[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one become an operator? >shooting proficiency, marksmanship
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8
File: 1447289352718.jpg (331 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
1447289352718.jpg
331 KB, 1280x853
How does one become an operator?
>shooting proficiency, marksmanship and CQC skills
>adaptability, resilience and survival skills
>high situational awareness, good physical shape
>etc
How far can you go on your own as a civilian?
>>
>>28413380
Not being autistic is a start
>>
You can become a mall ninja and that's about it.
>>
>>28413380
You have to operate.
>>
You call yourself an operator.
You call everything you do operating.
You are faggot now.
>>
>>28413380
it's impossible without the mentality and discipline that is only shaped in a military organization
>>
>>28413551
Why? What makes a military organization so different that a dedicated civilian couldn't at least reach a decent level comparable to basic infantrymen?
>>
>>28413746
Just stop. You are not a special snowflake. If you want military training join the military. If you want to operate go 18 series or Ranger or SEAL or whatever.
>>
>how do I operator without joining the military??

lmao

just do milsim airsoft, that should satisfy your fantasies enough
>>
>>28413746

The fact you have to ask.
>>
>>28413746
Youre asking how to be a racecar driver without racing.

Why dont you go win the next Triple Crown without riding horse?
>>
>>28413768
>>28413760
>>28413774
>>28413789
My country's military is shitty and irrelevant, that's why I'm asking
I'd do it in a heartbeat if I were in US/UK/Canada/whatever

I'm essentially asking what's the best a civilian can do
>>
>>28413795
The best you can do is be a deer hunter.
>>
>>28413795
Go to training courses, train your body and mind. Learn martial arts. Read and learn various things from language to wilderness survival.
Then go to the middle east or some other country looking for willing fighters.

After everything is said and done, you realize there is absolutely no use for any of your shit unless you intend to keep going back to those shit conflicts because unlike an actual operator who needs to utilize their skills in their actual job that provides them with support and benefits, you are practically wasting your time.
>>
>>28413551
Nah. Civilian contractor with no military experience here. I was an EMT. A friend of mine who was MARSOC turned LEO wanted to get into contracting. He hated being a cop. He got in with Dyncorp. About a year and a half later he suggested take a look into it. They were, and still are actually, desperate for good medics for their teams.

I dropped some personal money in getting solid firearms and vehicle training. I actually started off doing some part-time bodyguarding work in the states. Networked around a little. Got a personal reference letter from my friend and applied for a few of the jobs the big companies were staffing up for. I got one and haven't looked back.

The hardest part was being non-military and getting a secret clearance. That really opens the doors to much higher paying jobs. Again, networking.

I know a lot of former military who were pencil pushing desk jockeys with no combat experience. I also know a lot of former military who are man-babies that rest on their "veteran" laurels. The military didn't make men out of them, it just gave them credentials.

You get all kinds.
>>
You have to be more of a boy scout than someone who's good with guns.
>>
>>>/out/
>>
>>28413968
keep in mind that Operator = special forces, something that quite a few /k/ommandos forget

you are not an operator after getting bodyguard training + weapons and driving instructions
>>
>>28413380
Being an "Operator" isn't a set of skills, it's a set of experiences. There's nothing else like it in the world, but it's not the kick-ass HSLD picture high schoolers on the internet make it out to be. The community has plenty of its own politics and bullshit, it has lows that far surpass any of the lows you will encounter even in infantry. That being said, it also has highs that soar far above anything you could possibly imagine, but everything comes in spades at least in my experience. Things will be great for a while, then they suck. But part of what makes an "Operator" what he is, is experiencing those kind of transitions; the thrill of chasing your next pay off at the expense of unimaginable suffering in your current situation. This process will start in the first phase of your training pipeline, be it RASP, SFAS, or BUDS, etc. You'll learn what it means to really be in the suck, and you'll see what happens when you push yourself to your limits - and what lies beyond. This is a big part of being an operator, its the resilience that only comes after you've broken yourself down to the lowest level and seeing what there is in the very fiber of your soul. The reflection that comes after breaking yourself down, understanding what you're really capable of (or what you aren't). And then there's the guys around you, and learning how you can achieve things together that seem completely insane alone. How you can help each other through your trails by fire, and how you can support each other in the tough shit that comes after that (the shit no one will tell you about). Being an Operator isn't a skill set, it's a state of mind and being induced by a long series of experiences and conditioning.

