[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't we bringing back the Zeppelin for COIN? With
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: th.jpg (28 KB, 480x378) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
28 KB, 480x378
Why aren't we bringing back the Zeppelin for COIN? With 1000 of these things bloating out the sun over Afghanistan with their infinite loiter time, we could've won the middle east already.
>>
File: StoryOfWales1-2.jpg (78 KB, 533x800) Image search: [Google]
StoryOfWales1-2.jpg
78 KB, 533x800
Why aren't we bringing back the Welsh Knight for COIN? With 1000 of these things bloating out the sun over Afghanistan with their infinite loiter time, we could've won the middle east already.
>>
>>28412414
helium is getting rarer and rarer
hydrogen isn't getting any less explosive
>>
File: PGSS.jpg (42 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
PGSS.jpg
42 KB, 800x600
>>28412414
>What is Revivor?
>What is PGSS?
>What is PGST?
>>
>>28412425
>helium is getting rarer and rarer

wat?
>>
>>28412455
Not other guy but Helium pretty much only comes from methane extracted from a place in Texas (iirc) as the concentration is higher (around 1-3% of total mix), when the methane runs dry, there will be no more helium. Global prices have been increasing in parallel with it.
>>
>>28412455

Well technically he's right in a cosmological sense eventually the universe will run out of helium.

But even by your confushion, on Earth helium isnt that common.
>>
>>28412473

>Helium pretty much only comes from methane extracted from a place in Texas (iirc) as the concentration is higher (around 1-3% of total mix)

Fucking what????
ffs, they NEED to teach fucking geology in fucking colleges again...

http://repository.azgs.az.gov/sites/default/files/dlio/files/2010/u14/ofr_03_05.pdf
>>
>>28412523
Okay, so maybe the majority isn't produced in Texas, my bad. But still, the average concentration is circa 5% of the extracted natural gas. The issue being, that one day, that will run out.
>>
>>28412490
>the universe will run out of helium
>what is fusion
It nice that you at least tried to sound smart.
>>
>>28412433
Can you explain what these are, I'm not well versed in present day military balloonery.

>>28412425
Why not use hydrogen for unmanned balloons?
>>
>>28412425
hydrogen is not "explosive"....
>>
>>28412567
Helium supply is decreasing because it isn't required by law to capture it anymore.
>>
>>28413786
Technically true but if you're in a zeppelin taking RPG fire the distinction is academic.
>>
>>28414081
how are you taking rpg fire at 30,000 feet

It would be like a spectre gunship, except doesn't need to circle the target, has much longer endurance, and would probably be cheaper too.
>>
>>28412419
Global shortage of Welsh Knights; British islands aren't required by law to capture them anymore.
>>
>>28414123
>30,000 feet
>It would be like a spectre gunship
AC-130s operate at an altitude of 7000 feet.
>>
>>28414141
Well i'm sure you could fly lower on your attack zeppelin, if you wanted to.
>>
>>28414081
Wouldn't the RPG round just bounce off the balloon?
>>
>>28414200
Which would make you an even bigger target.

The reason why we don't lose an AC-130 every time they go out is because we only deploy them to areas where there's no chance of being shot down.

>attack zeppelin
Do you know how little ordnance you'd be able to carry? There's a reason besides speed and cost that airplanes took the place of zeppelins.
>>
>>28414226
>Do you know how little ordnance you'd be able to carry?
They were carrying 4000kg of ordnance in WW1, so I'd imagine quite a bit more today.
>>
File: blimptrain.jpg (53 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
blimptrain.jpg
53 KB, 750x600
>>28414201
>the balloon?
shiiiit, we're dealing with an expert here boys.
>>
>>28414226
>Source: My ass

Zeppelins, or rather rigid airships in general, were actually quite capable of carrying heavy loads. That is one of the reasons why the Macon and Akron were used to carry biplanes. They could support the weight easily. As a matter of fact, there have been quite a few proposals lately for making a heavy-lifting zeppelin for carrying large amounts of cargo over long distances, as they go up to 110MPH, which is excellent compared to cargo ships.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airship#Heavy_lifting
>>
>>28414123
Jihadis in their own zeppelin, powered by goats on a treadmill
>>
You do realize we use giant balloons for surveillance right?

We'd be a mile from the FOB and when we asked for something to be lased, a fucking beam of light would shine down from the heavens and light the way.

If you got staff duty you'd sit behind a ton of little screens and watch a thermal image of Talib head getting blown off from miles away.
>>
The navy is developing a big ass Zeppelin for cargo and possibly fuel
Last I heard about it was almost 7 years ago, so who knows when it'll be deployed
>>
>>28413699
They're pretty much all the same thing. But reviovor is small, PGSS big and PGST huge. All are tethered and have cameras with varying levels of stability and quality.
>>
>>28412414
>With 1000 of these things bloating out the sun over Afghanistan with their infinite loiter time, we could've won the middle east already.

1) Afghanistan is not in the Middle East.
2) "Not enough bombs falling on it" is one of the few problems Afghanistan DOESN'T have.
>>
an unmanned balloon went free a few months ago
http://www.wgal.com/news/have-you-seen-it-unmanned-balloon-floats-over-susquehanna-valley/36097688
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.