposes"

If you want meaning in your life go help out at a fucking local hospital, vet clinic, or (if your fedora isn't too tight) help at your churches food bank and actually do something for your community-- people you may actually know and care about.

Get saged you underage faggot
>>
>>28500265
how the fuck does platoon inspire you to enlist. I
>>
>>28500948
Milfag here, seconding this. 7 years in and there's so little that I've done which I can honestly look back on as having even made a difference within the military itself. Some of THOSE things have already been undone by the dumbass who transferred into my position when I PCS'd. I can probably count meaningful lasting contributions on one hand and still have two or three fingers left.
>>
>>28500265
>wish so bad that the buddy binker scene in Platoon was 10x longer
Why live? At least that's how my tiny metal hovel was overseas, complete with (synthetic) drugs. Shit was wild.
>>
>>28501167
*bunker
>>
>>28500304
> war
> not meaningful
Nice meme
> even if you are in combat you won't be valuable
Kill two gooks and you've helped the war effort, every one after that is bonus points

Now get out of here with your memes, war is a human's natural calling and there is nothing more important than defending your motherland, and more importantly, fighting for your buddies
>>
>>28500948
> i've never served: the post
> le gubmint is ebil so don't go to war meme

When you go to war you don't fight for your government, you fight for your buddies in your platoon
>>
>>28501228
>you
>telling anyone else they have never served

Lmao
>>
File: sensiblechuckle.gif (993 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
sensiblechuckle.gif
993 KB, 250x250
>>28500948

liberal feel-good retard
>>
>>28500265

If it wasn't for the movie platoon I don't think I would of enlisted.

Like Charlie Sheen said, I was going to college and wasn't learning anything. Why should only poor kids have to goto war.

Dropped out, went into Marine recruiter and told them sign me up for Infantry, signed up during the surge.

We got us a Crusader.
>>
>>28500265
>Is it bad that war movies inspire me to enlist

Hahaha these are the people that join then get out and all sullen about having served. "The military is bullshit. All I did was get yelled at and clean. They Fuckin lied to me the assholes. Just waited to EAS so I could get high again." Then insert bullshit how they didn't prepare you to get a job and you had to move back home.
>>
>>28501263
Just who the hell do you think I am?!
>>
>>28500265
It's bad that THAT movie inspired you to enlist. Fuck me, who watches Platoon and thinks "I want to do that".
>>
>>28501345

>they got yelled at

There are civvie pussies on /k/ right now, and they need a hug, because they are such big pussies.

H-he yelled at muh
>>
>>28501361

See >>28501307

Me faggot. Sorry I'm not emasculate like you.
>>
>>28500265
Make meaning. Pick a cause and fight for it metaphorically or literally.
Remember you have limited time, so focus on the levers that move the system.
>>
>>28500847

yes
>>
>>28501380
My favorite is
>all I did was field day and play bullshit games SNCOs would make up. I just got tired of not being treated like an adult

When you were fucking 18 doing nothing with your life and joined probably cause your fucking dumbass heard "free college" or worse yet, actually took the recruiter lies and posters hook line and sinker and thought youd be jumping out of planes and sneakin around innawoods 24/7 so when you have to buff the headquarters lobby while your pulling duty that night its "complete bullshit fuck fuck games"
>>
>>28501477

I guess that qualifies as a response, don't know who you're talking to or about tho.

It sounds like you need validation for not joining.

OK here it is, "you sound like to big of a vagina to even be a turbo pog. Keep thinking you made better life decisions."

Thank you for not serving, the entire military and country is better off.
>>
>>28501519
You do know what quotes are for right? take for example in this one>>28501345
I'm quoting a shitbird that joined because he saw a movie and thought that's what the military meant, and now he's bitter about it.

In this>>28501380
You said there are pussies who can't handle getting yelled at, I agree by adding more of the bitter dumbass pussy shitbird scenario with this>>28501477

Only difference is I used green text the second time cause I think people gloss over " which is what I think happened here
>>
File: hegaveupcollege.png (816 KB, 1144x944) Image search: [Google]
hegaveupcollege.png
816 KB, 1144x944
>>28501307
What we got here is a CREW-SAYDER.
>>
>>28501588

I'm a couple drinks in. You just plain don't make sense homie. From my perspective.

>>28501607

Das it mane. Didn't wanna download the pic, but you get it.
>>
>>28501641
I will love Platoon till the day I die, the only bad part is Sheen's faggy little soliloquy at the end. It's cringey as fuck even if it has a good message. I love the fuck out of it.

Any other good movies where you goto war, get real high, and chill with your buddies/get fucking blown up?

The addition of christmas tree lights is a HUUGE+
>>
>>28501696
Full Metal Jacket and Platoon.
>>
>>28501696
btw, I'm >>28501167

I'd be drinking to muh seagoing bellhop if I wasn't on drugs that say I can't. Literally surrounded by booze and guns right now.

Weed be coming in tomorrow, yyeeaaawwaahh.
>>
>>28501729
>Platoon
You don't say?
>>
>>28501696

Other than Forest Gump and them grilling and eating BBQ I'm not sure.