I tell everyone interest in "Operating" to read this, it's an excellently written piece that sums up a lot of the emotions and essence of what being part of the community is like.

http://www.jimmy-stare.com/all-in.html
>>
>>28414054
uh huh
>>
>>28414065
It's true. The military does not refer to every soldier including pencil pushers and desk jockeys as "operators".

It is only special forces.
>>
>>28414129
Hahaha.
>>
File: explain this bullshit.jpg (84 KB, 528x792) Image search: [Google]
explain this bullshit.jpg
84 KB, 528x792
>>28413380
Is that airshit, I honestly can't tell?
I mean kydex rig but no vest or plate carrier, woodland pilot trousers, totally clean weapons, blurred out everything (even the flashlight's serial number), tactical fanny pack
>>
>>28413380
Training and practice. If you want to be able to operate really hard get friends to train and practice with too. You can operate a lot harder working as a team than you can solo.
>>
File: comfy.jpg (34 KB, 493x533) Image search: [Google]
comfy.jpg
34 KB, 493x533
>>28414158
you pretend to laugh but irl you just realized u'r an dumbass and your skills make you a glorified security guard at best

you don't actually think of yourself as an operator do you?
>>
>>28413380
Here's a guide for you OP, it even has pictures
http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Surgeon
>>
>>28414169

>airshit guy here

Could be range day or something. Most airshit dudes won't have the wrist gps thing. And AFAIK, the replica MAGPUL mags don't have fake bullets in them, but I use a G36 replica, so I could be wrong.

That and airsoft players tend to think any open velcro needs like 90 random fucking morale patches. These guys have nothing on theirs.
>>
>>28414169
I'm going to say no, but their shit looks way too clean.

>>28414179
Also going to second this. I'll sound like a tool for this part, but Costa & Haley said the same thing in pic related. Find other like-minded people in your community, get together with them and run some drills.

I've only been a gun owner for two years, so I'm still trying to ram all the fundamentals home. Once I get the chance, I have a friend who would probably up for doing team drills for shits.

I don't call myself an operator because I realize that If I were put into a situation where I NEED my hardware, I will probably shake up. I hope that through repetition and making my handling second nature, I can fight through that shit.
>>
>>28413380
>How far can you go on your own as a civilian?

Well, you can go pretty far. You can train yourself in marksmanship, practice CQB drills, learn your weapons inside and out, and purchase all the necessary equipment.

You can teach yourself many skills relating to camping/survival skills, mechanical prowess, basic electronics repair, trapping, concealment, etc.

You can keep yourself in good shape with a decent diet and regular exercise. Frequent weekend backpacking trips hiking in the mountains would work well for keeping you in shape, making you accustomed to walking many miles over rough terrain carrying a load, and help you learn basic survival skills.

I'm not sure what you can do about situational awareness or training yourself to maintain a cool head in a crisis situation or firefight though. Those are things that military training prepares you for (to some extent at least) that will be pretty hard for a civilian to emulate.
>>
>>28413380
they select based on intelligence, fortitude, and personal integrity/character.

also, my job description is literally 'operator'
>>
>>28414236
>I'm not sure what you can do about situational awareness

This one is weird. I wanna say it's something you can teach yourself, but I also want to say it's something you could be born with. The reason I say this is because in my case I'm typically pretty alert about what is going on around me at all times. I've never been trained.

Fortunately it pays off at my workplace, either helping me avoid getting killed by power equipment or to help make sure our production machines aren't getting clogged.
>>
File: WwOT2sa[1].jpg (224 KB, 1582x864) Image search: [Google]
WwOT2sa[1].jpg
224 KB, 1582x864
>>28414236
>I'm not sure what you can do about situational awareness or training yourself to maintain a cool head in a crisis situation or firefight though. Those are things that military training prepares you for (to some extent at least) that will be pretty hard for a civilian to emulate.

Video games, airsoft, paintball.
It's not the real thing and never will be, but it'll give you an idea and maybe prepare you at least a little bit
>>
>>28414275
All paintball taught me was how quickly I'd die in a real firefight but I understand where you're coming from. It was definitely a good experience.
>>
>>28414275
Kek
>>
>>28414236
Get a nightshift job at a gas station in a neighborhood with a lot of bars and attracts riffraff. Stand all by your self talking down methed out drunks at 2:30 knowing if you call 911 you got 15 mins minimum. Break up fights, manage rape victims, and get to know the homeless (they livin in mad max times already).

