[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Polycase ammo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3
File: 46558219666.jpg (66 KB, 650x433) Image search: [Google]
46558219666.jpg
66 KB, 650x433
Future or fad?
>>
>>28357004
current ammo with polymer cases shoehorned on them-fad
Ammunition and firearms designed to fire polymer ammo-possible future
>>
>>28357004
Depends if its any good.
>>
I'd buy it if it didn't melt under mag dumps. I imagine you'd have to make sure your barrel has full chamber support.
>>
>>28357004
FUTURE! One day soon there will be an at home building kit to turn Soybeans into cartridge cases.

Glorious biodegradeable ejections. Cheaper ammo, but not realoadable casings. Plastic obdurates in weird ways compared to brass.
>>
Never heard or seen such a thing. I guess with a well built chamber and a polymer that won't melt into it and cleanly eject it's possible.
>>
Wasn't the military working on the LSAT project using caseload ammo? Weight reduction was apparently pretty substantial just have to work on potential cook offs and ejection but I never heard of anything more.
>>
>>28357128
Caseless**
>>
>>28357004
Fadure!
>>
>>28357004
Have a box of 38 special from the 80s that was polycase. Nothing new.
>>
>>28357140
>>28357128
Polymer case =/= caseless.

Caseless, everything is self contained and burns off when fired, only leaving a small bit of residue left Polymer cases are just the same 9mm or 5.56 rounds, shoved into a polymer case instead of brass.
>>
>>28357004
Can't reload them.
>>
>>28357004
>Future or fad?
If it makes bullets go fast for cheaper at some point, I'll be happy, and so will a lot of other people.
So far, it's like very american company thinks they need to only make the highest quality brass cased ammo for taking durr hunting, while forgetting about the plinking crowd who just wants it to go bang.
I don't care if there's a slightly higher deviation between muzzle velocities or if it isn't reloadable. Just give me something cheap to bust mud with and clank steel targets within 400 or so yards, which is nothing special for any centerfire rifle.
I don't need to pay 20 bucks for 20rds of regular ass fmj 762x39 to do that when $5/20 ammo works borderline just as well.
>>
>>28357004
If i could 3d print cases so I wouldn't have to pay a million dollars to fire my enfield or arisaka I would be very happy.
>>
>>28357198
Can't reload Steele cases either, checkmate slavshitter.
>>
>>28357338
Steel a shit too. Brass master race.
>>
>>28357004
Will result in a lot of missing fingers when idiots put their new polymer shit rounds into their non-full coverage barrels.. and then destroying the barrels of people that don't lose their fingers.
>>
>>28357338
This video says otherwise
https://youtu.be/z5MqGlynqE0
>>
>>28357673
Did he just fucking yolo that powder charge?
>>
>>28357690
I'm assuming there is a line inside the case that indicates where the powder level should be. There's undoubtedly going to be variation, but he mentions at the end that they make them with reduced case capacity to prevent overcharging.

Still, I find it hilarious how he makes reloading seem like some sort of complicated and expensive industrial process, when you can have a basic single-stage kit for under $100.
>>
I run then through my FNX 45 for extra squishy.
>>
>>28357673
>Reduced casing space to prevent over loading
Ha! Way to turn a drawback into a plus. That's because polymer casings have thicker walls and can't have the same powder capacity.
>>
I can forsee some possible feeding/extraction issue with polycase due to overexpansion of the plastic and lack of weight compared to brass or steel case, especially during magdump or rapid fire. kind of like how semi auto shotguns have feeding issues.

I could be wrong though...
>>
>>28357004
In its current form, it will never be applicable in LE, military, or any security setting.

With polymer technology, I'm sure it's the future.
>>
>>28357054
I can see it now- you need a Class 6 FFL to plant soybeans or corn
>>
>>28357054
Yeah. But it wouldn't be available to civvies if its biodegradable because of muh gun violence.
>>
>>28357128
Cased telescoped.

About 30% weight savings, IIRC.

The Brit/French FRES 40mm gun also uses it.
>>
The future would be chrome cased ammo.
>>
>>28357171
The LSAT has a polymer cased version too, and that version is more likely to go somewhere than the caseless version as it offers all of the advantages of caseless ammo with none of the downsides and has less of the downsides of normal cased ammunition due to the new case design.
>>
MY HUMBLE OPINION IS...

