[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Camping firearms
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 450x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 450x800
I would ask out but the nature of the beast I think makes /k/ more appropriate.

Poor fag here, the only guns I own consists of a single shot H&R 12 gauge w/ 18in barrel and an old .357 magnum revolver.

Which firearm would be better suited to carry camping with me? The 12 gauge can break down and fit in my pack, but if I carry it like that I couldn't use it in an emergency, where as I could keep the pistol on my hip.

There are black bears, mountain lions, and tweakers where I live. Should I just bring both and use the 12 gauge for hunting and the handgun for defence or what?

Also, my gf bought me some sabot slugs as a Christmas gift. I know your supposed to use them in a rifled barrel, but will they still be useful out to ~30 yards? I live in Louisiana so line of sight isn't that far.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Slugs in question. I can't return ammo once it's been purchased here.
>>
>>28462917

What kind of choke does your shotgun have?

If it's anything other than cylinder bore, do not fire them through your shotgun.

The rifling on typical slugs is there so that they can swage their way through certain kinds of choke.
>>
Take the .357 and a can of bear mace.
Single-shot anything is a bad choice for self defense.
>>
>>28462856
Dude you own 2 guns bring both.
The shotgun is your backup and hell, have some fun while you're out camping shooting cans or something with it.

And rely on your .357. Have it on you every moment you can and make sure its loaded and ready to go and you should be fine.
>>
>>28462938
Your a special kind of stupid arnt you?
>>
>>28463205
All of my this. Say you get stranded or lost. The shotgun is a perfect survival gun. Slugs, buckshot, game load. Large game, medium game and, varmit/bird. Suddenly your menu is greatly expanded. Assuming you know how to hunt/clean.
>>
Shotgun.

Break apart, throw in pack, bring slugs for bear, birdshot for "survival" if needed.

Lightweight, versitile, and concealable, while still powerful. You have one of the best backpacking guns.

If you need to QuickDraw because a grizzly is charging you, you are fucken anyways with anything less than .44 mag
>>
>>28463415
>grizzly is the only predator to be worried about.
Nigga you know there's big cats/wolves/ herbivores that will trample your ass if you stumble to close.

>anything less than a .44
Wrong on that one two. Grizzlies have been dropped with .40s and 9mm. 357 has more than enough penetration to get to a lung/heart/brain. Which is the goal. No matter how many ft lbs you have your not just gonna knockdown a charging bear with a non vitals shot. More likely to scare it off by shooting in which case any caliber will do.
>>
>>28463358

You don't honestly believe that the rifling on a slug makes it rotate at any significant speed, do you?
>>
>>28463497
Lol look at the rifling on a slug. Now look down a barrel. Twist rate is definitely enough.

Also if you are to trollin to use Google. Buy unrifled slugs and compare accuracy to rifled slugs. (Assuming you have access to a firearm)

Also chokes are fractions of fractions of an inch.

Also sabot slugs are slugs with a smaller than bore diameter wrapped In plastic/foam/whatever meant to be used in rifled barrels. The intended effect is a higher velocity/less meat mashing slug used for hunting.
>>
>>28463795

The rifling on the slug will not impart any rotational energy. The rifling would have to be larger than the bore diameter and harder than the barrel. You would literally need it to destroy your barrel.

Even a cursory look at the geometry of a slug will tell you that it isn't designed to make the slug rotate.

>Also chokes are fractions of fractions of an inch

Being a few thou off in critical dimensions is enough to make an otherwise perfectly safe and functional firearm explode.
>>
>>28463830
>The rifling on the slug will not impart any rotational energy. The rifling would have to be larger than the bore diameter and harder than the barrel. You would literally need it to destroy your barrel.

You have got to be trolling. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

> I don't know how soft lead responds to heat and pressure.

I knew you had no idea what your talking about when you said only to use sabot slugs in a cylinder bore.
>>
>>28463919

Believe whatever you want, anon. No skin off my back.
>>
>>28463937
I'll believe your dipshit no guns.
>>
12ga is better for hunting, revolver is better for self defense. Which is your priority?

I would bring the revolver if it were me, because it's lighter and smaller.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.