Its not high speed low drag but it is a valuable skill to first hand manage chaos. Low pay, low respect, high danger. Like the military its %90 boredom, %10 excitement. Learn to talk your way out of any fight. Laugh if you want but learning to take charge with crazy/drunk/starving people will get you farther in life that shooting skills.
>>
>>28414275
The only beneficial effect of vidya is if you've been playing shooter games since you were a kid.

If you play them hard, your brain starts to figure out that it needs to work faster.

http://rochester.edu/news/show.php?id=3679
>>
>>28414204
No. But I don't do site security. I just think your categorizing of the term "operator" is hilarious. I've heard it all. "Rangers/Marsoc/seals are "operators"". "Only DevGru sfod-d guys are "operators"". "You forgot pjs forward air controllers and Marine scout snipers".

It's more organic than that. I've worked alongside all kinds of people. From some pretty hard teams guys to some pretty soft grunts. Nobody seriously referred to themselves by saying "I am an operator" or by strict definition. I HAVE however heard people refer to themselves as an operator in a joking or sarcastic way, especially when blatantly
embellishing a story
>>
>>28414275
Airsoft and all that kinda help, you'd have to play pretty often to really learn anything and have it sink in, though. It's close to the real thing as far as setting, listening and knowing what to look for. But the stakes aren't as high so it changes what people will or won't do.

Also, you can't use a bush as cover. :P
>>
>>28414327
Thats for situational awareness, chaos management and keeping your head through conflict (adrenaline is a wicked mistress and you wont get that from vidya) Personal training.
On top of that take a tour on a fishing boat. It will harden you up, give you a thousand yard stare and prove you can follow orders and work with a crew. Proof you can follow orders in extreme situations looks good on a CV.
Group training.

It doesn't have to be running and gunning to gain skills and experience.
>>
>>28414497
>(adrenaline is a wicked mistress and you wont get that from vidya)

This right here. Ideally part of your self-training will address this, but it will work better if you find a way to induce stress on yourself to make sure your repeitions are paying off. Pay a friend to time you and yell at you at the same time, something like that.
>>
>>28413380
>operator says what
>say what
>you are now an operator
>your welcome
>>
>>28413380

>How does one become an operator?

1) When in special forces, you are part of a TEAM OF PEOPLE. "Operator" sounds funny because there is no such thing - there is, however "team of operators" and it's the team work which makes things happen. Not *YOU*.

2) You will never get the stuff special forces have. Crappy night vision, crappy thermal devices, GPS - that's it for you. No laser designators, no communication devices, no heavy weapons or mines or explosives.

3) You can never simulate uncertainty in combat or any kind of psychological distress that comes from getting chased by enemy special forces, military police or veteran units.

4) Airsoft, paintball...ah hell. Just HELL NO. Take your roleplay elsewhere. It just does not compare in any way.
>>
File: rowdysavage.jpg (103 KB, 487x653) Image search: [Google]
rowdysavage.jpg
103 KB, 487x653
>>28414387
>Tfw my situational awareness is on point because I was a pro Counter-Strike player for years and can feel a shitty situation brewing before it happens in VR.
>>
>>28414841
>Being a faggot
>Doesn't even read the article

That's not how it works. What they're saying is that repeated exposure to high-stress scenarios will sort of kick-start your brain into a higher gear, therefore processing information faster.

You might not have complete situational awareness of the two dindus in your house, but your brain is able to process their presence, location, movement and your own physical reaction much faster than if you were not a gamer.

This has obvious non-HD applications, of course. When you're cruising along at 55mph, your reaction times will be slightly above those of other people (barring phone use).
>>
>>28413795
Foreign Legion
>>
>>28413380
>1 glove

wew
>>
i never get it, what do you fags mean while you are saying oper8er
do you want to oper8 as "secret agent" mossad/mi5-6/cia/etc field operator?
do you want to oper8 as infantry soldier?
do you want to oper8 as SWAT (not the american dog shoter type)?
do you want to oper8 as "commando" soldier? what type of commando?
my simple advice, if you don't want to join the army, just take related courses
but the basics for everyone are simple

