[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Experimental reloading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 187171[1].jpg (135 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
187171[1].jpg
135 KB, 880x660
I was on midway searching for .311 diameter projectiles for my SMLE, and saw these.

The lowest loading data I can find for powder I have on hand is this:
Min: 41.0grns @ 2791fps
Max: 45.0grns @ 2931fps

This is a 60gr bullet, how should I experiment here?
>>
>>28408036
Forgot link: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/187171/hornady-xtp-bullets-32-acp-311-diameter-60-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-100
>>
>>28408036
Fill the case with trail boss and use them to swat small game.

Otherwise look into buffered loads.
>>
>>28408091
Actually not a bad idea, but a whole case? jeez i dunno
>>
>>28408210
Trail boss is designed to be used in a full case. It's properties are due to the shape of the grain, loads that rattle around can break down and then it's chemically basically H110.
>>
>>28408595
It will give you black powder like performance though, figure probably 2000fps as a spitball guess.

I swag these .32 acp bullets down to .308 and use them in a buffered load in a .30-40 Krag and a .300 Win Mag, 8 grains (Krag) or 12 (Winmag) of Reloader 7, fill the case with baking soda, then seat the bullet.

Gets me like 400 fps, but the muzzle report is quieter than the firing pin falling, great for busting a red squirrel or Magpie intent on telling all the deer where you are.
>>
>>28408690
Make sure to test these thoroughly however, to ensure they reliably clear your muzzle, fucking up a buffered quiet load is a great way to blow your rifle up.
>>
>>28408690
>I swag these .32 acp bullets down to .308 and use them in a buffered load in a .30-40 Krag and a .300 Win Mag, 8 grains (Krag) or 12 (Winmag) of Reloader 7, fill the case with baking soda, then seat the bullet.

Amazing. You should do a video on it.
>>
>>28408036
>Incorrect nose cone
>>
>>28408036
I load my nugget with #1 buckshot and fill the case with BP
>>
>>28408036
look up the load data for the nugget training ammo that's a tok bullet on a 54r case
then work our way up from there
>>
>>28408775
I don't have a rig that collects sound with enough fidelity. I did an AR vid a while back and the damn rifle sounded like a stapler. I'm betting you'd here a pretty dang similar clack with my softies as with any subsonic load.

I've got another subsonic load for the Krag, 2cc trail boss (trail boss should always be done by volume) + the rest of the case in baking soda + a 300 grain Lyman mould Wadcutter = 800 fps and about as loud as a break barrel .22 airgun. This one anchors deer who live next to asshole neighbors who call the cops if they hear firecrackers.

My Krag has a new manufacturer CMP Criterion barrel, so it has a really tight shoulder spec, the brass has minimal stretch and lasts forever, so it's kind of my go-to fuck around gun for reloading silliness.
>>
>>28409209
Link to vid pls?
>>
>>28409548
I made a vid, I didn't upload it due to shitty sound recording not conveying the information I wanted to (sound difference between similar 3000 fps 55 grain loads). Sorry if that wasn't clear.

In that vein, 4895 is noticeably quieter than Varget.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.