[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: shitty gun science
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: mythbusters1911.jpg (50 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
mythbusters1911.jpg
50 KB, 600x338
Watching mythbusters testing bullet proof phonebooks:

>The phonebook stopped the 9mm, it stopped .357 magnum, if it stops .45 ill be really surprised

fucking idiots
>>
>>28369985
MB's way of "testing" shit is totally idiotic most of the time anyway.
>>
They assume their whole audience are retards. Not even a small percentage of Americans knows which one of those is the biggest.
>>
>>28370074
This. I remember in the Ninja episode they tried doing the water boot things and they weren't able to go anywhere with them. At like 12 years old, even I knew they needed to have a one way flap on the bottom that would flatten when pushed forward and then drop when pulled back to make a paddling motion.
>>
>>28370074
>"testing"
>all they do is just actually try it
Them bitches will never get it right to my perception of reality if all they do is do it and see if it works.
>>
Pardon my autism, or lack of autism, but how is this retarded? It seems pretty logical.
>>
>>28369985
>Californians

What do you expect?
>>
>>28370110

youre not autistic.

357 magnum has more penetration than 9mm or 45 ACP

as i said not autistic, just retarded.
>>
>>28370110
Penetration is all about SPEED. Weight only matters if you care what it does after it goes through something. A 9mm is going to penetrate most things far better than a .45 ACP will. That's why there's all this discussion about steel vs ceramic plates because a lot of hunting rounds are a fuckton faster than anything lvl 3 plates are tested against and they'll go right through them.
>>
>>28370119
Actually, a regular 9x19 can have higher PSI than some regular .357, especially if latter's fired from a revolver.

>>28370137
true, but the shape of the projectile matters quite a bit. Wider, flatter bullet results blunter hit and less penetration than a sharp and long bullet.
>>
>>28370149
>true, but the shape of the projectile matters quite a bit. Wider, flatter bullet results blunter hit and less penetration than a sharp and long bullet.
Well yeah, a rifle style bullet is going to penetrate better at the same speed compared to the much rounder pistol bullets.

(I'm sorry /k/, I don't know what else to call them but I'm sure you know what I mean.)
>>
>>28370149

PSI matters a lot less than velocity in terms of penetration average 357 mag is ~300 fps faster than average 9mm and 4-500 fps faster than 45 ACP.
>>
>>28370167

Spitzer (rifle) bullets with pointed tips have a higher sectional density, meaning more of the mass of the projectile is situated in-line with the point, and thus creates a better penetrating projectile.

That should help you with your terminology.
>>
>>28370167
>>28370337
Sectional density simply describes length for caliber. It has squat to do with the shape of the projectile.

Spitzers are more aerodynamic and contribute to a better ballistic coefficient, if you feel like dragging more gun-geek-speak into it. I am unaware of how spitzers contribute to terminal performance, but I feel comfortable saying that penetration derives from bullet weight and bullet construction. Shape? Not so much.
>>
>>28369985
Yeah their complete disregard for scientific method, especially in later seasons really gets to me in a bad way.
>>
>>28370097
>biggest

The smallest one with the most kinetic energy is going to penetrate the most, it's physics, negro.
>>
>>28370377
Shape's pretty important. All else being equal, the bullet with less surface area will penetrate more
>>
>>28371322
Balls. Once again, with feeling:

>penetration derives from bullet weight and bullet construction

I learnt to handload from Eric Hansen, the director of the ballistics lab at Nosler. I am certain the man knows his trade.
>>
>>28371369
AND bullet speed.

Energy is one of the most important factors.

For penetration you would want a heavy as fuck round that doesn't deform much from it's low drag shape, and make it go as fast as possible. pretty elementary, I have no fucking idea why everyone is so god damn stupid.
>>
>>28371448
, I have no fucking idea why everyone is so god damn stupid.
Fuddlore is probably the most devastating and horrible thing to face mankind since HIV.
>>
File: whitetail doe montana 2012.jpg (217 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
whitetail doe montana 2012.jpg
217 KB, 1024x768
>>28371448
>AND bullet speed.
With armor, apparently, yes. Which surprised me once I learned of it. In flesh and blood, no. Though I shot pic related with my 25-06, which isn't the best example.. but it *was* a Speer 120-grain Grand Slam. Very heavy for the caliber, mushrooms a bit and keeps going. Blooey.

>>28371458
Internet learning is worse.
>>
>>28371491
Holy christ. anything -06 is effective as fuck.

Those soft pointed hunting rounds are gnarly. All muh energy dumped.

>With armor, apparently, yes. Which surprised me once I learned of it. In flesh and blood, no.

We're trying for penetration here, if it's a 200gr slug moving at 4000FPS it's going to penetrate flesh and blood just fine.
>>
>>28370377
>Sectional density simply describes length for caliber
I stopped reading there.

Nosler must make shit bullets.
>>
>>28371557
Not if it's lightly constructed. You'll wind up with the mother of all cratering wounds.

I'm sorry, but you honestly don't understand what you're talking about.
>>
>>28371608
I really think that you're the one who doesn't know dick. Instead of looking things up, you are going off of fudd counsel.

4 factors that determine penetration.
You could infer from my first comment >>28371448
That I know you have to have a dense enough round to achieve maximum penetration at the specific force at which it's operating.

You're the one who doesn't know what density is.
>>
>>28370137
>Penetration is all about SPEED
Ok demolition ranch

It's actually speed + sectional density
>>
>>28370337
Oh hey, someone who isn't retarded
>>
>>28371698
In other words speed, density, mass, and size.
>>
I've personally shot phone books in my basement on several occasions.
>>
>>28371650
Which is why the old blunt-nose 160-grain 6.5x55 round the Swedes use is renowned for its penetration -- as in shooting through moose lengthwise -- even though it only goes perhaps 2400 FPS.

Next you're going to tell me foot-pounds are real....
>>
>>28371733
Yes, the winning combination is a high velocity (speed), small diameter(size) heavy projectile(mass)
>>
The most important factor is how well the bullet dumps energy into the target.
>>
>>28371698
>I can't into basic physics
Velocity is squared. Unless you start adding enough mass to make up for that, more speed is always preferable for raw energy output.
>>
>>28371842
If you keep adding speed w/o mass your projectile is just going to blow itself into a million pieces and won't penetrate shit
>>
>>28371856
>>28371842
Also, I forgot to add. You aren't going for highest energy output. More energy doesn't = more penetration, more energy just means more energy.
>>
>>28371790
>only 2400fps
>only

ight. The thing weighs as much as an elephant.
>>
Revolvers don't jam.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.