[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Remington 870s that bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
So are the current manufacture Remington 870s really that bad? Or is this only a problem found on the "Express" models?

I've been trying to find an older one, but all the ones that were made pre-cerberus are beat to shit.
>>
>>28385503
Bump
>>
>>28385503
Can someone please answer?
>>
Just get a supernova and be done with it.
>>
>>28385503
Yeah, theyre pretty shitty. They want to chamber a new round if you raise it and put any back pressure on it at all which is fucking usless for a bird gun.
>>
I have a new remington 870, and a new mossberg 500. Get the mossberg 500.
>>
I have a newer express and it does not run very well. There are trigger group issues and feeding issues. I bought a 590A1 and have had zero problems with it.
>>
If you have the money to get a Mossberg 590A1 or Benelli Supernova but want a Remington then always get the Wingmaster model for hunting or the Police model for defense. If you're poor then just stick with the Chinese clones like H&R, NEF, or the other 870 copies, or go Mossberg or Benelli Nova.

The Express models are priced to compete with Chinese import clone shotguns while paying factory workers in New York, which means build quality is utter shit. Tool chatter marks, uneven rust-tastic finish, and overall terrible QC.

The Police and Wingmaster models aren't even in the same facility, they have a separate production line with more experienced workers left over from the days when Remington was owned by E.I. Dupont making them and doublechecking their work because of the more discerning clientele compared to Cletus blasting cans in his trailer park with an Express.
>>
bamp for night /k/
>>
>>28386088
I have an express and a wingmaster, the finish isn't "rusttastic" and the gun shoots just fine. It feeds perfectly with 3in shells. 2 3/4's has some problems feeding when the muzzle is pointed at the ground.
>>
>>28387974
I have hunted with my express in the rain and can confirm that as long as you hit the gun with a little eezox after you hunt with it any tiny amount of rust comes right off.
>>
File: 1427671244130.jpg (167 KB, 550x760) Image search: [Google]
1427671244130.jpg
167 KB, 550x760
>>28385503
i've owned older and newer 870s. older is better. i have a new 870 express. when shooting winchester target loads the action gets hung up and i have to rattle and pull on the pump. i think if the cylinder was polished or a thousand rounds put through it, it would smooth out. as is it is unacceptable. going to return it and look for an old wingmaster. maybe an 11-87 if i can find a good deal. i'm not sure the exact year they went to shit. i think its been a slow progression, with the worst coming after being bought out by freedom group. when i was younger i got a youth model 20 gauge 870 from late 80's early 90's. it has been flawless. i was a surgeon with that thing. so maybe take that as a guide to cutoff date.
>>
This is from just sitting on the rack in our store. One other person I works with agrees about the QC but others still recommend anything Remington.
>>
>>28388096
Check for machining chatter or burrs on the edge of the barrel, the lip where it locks into the receiver. Polishing there with an emery board and in the chamber with a bit of steel wool hooked up to a power drill fixes the feeding issue.
>>
>>28385503
If you want to buy a 870 just buy the h and r pardner pump.
>>
>>28385821
I agree. I purchased a supernova a year ago and I love it. It's got a good amount of weight to it so shooting high brass and slugs doesn't kill your shoulder too much.
>>
You have to do about $40 in upgrades to get it back in perfect working order. This includes spring changes, extractor changes, etc
>>
>>28385503
Are they that bad? Sort of. They're no where near the quality they were 30 years ago. It's a budget gun that shoots just fine. There's nothing fancy about the fit or finish. You can get an 870 for $300. In 1959 the 870 cost the equivalent of $800-$900 in today's dollars.

I own and 870 and for the price I paid, I'm happy with it. I have not experienced the problems that others complain of.
>>
>>28388149

Meanwhile my grandfather hands me a pre-FG wingmaster that's years old, has never been stripped and cleaned properly, and looks brand new.
>>
I have a new remington 870, and a new mossberg 500. Get the remington 870.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.