It's too fucking hard for an individual to make their own brass cartridges.

Polymers may make it possible for the layman to make their own cartridges with cost savings and educational value.

I support that.
>>
Can someone give me the 5 second rundown on Polycase? It has started popping up on my internet radar a few months back but I am not sure what to make of it.
>>
>>28358952
If the polymer mixture was simple as say flour water starch or the like you could sell molds like thoose silcone bakeables and pop em out after 1 or 2 hours of cooking,.
Have a tray of 50 or 100 ....... i like it have to play around with it.
Maybe starch water corn meal, or oats.
Something that doesnt expand with cooking to much.
>>
>>28359091

You'd need something metal for molding is my guess.

Tolerances are tight and all.
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 536x520) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 536x520
>>28359091
Corn starch I could see, kinda like those degradable packing peanuts
Only issue I can see would be moisture related, unless they were varnished or sealed some way
>>
>tfw
Shooting a plastic target with a plastic bullet in a plastic casing from a plastic gun.
>>
>>28359352
Isn't aluminum ammo already varnished? Lacquered maybe?
But it's for increased strength, I think
>>
>>28357004
case separation/10
>>
>>28359519
Steel cased ammo usually is, but that might be to make it easier to feed and extract, plus rust resistance
>>
>>28359091
Easybake ovens would be next to presses on reloading benches
>>
>>28357198
Yeah you can.
>>
>>28358952
In the future historical and wildcat cartridges won't cost a shit ton of money.
>>
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/03/25/pcp-polymer-cased-ammo-warning/

Right now? Wouldn't go anywhere near polymer ammo.
Maybe once the kinks get sorted out.
>>
>>28359352
Beeswax.
>>
>>28357054
this, Id actually buy a 3d printer now
>>
>Polycase ammo

>Jesus, no.
>>
>>28357004
Anything that is made out of a renewable resource is future.
Anything that performs less than the original material it is meant to replace is fad.
>>
>>28358032
There's an annotation that states that the reduced casing space is only available for 9mm.
>>
Unless it is cheap and/or reloadable, the answer is fuck no.
>>
>>28359480
W E N E R F N O W B O Y S
>>
>>28357325
Russian Master Race!

Copper and lead = expensive.
Steel = cheap.

Mild steel core surrounded by small amount of lead.
Steel jacket covered by copper for reduced friction.
Steel case, lacquered or zinc-plated.

CHEAP!
>>
There was a crowd funding thing for Kinetic a while ago. I joined, but the product is quite a ways from market.

When I get ahold of some, I will try to make a thread.
>>
>>28357673
And all it takes to see Kinetic Munition's product is helping them raise their startup fees of 250,000 dollars and then purchasing the ammo at $18 dollars per box of 48 rounds.
This is going to revolutionize the ammo industry.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/kineticammo#/
>>
>>28357004

I make my bullets out of ice
>>
>>28365125
>"ice to meet you!"
>BANGBANGBANG
>"cool off!"
We Mr. Freeze now.
>>
>>28357004
have they put polymer bullets in a polymer case yet?

ghost rounds, yo
>>
>>28368477
see
>>28357673
>>
>>28358925
I dunno, they're basically using a modernized version of the G11 propellant for the caseless version, and the testing is supposedly going well.

But, yeah, the polymer case is the backup plan just in case the caseless round runs into issues.

What will be really interesting is which caliber and bullet design they go for--both LSAT solutions require a complete weapon replacement anyways, so they might as well open that can of worms while they're at it.
>>
>>28357004
Germans already use plastic shells in blank-rounds for training. Like 8 years ago I picked up some for 5.56 and 7.62 from their military training area.

https://www.google.pl/search?q=5.56+plastic+training+ammo&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls={moz:distributionID}:{moz:locale}:{moz:official}&tbm=isch&gws_rd=cr&ei=OUCEVqeJI8igsAHE1q14#tbm=isch&q=german+5.56+plastic+training+ammo
>>
>>28357004
May run into thermal issues like caseless ammunition had, because the brass/steel acts like a heatsink to remove a lot of heat from firing.
>>
>>28357326
I doubt you could get a strong enough case without injection molding + glass fibers, you'd probably rip the ends of cartridges off when trying to extract because of the way the 3D printer makes a sort of "Grain" in the plastic, like wood.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.