My Mexican service buddy loved to watch Dead Presidents. Vietnam story but from the viewpoint of a black guy.

One guy chops off a gooks head as a memento, and carries it in his pack. After time guys in his squad bitch he needs to get rid of it because it's rotten and stinks.
>>
>>28501765
>One guy chops off a gooks head as a memento, and carries it in his pack
Geesh.

I like platoon because it showed the try hard FAGGOTS and worms like Bunny and Junior respectively, and juxtaposed them to the chill as fuck buddies in the bunker. The chill guys were probably better at their job, even the bunkerbros had Elias to try-hards' Barnes.

I should say it this way, I liked platoon ALOT more after I'd been in the military, because it was surprisingly like this. The guys doing spice in my unit were better than the fucks who bitched about the spiceboys, spiceboys were doing work and getting results. Faggots just skirted as much work as possible and complained constantly to shift blame.

I haven't stayed sober through one watching of platoon since I got back.
>>
>>28501752
Sorry, I was thinking Apocalypse Now and typed out Platoon for some reason.
>>
>>28500265
Watch Jarhead. A lot of war movies romanticize the combat if there even is any. There's a reason they call it the suck. Daily life is going to be drudgery.

You can find meaning in anything you do. If serving as a part of a greater entity is what you can get behind go for it. Don't let other people use their subjectivities to tell you how to live your life.
>>
>>28501826
>the whole bridge scene
The Roach is best character of all time.
>>
>>28501823

Guy you're responding too.

Lance coolie sk8r boy who used to smoke spice out of my onie before a company piss test.

You're not wrong. But that shit is toxic tar, I'm out and on Gods medicine now the sticky icky.

Honestly spice wasnt so bad at first, but they had to change formula for legal reasons and it got really bad and unhealthy.
>>
>>28501910
>But that shit is toxic tar
Yeah it is. I actually wasn't using it while I was overseas, just all the people who became my friends were. I didn't have anything against it, but it did open my perception to drugs as being not so bad.
I use green to mostly deal with awful pain shit that happened during my deployment, none of the pain meds they give me have worked as good and with as few side effects. I feel like a normal person again with it, but I don't have it often unfortunately.
>>
>>28502042
And my hootch was the goto safe zone to light up, for reasons.

I may have used it once, or maybe not incase Mr. ATFman is watching.
>>
File: laughing animes.jpg (36 KB, 582x406) Image search: [Google]
laughing animes.jpg
36 KB, 582x406
>>28500304
>war isnt meaninful
>>
File: Bacevich.jpg (21 KB, 308x308) Image search: [Google]
Bacevich.jpg
21 KB, 308x308
>>28500265
>Is it bad that war movies inspire me to enlist?

Read "The New American Militarism" by Andrew Bacevich and draw your own conclusions.
>>
>>28502261
>going to smelly toilet countries to destabilize governments so that your ruling merchant class back home can keep their champagne fountains running
>meaningful
>>
>>28503661
>Being a liberal cuck
>>
File: 1435737596055.jpg (49 KB, 620x294) Image search: [Google]
1435737596055.jpg
49 KB, 620x294
>>28503661
>>completely overlook wars effect on technological advances
>>
>>28503605
Found a torrent, thanks.
>>
>>28500265
Join the national guard.
That way if there's a natural disaster you can help.
>>
>>28503661
>This much of a cuck
>>
>>28500265
Its whatever you make it out to be if you enlist and where you enlist. Talked to Ssgt and hes talked to some officers generals and says war is very possible soon. We could be getting some action soon. Its not always about war theres humanitarian efforts that you can do as well op.
>>
File: 1451198064701.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
1451198064701.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1600
>>28504621
Planes would have been a better example.

I honestly want out of the cycle though. I want to be in a society where exploration of every kind (physical, philosophical, spiritual, mental, dimensional everything) propels us to the greatest technological feats. I don't even mean meaningful discoveries that enable the advances (but those would undoubtedly happen), I mean people working hard and getting shit done for the sake for exploring and learning about Everything, and that alone being enough to motivate us.

War as a technological motivator where we just get to enjoy the side benefits is shitty any way you cut it, but IT IS the world we live in. And for one thing, you can't always be on the winning side of every war.

I want to be in outer space already, I never want to be forced rely on anyone else ever again, I don't even care if I never see another person. Anyone else who feels this way would be welcome, we could be finally free.

>at times it feels like something is purposely holding space exploration back so that we're all stuck here, and controlled here together
>>
>>28506402
>>28506609
Alright, thanks.
>>
>>28503605

Seconding this recommendation. Good book.
>>
>>28500265
>Fighting for the Jews
>meaningful

Pick one.