-learn about your gun
-shot with your gun (in the army we had a saying - you have to shot at least 3000-5000 rounds to really learn and master the rifle)
-learn basic medical care. and if into hardcore oper8er focus your study on gun wounds and how to stabilize wounded person.
-stamina, stronk back, shoulders and even stronger abdominal muscles (light infintry is a lie, noting light there). you should be able to "hike" with a weight which is up to 40 percent of your body weight for at least 15miles in few hours
-learn basic martial arts (how to kick, stand, punch) how to hold off attacker, how to protect your gun, and how to use your gun as melee weapon (and no, you don't use the stock)
- learn the basics of navigation in day/night and in different topographers areas
-go hiking with NVG so you can adapt your eyes for it (you gonna puke in the first few times)
i think that's it. maybe i missed something, but this is around the minimum and the basics of bootcamp.
after doing all this for around 2-5 months (depends on your mental&physical abilitys and how good you are doing),
you can start to specialize (guerrilla, explosive, recon,urban warfare, etc)
>>
>>28414663
>Airsoft, paintball...ah hell. Just HELL NO. Take your roleplay elsewhere. It just does not compare in any way.
Real operators do force on force with simmunitions, airsoft is the closest an average person can get to that and is still pretty close with gas guns, so close that it was used for training in some places before simmunitions became more common.
>>
>>28413746
>What makes a military organization so different that a dedicated civilian couldn't at least reach a decent level comparable to basic infantrymen?

You can learn to shoot and go to executive protection schools (thought about paying for one near me, decently priced and good placement for work after, but I'm also prior service) etc.

But that doesn't make you an "operator". To be an "operator" you literally have to "operate".

That's the difference. All the training in the world doesn't mean dick if you can't actually do anything with it.
>>
>>28414392
>I just think your categorizing of the term "operator" is hilarious

If I recall correctly, the term "operator" originated as a designation for Rangers, who hadn't been to SFQC yet, who were deployed with ODAs in Vietnam.

So technically it doesn't even refer to SF guys. It refers to Rangers/non SF Q'd guys assigned to ODAs during a specific time period.
>>
>>28413551
You can join a cult for that
>>
>>28413795
>legion entrangere
>try out for 2REP
>pass
>oper8 for baguettes

youre then an oper8r
>>
>>28413795
Which country are you in?
>>
>>28413746
The way the training is done. Being an infantryman is a hell of a lot more than just knowing the basic skill set. It's being able to do everything you've been taught under intense pressure and extreme levels of stress. It's being able to push yourself to the point that your body fails before your mind quits. It's knowing that your physical limits are far, far beyond what you think they are. It's knowing that the job has to get done even if you're on hour 6 of a patrol or VCP after 20 minutes of sleep in the last 2 days, and still being able to keep yourself aware enough that you don't miss something that gets a buddy killed. It's hating someones guts, but still being willing to die for them or fight to the ends of the earth alongside them. It's following an order that you know will lead to your death, but has to be done anyways.

Military training is about a fuck of a lot more than just learning how to shoot, fight, and do some basic fieldcraft. It's training your mind to be able to handle the demands of the job in a combat situation.
>>
File: Fat-pagan.jpg (150 KB, 400x278) Image search: [Google]
Fat-pagan.jpg
150 KB, 400x278
>>28416825
Second, that's what religion is for.
>>
>>28414270
You can certainly be more naturally aware, but you'd still be helped by military training. We learn not just how to notice things, but where to look for them. See a nice piece of cover/concealment? Don't get too focused on it, because if you're fighting a professional force, they probably aren't going to use that. Never try to hide or set up in the best piece of cover available, because it's too obvious. It's standard practice to do exploratory machinegun fire into perfect pieces of cover. You need cover that is good, but not obviously so. You learn how to see through depth, by burning through bush that breaks up an outline. You learn how to keep an eye on your surroundings even when you're fighting to stay out of the black.
>>
>>28413380
>join military branch of your choice and ask your recruiter about it
>Interested in army SF you go RASP upon enlistment and you can apply SF or hope delta cherry picks you
>All other branches offer schools and courses that allow you to do it if you put your time in.

As a civilian you are going to go no where go sign up or stfu.
>>
>>28416034

Paintball, airsoft and simunitions can be useful for stress innoculation (especially simunitions) and can be useful for developing tactics usage. Roleplay can be useful too - roleplay is one of the toolsets used for training the military to deal with the part of combat deployments that aren't about trigger-pulling. Simunitions and gas-blowback guns are pretty good too, mainly because ammo capacities are spot-on, recoil or simulated recoil, and all of the little details.

That said, nothing is the same as real "being shot means you might not go home" combat. Nothing.
>>
>>28414058

underoperated post.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.