If anything, just go in to get the training.
You think you'll be doing something meaningful? You won't. Everything my unit strived for in Iraq, the men we lost, the men we brought back crippled and/or mentally destroyed, just to train some shitty Iraqi Police and Army so they could drop their weapons at the first sight of ISIS. Yea, real meaningful. It's not pleasent looking into the eyes of your fallen brother's kid and wife and telling them he actually died for something. Because he didn't, he died for political correctness, box checking, ROE, and Israel.
Maybe you think you'll have brothers for the rest of your life? Only the dead ones. Over the years everyone else drifts apart. There are only 2 people I talk to anymore that I served with.

There is nothing dishonorable or wrong with wanting to be in the military, or serving your country. Just know that in today's military, you'd be fighting in bullshit causes, and won't really be serving your country, but the interests of bankers, politicians, and Israel.
>>
>>28506945
Thanks for your input.
>>
>>28500265
Wanting to be special or meaningful, or to be the star of your own little movie in your head, that is a key element of propoganda. Now we have a generation of entitled assholes who are useless to society and think everyone should treat them like a damn saint because they made some poor decisions in their youth.

America has stripped all the honor out of the armed forces.
>>
File: SantaInOctober.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
SantaInOctober.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>28506986
Those are some hot little opinions you got there, my friend.

What sort of guns do you own and hope to own? How much shooting do you do? How much experience with any military personnel do you have?

You see, I'm implying that you're a shill fuck of some type and should get the fuck out.
>>
>>28500265
>do something meaningful
then go into science or medicine, faggot
>>
>>28507260
What was this picture meant to be?
>>
>>28506945
I sort of agree with this, I do stand with all the others here for self pride and honor if you do actually see battle but I agree that you should know what you REALLY are fighting for in truth. If not most of the time many get pretty salty after their service saying they didn't do jack shit.
I hear all these stories about vets having a hard time or life with jobs and shit like that and that sounds like fucking hell. Trying to make the most out of it and maybe become special forces and put action into life and skill set. After, ( if not KIA) with ur skill set and experience, either retire or go into security forces in Iraq or afghan or other shady areas. After that I don't know what, maybe work for an arms dealer but u get my point hopefully from this spurg of mine.
>>
File: 1450581606318.gif (2 MB, 659x609) Image search: [Google]
1450581606318.gif
2 MB, 659x609
>>28500265
I found this pretty interesting.
explains the urge to go to war as more of gauntlet of sensory experience which men can travel through, whether you come out for the better on the other side is up to luck and personal character.
>>
>>28508494
forgot link: http://public.wsu.edu/~hughesc/why_men_love_war.htm

the premise of eye fucking has a pretty morbid allure to it i must say
>>
>>28508494
The slides in these move too fast anymore, like half that speed would make it not a barely decipherable mess.

Can you redo?
>>
>>28508510
>it's a fucking book
>it's in a terrible font, small type, and awful contrast
Something in that formula gotsta change before I read it, just making the text bigger ain't enough.
>>
>>28508550
>talking about life defining decisions
>can't be bothered to read for 30 minutes
>>
>>28508574
It's awful looking, actually literally straining, pain in my eyes. I'm just saying.
>>
>>28508596
copy paste to a word document and put it in comic sans if that's your thing, this isn't difficult
>>
>>28508615
I'm fucking reading it already, geeeesh dad. I can still say the choice of colors in this long ass document is terrible. black background with white letters would be much nicer.
>>
>>28501187
Sometimes there are people who have never fired their weapon.
>>
>>28508665
75% according to my assigned reading.
>>
>>28506457
Raah-raah! America fuck yeah! Saddam was responsible for nayn elven never forget! Boot lickers calling people cucks. Lol
>>
>>28501187
Hey look, a boot licker.
>>
>>28501274
Statist boot licker
>>
>>28506689
I want this too, but the problem is you are dealing with humans, and the complexities that they bring. Indeed we have good but it is equally balanced out by our bad, depending on perception. Our capacity of evil isn't going anywhere, but take solace that neither is our capacity of good leaving us either.
>>
>>28509212
Well that was unexpectedly uplifting.
>>
>>28500265
You know you ain't gonna be Sheen's character, right? You're going to be that nigga who gets bayoneted.
>>
>>28500265
>propaganda doesn't bother me
>enlisting in the military is the only way to do something meaningful in life

it appears that you actually are effected by the propaganda my friend and you just don't realize it yet

not saying im against enlisting im actually for it, i suppose you could say i have been effected by the propaganda also
>>
>>28508510
>eye fucking

I... I need to think about that...
>>
>>28509121
>>28509032
>>28509136
You can't be a boot licker if you you ARE in fact a part of the boot.
>>
>>28510492
But what the hell does 'eye fucking' even mean here? It's pretty interesting he quotes passages from the old testament to show how it's always happened in war but I still didn't get what he meant.
>>
>>28510640
I think he was comparing it to the Bible. the "lust of the eye" meaning to "lusting after what you've sees". Then he compares that to how the Marines would phrase it.

Eye fucking either means "To take pleasure in something you're watching", or to literally "Fuck an eye socket".
>>
>>28510692
Wow my phone didn't spell any of that right, but you get the idea.
>>
>>28501696
Fury
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.